PDA

View Full Version : Nova Science Now: Watch Science Videos and Discuss Them

Silverraptor
2009-11-25, 04:55 PM
Welcome! This thread is a discussion thread of the latest scientific progress and discoveries. The focus of this thread will be on the PBS station's program, Nova Science Now (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/).

Once in a while, I will rotate the different videos played on the website about scientific discoveries. In turn, everyone can comment on it and discuss where this can take us.

However! Forum rules still apply, so "please" abide by them!

Otherwise watch, learn and discuss.

Current topic:
Aging (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3401/01.html)

Extra_Crispy
2009-11-26, 01:53 AM
Well as a nurse this "discovery" looks promising. Even if it does not solve a few problems like HIV/AIDS it looks like it can help solve many other issues if they can figure out how to make it just stop "bad genes" and not cause other issues. It would be nice to see it stop many of the gene problems maybe other genetic abdormalities instead of just diseases, like types of arthritus, parkensens, and other autoimmune type diseases.

Only thing else I can say is we will see. It is a very promising start.

Fostire
2009-11-26, 09:22 AM
Well as a nurse this "discovery" looks promising. Even if it does not solve a few problems like HIV/AIDS it looks like it can help solve many other issues if they can figure out how to make it just stop "bad genes" and not cause other issues. It would be nice to see it stop many of the gene problems maybe other genetic abdormalities instead of just diseases, like types of arthritus, parkensens, and other autoimmune type diseases.

Only thing else I can say is we will see. It is a very promising start.

On HIV/AIDS: I've read recently that some people are immune to the virus and that it is possible to extract the gene that gives them the immunity and inject into lab-made blood cells. The genetically modified blood cells would be immune and could then be transfered into a patient with the disease.
So far that is the most promising cure I've read about.

Also, using the same methods (I think they use a virus to alter the DNA) it should be possible to change whatever piece of DNA you want, thus removing "bad genes".
I've even heard that there are labs that change a fertilized egg's DNA so that you can change things like your baby's hair colour*

*Please do not discuss the ethics of this. this is not the thread nor the forum for that type of discussions

Silverraptor
2009-11-26, 03:14 PM
Based upon the fact that viruses inject their RNA double helix version into cells, and the fact that HIV/AIDS is a virus. I believe in time this process might actually prove to be a cure for AIDS. Of course, lots of study is needed first.

toddex
2009-11-26, 04:09 PM
SCIENCE BE DAMNED! I want a prehensile penis... GRANT ME IT SCIENCE!

Silverraptor
2009-11-26, 05:37 PM
SCIENCE BE DAMNED!...

How does this contribute to the topic at hand?:smallconfused:

CoffeeIncluded
2009-11-26, 08:16 PM
SCIENCE BE DAMNED! I want a prehensile penis... GRANT ME IT SCIENCE!

I wish I could think of a better response other than laughing hysterically, but unfortunately my Snark Sensors are down right now.

And I think the main problem here would be: How to get a cascading effect on all the cells in the body? And will the changes stick?

Silverraptor
2009-11-27, 04:26 PM
Does anyone want to move onto the next topic? Or is there still discussion over the current one.

Silverraptor
2009-11-30, 10:33 AM
New topic. (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3411/03.html) What do people think about this one?:smallconfused:

Green Bean
2009-11-30, 11:45 AM
Kryptos has always fascinated me, ever since I went to that cryptology seminar that went completely over my head. When an artist can create a message that the CIA hasn't cracked yet, it really shows the modern encryption dynamic, where it's much easier to make a code than to break it.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-11-30, 08:03 PM
When they say "fully broken", how much of it have they cracked?

Silverraptor
2009-11-30, 08:07 PM
When they say "fully broken", how much of it have they cracked?

I believe there are 4 parts and they've broken 3 of them completely. I thought the video explained it pretty well.

Gaelbert
2009-11-30, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure Dan Brown mentioned this in the Lost Symbol.

