PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Shorn

GreenMuffin
2009-11-26, 06:12 PM
This homebrew land was made by me, my friends, and my cousins. It was made around the time I got interested in D&D which was fairly recently. because of this, it is still a little squishy and new. Almost everything is still in progress, so please pardon my dust. This is mostly my workspace. I will take everything and make another thread of it and organize it so that it is easier to look at. Would love to hear your comments or suggestions.

Overall History

A half-million years ago, Shorn was overrun with trees. The only place that didn't have trees was the mountain, water, and Inlumo. Elves lived in the fey wilds. Soon, they discovered the normal, more dull world. The rest of the fey didn't like this new world, it was not bright, not... magical enough. The elves, however, loved this place. Life was more of a challenge. They all left to live in the "real" world. Thus, Shorn was an Elvish country. This peace lasted for 450 thousand years. A thousand years after that, Shorn was found by the goblinoids. The goblinoids wanted more land, so they began to invade from the north. A short, 5 year, war ensued. The goblins quickly swept in and destroyed 80% of the forest, killing elves left and right. They made the city of Grooshum, the orc city, Gnik and Gnak, the twin cities, and the very small town of Gushlin. Many small battles between the goblinoids happened, Which caused the goblinoid cities to be seperated. At this time, A young dragon named Draco climbed out of the mountain, Kor, and decided to unite the goblinoids under one leader, him. With his power, he conquered the goblinoid empire. 2 thousand years later, Humans made themselves known. They soon found out this new land, and they wanted their piece of it. Humans didn't want to destroy the forest, because they would have to build new lands and destroy trees, which is all very hard to do. They immediately overtook the small city of Gushlin, and made it their own. This made the Goblinoids much less powerful, giving elves all the power again. Humans and Elves had always been separate. Very few elves lived in human cities. At this time, the humans had a minority in population. Gushlin was the only human settlement, and was fairly small. Soon the humans began to branch out. 3 thousand years later, the small city of Gushlin began to find itself too crowded. They made a much smaller settlement called Sylum which existed very far away, and thus had terrible living conditions. 3 thousand years after that, even that area became to crowded, so they decided to make Gushlin a huge city. The most ideal placed to branch out was the Hightock Woods, which was the largest elvish settlement. Thus, war ensued. Then the new duke of Sylum decided that it would be in their best interests to branch out as well, so they began to attack the Mishtoad Woods. It was a long battle. Humans appeared to be on the loosing side. Suddenly, the humans got help from the goblins. If the humans gave a ludicrous amount of money to Draco, the humans would get protection of their cities. Thus, the humans only had to work on attacking the elves. The humans went through and burned down 50% of the Hightock forest and about 65% of the Mishtoad woods. The war ended, with the victory of humans, and Gushlin quickly took over its section of the new land. When Draco came around to ask for money, they declined, and Draco knew that this new large city was too large to attack. Draco wanted more land, so he turned his gaze over to the new land created by the near destruction of the Mishtoad Woods. There were only small settlements of humans there, with almost no protection. He quickly sent out many goblins to destroy those small human settlements and build their own. Sylum protested this, but Draco was now too powerful to resist. Draco demanded more and more money from the duke of Sylum. Every time the Duke fell down on his payments, Draco would send goblins to destroy property in Sylum. after 300 years of torment, The new duke had to hire travelers to go and kill Draco. They succeeded. With the leader of the goblins assassinated, the Goblins became a very weak force, contrary to their previous superior power in that kingdom. Thus, the kingdom of Shorn became a human kingdom, with the main city at Gushlin. The age of peace came, or so they all thought...

Corim

Corim is very far away from human civilization. They send all of the strangely diseased. They sent all the half-elves and elves during the war. After the war they tried to keep all of the half-elves there, but failed. Also, when there was a lot of superstition about the fey, the gnomes were sent there. Not many people survive living there for more than a month. It is almost no longer a human settlement because the diseased of Grooshum, Gnik, Gnak, and almost all of the living settlements.

Grooshum

An orc city. Run by a religious government.

The Fey Wilds

The fey live off in their own world. They exist in their own world with their own politics. They have a council which takes care of problems. However, power is not equal in this council. The head of this council has altogether total power. The other council members do have the opportunity to change the head of council's mind. Each council member represents each species in the Fey. The Fey have a limited amount of contact with non-fey, except for the Nixies, which will take a human as a slave every now and then, though only for a year. Gnomes are the only species that live in both worlds.

