PDA

View Full Version : You want to build a sword out of WHAT!

BRC
2009-11-16, 03:43 PM
So, my player's fought and defeated some ghouls, and being the resourceful types they were, one of them declared "I'm taking their teeth!". He now wants to build a sword out of them.
Now, I could say "Upon being separated from the Ghoul, the teeth become too brittle to make an effective weapon", or I say "Okay, now you have a masterwork longsword that just happens to be made out of Ghoul Teeth". But I don't really like those ideas (In fact, I already said I would let him not only give the sword, but give it some sort of special ability). Sounds good, except that I now have no idea what to do with said sword.
The character's are 4th level, and the Sword (or more accurately, somebody making the Sword) is going to be this character's treasure for an upcoming adventure.
So now I need ideas, the one I have right now is that if a Critical Hit is made with the sword, it casts Ghoul Touch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/ghoulTouch.htm). However, since I can't plug "Proc's on a critical hit" into the customizing magic items table, it's hard to tell if this is balanced.

So...Advice please?

Yukitsu
2009-11-16, 03:46 PM
There are some weapons with serrated edges made of teeth. They do damage in a manner similar to a bite, and as such, I'd change the sword to one that does bludgeoning/piercing/slashing, with no other effects.

They aren't as good vs. armour as a metal sword, or armoured people in general though, so I'd consider giving it a -2 to hit penalty vs. anyone wearing armour.

Exarch
2009-11-16, 03:49 PM
I don't even know how you'd begin to make a sword out of teeth. It boggles my mind, since teeth can't be forged, they're not exactly sharp enough for a blade, and how would you keep them together?

Now, if he wanted to use the bones as a crossguard and a hollowed femur for the hilt, then wrapped in hilt in ghoulskin...I can see that.

If he wants to stick with the teeth, maybe have him take a hammer? Have the teeth be part of the striking head.

Edit: As far as balance goes and keeping all things equal, see what a Wand of Ghoul Touch is. IMO, it shouldn't be that unbalanced since it's only on crit. Going to be a +1 weapon too?

Duke of URL
2009-11-16, 03:50 PM
Sounds likely to be unbalanced. Special abilities on a crit are typically at least +2 enhancements (making the sword a minimum +3 item), and the effects are pretty severe. The good news is that it should allow for a save -- I can't find a formula for calculating that, but DC 14 seems pretty standard.

BRC
2009-11-16, 03:51 PM
I don't even know how you'd begin to make a sword out of teeth. It boggles my mind, since teeth can't be forged, they're not exactly sharp enough for a blade, and how would you keep them together?

Now, if he wanted to use the bones as a crossguard and a hollowed femur for the hilt, then wrapped in hilt in ghoulskin...I can see that.

If he wants to stick with the teeth, maybe have him take a hammer? Have the teeth be part of the striking head.
I imagine the sword looking something like this
http://www.precolumbianweapons.com/images/aztec.14.jpg
The actual structure of the blade is made of something different, but instead of a continuous blade you have the teeth forming a serrated edge.

Exarch
2009-11-16, 03:52 PM
Sounds likely to be unbalanced. Special abilities on a crit are typically at least +2 enhancements (making the sword a minimum +3 item), and the effects are pretty severe. The good news is that it should allow for a save -- I can't find a formula for calculating that, but DC 14 seems pretty standard.

Thing about that, like the Flaming Burst and other Burst enhancements is that they retain the +1d6 element bonus damage (like Flaming) on top of giving an additional bonus.

FoE
2009-11-16, 03:53 PM
I thought it was the ghoul's claws, not its teeth, that transmitted the paralyzing venom.

BRC
2009-11-16, 03:54 PM
I thought it was the ghoul's claws, not its teeth, that transmitted the paralyzing venom.
Seeing as the Paralysis effect occurs on both a Ghoul's Claw and Bite attacks, it appears to be both.

Chrono22
2009-11-16, 03:54 PM
I can see someone making a sword out of a single tooth... but normal, ghoul sized teeth? Not likely.

Yakk
2009-11-16, 03:55 PM
+0 unholy longsword?
+0 viscious longsword?
+0 ghost touch longsword?
+0 necrotic touch longsword? (+1d4 negative energy damage on a hit)

Duke of URL
2009-11-16, 04:00 PM
Thing about that, like the Flaming Burst and other Burst enhancements is that they retain the +1d6 element bonus damage (like Flaming) on top of giving an additional bonus.