Green Bean
2009-11-30, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure Dan Brown mentioned this in the Lost Symbol.

Yep, though if I'm remembering it correctly, it's just an interesting bit of background rather than an important plot point.

Silverraptor
2009-12-02, 10:30 AM
New topic to discuss.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-03, 04:09 PM
What about telomeres?

You've got to be careful, because if this goes wrong you get cancer.

Demonia
2009-12-03, 11:42 PM
What do you think of the Hadron collider?:smallconfused:

end of the world?:smalleek:

or antimatter here we come?:smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2009-12-04, 02:19 AM

What?:smallconfused:

Killer Angel
2009-12-04, 06:52 AM
If we're discussing science, this seems appropriate: The Year's Most Amazing Scientific Images (http://www.popsci.com/node/36702).
Some of'em are REALLY amazing. Enjoy! :smallcool:

Demonia
2009-12-04, 01:59 PM
it's where scientist 'fling' particles at each other at nearly the speed of light and when they collide they supposedly creat that of a miniature big bang. they hope to find new particle and anti matter.
but they can't start it, it keeps conking out and some scientist working there have even said they think a greater being dosn't want it to work. (no joke):smallamused:

Silverraptor
2009-12-04, 02:35 PM
it's where scientist 'fling' particles at each other at nearly the speed of light and when they collide they supposedly creat that of a miniature big bang. they hope to find new particle and anti matter.
but they can't start it, it keeps conking out and some scientist working there have even said they think a greater being dosn't want it to work. (no joke):smallamused:

Fascinating. However, how does that relate to the aging topic?:smallconfused:

Demonia
2009-12-04, 03:32 PM
MY bad oops! :smallredface:
then what do you think of human growth hormons? they slow the aging process dramatically, it's what sylvesta stalone takes to stay young, they're band here though, probably because people would be on the pension for an extra thirty years!

Silverraptor
2009-12-04, 04:52 PM
MY bad oops! :smallredface:
then what do you think of human growth hormons? they slow the aging process dramatically, it's what sylvesta stalone takes to stay young, they're band here though, probably because people would be on the pension for an extra thirty years!

Well, I'm not really sure. However, the SIR 2 gene is what I find fascinating.

Demonia
2009-12-05, 11:54 PM
I looked it up, its quite interesting though still relitivley young, i think it has some more hidden benifits and downsides, but only time will tell.
i also like growth hormones though becouse they aid in muscel development so they act like steroids though without the side effects. :smallsmile:

Silverraptor
2009-12-06, 02:25 PM
New topic is up.

daggaz
2009-12-06, 02:33 PM

Hate to burst your bubble, but they've already produced antimatter using older particle accelerators. Simply collide a beam of anti-electrons (or positrons) with a beam of anti-protons, both of which are created and collected from other collisions, and viola you have anti-hydrogen. It promptly falls out of the magnetic trap, being neutral, and annhilates itself with the wall of the sensor room. And there is nothing known to science at the moment to stop that from happening.. damn gravity..

/hijack. sorry, couldnt let that one slip by, im tired of all the inconsistancies and ignorance surrounding the latest super-collidor.

Silverraptor
2009-12-06, 02:38 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but they've already produced antimatter using older particle accelerators. Simply collide a beam of anti-electrons (or positrons) with a beam of anti-protons, both of which are created and collected from other collisions, and viola you have anti-hydrogen. It promptly falls out of the magnetic trap, being neutral, and annhilates itself with the wall of the sensor room. And there is nothing known to science at the moment to stop that from happening.. damn gravity..

/hijack. sorry, couldnt let that one slip by, im tired of all the inconsistancies and ignorance surrounding the latest super-collidor.

That's alright. I think that this show many actually cover it. I'll see if I can find it after the latest discussion.

Gaelbert
2009-12-06, 06:01 PM
I think the show would be better with Morgan Freeman. Of course, I think that about everything.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-07, 08:15 PM
The thing many people don't realize is that even if we do blow it up, the meteor-chunks could still do quite a bit of damage.

