PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Epic Spells

Itous
2009-11-19, 08:17 AM
hi all, my character is not far off being epic, i've had a look at some examples given in the EPHB but i feel like i am lacking insperation for my own spells also i would need some examples of balanced ones.

so i was wondering if there would be anyone out there intrested in making a couple and posting them to help me cure me of my insperational problems (no i'm not just going to use it) i have lost my book annoyingly
-.- and without something to read up on i am lost.

besides i would be intrested to see what other people can come up with.

--EDIT--

just had a thought is there a way to make some sort of "epic mass" "spectral hand" "teleport" "slay living" spell? that would naturally including the transport and slay seed but can't remember what the others are or do

does the energy seed cover spectral hand or is that something else completely?

basicly how ther spell would work is you would spend 1 full round to summon a "epic mass" of sperctral hands, which you could then give one command to such as "Attack Town X!" they would then teleport there and start picking people off

Nhoj
2009-11-20, 09:08 PM
Well I created an epic level spell that let my undead spell caster to summon a dragon. You could click the link in my signature and check it out. I'm not sure if it will help any.

Creating epic level spells can be difficult. There is which seeds to use, such as healing, destruction and what not. Then if there is an xp being used. Then adding additional casting time to lower the spellcraft DC.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 09:31 PM
Well I created an epic level spell that let my undead spell caster to summon a dragon. You could click the link in my signature and check it out. I'm not sure if it will help any.

Creating epic level spells can be difficult. There is which seeds to use, such as healing, destruction and what not. Then if there is an xp being used. Then adding additional casting time to lower the spellcraft DC.

If you are using EXP, you are doing it wrong.

The Rules As Written (RAW) make it virtually impossible to create an epic spell that can even match the power of a non epic spell at level 21, and doing that requires more gold than you can probably spend. The only good epic spells are the ones you mitigate to 0 spellcraft DC so they don't cost you anything.

Temotei
2009-11-22, 07:28 PM
Or the ones you cast when you're level . That way, you're practically swimming in encumbrance from platinum pieces, and you're able to make spells that are super! [I]SUPER! Yeah. :smalltongue: Like this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/vengefulGazeOfGod.htm). Except without the damage to the caster. Hehehe...:smalleek:

EDIT: Nah. Milskidasith is pretty much right on the money.

Itous
2009-11-23, 09:53 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA i can amke a spell effect all monsters in a range of.....

136.363636 miles from the centre point with a 0 DC on the spell craft check :) with no feedback, it was my first attempt at making familicide without using the contact seed.

will post more at some point having comp issues and not at home right now.

by for now all

Nhoj

it takes me to some kind of online character sheet there is no descritpion of the epic spells and what they do or how they work, i do appriciate the effort though and if i have missed it i appologies i am in a bit of a rush to be honest.

Itous

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 10:25 AM
If you're not down with that, we got two words for ya':

Mass Chicken

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-23, 12:25 PM
Try here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm)

Mongoose87
2009-11-23, 01:13 PM
Sorry, did you say "balanced?"

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-11-23, 02:18 PM
Well, the only epic spell I've used in the past four or five campaigns was one the bad guy cast last session which covered a land area equivalent to Europe in an impenetrable shell and lasted for a week outside while 7 years passed inside via some interesting interactions with the Plane of Shadow and Plane of Dreams. Other than that, I can't think of anything particularly interesting,

hamishspence
2009-11-23, 02:37 PM
Balancing epic spells would be a job and a half.

To begin with, virtually all ways of getting free cuts to the casting cost, should be cut back.

No gated outsiders. Especially no mind-controlled gated outsiders.

Possibly, a cap on how high level the spell can be, before mitigating factors are applied. Maybe three times your caster level?

dsmiles
2009-11-23, 02:42 PM
The epic spell system in the 3.x epic level handbook is balanced. If a caster can reduce the cost or spellcraft check, that just means he/she is a better researcher than the average epic caster.

hamishspence
2009-11-23, 02:51 PM
The term "tippyverse" is commonly used, when Epic Handbook spells are used as written, with DCs being lowered to 0, hordes of lesser casters boosting the spell effect sky-high, etc.

When a 21st level wizard can kill whole pantheons with 1 spell, at 0 XP to research, you know you have a problem.

Hence, what I said about heavy limitations.

Dante & Vergil
2009-11-28, 08:26 AM
I'm going to point you guys here to this (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=266) for fixes and what not to the Epic Spellcasting system.