Gnik And Gnak

Gnik, the goblin city, and it's brother city Gnak, the hob-goblin city. have been under constant war longer than living memory.

Kor

Dwarves and Goliaths live in the mountain Kor. They live in the higher reaches of the mountain. They were not native there, they only came there after the Great War. Many dragons live in the base of the mountain. Draco did not live here, however. He lived closer to Cantre lake.

Inlumo

Inlumo is where the boundaries between this plain and the others is broken. Devas often find themselves in this plain by accidentally stepping through Inlumo. Nothing much is known about the place

Passing Of Power

In the beginning, the Elves ruled the land. When they were challenged by the humans, they became very preoccupied. During this time, the goblins took control of the power. After the slaughter of Draco, Humans claimed dominion over the land.

GreenMuffin
2009-11-27, 01:50 PM
Here's an idea for a 4e homebrew race.

Gemsh

Stats

+2 Strength

+2 Wisdom

Skills

+2 Perception

+2 Nature

Race feat

Quick swim
Ability to swim 6 squares per turn. Also to breathe underwater

Race power

Squirt water
Hit: Dexterty vs. AC
Damage: roll 1d4+strength modifier.
Range: 5 squares.
Description: You shoot a thin string of high-pressure water at your enemy.

Language

Deep Speech
Common

General facts

The Gemsh live in the Gem sea. They don't usually find themselves in the world of land-walkers. Mostly that only happens when they are washed ashore on the Gushlin river and they don't know where to go.

Appearance

The Gemsh are a deep-sea blue. They have webbed hands and feet, and their nose is pointed at the snout. They have scales. When they are on land, they wear normal clothes, but when in water, they wear a thin layer of clothes from seaweed.

Good For

Rangers, Barbarians, Clerics (I think...), Druids, Monk (alhtough that doesn't quite match the character... but your choice), and many more...

http://cghub.com/files/Image/010001-011000/10497/806_large.jpg

this is the best picture i could find. just imagine instead of a tail, there are a pair of webbed feet. Also, there are not any spikes.

GreenMuffin
2009-11-28, 01:49 PM
Hmm... I wonder if that is too convenient...

GreenMuffin
2009-11-28, 08:17 PM
hmm... I'm thinking of expanding this into a world called nudus-antehac, or something like it. Shorn is only a kingdom. a world with only two oceans, the Gem sea, and the Catinus sea. hmm... I think that I should have two continents on opposite sides of this world, and that the seas separate them. I think that these two continents developed independant, then discovered each other... maybe a war...? just some speculations

GreenMuffin
2009-11-28, 08:20 PM
And to minimize how many countries i have to write up histories for, i think that one continent will have 4 countries, and the other 3! Shorn will be on the side with three! maybe a little history of splitting countries and joining countries...

GreenMuffin
2009-11-28, 08:22 PM
the Catinus sea will be eaither too warm or too cold to sustain life such as fish. maybe only vegetation. interesting mission idea could form off of that...

GreenMuffin
2009-11-28, 09:17 PM
continent 1: Dextrorsum. The bigger continent. shorten to Dex

country of Hostis. Northern country. the land of Goblinoids.
country of Adulescentulus. Western country. land of Men. Shorten to Adul
country of Shorn. Eastern country. land of Elves.

all of this is not the same as who has power. it is where all of these races were first found before power became an issue.

continent 2: Sinistrorsusorsum. the smaller continent. shorten to Sinistro

country of Perexiguus. Northern country. The land of Dwarves. Shorten to Perex
country of Bestiola. Southern country. the land of Halflings.