Silverraptor
2009-12-07, 08:20 PM
The thing many people don't realize is that even if we do blow it up, the meteor-chunks could still do quite a bit of damage.

Yes. But if the whole thing is going to split the earth apart or something and we don't have time to change it's path, I'm for the vote of blowing it up. Somedamage is better then total planet wipe out.

Fostire
2009-12-07, 08:38 PM
Yes. But if the whole thing is going to split the earth apart or something and we don't have time to change it's path, I'm for the vote of blowing it up. Somedamage is better then total planet wipe out.

Plus, the smaller meteor chunks will have a larger surface area than the large asteroid so the friction of the atmosphere will be larger and the small chunks will become even smaller (or disappear entirely), lowering the total damage even more.

Silverraptor
2009-12-07, 09:37 PM
Plus, the smaller meteor chunks will have a larger surface area than the large asteroid so the friction of the atmosphere will be larger and the small chunks will become even smaller (or disappear entirely), lowering the total damage even more.

Ooooooo!

An added bonus then!

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-07, 09:54 PM
Yeah, but there was something else with messing up the gravitational pull...Garrgh, I can't remember it right now...

Silverraptor
2009-12-09, 12:02 AM
I was hoping this thread would have a little more discusion in it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to attract people?:smallconfused:

Schlega
2009-12-09, 12:44 AM
I was hoping this thread would have a little more discusion in it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to attract people?:smallconfused:

Maybe changing to just general science discussion instead of limiting it to one episode of Nova at a time?

Silverraptor
2009-12-09, 12:47 AM
Maybe changing to just general science discussion instead of limiting it to the most recent episode of Nova?

Well, actually they aren't the most "recent" episodes of Nova. I'm just rotating them between each other. Also, my first thread ever was a "general discussion" thread, and it quickly failed. The reason was it had no sense of direction and quickly fell apart.

Schlega
2009-12-09, 01:00 AM
Well, actually they aren't the most "recent" episodes of Nova. I'm just rotating them between each other. Also, my first thread ever was a "general discussion" thread, and it quickly failed. The reason was it had no sense of direction and quickly fell apart.

Well then, you could try making a signature banner to let people who don't pay attention to the friendly banter forum know about the thread.

Silverraptor
2009-12-09, 01:02 AM
Well then, you could try making a signature banner to let people who don't pay attention to the friendly banter forum know about the thread.

That's an idea. though I have limited room in my signature. I will have to work something out.

Silverraptor
2009-12-10, 10:44 AM
Alright, a change in subject is up.

Schlega
2009-12-14, 03:43 AM
link (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/0301/01.html)

One of the things that bugs me about dark matter is the fact that it doesn't seem to form black holes. The only things stopping planets and stars from collapsing are electromagnetic and nuclear forces, so anything that doesn't experience those forces should condense into black holes. The only explanation I can think of is that there are forces dark matter feels that have no effect on ordinary matter.

Silverraptor
2009-12-18, 12:55 AM
I decided to try and reawaken this thread with something short and slightly humorous. (In my opinion)

Killer Angel
2009-12-21, 04:24 AM

With Videos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U)!

Probably renaming the thread: "Watching Science", is more entertaining... :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2009-12-22, 02:12 PM
Probably renaming the thread: "Watching Science", is more entertaining... :smallbiggrin:

Ya. I'll go do that right now.

Silverraptor
2009-12-22, 07:49 PM
Do any of you have or know someone who doesn't like vegetables? Maybe perhaps kids?

Well this answers the question.:smallwink:

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-24, 11:37 AM
I'm not surprised if it's inheritable.

Though tastes do change. I used to hate peaches and now I love them.

Killer Angel
2009-12-28, 05:27 AM
Ya. I'll go do that right now.

Wow... :smallsmile:

well, here we are: the Science Videos Search Engine (http://sciencehack.com/)

Silverraptor
2009-12-28, 10:29 AM
Ya.

Anyways, I changed the subject for people to now watch and everything.