PDA

View Full Version : Alternate demihumans

taltamir
2009-11-20, 10:46 PM
The oxymoron "standard fantasy fare" encompasses the combination of humans, elves, orcs, dwarves and halflings of some flavor. And those can all interbreed meaning they are all the same species (ex: gorilla, human, orangutan), but difference races (ex: caucasian, latino, asian, african, etc).

I was thinking of a potential refluff of sorts...

I once had an idea that a mage can achieve immortality via transforming into something other than a lich... if those ascended humans breed with a normal human they give birth to children who maintain some of their traits. Usually it is longevity, certain distinct appearance, etc.
Long ears btw is found in a few of those because they chose it when they transformed, but most don't have it.

The various "types" of demihumans are each descendant from a different mage... so differences in appearance and abilities depend on the exact details of said magical transformation... As a bonus, some of those immortal uber wizards could still be alive and around.

The transformation is not as effective as lichdom, that is, they are easier to kill and don't gain as many powers. But they do become immortal and can alter their own appearance.

Thoughts?

Licensedtoill
2009-11-21, 08:16 AM
that sounds like a good idea, but you have to think of the repercussions, like is any group (e.g. race class or group) going to shun the choice and the people who made it.

mostlyharmful
2009-11-21, 09:34 AM
It would also mean that each 'race' thinks of itself as an offshoot of the original 'primitive' race, at least until time smooths things over (which could take a while with unaging or slow aging people knocking about). That could make for some interesting world building/role play.

Plus, you'd have a hard time not coming up with a world that isn't secretly ruled by a shadowy cabal of ageless epic caster patriarchs/matriarchs of the races, each with their own adgenda to spin and each with a vested interest in the success of a different race but each with a very very very long term viewpoint and a superintellect which automatically recognizes the value of co-operationa nd the massive cost/risk of conflict beyound a certain level.... sounds like a cool place to play in...:smallbiggrin:

Licensedtoill
2009-11-21, 10:04 AM
I was wondering, when you transform and gain immortality, do you continue to age or is it eternal youth?

Prime32
2009-11-21, 10:40 AM
For an example of alternate demihumans, I suggest looking at Fire Emblem. The sentient races are usually limited to humans, guys who turn into animals, and dragons (who usually stay in human form).

mostlyharmful
2009-11-21, 10:46 AM
I was wondering, when you transform and gain immortality, do you continue to age or is it eternal youth?

It'd be a pretty sucky wizard that came up with a way to get all the problems of age mixed in with the deal... :smallfrown:

Anonymouswizard
2009-11-21, 11:01 AM
You would have to decide the mages who created each race, and those who have/have not been killed by epic level wizards/sorcerers trying to do the same thing. that way you could have 2/3 extremely important mage-god people if you wanted, who each fathered/mothered one of the demihuman races. Those who are alive might rule over their descendents, guiding them with the wisdom of ages.

Although if they are weaker why doesn't every caster who can become a lich instead? Maybe they should have either less powers that are more varied or powerful; or a host of weaker powers or less versatile ones.

bosssmiley
2009-11-21, 01:07 PM
The oxymoron "standard fantasy fare" encompasses the combination of humans, elves, orcs, dwarves and halflings of some flavor. And those can all interbreed meaning they are all the same species (ex: gorilla, human, orangutan), but difference races (ex: caucasian, latino, asian, african, etc).

I once had an idea that a mage can achieve immortality via transforming into something other than a lich... if those ascended humans breed with a normal human they give birth to children who maintain some of their traits. Usually it is longevity, certain distinct appearance, etc.
Long ears btw is found in a few of those because they chose it when they transformed, but most don't have it.

The various "types" of demihumans are each descendant from a different mage... so differences in appearance and abilities depend on the exact details of said magical transformation... As a bonus, some of those immortal uber wizards could still be alive and around.

The transformation is not as effective as lichdom, that is, they are easier to kill and don't gain as many powers. But they do become immortal and can alter their own appearance.

Thoughts?

Nah, Elves were created when an epic mage decided "I want a pet race that's hot, skinny, and long-lived enough to learn how to really please me." (pace Races of War)
Dwarves are a race of communal worker drones created from a symbiosis of insect (that's why you never see their breeding females) and fungus (their beards are root networks).
Halflings are just shaved rats. :smallwink:

negativity 101
2009-11-21, 01:25 PM
This almost sounds like Elans...

taltamir
2009-11-21, 02:13 PM
Nah, Elves were created when an epic mage decided "I want a pet race that's hot, skinny, and long-lived enough to learn how to really please me." (pace Races of War)
Dwarves are a race of communal worker drones created from a symbiosis of insect (that's why you never see their breeding females) and fungus (their beards are root networks).
Halflings are just shaved rats. :smallwink:

lol, that is awesome

You would have to decide the mages who created each race, and those who have/have not been killed by epic level wizards/sorcerers trying to do the same thing. that way you could have 2/3 extremely important mage-god people if you wanted, who each fathered/mothered one of the demihuman races. Those who are alive might rule over their descendents, guiding them with the wisdom of ages.

Although if they are weaker why doesn't every caster who can become a lich instead? Maybe they should have either less powers that are more varied or powerful; or a host of weaker powers or less versatile ones.

weaker as in, not as many "benefits" for the "template"... but lichs aren't better at magic, just harder to kill. Lichs also cannot reproduce.

Plus, you'd have a hard time not coming up with a world that isn't secretly ruled by a shadowy cabal of ageless epic caster patriarchs/matriarchs of the races, each with their own adgenda to spin and each with a vested interest in the success of a different race but each with a very very very long term viewpoint and a superintellect which automatically recognizes the value of co-operationa nd the massive cost/risk of conflict beyound a certain level.... sounds like a cool place to play in...:smallbiggrin:

That is kind of a good thing... think how many plot hooks you have here :)

Siegel
2009-11-21, 03:12 PM

Thoughts?

sorry, i really dont' understand what you are talking about ? Could be because i'm tired or because i'm not a native speaker (i'm German) but would you please explain it again ?

Optimystik
2009-11-21, 05:12 PM
This almost sounds like Elans...

This was immediately what came to my mind as well. Simply put, there are many ways for wizards to achieve immortality besides lichdom.