forget 4 different countries

GreenMuffin
2009-11-29, 01:12 PM
Before the discovery of Shorn by the goblinoids, The continent Dex thought it only had two countries, Adul and Hostis. They did not like each other very much. They had constant wars. On the continent Sinistro, however, the two countries Perex and Bestiola lived in harmony, although they did not have enough in common to be united. Sinistro was a paradise. It was a garden of Eden. Not wanting anything more sophisticated in their life, Sinistro did not grow in power or wealth, while Dex was having constant wars and wants. While Dex grew in technology, they invented the boat, which they used to travel across the Catinus sea. They soon found that their world was round. Since Sinistro was a small continent, they always missed it and ended up on the other side of Dex. When men or goblins landed on Shorn, the elves wanted to keep their country a secret, so they would kill them. Then one day, a man named Don Hok landed on Bestiola. He looked and saw this world of small men. They were tilling their soil and living in paradise. Don was astonished, and immediately left Bestiola to return home. When he arrived home he told of his adventure, but everyone thought he was crazy. But then Don Hok's son grew up and was determined to find this other country of small people. Lag Hok, Don's son, managed to hire a crew. He took his ship across the sea. He found the continent of Sinistro. However, instead of fleeing at first sight, like his father, he walks down to the halflings. For proof he brought one halfling over. Seeing this weird creature, they were astonished, so they all sailed back to Sinistro. When the humans saw this land of paradise, the humans immediately became greedy. They got property on this land, but they always wanted more, more, more! Meanwhile, the goblins found out about the other country, Perex. Soon they were tearing down some halfling's and dwarve's houses to get more property. After a while, the entire continent of Sinistro decided to wage war against Dex. Dex appeared to be winning, but then they had a fight with the goblins, and so Sinistro won. Some dwarves and halflings wanted to live in Dex to live a more complex life. Then Shorn was discovered, and the battle over Shorn began.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-01, 12:08 AM
Map of Shorn

http://www.2shared.com/file/9614226/2fa34d7/Snapshot_2009-12-01_15-52-09.html

GreenMuffin
2009-12-06, 10:56 PM
Marquat, the Gemsh barbarian

Hello

Marquat

Male Gemsh Barbarian
Level 1
Good

Strength 19 (+4)
Constitution 17 (+3)
Dexterity 13 (+1)
Intelligence 12 (+1)
Wisdom 15 (+2)
Charisma 12 (+1)

Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 200 lb
Skin: Blue
Eyes: Green
Hair: Purple; Straight; Beardless

Maximum Hit Points: 32

Bloodied: 16
Surge Value: 8
Surges / Day: 11 [includes constitution modifier]

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Dark vision

Initiative: 1d20 +2 = + 2 [dexterity]
Base Strength Attack: 1d20 +4 = + 4 [strength]
Base Dexterity Attack: 1d20 +2 = + 2 [dexterity]
Base Constitution Attack: 1d20 +3 = + 3 [constitution]
Base Intelligence Attack: 1d20 +1 = + 1 [intelligence]
Base Wisdom Attack: 1d20 +1 = + 1 [wisdom]
Base Charisma Attack: 1d20 +1 = + 1 [charisma]

Armor Class: 16 = 10 + 2 [dexterity] + 1 [barbarian agility] + 3 [hide]
Fortitude Defense: 16 = 10 + 2 [barbarian] + 4 [strength]
Reflex Defense: 13 = 10 + 2 [dexterity] + 1 [barbarian agility]
Will Defense: 11 = 10 + 1 [wisdom]

Armor: Hide (25 lb)

Shield: None

Attacks:

Unarmed Melee: +4 [base strength attack] vs AC; damage 1[W]=1d4+4 [strength bonus]
Greatsword: +7 vs AC [+4 strength attack] [+3 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d10+4 [strength bonus] 8 lb (Heavy blade)
Devastating Strike +4w [base strength attack] vs AC
Howling Strike +4w [base strength attack] vs AC
Great Cleave +4w [base strength attack] vs AC
Swift Panther Rage +4w [base strength attack] vs. AC
w Weapon-based power. Apply adjustments for proficiency, situation, feats, magic, etc.

Base Saving Throw: d20 vs 10

Encumberance 4e

Normal Load:
Heavy Load:
Maximum Drag Load
190 lb.
380 lb.
950 lb.
Encumberance 3.5

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
116 lb. or less
117-233 lb.
234-350 lb.
350 lb.
700 lb.
1750 lb.

Languages: Common; Deep Speech;

Rituals Known:

Skills:

Acrobatics: +1 = 2 [dexterity] -1 [armor]
Arcana: +1 = 1 [intelligence]
Athletics: +3 = 4 [strength] -1 [armor]
Bluff: +1 = 1 [charisma]
Diplomacy: +1 = 1 [charisma]
Dungeoneering: +1 = 1 [wisdom]
Endurance: +2 = 3 [constitution] -1 [armor]
Heal: +6 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [class training]
History: +1 = 1 [intelligence]
Insight: +1 = 1 [wisdom]
Intimidate: +1 = 1 [charisma]
Nature: +8 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [class training] +2 [Gemsh]
Perception:+8 = 1 [wisdom] + 5 [class training] +2 [Gemsh]
Religion: +1 = 1 [intelligence]
Stealth: +1 = 2 [dexterity] -1 [armor]
Streetwise: +1 = 1 [charisma]
Thievery: +1 = 2 [dexterity] -1 [armor]

