PDA

View Full Version : One hand to two

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 03:32 PM
Is there any way by RAW to treat one handed weapon wielding as two handed? Needed to finish off what I think is the final issue in Dual Wielding Double Weapons.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 03:49 PM
There is no way to treat a weapon wielded single handed as a two handed weapon for strength bonus and power attack if that is what you are asking.

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 03:50 PM
Well, if that's the case, any other methods of achieving double double weapons?

arguskos
2009-11-20, 03:52 PM
There is no way to treat a weapon wielded single handed as a two handed weapon for strength bonus and power attack if that is what you are asking.
I thought you could always two-hand something if you wished?

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 03:52 PM
Revenant Blade from teh Player's Guide to Eberron allows 1.5 Str for Double Scimitars, so you're an aptitude weapon away from using a different weapon for it, I think.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 04:00 PM
Double Eapons:
The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

One-Handed

A one-handed weapon can be used in either the primary hand or the off hand. Add the wielder’s Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a one-handed weapon if it’s used in the primary hand, or ½ his or her Strength bonus if it’s used in the off hand. If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1½ times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls.

You can't two hand a light weapon.

sofawall
2009-11-20, 04:01 PM
Revenant Blade from teh Player's Guide to Eberron allows 1.5 Str for Double Scimitars, so you're an aptitude weapon away from using a different weapon for it, I think.

Is Revenant Blade a class? Because think Aptitude is Feats-only.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 04:09 PM
Is Revenant Blade a class? Because think Aptitude is Feats-only.

Prestige Class, yeah. I'm fuzzy on the operation and abuse of Aptitude, so perhaps i'm incorrect.

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 04:16 PM
Double Weapons:
The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.

This is what I am going for. I want to do this. I am not interested in strength, or power attack. I want to be able to dual wield Double Weapons and use both ends of each of them. To do this I need to be able to count it as 2 hands. That is the question I want answered.

PinkysBrain
2009-11-20, 04:16 PM
I thought you could always two-hand something if you wished?
I didn't say otherwise.

PS. although what I said was wrong, completely forgot about the revenant blade.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 04:19 PM
This is what I am going for. I want to do this. I am not interested in strength, or power attack. I want to be able to dual wield Double Weapons and use both ends of each of them. To do this I need to be able to count it as 2 hands. That is the question I want answered.

Well then
The only way to do that is to play a Thri-keen from the MM
Though to be honest you would be better off dual wielding a two handed weapon instead of a double..

May I ask why you want to dual wield a double ended weapon as a 2 two handers?

Wow that made my brain hurt.

arguskos
2009-11-20, 04:23 PM
I didn't say otherwise.

PS. although what I said was wrong, completely forgot about the revenant blade.
I read that as "a one-handed weapon can never add more than +Str to damage", which isn't right, concerning the SRD quote above. That was my confusion. Looks like it's sorted though. :smallwink:

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 04:23 PM

I thought I had cleared it up, but I guess I'll have to describe it a little more in depth.

Double Weapons count as two weapons
They can be physically wielded in one hand
They can be dual wielded
That means that with 2 hands you can wield 4 weapons
The only problem is that the rules state you can't use the "double" part unless you are using 2 hands
I want to count as using 2 hands so I can use the double property
All other details, such as strength and power attack are irrelevant.

Also, in a related note, could the 4 attacks be done with just TWF, or would you need MWF?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 04:28 PM
I thought I had cleared it up, but I guess I'll have to describe it a little more in depth.

Double Weapons count as two weapons
They can be physically wielded in one hand
They can be dual wielded
That means that with 2 hands you can wield 4 weapons
The only problem is that the rules state you can't use the "double" part unless you are using 2 hands
I want to count as using 2 hands so I can use the double property
All other details, such as strength and power attack are irrelevant.

Also, in a related note, could the 4 attacks be done with just TWF, or would you need MWF?

They can be physically wielded in one hand is untrue. They are two handed weapons. I think you would need monkey grip and oversized two weapon fighting to be able to do that.
All double weapons are two handers so with out some sort of feat/multiple limbs you can not do what you want to do.

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 04:29 PM
They can be physically wielded in one hand is untrue. They are two handed weapons. I think you would need monkey grip and oversized two weapon fighting to be able to do that.
All double weapons are two handers so with out some sort of feat/multiple limbs you can not do what you want to do.

If so, then why does it include a specific clause about what happens if you wield a double weapon one-handed?

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 04:30 PM
Well then
The only way to do that is to play a Thri-keen from the MM
Though to be honest you would be better off dual wielding a two handed weapon instead of a double..

Wow that made my brain hurt.

I don't think double weapons work the way you think they do...

Having four hands on one double weapon seems outside of context to me, though it would depend on how you want to run with that. The issue here is that a double weapon is treated as a one-handed weapon and light weapon, so one end is gonna be screwed, since you can't make two hands work on a light weapon.

I suppose you could try to go for the Thri-kreen Gythka clause of if your Thri-kreen is using 2 gythka that all ends are treated as one-handed weapons and then Girallon's Blessing and Arms of Plenty for 2 extra sets of hands to two-hand all 4 ends. A freaky looking Thri-kreen that will look like, too...

EDIT:
If so, then why does it include a specific clause about what happens if you wield a double weapon one-handed?

They're talking about creatures using weapons smaller than their size not being able to do so, such as a Large ogre using a medium Urgrosh could not use it as a double weapon.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 04:32 PM

I lied. Regardless there is nothing by wotc that allows you to override that rule.

the rule being:
"A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round. "

so no it is impossible with out homebrew or multiple limbs

Cieyrin: Multiple limbs would be wielding two double weapons normaly. so you would get your 4 attacks... so there would be 2 double weapons involved... i had originaly mis understood what he was asking when i quoted that..

