PDA

View Full Version : swiftblade early entry?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 05:07 PM
So just curious using warmage cheese.

Could a
warmage 3/ hexblade(or any other full bab) 2
with versitile spell caster and taking haste as there eclectic learning?
could they then take the PRC at 6th level?
granted warmage casting wouldn't realy help them any...

RagnaroksChosen
2009-11-20, 05:43 PM
does it work?
no one?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-20, 05:58 PM
Possibly go with Beguiler, since it already gets Haste on its spell list. Take Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon, which depending on your DM's interpretation may grant you early access to the next level of spells. That way you could go Beguiler 4/ Warmage 1/ Swiftblade, for example.

Another option would be to go Dragonwrought Kobald Loredrake Battle Sorcerer 4/ Swiftblade, though you'd need at least one flaw. This way is a bit more legit, but probably a bit cheesier.

Flickerdart
2009-11-20, 05:59 PM
Concentration, nine ranks.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-11-20, 06:02 PM
Concentration, nine ranks.
From the source: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327)

Entry Requirements

Base Attack Bonus: +3.
Skills: Concentration 6 ranks, Spellcraft 6 ranks.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast haste.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility.
Weapon Proficiency: Must be proficient with at least one martial weapon.
Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all 3rd level spell slots to exclusively cast haste.

Gametime
2009-11-20, 06:32 PM
"Using third level spell slots to cast Haste" doesn't seem like Versatile Spellcaster helps. I mean, you're literally not doing that. On the other hand, I suppose you're using "all" (that is to say, all zero) of your third level spell slots in this way, so...yeah, a very liberal interpretation of RAW would allow it.

What a contortion.

Using Warmage to early-enter Swiftblade seems a bit silly, though. I mean, it's a great prestige class, but having an extra standard action isn't going to make the Warmage spell list stop sucking.

Haven
2009-11-20, 06:34 PM
If you can persuade your DM to ignore the "third level spell slots" bit, which it seems like you already need to do, the Trapsmith PRC gets Haste at level 1.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-11-20, 06:35 PM
Note from the designer: (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6280.msg207345#msg207345)

Sonofapreacherman wrote:

Speaking from an intent perspective (which I know counts for very little in the optimized forums) the idea is for the swiftblade candidate to use all spell slots (of the level in which haste is gained) to cast haste. The Dungeonscape book did not exist when Brian and I originally created the swiftblade, leaving us completely unaware of the trapsmith prestige class when it was finally released. If we had been aware, the special prerequisite would have read...

Special: Must have spent the entire previous level using all spell slots of the level in which haste is gained to exclusively cast haste.