PDA

View Full Version : ever smoking Bottle

awa
2009-11-16, 02:15 AM
in the description it says it completely obscures vision does this mean complete concealment 50%

Also does the smoke cause the normal effects of smoke such as choking?

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-16, 02:23 AM
Note that the Pyrotechnics spell is used in the creation of the item.

Now, smoke from Pyrotechnics does this:

Smoke Cloud
A writhing stream of smoke billows out from the source, forming a choking cloud. The cloud spreads 20 feet in all directions and lasts for 1 round per caster level. All sight, even darkvision, is ineffective in or through the cloud. All within the cloud take -4 penalties to Strength and Dexterity (Fortitude negates). These effects last for 1d4+1 rounds after the cloud dissipates or after the creature leaves the area of the cloud. Spell resistance does not apply.

Regular smoke does this:

Smoke Effects
A character who breathes heavy smoke must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing. A character who chokes for 2 consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage.

Smoke obscures vision, giving concealment (20% miss chance) to characters within it.

I'd go with the effects of regular smoke, personally.

userpay
2009-11-16, 10:25 AM
As a note in a forgotten realms novel an eversmoking bottle was "corrupted" and the smoke did various undead related things. I also had a version of the bottle approved where it was mist instead of smoke and it was holy mist.

dsmiles
2009-11-16, 11:01 AM

As much as I hate to do it...I agree.

Optimystik
2009-11-16, 11:25 AM

Why not both? I don't see anything in those two descriptions that are mutually exclusive. In fact, I don't see why the smoke cloud from pyrotechnics doesn't have the effects of mundane smoke either.

ericgrau
2009-11-16, 12:28 PM
The item description says it totally blocks vision, so that's 50% concealment.

Fort DC 15 + 1 per round or do nothing seems stronger than pyrotechnics if anything. Probably a bit OP if the item really does that, but IMO leave it out. Just say it's safe smoke not sooty, dirty smoke from a fire. Or the RAW reason is because the item description doesn't specify such an effect, and it is not mundane smoke.