Bottom line
two dual wield double weapons and get 4 attacks you need to have multiple limbs. Period.

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 04:34 PM
Well now, that's exactly what I was looking for.

And too bad I guess. I could try being Thri-Keen, but it's just not the same wielding as many weapons as you have hands or less.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 04:38 PM
Well now, that's exactly what I was looking for.

And too bad I guess. I could try being Thri-Keen, but it's just not the same wielding as many weapons as you have hands or less.

I had a friend with a thrikeen
went fighter/rogue/invisible blade
with punching daggers...
was amusing.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 04:41 PM
Don't be knocking Thri-kreen, now. One of my favorite characters, a Soulknife/Psion(Nomad) going into Elocator, was a Thri-kreen and, despite his power disparity, was probably one of my most amusing characters, between Up the Walls and massive jumping abuse, not to mention 4-handing a Bastard Sword-shaped Mind Blade for 2.5 Str. :smallcool:

Rixx
2009-11-20, 04:42 PM
I dunno, seeing somebody try to wield two double-weapons would probably just make me burst out laughing. It's just not really viable from a practical combat standpoint.

Cieyrin
2009-11-20, 04:46 PM
I dunno, seeing somebody try to wield two double-weapons would probably just make me burst out laughing. It's just not really viable from a practical combat standpoint.

Oh c'mon, a Thri-kreen with 2 Gythka is a bad ass image.

Melamoto
2009-11-20, 04:47 PM

Well, it's not the only thing :smallwink:

And I'm not knocking Thri-Keen, I'm simply saying that having weapon usage limited by limbs is disappointing.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 04:56 PM
Well, it's not the only thing :smallwink:

And I'm not knocking Thri-Keen, I'm simply saying that having weapon usage limited by limbs is disappointing.

Well im sure there are ways to get more weapons going then just with your limbs...

isn't there like an animate weapon or something?

pluse whirling blade,
Spiritual weapon... etc

Rixx
2009-11-20, 06:46 PM
Well, if you have four arms, then sure. But if you have two arms, and you're swinging around two quarterstaves or double-blade swords, that's where it just gets silly.

Melamoto
2009-11-21, 05:53 AM
Well, if you have four arms, then sure. But if you have two arms, and you're swinging around two quarterstaves or double-blade swords, that's where it just gets silly.

That is the entire point! :smalltongue:

It would be kind of hilarious, and dual wielding dual wielding is pretty much this (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/01/27/episode-1087-exalted-feat/).

Darrin
2009-11-21, 06:48 AM
Is there any way by RAW to treat one handed weapon wielding as two handed? Needed to finish off what I think is the final issue in Dual Wielding Double Weapons.

You can already wield a one-handed weapon with two hands by RAW. From the Equipment section: "If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1-1/2 times the character’s Strength bonus to damage rolls."

The other way to do this would be to increase the one-handed weapon's size by one category (Sizing property, MIC p. 43, 5000 GP, swift action to activate). This causes the handed-ness to increase to two hands, although you have to take a -2 sizing penalty (that nothing in the game can get rid of, not even Monkey Grip).

Frog Dragon
2009-11-21, 10:12 AM
People seem to be missing the point.

The point being. Have two double-weapons. One in each hand. With the ability to attack with both ends of both dual weapons.

Zincorium
2009-11-21, 11:16 AM
If you have only two hands, you are not allowed to wield four weapons in your hands (mouthpick and a few others do not involve hands at all).

So, if your DM is not face-palming at the mention of this atrocity towards the laws of physics and common sense, you should ask about getting a homebrew feat. Like the following:

Sword-Chucks, yo! (general)
Prerequisites: Str 18, Dex 18, two weapon fighting, oversized two weapon fighting, exotic weapon proficiency in a double weapon, monkey grip.
Benefit: You may use a double weapon that you are proficient in as a 1-handed weapon. You gain a single additional attack for each double weapon used in this manner, and this additional attack it treated as an off-hand attack for the purpose of strength to damage.
Normal: You just plain can't do this sort of thing.
Special: Opponents automatically fail bluff checks in combat after taking damage from the user of the feat, as they can no longer discern movements to distract from the gyrations needed to avoid hitting yourself with your own weapon.

Fluffles
2009-11-21, 11:36 AM
Take the insectile template. Wield 3 double bladed weapons.

Taa daa!

Melamoto
2009-11-21, 01:24 PM
If you have only two hands, you are not allowed to wield four weapons in your hands (mouthpick and a few others do not involve hands at all).
Shame, really.

So, if your DM is not face-palming at the mention of this atrocity towards the laws of physics and common sense, you should ask about getting a homebrew feat.
It may make no sense, it may break several laws of physics, but **** me with a yammering fish if it wouldn't be awesome.

Like the following:

Sword-Chucks, yo! (general)
Prerequisites: Str 18, Dex 18, two weapon fighting, oversized two weapon fighting, exotic weapon proficiency in a double weapon, monkey grip.
Benefit: You may use a double weapon that you are proficient in as a 1-handed weapon. You gain a single additional attack for each double weapon used in this manner, and this additional attack it treated as an off-hand attack for the purpose of strength to damage.
Normal: You just plain can't do this sort of thing.
Special: Opponents automatically fail bluff checks in combat after taking damage from the user of the feat, as they can no longer discern movements to distract from the gyrations needed to avoid hitting yourself with your own weapon.
I can't believe I used an 8-Bit theatre reference to prove my point and forgot about Sword-Chucks. But still, this feat would be great if it was real. This abomination against existence will be allowed by a DM somewhere! Like the part about failing bluff checks as well. And now I'm off to go imagine this but with a Thri-Keen.:smallwink: