PDA

View Full Version : The Phoenix, when its time comes to die, lays two eggs [Creature]

Icewalker
2009-11-17, 03:37 PM
Xhinope
Medium Magical Beast [cold]
HD 10d10+40 (95 HP)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Fly (perfect) 70 ft.
Init: +4
AC 21; touch 15; flat-footed 16
(+6 natural, +5 Dex)
BAB +10; Grp +12
Attack Bite +15 (1d8+4+Consume Life)
Full-Attack Bite +15 (1d8+4+Consume Life)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Spell-like abilities, Consume Life, Magic of Mortal Smoke
Special Qualities DR 5/magic, Immunity to Cold, Vulnerability to Fire
Saves Fort +11 Ref +12 Will +7
Abilities Str 19, Dex 21, Con 18, Int 20, Wis 19, Cha 22
Skills Bluff +19, Hide +18, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (Nature) +18, Listen +17, Move Silently +18, Spot +17
Feats Dodge, Mobility, Fly-by Attack, Improved Fly-by Attack, Weapon Finesse (B)
Environment Places of death, such as graveyards.
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 8
Alignment Neutral
Advancement 11-16 (medium), 17-22 (large)

The black scaled snakelike form twists and curls in blurry spirals, smoke trailing from its body to fill the air. For a moment it turns towards you and you can see it's piercing greenish yellow eyes, black vertical slits staring down through you. It's hard to tell where the scaled snakelike body and the wings of smoke begin.

The Phoenix, when its time comes to die, lays two eggs, one black, one white: From the white egg hatches the Phoenix-bird itself, when its time is come, but from the black egg hatches the antithesis of the beautiful bird. While the Phoenix is the embodiment of rebirth, the Xhinope contains the essence of the darker side of the cycle of life and death: ending.

Spell-like Abilities: At Will - Inflict Light Wounds, Ray of Enfeeblement, Death Knell, 3/day - Darkness, Blindness/Deafness, Ghoul Touch, Inflict Moderate Wounds, 1/day - Ray of Exhaustion, Enervation

Consume Life (Su): The bite of the Xhinope drains the life from any living being it strikes. The bite of a Xhinope deals 1d4+1 Constitution damage. On a successful DC 21 Fortitude save this damage is reduced by half.

Magic of Mortal Smoke (Su): Whenever a Xhinope uses its spell like abilities, they rip and tear at the life of those they affect. Whenever a creature is made to save against a Xhinope's spell like ability, they must succeed on a DC 21 Fortitude save or suffer 1d3 Constitution damage.

[hr]
The inspiration from this is drawn from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, in one issue of which the first line or so of this creature's background is drawn from directly. Felt I had to stat up the being which hatches from the second egg.

Edwin
2009-11-17, 03:44 PM
Looks deadly. All that con damage ought to do some nasty things.

Delandel
2009-11-17, 11:33 PM
Very nice! Are you sure the fort DC isn't too high though? I would suggest dropping it to 20 or 19.

Icewalker
2009-11-17, 11:38 PM
Half HD + Cha modifier. I could drop the Charisma a few points though, yeah, I did note that it was a quite high DC.