PDA

View Full Version : Brutal Ascension: A shadowrun journal log

Slade
2009-11-24, 04:53 AM
This the campaign journal of my table top Shadowrun game. This is a continuation of this thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122306&highlight=shadowrun&page=11

called "Looks like I am GMing Shadowrun..."

which was started for a game ran by Alucard. Since I have taken over the game, again, and that thread has hit 11 pages, I figured its time to start a new thread. So....

here it is. Feel free to post away, add your 2 Nuyen, give advice, so on and so forth, 'cause that's why it's here.

TheCountAlucard
2009-11-24, 04:56 AM
Man, I was worried for Kyra this session; how many boxes of health did she have left before the spirit could heal her?

Slade
2009-11-24, 05:20 AM
The official start of the "Brutal Ascension" storyline is being kicked off.
The roster:
Kane, Expert Spirit Summoned & Mage
Silverscreen, Face
Kyra, Human looking Orkish Cat-girl rookie street sam
Darius, "Hacker" extraordinaire (Technomancer)
Mal Reynolds, Wheel-man
'Chimp', Acrobatic Spider Monkey Adept (Dwarven Metatype)
Cyrus, an zappy fisted elven adept
and finally:
Slade, Veteran Shadowrunner & Street Sam (sometimes, as my PC, he comes and goes, just another dude I don't have to deal with at the time.)

Together, these guys pull odd jobs for Brutal Industries, Inc. and what ever else may come their way.

Tonight's mission is the "official" start of the campaign, though the players might not like it that much.

Last 2 sessions was all about the cheating wife to break in the newbies and their characters; this session saw the use of two Magic 8 Ninja Adepts that nearly killed a PC tonight.

So, it seems that the Redmond Barrens have become a war zone. Kane, who has his house in the area, and when he came home after the last run, and joining a wizzer gang, he noticed bullet holes in his house walls.

The next day, he awoke to find 2 dead Crimson Crush members in his lawn and his bullet resistant windows cracked. So, he said "Now its my problem" and got the team together, met with the more decent Crimson Crush members (and Slade, who is in good with the Crimson Crush), and decided (after about 4 hours of play) to set up an ambush.

So, they set up a beetle (BTL) dealer house, and after 4 days, the ambush came. They were thinking it was going to be the Troll Killer gang would run inside and start shooting, since that was their M.O. up to that point.

However, what they were not counting on was the fact that the Yakuza had set up a very noticeable presence in the area. Not only were elite soldiers with 500,000 Nuyen worth of augmentations in Cyberware and Bioware operating in the area, a clan of Japanese assassin clans loyal to the Yakuza had sent in its best operatives into the area.

Included in this little band of killers are 1 Magic 8, Initiate 4 Shinto Magician, and 2 Magic 8, Initiate 2 Adepts, so far. So, in short, a loyal clan of Ninjas.

The Yak assassins are operating in cells, with communication being handled by Hidden Commlink and/or Watcher Spirits, and each is operating separately, though they have yet to find the "boss" or why are the Yaks so interested in the area, despite the fact that it is not a money making venture.

The players are confused.

So, on the 4th day of the operation, the 2 magic 8 ninjas attacked, trying to eliminate the Shadowrunners piece meal. They almost got the rookie street sam, but she managed to break away (after burning edge) to flee, and the astral mage noticed. He sent in his big boys (the force 10's) and some of his force 6's.

A MAJOR sword fight broke out, in which 1 of these ninja's killed 2 6's, 1 10, and it took another force 10 fire spirit to incap the guy. After several hours of combat, the spirits eventually ran the two ninjas out of edge then its was over.

And that is where the party stopped for the night. At 3:30am in the morning.
No, the kid gloves are off, now the challenge is starting.

Slade
2009-11-24, 05:21 AM
Man, I was worried for Kyra this session; how many boxes of health did she have left before the spirit could heal her?

That was fast. I counted 8 physical damage, and 3 stun. I might have lost a few somewhere, but she was hurt.

Kane took a couple, but his was all drain. So, he can take it.

Slade
2009-11-24, 01:20 PM
Aww, crap. I knew I was forgetting someone.

What was his characters name? I'll update the roster as soon as I have it.

It was 4:30 in the morning when I wrote that.

Slade
2009-11-24, 10:03 PM
No worries, it's a mistake I've made often enough. :smalltongue:

Cyrus, IIRC.