Yeah, but paralysis kind of really, really sucks as compared to some extra dice of damage. Save-or-die on a crit has to be at least a +2, even with a low DC. Disruption is a +2, and it only works on undead -- paralysis against humanoids should be considered at least as expensive.

FoE
2009-11-16, 04:00 PM
Wouldn't a weapon using ghoul parts be useless, as the ghoul is no longer generating its paralyzing poison? I mean, a cobra's fang doesn't remain poisonous forever after it's been taken from a cobra.

Unless you've ruled that it's an inherent magical ability, like a medusa's head that continues to petrify people after it's been severed from the body, I'd just say the ghoul part weapons are ineffective.

This isn't like making armour of dragon scales, after all.

BRC
2009-11-16, 04:01 PM
I can see someone making a sword out of a single tooth... but normal, ghoul sized teeth? Not likely.

Already been over the structure of the Sword (Teeth held between two plates, sticking out to form a serrated edge, kind of like This (http://www.precolumbianweapons.com/images/aztec.14.jpg)). And he's got a lot of teeth (From multiple Ghouls).

How about this, instead of a Ghoul touch spell, I have the sword replicate the Paralysis effect of an actual ghoul, so it's 1d4+1 rounds (instead of Ghoul Touch's 1d6+2), and there is no Sickening cloud.

@^ A wizard did it. The expensive part in this case is not the physical forging of the Sword itself (That's relatively cheap), but getting a spellcaster (In this case a Witch Doctor they are doing a favor for) to enchant the sword so the Teeth retain their paralytic properties.

Tyndmyr
Seeing as the Paralysis effect occurs on both a Ghoul's Claw and Bite attacks, it appears to be both.

Better not fail those craft checks.

Thurbane

I'm picturing something like this (though I don't know you'd exactly call it a sword):

http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/db_images/objimage.jpg?width=200&height=250&irn=79861

arguskos
....and everyone forgets that MAGIC can fix all the issues with creating it. Making the damn thing isn't even vaguely relevant. What IS relevant is what it does.

BRC, I'd suggest you make the weapon a +1 consumptive longsword that can cast Ghoul Touch 1/day through the weapon like a duskblade's arcane channel ability. It has the ghoulish feel, does some negative energy damage, and really would make him feel like he's wielding a ghoul's essence.

Mr.Bookworm
2009-11-16, 04:04 PM

Those hit by a ghoul’s bite or claw attack must succeed on a DC 12 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds. Elves have immunity to this paralysis. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Nooope.

I imagine the sword looking something like this
http://www.precolumbianweapons.com/images/aztec.14.jpg
The actual structure of the blade is made of something different, but instead of a continuous blade you have the teeth forming a serrated edge.

If I remember my Aztec weapons right (admittedly a lot of my experience comes from reading the Scion books so I may not be right), they used those things more like clubs with sharp bits on them. For another thing, it's pretty impractical to build a combat blade with a serrated edge. Go stab a slice of meat with a serrated knife, and you'll see what I mean. It's hard to get out, and serrated edges are designed with sawing in mind, which is not exactly a practical combat technique. So anyway.

Also, is it a Magickal Sworde?

If not, I'd say a masterwork weapon is more than fair enough. Maybe let it spread Ghoul Fever? Not much use, but it could come in handy.

If so, allowing it to activate Ghoul's Touch on a critical hit (or maybe 1/day on a normal hit) sounds good.

Either way, I'd give him a bonus to Intimidate and a penalty to Diplomacy when he has the thing out.

sonofzeal
2009-11-16, 04:07 PM
See, for the visual, I'd go for something more like....

http://macuahuitl.com/pb/wp_98514d3c/images/img2166445baeb2de9b02.JPG

.....yeah.

LibraryOgre
2009-11-16, 04:08 PM
I'd say pick an appropriate +1 enchantment. Maybe Bane? Make them especially nasty to something?

AslanCross
2009-11-16, 04:12 PM
I'd say pick an appropriate +1 enchantment. Maybe Bane? Make them especially nasty to something?

I'd go with this. Fleshgrinding comes to mind, but that's +2.

Schylerwalker
2009-11-16, 04:17 PM
Instead of actually using the fangs/claws to make some sort of weird, not terribly functional weapon, I'm imagining grinding the teeth/claws into powder and then mixing them into the metal during the forging process.

Perhaps Ghoul Touch once per day would be acceptable. Or maybe it does extra damage to ghouls? Functions as an evil weapon for the purpose of overcoming DR? Something simple but cool. Maybe it gives you a bonus on saves against paralysis and stench? Or, maybe, it gives those it hits a penalty against those very things (Will negates, of course).

Kulture
2009-11-16, 04:17 PM
Just make it a physical version of blade of fear and pain, doing 1D6 damage and causing a fear effect, or in this case a paralysis effect, if you so wish.
The DC will be woefully low anyway, and the damage is pretty naff too.
It all ballances out quite nicely.
Fits fluff too, since the Blade of fear and pain is a blade comprised of disembodied gnashing teeth around a magically created, pseudo-biological base.

Sleepingbear
2009-11-16, 04:18 PM
If you want it to have some sort of negative energy effect from being a weapon made from undead parts, might I suggest masterwork weapon + touch of Fatigue on a critical?

Afterall, I imagine the ghoul's abilities to paralyze have been diluted somewhat with the removal of the actual ghoul.

In any case, this is a fairly unique effect that isn't all that powerful. Unless you consider a cantrip on crits to be game breaking.

And it allows for later enchantments. Maybe add a +1D6 to powers such as 'unholy'.

Myrmex
2009-11-16, 04:26 PM
Even if the ghoul teeth sword isn't going to be magical, why is everyone's immediate reaction "no can't have!"?

It's not like anyone here has ever handled ghoul teeth or has any idea how they work. They can bite through magical full plate, so I assume they're tougher and less brittle than the teeth in your mouth.

I say go for it. I'd make it MW with a +1 enhancement bonus to damage & attack and have it do piercing & slashing damage.

Mongoose87
2009-11-16, 04:29 PM
You could make it take a while to finish, so that a fitting enchantment doesn't make it overpowered.

Lysander
2009-11-16, 04:31 PM
I'm picturing something like this (though I don't know you'd exactly call it a sword):

http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/db_images/objimage.jpg?width=200&height=250&irn=79861

Here's one possibility, a blade that's sharp on one side and covered in jagged teeth on the other. Striking with the sharp side deals slashing damage, striking with the teeth-covered side does piercing and bludgeoning. The sharp side would have slightly higher accuracy, the bludgeoning side could have a special ability.

What if the sword casts Touch of Fatigue on any target (allowing the usual fortitude save) any time it deals damage with the piercing/bludgeoning side? On a critical failure it could cast Ghoul Touch instead.

BRC
2009-11-16, 04:31 PM
Okay, so currently I'm either thinking one of two things
1) The Teeth retain their potency, but only enough to take effect on especially devastating hits, paralyzes for 1d4+1 rounds on a Critical (Allows fort save).
OR
2) The potency of the Teeth is diluted, rather than paralyzing foes, merely inhibits muscle activity. casts Touch of Fatigue on every hit.
Edit: This second one has the benefit of actually being within a reasonable value for the amount of treasure they could be expected to gain in an adventure, however it only does so by having an effective CL of one, meaning the fatigue effect would be negated by a DC10 save And only last one round.

Zeful
2009-11-16, 04:38 PM
Instead of actually using the fangs/claws to make some sort of weird, not terribly functional weapon, I'm imagining grinding the teeth/claws into powder and then mixing them into the metal during the forging process.

I second this idea. Making a sword out of teeth, magic or no, isn't practical. Using the Ghoul teeth as a special regent for the process works.

Though, with the infusion of undead bone in the sword I'd have it register as evil on detect evil equal to the average HD of Ghouls used, in addition to it's normal effects.

Also, I wish to encourage this player into doing this more often, it sounds awesome.

Myrmex
2009-11-16, 04:41 PM
1) The Teeth retain their potency, but only enough to take effect on especially devastating hits, paralyzes for 1d4+1 rounds on a Critical (Allows fort save).
OR
2) The potency of the Teeth is diluted, rather than paralyzing foes, merely inhibits muscle activity. casts Touch of Fatigue on every hit.
Edit: This second one has the benefit of actually being within a reasonable value for the amount of treasure they could be expected to gain in an adventure, however it only does so by having an effective CL of one, meaning the fatigue effect would be negated by a DC10 save And only last one round.

I'm not sure how effective of abilities those are. I know I definitely wouldn't want to give up future loot to get two crappy effects that are going to rarely work.

[edit]
Actually #2 is pretty good, since it's not just criticals.

Shademan
2009-11-16, 04:45 PM

like this one. also: I think it is perfectly fine to make a sword of ghoul theeth because you're the dm, and whatever you say goes. It is strange, unrealistic and would not be able to penetrate armour. but guess what guys, ghouls arn't real! (at least thats what my doctor tells me) and its a fantasy game! We can do whatever we want!

Snails
Keep it interesting enough to be a reward to a player who is getting creative, but not so exciting as to cause regrets later.

I would suggest, on a confirmed critical hit, give the ghoul touch effect. Low level PCs do not critical all that often. High level monsters will shrug off the Fort save.

ghashxx

I like this version. The save is pretty sucky, but they're only 4th level and it's on every single hit. So as they go higher in level the weapon doesn't get completely useless really fast since he's hitting more often.

Lysander
2009-11-16, 04:50 PM
Why not start with Touch of Fatigue and give the player the option to improve the sword once he collects more parts from more powerful undead monsters? That way his iconic sword can level up with him.

BRC
2009-11-16, 04:51 PM
Here's an idea that involves less rolling. Rather than a Sword, the Ghoul Teeth are turned into a Necklace that gives a bonus to Fort Saves (Acting as a sort of Vaccine against such effects).
According to my math, the bonus for a +2 to all saves would cost 4000, but since this is only to Fort saves, I divide that by three, getting me a value of 1333 gp, which is about right for what a 4th level PC can pick up in one adventure.

Dimers
2009-11-16, 04:59 PM
I think that at the power level you're talking about, an appropriate special power would be 1 round of paralysis on a crit with a higher save DC ... I like 14 or 15. You can compare that power against "enfeebling": d6+2 Str damage on a crit, no save, +1 enhancement bonus.

EDIT: Also, what Lysander said. Especially if you have the player take Item Familiar next time he can get a feat.

Toliudar
2009-11-16, 05:06 PM
You can also offload the problem! Outline the basic parameters to the smartass player who kept the teeth (say, a sword with a market value of not more than X) and let them design their own darn sword. That way, they get exactly what they want, and it's as flavourful as they choose to make it. Sounds like it could be fun!

elonin
2009-11-16, 06:21 PM
....and everyone forgets that MAGIC can fix all the issues with creating it. Making the damn thing isn't even vaguely relevant. What IS relevant is what it does.

Not quite accurate. Before becoming magical it has to be masterwork. The only way to make a sword out of ghoul body parts would be fabricate.

Pika...
2009-11-16, 06:27 PM
Do you allow the Tinker rules from the WoW d20 book in your games? Or such things period?

If so, you could always make a:

http://www.battlefield40k.com/gallery/files/1/3/Chainsaw_Bloodmarine101.jpg

BRC
2009-11-16, 06:28 PM
To everybody who is throwing around "That doesn't make any sense", remember 2 things

Thing 1: I'm the DM here, and none of my players care enough about realism to throw out objections (especially since this is actually benefiting them). I don't mind, ergo, it's not a problem in My game. In somebody else's game it might be, but this is mine.
Thing 2: This is DnD, if we want to get hung up on things Not Making Sense, I think we can find plenty of things besides how I fluff a sword, like, for example, how somebody can take 5 hits from a greatsword and be just fine, then get stabbed with a dagger (not sneak attacked) and drop unconscious.

arguskos
2009-11-16, 06:35 PM
Not quite accurate. Before becoming magical it has to be masterwork. The only way to make a sword out of ghoul body parts would be fabricate.
Um. No? You can just use a handwavium spell to make the damn thing stick together, or, if you'd like to raid 2e (which has spells for this crap), use a Mirtul's miracle meld spell or a crown meld spell to make the damn things stick together like a single object. The unique construction surely counts as masterwork, after all, only a master craftsman could make something that doesn't fall apart easily, much less know about and use the meld spells.

Or, you know, HANDWAVIUM. Dude, what about "magic did it" is hard to grasp? It's fun for them, let's actually give some suggestions as to what it does.

wykydtron
2009-11-16, 06:39 PM
In reference to everyone who says that you can't make a sword out teeth, you're killing cat girls. It doesn't matter how realistic it is.

Edit: Sounds like some rockin' players you have. I want a ghoul tooth sword. :smallfrown:

Oslecamo
2009-11-16, 07:04 PM
I sugest that the sword is still undead and thus tries to bite whoever it hits, and then you can drop the sword and let it munch on the target's flesh.

Mercenary Pen
2009-11-16, 07:18 PM
Maybe you could do it by cutting them into strips and creating something of a laminate/lacquered weapon in the style of the Tsurani weapons in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar books.

Doing it that way would probably modify the DC for any craft checks involved, but what better way to make the player really have to work for his sword (and maybe even value it more once he has it).

At least we aren't trying to do this with Wights though.

Myrmex
2009-11-16, 07:19 PM
Maybe you could do it by cutting them into strips and creating something of a laminate/lacquered weapon in the style of the Tsurani weapons in Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar books.

Doing it that way would probably modify the DC for any craft checks involved, but what better way to make the player really have to work for his sword (and maybe even value it more once he has it).

At least we aren't trying to do this with Wights though.

There was an armor & shield enchantment in Defenders of the Faith that let your shield bash or gauntlet touch attacks inflict 1d4 negative levels, at will.

Noble Savant
2009-11-16, 07:23 PM
In general, I feel that effects that only trigger on a critical aren't that fun. You could see it as making the effect special, but I think that by the time the character actually criticals, it'll be glossed over mid-combat. I just don't like the idea.

The Touch of Fatigue one each attack would make for a lot of dice rolling, but sounds like a flavorful effect, (and, if you want to get technical, should probably only trigger as often at the Ghoul Touch effect, when the enemy rolls a 1 on the save), and it'll give the player something to look forward for on each attack in addition to damage.

I recommend adding some sort of a curse to the weapon as well. It’s been crafted from the teeth of a cannibalistic corpse and enchanted by a witch doctor. All that negative energy needs to have some unpleasant effect.

Zeful
2009-11-16, 07:28 PM
-2 to -4 to saves against paralysis would be a good start.

Dacia Brabant
2009-11-16, 07:30 PM
Re: paralysis on critical hit, the appropriately named Coup de Grace (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#coupdeGrace) weapon ability inflicts the same thing for 1 round and is a +5 enhancement. Now granted it's a DC 27 Will save as opposed to a DC 12 Fortitude save so it's naturally going to be much more powerful and therefore pricier, but I would argue that Ghoul Touch on crit is still worth a solid +2. A little out of range for 4th level characters.

Yeah I'd say go with it being 1/day use-activated on-hit, similar to the Duskblade's mechanic as suggested above.

Myrmex
2009-11-16, 07:33 PM
I would argue that Ghoul Touch on crit is still worth a solid +2. A little out of range for 4th level characters.

I wouldn't argue that, seeing how that is a crap ability, and would rather have corrosive or something that will always be doing damage.

Kelb_Panthera
2009-11-16, 08:14 PM
There is a precedent for this sort of thing. Dragoncraft weapons in the Draconomicon. While that's the teeth and claws of dragons, it's not much of a stretch to use a similar set of rules for the teeth of an undead creature, though you'd obviously have to hand wave the fact that even with the teeth of a dozen humanoid sized creatures you'd only have enough mass to make a weapon of about dagger size. As such, a simple +1 negative energy damage on each hit could be sufficient. If you really want to give it a special affect, maybe something along the line of a str or dex penalty, with an appropriate save to negate, on each hit. Since penalties like this don't stack iirc it shouldn't cause a problem.

BRC
2009-11-16, 08:53 PM
Here, the character in question is a Rogue, so maybe something like this
Ghoul Fang Dagger
The cutting edge of this serrated dagger is made out of teeth harvested from ghouls. The Ghoul's venom is less potent than it once was, but it is still present, and can take effect if the weapon is used with precision. If a sneak attack is successfully made with a Ghoul Fang dagger, the target becomes Fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds (no save). If the attack is also a critical hit, the target becomes Exhausted.

