Gut Message
Enchantment (Mind-Affecting)
Sor/Wiz 0, Bard 0, Cleric 0, Druid 0
Casting Time: swift action
Range: Infinite (Same Plane)
Save: Will Negates (harmless)
Duration: Instantaneous
Components: V
When this spell is cast, the caster selects a person who knows and is known by the caster. These people recieve a feeling that the caster is in trouble, which will usually seem to be just a hunch. If they are not on the same plane, the spell fails and the caster is not made aware of this. In order to guarantee full success, the caster must have spent 24 waking hours practicing this spell with the target. If this is not done, the target must make a DC 30 Spellcraft check, with an untyped bonus equal to the caster's caster level. If either of these conditions are met, then the target is aware that the feeling came from a spell.

Ashtagon
2009-11-20, 02:55 PM
This is easily more powerful than level 2 spells that do communication, such as animal messenger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animalmessenger.htm) and whispering wind (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/whisperingWind.htm).

Give it a range of "Long", and it'd be at a reasonable power level for a cantrip. As written, that range makes it a good candidate for a 2nd level spell.

Compare it with message (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/message.htm) for a communication cantrip.

DracoDei
2009-11-20, 03:27 PM
There is a similar spell in "Dread Mire" called Mystic Outcry. It is a cleric(1)/druid(2)/paladin spell(1) targets the nearest member of the same religious order, or failing that the nearest member of your Faith on the same plane. The communication is two way and includes translation.

First level might be a little low, but it is useful as a plot-hook, so that excuses it.

0th level is almost certainly too low.

BRC
2009-11-20, 03:33 PM
I think 0th level works for this, since you can't communicate your location, situation, or the nature of the trouble, merely that you are in trouble somewhere. Comparing it to "Message" dosn't fit because you can't actually use it to communicate, merely to alert.

I would limit the range though, maybe 1 mile/level.

Fortuna
2009-11-20, 03:46 PM
Range is now limited. This really is a lot less useful than most of you would seem to believe, since as BRC said it can't communicate anything other than that you are in trouble. If they are aware of where you are, they can come and help, or otherwise they can use some sort of communication spell themelves. Should I limit it to one target? Would that be better?

DracoDei
2009-11-20, 04:13 PM
Single target... eh, yeah that works.

sigurd
2009-11-20, 07:55 PM
I would also include a requirement for 'intimate detail' or talisman.

So you couldn't use this spell to call someone you didn't know well.

The caster casts this spell and contemplates a known emblem or action of the target. The next time the target engages in that activity or handles that item they receive the 'sense of alarm'.

Targets must make a sense motive check DC10 to receive any thing at all.

This spell can also be used to link two targets. Cast as a range touch the caster prepares a channel for possible future communication. When sent to a prepared target the alarm is immediate and the sense motive check reveals one simple element of the predicament. ie. 'Buster is near death in the North'.

Casters may have a number of prepared targets equal to their wisdom bonus, minimum one. Preparation lasts for 1 week per caster level.

Latronis
2009-11-20, 09:26 PM
1 intimately known target receives a Caster is in trouble feeling should be fine for a cantrip even with the full range of 'the same plane'

Fortuna
2009-11-20, 10:17 PM
How about if I made it single target and say that the caster must have spent 24 hours with the target practicing this spell to guarantee success. If they have not, then the target must make a DC 30-caster level Spellcraft check to recieve the feeling. How would that be?

EDIT: I have put that into the OP.

Milskidasith
2009-11-20, 10:25 PM
A DC 30 check is nuts for a cantrip (even if it is to make the cantrip work).

It's fine as it is. A feeling somebody is in danger? That's not even enough to get them to act unless they are very worried about you anyway, let alone convince other people to act with them. It's fine for a cantrip as is.

Fortuna
2009-11-20, 10:31 PM
OK, now that is to make the target sure that it is not just their imagination. Otherwise, they just get a feeling.

Latronis
2009-11-20, 10:40 PM
You know I don't think you need worry about the whole 'knowing it's a spell' deal. They can either check into the feeling or ignore it. What you might wanna do is describe the strength of the feeling though so it's less likely to be confused with random a feeling about the person.

In which case it should probably count as a mind-effecting spell. Ofc then it would pretty much need a will save included, but Will Save: Yes(Harmless) isn't a big deal.

I'd suggesst targets that are aware of the spell's existence. You know so they might actually trust such feelings of oh crap whatisface is in trouble!

Could have some interesting synergy with Refuge.

Fortuna
2009-11-20, 11:13 PM
I have added the Mind-Affecting, Enchantment, and Will save. What is Refuge?

Latronis
2009-11-20, 11:45 PM
Refuge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/refuge.htm) specifically the 2nd part of it.

Fortuna
2009-11-20, 11:55 PM
Very interesting synergy, but Refuge is a high enough level that I don't think that it would be any sort of issue. Useful at those levels though.

Latronis
2009-11-21, 12:46 AM
At those levels i doubt it'd make a difference. At low level SOS is pretty much limited in usefulness except for scouting or the like, bringing the party back together since they should know where each other is roughly in a dungeon situation. (unless for someone reason you happen to know an epic level caster intimitely enough to qualify>_>)

Just thought it was a nifty kinda 'contingency' for little loss of resources in the moment worth mentioning.

LordZarth
2009-11-21, 01:57 PM
Really interesting spell!

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-21, 04:10 PM
This, is the only spell I've seen in the playground that has interested me! Well done!

To me, this seems strong for a 0th level, but weak for a 1st level. However, it's use is sharply limited to the range of something like open/close: only one use.

Fortuna
2009-11-21, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all of the wonderful responses! I am relatively new to third edition (although my sig is now out of date, as I do play), and so it is nice to know that I can get the hang of this sort of stuff,

Latronis
2009-11-21, 11:01 PM
It could do with a different name though.. not very 'magicy'

Temotei
2009-11-21, 11:55 PM
It could do with a different name though.. not very 'magicy'

Exactly my thoughts. How about Alert? Or Gut Message, Danger Signal...yep. That's all I've got for now.

Fortuna
2009-11-22, 12:54 AM
I think I'll go with Gut Message, and will edit the OP to reflect that.