PDA

View Full Version : Why not "Legend of Drizzt" campaign setting?

Ozreth
2009-11-15, 08:46 PM
There are books for War of the Lance and Test of Twins and the original trilogy etc for Dragonalnce.

Why not books to adventure during the stories of Drizzt and crew?

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-15, 08:49 PM
Because people usually fall into one of these two categories.
1) Hey, Mr. DM, Sir, I made a character thats SOO cool, he's a Chaotic Good drow that fights against the evil of his race while lamenting the prejudice he faces. He's a ranger and ...
2) OMFG another annoying Drizzt clone; we must burn it. And all of R.A. Salvatore's works, for he has spawned these monsters.

nekomata2
2009-11-15, 08:50 PM
umm, so what's wrong with the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting?

Ozreth
2009-11-15, 08:52 PM
1) Hey, Mr. DM, Sir, I made a character thats SOO cool, he's a Chaotic Good drow that fights against the evil of his race while lamenting the prejudice he faces. He's a ranger and ...
2) OMFG another annoying Drizzt clone; we must burn it. And all of R.A. Salvatore's works, for he has spawned these monsters.

Ha! Yeah fair enough.

AshDesert
2009-11-15, 08:52 PM
Honestly, given the nature of the books, any other adventuring party during the time of Driz'zt and the gang are going to be very backseat compared to them. It isn't very fun to be not the most important person in the world as a PC.

Ozreth
2009-11-15, 08:53 PM
umm, so what's wrong with the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting?

Nothing but Dragonlance has a Dragonlance Campaign setting AND supplements to play during certain periods of Dragonlance. The latter is what Forgotten Realms needs for the legend of drizzt fans.

The FR CS is good BUT if you want to play a game during the period of all the drizzt stuff you need to wade through most of the book because it deals with the entire FR universe, which is massive.

Ozreth
2009-11-15, 08:55 PM
Honestly, given the nature of the books, any other adventuring party during the time of Driz'zt and the gang are going to be very backseat compared to them. It isn't very fun to be not the most important person in the world as a PC.

This is a good point. In Dragonlance there isnt much in the way of a single group of people that rises above all else.

Temet Nosce
2009-11-15, 09:06 PM

Yeah, honestly I enjoyed the books but I'd still tell anyone who wanted to run a good aligned Drow in a campaign I was running (without an absolutely incredible back story) no without a second thought.

Even though I enjoy the descriptions of Drow society the sheer proliferation of Drizzt clones has put me off the race. I've only played a Drow once (as a LE Discworld assassin, which was interesting), and doubt I'll play many in the future even if a DM offers me the LA Free.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-11-15, 09:11 PM
I joined a drow campaign once. The party was sexist, obviously. Fun twist - as followers of Vhaeraun, they were male sexist. And racist - I managed to convince the DM to let me play a Lesser Drow in exchange for being heckled by every civilized person I met. It didn't survive past the first dungeon.

Ozreth
2009-11-23, 04:58 AM
Hmm...I guess this is a start. I wouldn't play this though ha.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WPF4Z4/ref=asc_df_B000WPF4Z4969263?smid=A1FTM9C5SF0WDV&tag=yahoommp-toys-mp01-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000WPF4Z4

bosssmiley
2009-11-23, 12:05 PM
This is a good point. In Dragonlance there isnt much in the way of a single group of people that rises above all else.

Erm, The Heroes of the Lance? :smallconfused:

Draxar
2009-11-23, 01:31 PM
Because the books are about an adventuring party and individual adventurers doing those sorts of things. There's various political and wider scale stuff that goes on, but mostly it's about that little group and their travails.

The Dragonlance stuff takes place during huge world changing events. Sure, the book's party are relatively much at the centre of such, but there's still a lot for others to do, without butting heads with the party.

The same is far less true for Drizzit's stuff, or that which I've read of it, anyway.

herrhauptmann
2009-11-23, 03:57 PM
Hmm...I guess this is a start. I wouldn't play this though ha.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WPF4Z4/ref=asc_df_B000WPF4Z4969263?smid=A1FTM9C5SF0WDV&tag=yahoommp-toys-mp01-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000WPF4Z4

That's meant more for people that build warbands of mini's. It's the same as buying the colossal red, or gargantuan blue/black dragons, only it costs extra $10 for the wulfgar and drizzt minis.
The icingdeath box set has the figures and battlemap that you can play it as a regular D&D game, or just use the figures in your regular games.

Personally I'm against the idea of playing a game within the structure of the books. But that might be because the one time I did a dragonlance game, all of our adventures consisted of "Help Tanis do this." "Go here as a diversion so Caramon and flint can go somewhere else and be heroes." Though nowadays I'll blame that on a crappy DM.

Yora
2009-11-23, 04:04 PM
Well, if you want to play in the lands where Driz'zt experiences his adventures...

there is one! "Silver Marches"

Might be a bit difficult to come by now, but as a softcover book, it's probably not that expansive. It has quite detailed information on the local cities and major NPCs and also has infos on the local tribes of barbarians and orcs, and many of the dungeons, mountains and forests in the area.
I think it's one of my favorite 3.5e books and very well done.
Except that it lacks Icewind Dale, which is much further to the west. But everything in the surrounding lands around Mithral Hall is in it.

Talya
2009-11-23, 04:53 PM

Na. Drizzt is actually quite "Small-time" in FR...he doesn't have a major impact on many places. It's confined to small areas and out of the way tunnels that most players will never visit. It's very likely most people of waterdeep have never heard of Drizzt. Ask them about the old Marty Stu in Shadowdale, though, and they'll tell you all about Elminster.

(Yes, I know Greenwood claims that his real self-insertion into FR was Mirt the Moneylender, not Elminster, but does anyone really believe that?)

Shadwen
2009-11-23, 05:18 PM
The simple idea is that yes it can be done, but it shouldnt. Dont ruin something that was a good read because you have no imagination.

Blackfang108
2009-11-23, 05:25 PM
(Yes, I know Greenwood claims that his real self-insertion into FR was Mirt the Moneylender, not Elminster, but does anyone really believe that?)

I do.

Mirt is Greenwood as he IS.

Elminister is Greenwood as he WISHES he was.