By replacing the Saving Throw with another requirement to trigger (It must be on a Sneak Attack) I've cut down the rolling that needs to be done (Rolling a fort save every time he attacks with the Dagger would get old fast). The Exhausted on a Critical Hit effect is kind of powerful yes, but it just feels right. I might drop it though.

Edit: the No Save also means this weapon dosn't become obsolete when a DC10 fort save becomes trivial. If there is one thing worse than rolling every time he attacks, it would be doing so with the knowledge that the enemy will only fail on a 1.

ghashxx
2009-11-16, 09:10 PM
If a sneak attack is successfully made with a Ghoul Fang dagger, the target becomes Fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds (no save). If the attack is also a critical hit, the target becomes Exhausted.

I'm not so certain about this unless you're getting ready to have all of your enemies being constantly fatigued. If you're okay with then then I would say run with it.

Holocron Coder
2009-11-16, 10:06 PM
Ghoul Fang Dagger
The cutting edge of this serrated dagger is made out of teeth harvested from ghouls. The Ghoul's venom is less potent than it once was, but it is still present, and can take effect if the weapon is used with precision. If a sneak attack is successfully made with a Ghoul Fang dagger, the target becomes Fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds (no save). If the attack is also a critical hit, the target becomes Exhausted.

I'd drop the duration to 1 round, no save. The logic of this is that a good rogue will be hitting for sneak attack every single round, or nearly enough. 1 round is likely to keep them locked up the entire battle, much less the guarantee of 1d4+1 rounds. And 1 round is still powerful when its applied that often.

Crow
2009-11-16, 10:37 PM
Here you go. Micronesian sharktooth sword. Made from wood, shark's teeth, and wound fiber.
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2906/sharktoothsword.jpg

Human Paragon 3
2009-11-16, 10:41 PM
Make it a sudden stunning long sword. You can find the sudden stunning effect in the magic item compendium. Essentially, 3 times per day when you hit, you can force a save or stun on your enemy.

BRC
2009-11-16, 10:52 PM
I'd drop the duration to 1 round, no save. The logic of this is that a good rogue will be hitting for sneak attack every single round, or nearly enough. 1 round is likely to keep them locked up the entire battle, much less the guarantee of 1d4+1 rounds. And 1 round is still powerful when its applied that often.
I think I'll make that 2 rounds of fatiuge per hit instead of one.

Asbestos
2009-11-16, 11:04 PM
This seems to be a smaller version of the Sharktooth Staff from Savage Species.

ghashxx
2009-11-16, 11:05 PM
I like the 2 round. It makes the weapon nice for hit and move along, but doesn't make it so a rogue can nab most of all the enemies with fatigue.

Dimers
2009-11-16, 11:28 PM
If a sneak attack is successfully made with a Ghoul Fang dagger, the target becomes Fatigued for [2] rounds (no save). If the attack is also a critical hit, the target becomes Exhausted.

Would two sneak attacks in a row also upgrade to Exhausted?

ghashxx
2009-11-17, 12:13 AM
Would two sneak attacks in a row also upgrade to Exhausted?

I really hope not. This would be great for upper levels, like an additional +1 synergy to upgrade the weapon. Otherwise, at only level 4 and with just two sneak attacks you've got an exhausted opponent with no save? Now that's just brutal.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-17, 01:01 AM
Ghoul Teeth Longsword:

This Masterwork weapon grants a +1 to the DC of any Necromancy spells the wielder casts. This bonus does not stack with the bonus granted by Spell Focus.

dspeyer
2009-11-17, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure how effective of abilities those are. I know I definitely wouldn't want to give up future loot to get two crappy effects that are going to rarely work.

For the future issue, you could pick five increasing powers. He gets a +1 sword with the first power. When he upgrades it to a +2 (for the normal price), he'll unlock the second power and so on.

Powers might include fatigue, negative energy damage, strength damage, and, of course, paralysis.

PhoenixRivers
2009-11-17, 02:46 AM
The idea here is that it must have a special power. It need not be an amazing one.