And fixed. And yes, I still have his sheet.

Slade
2009-12-03, 11:34 PM
Well, another day, and another run is under way.

Still picking up the pieces from the ninja's assault, the runners decide that it is unwise to continue a war with the Yakuza, and try to find where the money the coming from. They release the ninjas, since killing them would only piss off the yaks, and give them their force 5 weapon foci back, since that too, would piss them off.

The Yaks, meanwhile, are regrouping, realizing that Shadowrunners are now involved, and summon more help.

The eventually figure out the Brackhaven Investments are behind the Yaks, and put the burn on Mr. Johnson hiring the Yaks, and frame the BI rep that is paying for the Yaks, by killing the J behind it all and pinning it on the BI rep (by making it look like it was a Tempo fueled murder, and using their Lone Star contacts make it official).

With money cut off, the J dead, and the BI rep framed, the Yaks are out their money, and decide that it is no longer worth while to continue to work for the Troll Killers (who where the ones who started the whole mess).

The runners in the mean time, score some nice loot in the process, then turn to start helping the Crimson Crush (CC) to fight back and reclaim their losses.

This, in turn, makes the Redmond Barrens a war zone. a week and a half of street fighting later, the CC being to loot and pillage, Ork rage all the way, and the runners are sicken by this, and tell them to back off.

The CC leaders, on the other hand, tell them to f*ck off. So, they do, and sure enough, some innocent people in Touristville get capped up, and now Governor Brackhaven declares martial law in the Redmond Barrens.

And thus, the police crackdown begins. Cue up the police brutality, and the start of "Refuge camps" which are glorified concentration camps. This really pisses meta humans off, and in about a week, 90% of the Ork, Troll, and Dwarven Lone Star police quit in disgust, leaving poor little Lone Star 40% understaffed across the boards.

Seattle is full riot mode as the fecal matter has impacted the oscillating, rotating blades.

In a surprise move, Brutal Heavy Industries hired 70% of the police force ("80% pay, but the health is better!" - CIO Brutus Maxwell) and put them to work building the on-site dorms for the quickly growing BHI industries. This triggers a Humanis response, and for 3 days, they block the roads leading to BHI factories (who just fly everything in anyways).

Keeping in mind that this is now Dec 4th, 2071, it is real cold outside, so, Fanty, the Elven Shaman and CPO of BHI, decides to make the Humanis protesters hot cocoa and wheel it out to them on drone coffee servers. The Humanis protesters trash the carts, naturally.

Two days later, when the Humanis bunch start protesting again, a HUGE A$$ BOMB rips them apart. The Ex-cops go into cop mode and start securing the site while Fanty and Kronz, who is a Silent Partner and Board member, go into @ss kicking mode, investigating. Nothing left to @ss kick, they go back, and assist the Star in their investigations.

Eventually, they (LS) learn that it was a suicide bomber using real C-4 and it was a Sons of Sauron hit. 2 days of man hunting later, Lone Star corners the SoS members to an abandoned 40 unit apartment complex, where even the squatters where chased off. Just as Lone Star is breaching the complex...

It explodes, and levels the entire complex. 27 officers die in the explosion, and Seattle is stunned. BHI gave the newly hired police officers 5 days funeral leave, since most of them lost a buddy or three in that explosion (and BHI hopes that they crack some serious heads in the mean time.)

Needless to say, the players are in for a treat when we meet again...

TheCountAlucard
2009-12-04, 02:03 AM
Needless to say, the players are in for a treat when we meet again...Sounds about right. :smallamused:

Slade
2009-12-06, 04:51 AM
Though I probably don't have to tell you this, Alucard, if something is wrong, post it, and I will edit it.

Might be switching to Exalted, might not, we will see Monday.

Slade
2009-12-09, 12:24 AM
Monday session skipped, played exalted instead. Killed a Dragon Blooded to boot. Met up with Raiden a Sidereal of Journeys, and that is where we left off.

TheCountAlucard
2009-12-09, 04:17 PM
Yep; by the way, dunno if you got to talk to the ST today, but he wants to have another session of Exalted Saturday, and go back to playing Kain on Mondays.

Slade
2009-12-11, 09:06 AM
Yup; way ahead of ya.

Slade
2009-12-15, 05:27 AM
A short session due to reality getting in the way (Finals, Work, etc...)

