PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Working alone.

RdMarquis
2009-11-25, 05:59 PM
I'm in the middle of an Eberron campaign with an odd twist. Contrary to the old D&D "rule", the DM has split the party. See, all of the players are different people living in Sharn, each with our own agenda.

Anyway, I'd like to ask anyone if they have any tips for handling an encounter if you're alone. My character is sneaking into a factory, and there's a chance things will go south and I'll have to fight five to seven guards.

I'm playing an assassin (it's a D&D insider class). The DM has assured us the enemies will be balanced, but the assassin is a striker with HP like a Wizard (currently 32), and my defences are 17, 15, 15, and 17, so I'm feeling a little underconfident. Any advice?

mikeejimbo
2009-11-25, 06:01 PM
Don't get caught? Failing that, find a good way to run away really well. Seriously, running can save your bum.

Or, see if you can hire some thugs Pinkerton Detectives to help you.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-25, 06:04 PM
Yeah, the Assassin has some nice stealth aids, there. Always be aware of your exits, and book it at the first sign of trouble, frankly.

Especially with one person, you've got to make the fight on YOUR terms.

RdMarquis
2009-11-25, 06:47 PM
Don't get caught? Failing that, find a good way to run away really well. Seriously, running can save your bum.

Or, see if you can hire some thugs Pinkerton Detectives to help you.

Seeing how I'm on a fire escape, and I just failed a Stealth check, it's a little late for that. :smalltongue: But, yeah, being ready to run is a good idea. I have a power that lets me turn invisible, just in case of an emergency. Anyway, thanks to the both of you.

mikeejimbo
2009-11-25, 06:49 PM
An invisibility power is always a good backup.

KillianHawkeye
2009-11-25, 07:24 PM
Take them out one by one like an assassin should. No assassin worth his salt should ever have to face 5-7 enemies at once.

taltamir
2009-11-25, 07:25 PM
block the path of the five to 7 guards (temporarily is enough), set the building on fire, and run like hell...

Yakk
2009-11-25, 08:17 PM
Go into shade form, and bugger out?
32 HP... given 10 con, that makes you level 4?
That makes your defense-Level of 13/11/11/13. Strangely high will.

I assume you have hidden insight? (which is just the coolest assassin feat)

RdMarquis
2009-11-25, 09:14 PM
Actually, the character is level 3, and has a Con of 14. I also have some magic armor. As for killing the guards, that would be my last resort. Bodies would arouse suspicion, and my goal is to avoid being detected at all.

Plus, my character is Good-aligned, and would rather not kill some random guys who may have families and are only trying to do their jobs.

But using Shade Form is an idea. I could slip inside, and then lay low until the guards give up (I'll have to ask the DM if this will fly). Insubstantial means I can ghost through walls, right? I'd rather not run home and lick my wounds, although I may have to if I fail, since there isn't much chance of taking these guys in a fight.

Behold_the_Void
2009-11-25, 09:45 PM
Yeah, was gonna suggest Shade Form myself, that is a big advantage for running the hell away.

Shadow_Elf
2009-11-25, 10:34 PM
Shade Form is definitely a good choice, but just remember that insubstantial =/= phasing.

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-25, 10:40 PM
Technically, you can 'take them out' one by one and still not kill them. You just state that you are disabling them not killing, when you drop them to 0. However, unless you're quick, they will wake up (admittedly with only a quarter of their health - NPC's get 1 healing surge a day, by raw) after a short rest.

Of course, if you're particularly badass, you could take them out one by one, then tie them up gagged so they can't contribute further, but it's still not as stealthy as simply not being seen.

What else is your assassin packing, skillwise, other than the inevitably awesome stealth?

sofawall
2009-11-25, 10:43 PM
Technically, you can 'take them out' one by one and still not kill them. You just state that you are disabling them not killing, when you drop them to 0. However, unless you're quick, they will wake up (admittedly with only a quarter of their health - NPC's get 1 healing surge a day, by raw) after a short rest.

Of course, if you're particularly badass, you could take them out one by one, then tie them up gagged so they can't contribute further, but it's still not as stealthy as simply not being seen.

What else is your assassin packing, skillwise, other than the inevitably awesome stealth?

I like Sam Fisher style for unconscious enemies. If someone finds them, they wake up. If they're put somewhere hidden, they won't wake up anytime soon (but if you wait 4 hours or something, yeah, they might).

Tiki Snakes
2009-11-25, 10:48 PM
I like Sam Fisher style for unconscious enemies. If someone finds them, they wake up. If they're put somewhere hidden, they won't wake up anytime soon (but if you wait 4 hours or something, yeah, they might).

Well, I'm currently working my way through Arkham Asylum, so that kind of thing is pretty much the idea I guess. :)

Though it does open up some ideas for this; Break them. Knock them out, and then break some limbs. Just because you're avoiding killing them doesn't mean you have to be gentle. :smallbiggrin:

RdMarquis
2009-11-26, 12:28 AM
Oh, I forgot to mention. This situation is a skill challenge. The DM is dictating whether enemies are close to me or not. And I was reluctant to try attacking guards because if unconscious/dead enemies are discovered, I lose all of my successes. Still, there must be a way of stashing them in a corner somewhere...

In terms of skill, the assassin also has a good acrobatics, bluff, and streetwise. I wanted advice on what to do in case I fail the challenge (and get discovered, starting an encounter).

mikeejimbo
2009-11-26, 12:35 AM
This kind of reminds me of Thief.

Anyway, how about running away? You're allowed to run away from a combat encounter, as far as I know. I think you could make it, too.

RdMarquis
2009-11-26, 12:38 AM
Well, yeah, that's my plan B. But, I was wondering if there was any viable way of making a stand and fighting, possibly using stealth to keep my character safe. I have the Mark of Shadow feat, which keeps me invisible if I miss an attack while invisible.

Kurald Galain
2009-11-26, 04:29 AM
I have the Mark of Shadow feat, which keeps me invisible if I miss an attack while invisible.

That's what I was going to recommend.

Also, finding a way to get lots of concealment helps. MC'ing to warlock is not exactly feasible, but I think there's a few items that make you concealed a lot.

Yakk
2009-11-26, 01:05 PM
Sadly, at this point, you aren't quite a full-fledged lurker.

But in the event of a fight, I'd be tempted to emulate a lurker. Hide in the darkness. Save your shadow form for when you are cornered. Drop shrouds on them without them knowing from where you are doing it (ideally with the feat that makes them not even know you are doing it), and then taking one out.

Try to figure out which guards are more competent (do nature or history checks).

RdMarquis
2009-11-26, 06:03 PM
If worse comes to worse, I'll try that (but I don't have the Hidden Insight feat). My character should have some cover. (I haven't even finished the skill challenge yet. Nobody's online; they must be celebrating Thanksgiving.)

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask somebody, do the shrouds kill minions, even if you miss an attack?

Yakk
2009-11-26, 08:10 PM
A miss never damages a minion.

RdMarquis
2009-11-26, 08:54 PM
Rats. Oh, well. The game should be back on track in a day or two, so we'll see how it goes.