Perhaps one point of the damage it deals is negative energy damage.

Perhaps it exudes a foul scent that obscures other scents, making it more difficult to track the bearer by scent.

Perhaps it grants +1 DC or +1 Caster level to necromancy spells, or the specific spell "Ghoul Touch".

Perhaps it grants a +4 circumstance bonus to Charisma based checks vs intelligent undead.

It needn't be a heavy duty combat ability.

Perhaps it can taint the water it's dipped in, or deal double damage to dead flesh (not undead).

Maybe you get a +1 bonus to rebuke attempts.

It can be small, so as to not have a huge impact, and still be personalized. Allow it to be masterwork, and the player can enchant it later, should he choose to.

dyslexicfaser
2009-11-17, 02:52 AM
To me, a ghoul tooth sword held together by witch doctor mojo should hate life. Make it cinematic.

Either up the critical to x3 or even x4, or give it a wider range of critical than normal (17-20?) and on a critical give a description about how the sword itself seems to jump past its opponent's guard to bite into flesh.

Also, it should look like this: http://www.howdididoit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/chainsaw.jpg

On a critical, the teeth give off a screech and seem to ripple with hunger, creating a visual effect of the teeth moving on their own.

Or just give it Fleshgrinding, which really works with how I imagine the finished weapon to be. Nom noms.

Terazul
2009-11-17, 02:56 AM
If he plans on keeping it for awhile, and you think of more fun abilities (there seem to be alot already), you could always have it eventually develop into a Legacy Weapon for the character in question.

Arachu
2009-11-17, 07:58 AM
I like this idea. I suggest the single-blade idea mentioned earlier (one side has teeth), but with the entire blade carrying the effect, whichever effect you land on.

That, or you could say that the fangs are arranged so that the sharp edges point out rather than the points, giving the blade a continuous edge of venom-teeth.

Could you get away with a magically-preserved toxin sack in the hilt or pommel? Taking that route, you could switch the effects out easily (up to and including other things like knockout poison), and even enchant the blade.

dsmiles
2009-11-17, 08:05 AM
Hey, I once made a scythe from Umber Hulk mandibles, and a bow from an evil treant's branch. I'm all for it.

EDIT: Also, appearance should brobably be somewhere in the neighborhood of a CSM Chainsword.

String
2009-11-17, 08:41 AM
Hawaiian Tooth-sword/club (http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/yhst-75377436552253_2058_113502867)
Some tooth-sword someone made (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/57948921_8840561068.jpg)

I really have no idea where this "you can't make a sword out of teeth" thing comes from. or the idea that it must be like a chainsaw, or one sided.

BRC
2009-11-17, 09:42 AM
I threw the "Fatigues for 2 rounds on a Sneak Attack" at the player in question and he likes it. Currently we have it as a Dagger, but I might let it be a Shortsword (Or perhaps a Cutlass).

However, this "Fleshgrinding" ability intrigues me, I wish to learn more.

The Random NPC
2009-11-17, 10:34 AM
I don’t remember the specifics, but what it does is on a hit you can command the weapon to grind. While grinding, the weapon will deal normal damage every turn automatically for about four turns and requires a strength check to remove, unless you command it to stop grinding.

dyslexicfaser
2009-11-18, 01:45 AM
Yeah, the sword will basically keep digging deeper into the guy while you can do other things. It's in MIC.

Have him pack a backup weapon.

icefractal
2009-11-18, 03:39 AM
Fleshgrinding is cool, but maybe not an ability you'd want on your primary weapon - it's more of a secondary weapon distraction tactic. A really nasty combination is Fleshgrinding+Masterslaying, so when they finally do pull it out, you activate Masterslaying and it sticks back into them.

WeeFreeMen
2009-11-18, 04:15 PM
+0 unholy longsword?
+0 viscious longsword?
+0 ghost touch longsword?
+0 necrotic touch longsword? (+1d4 negative energy damage on a hit)

I second the Viscious part. Ghost touch is..Meh.
Necrotic fits to a tee(th..hehe puns)

However, you could always make it start out cursed and have some fun side quest with that. Make him actually work for the awesome sword of awesome.
(Especially if your gonna give him Ghoul Touch)

^_^d