Today the runners got a job to find some dirt on lone star. Being understaffed, the HQ was barren, and no one got in the way. They find a hole where the dirt would be, so no information was found... except the guy who deleted the file.

It turned out to be a regular lone star cop, and they went to his house to talk to him. Pretty average run.

However... when they get to the house...
(cue to creepy music... for best effect, play this in the background as you read the spoiler...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_hE4omx4l4&feature=related
)

...all is not right in the state of Seattle.

First, there is an astral barrier erected around the house. Very odd, since this is a row house and an astral barrier of this size would be expensive to say the least.

Still, they had ran into this before, so the group (which had a mage with them) just grunted past it (loosing any bound spirits buffs running) and got to the other side.

And it was a nightmare.

The house, which had a very dark and menacing vibe to it, had no lights on, and all the ice and snow outside had been turned black (but it was night, and everyone had some kind of thermal on instead of normal vision).

When the mage assenced the house itself, he got a vision of pure horror. The house sat in a background count 4, and a death and violence aspected one at that. The background count of pure malevolence had even started corrupting the house itself, and the house looked like something out of the Silent Hill movie. The walls were cracked and the paint had peeled off, and the roof shingles had corroded into dust.

Not wanting to walk in there, they decide to send in the robot. An emotitoy to be exact, so they send in the 3.5 inch tall G.I.Joe toy, and get a picture.
The house is in shambles, and in the living room, they see the guy, the Lone Star cop they where looking for, naked, covered in blood and gore (just think Dr. Weir from Event Horizon) and painting icons on the walls of the living room with some kind of weird language.

Hanging from the ceiling where 5 dead bodies, skinned, eviscerated, and ritually stitched together to form some kind of dark summoning circle. The mages decide to end this right now. So, the adepts try get inside and shoot him with electrical damage (which the spirit made himself immune to) to no effect.

Then the evil spirit started to fear kite everyone that came inside (Get off my lawn you darn kids!!) so he can complete the ritual. At that, the summoner mage decides to merge with a force 10 spirit (taking a bit of drain in the process) bonds it to himself, gaing massive physical stats, and starts to beat on the barrier. Which it finally gives in and breaks.

The evil spirit, knowing this, decides to go and confront the breaker. Not knowing the power within the summoner, he stands there and takes the hit... being dual natured, the summoner trashes the evil spirit.

IN ONE HIT.

So... no more evil crazy event horizon spirit guy. The runners search the house for the guy's commlink, get it, then they investigate the symbols.

They didn't know what the evil spirit was, but it was going to summon a great form spirit from... somewhere. They decided to torch the house to be sure.

Then they left.

And now, for the real story...

Once, there was a human named Sgt. Jack Wier. Jack was a Humanis member, and someone who hated metas. With a passion. So, as a lone star cop, he would get to legally arrest orks and trolls, and if SINless, he would kill them and throw the bodies in the sound.

As they were SINless, no one ever cared. However, a life filled with hate, violence, and lies leaves stains on one's soul.

During the crackdown in the barrens and the camps that where set up, Jack liked to beat, torture, and rape the innocent metas that where put in these camps. And he made sure to wipe the evidence up later. Although he covered his legal tracks, the amount of meta human suffering that the camps caused, made a gateway, however small, to... other... darker... metaplanes that no mage dared cross into.

The suffering and hate gathered into the Redmond Barrens quite literally opened a gate to metaplanes where the dark entities known as the Horrors lie. The mana levels are too small for the true nightmares to roam free on earth, but little ones can and do slip through.

The hate and rage of one of the camps was just a little to close to one of these little tears, and a Wraith, a spirit made of pure evil and pure hate slipped through. And he found Jack doing what Jack did best; inflicting misery on the innocent.

The wraith made a deal with Jack; be my host and you will inflict pain and suffering on those that are weaker than you. Jack, already demented with hate, agreed. So those innocents truly began to know fear.

Two weeks later, Jack's body rotten from within, and he was gladly let it happen, while the Wraith was using the house to summon a Great Form Horror from the metaplanes. And that wraith is still around, but now he is seeking a new host. Beings that inflict pain and suffering on others are the best host...

Slade
2010-01-13, 04:27 PM
Big break for Christmas and New Years, school is back in, but the first session was a bust; 3 people didn't show up. So... maybe next Monday.