Feats:

Farshot
Quick Swim

At-Will:

Basic Melee Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+4 [strength bonus] [standard action]
Basic Ranged Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+2 [dexterity bonus] [standard action]
Bull Rush: +4 [base strength attack] vs fortitude [standard action]
Grab: +4 [base strength attack] vs reflex [standard action]
Move grabbed target: +4 [base strength attack] vs fortitude [standard action]
Escape: +1 [acrobatics] vs reflex / +3 [athletics] vs fortitude [move action]
Devastating Strike [Level 1]
Howling Strike [Level 1]
Squirt Water [race]

Other Standard Actions: Administer a potion; Aid another; Charge [+1 to basic melee attack or bull rush]; Coup de grace; Equip / stow shield; Ready an action; Total defense; Sustain standard action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics -- fast escape; Bluff, Heal -- first aid (use second wind DC10, stabilize the dying DC15, grant a saving throw DC15), Intimidate, Thievery depending on circumstances);

Other Move Actions: Crawl; Run [speed 8]; Stand up; Shift; Squeeze; Walk; may include some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics, Athletics)

Other Minor Actions: Draw / sheathe weapon; Drink a potion; Drop prone; Load a crossbow; Open / close a door; Pick up an item; Retrieve / stow an item; Perception -- active (as per revision),Sustain minor action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Insight)

Other Immediate Action: Readied action

Other Opportunity Action: Opportunity attack

Other Free Actions: Drop held items; End a grab; Talk

Other Non-Actions: Delay; Endurance checks; Insight to counter Bluff; Knowledge checks; Perception -- passive

Short rest: Healing surges as available

Five minutes: Normal escape from restraints (Acrobatics)

One hour: Forage; Streetwise check

Encounter Powers:

Second Wind
Spend an Action Point [free action, not in surprise round]
War Cry [free action]
Great Cleave [Level 1]

Daily Powers:

Swift Panther Rage [Level 1]

Gemsh

* +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom (already included)
* +2 Perception +2 Nature

Barbarian

* This barbarian chose the Thunderborn Wrath feral might option.
* Barbarian Agility
* Rage
* Rampage

Gron's Equipment:

33 lb
2 lb
5 lb

1 lb
10 lb
10 lb
2 lb
4 lb
_____
67 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
Pouch (belt) x1
Rations (1 day) x10
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Sunrods x2
Waterskins x1

Total

Magic items:

Weapon:
Weapon:
Weapon:
Weapon:
Armor:
Shield:
Arms:
Feet:
Hands:
Head:
Neck:
Ring:
Ring:
Waist:

Resistances:

Action Point Tally:

Daily Item Powers Per Day: Heroic Tier Milestones: / / /

Death Saving Throw Failures:

More about Gron:

background

I woke up and looked into the eyes of an elven woman. Her eyes were blue and her black hair swept down towards me. Her skin was the oddest color, a pale skin. I had never seen anything like it, only the different shades of blue of my world. She reached down and lifted me up. Her hand had an odd softness to it. I stared at her. She laughed. Do not worry. There have been several Gemsh that have found themselves on this river bank, but you are the first I've seen.

like that I was introduced into the land of the land-dwelers. That was two years ago. I lived with the elven woman for many years. Eventually we fell in love. We were married on a hilltop nearby by an old cleric that lived in the woods. Then, one day, I had an odd feeling. It was a sharp pang in my mind. I would go blank for many hours. Sheena (my wife) said that I would go out for an hour and hunt. One time, I woke up with a very large sword in my hand. She said that I had went off and came back with it (If allowed magic weapons, this will be one). Soon, I found an eagerness for adventure. I would twist and turn in bed. Sheena then said that I should go and find myself an adventure, then come back. Then, I might be satisfied

Mannerisms and Apearance

ignore what the chracter sheet says for this

Marquat has light blue scales that cover most of his body. The little skin that shows is also light blue. He has no hair, only three lines of skin that star at the top of his forehead and go to the back of his head. He is about the size of an average human. He wears a tooth that points down over his left eye. He wears a wolf coat, and deerskin pants. He carries his Great Sword strapped to his back, but hidden under his coat so that only the hilt is shown out of the coat. His webbed feet are bare. although this appearance is fairly intimidating, he is very kind and respectable, which is mostly why Sheena married him. He is sorta like a big teddy bear.

possible magic weapons

+1 magic Great Sword
+1 parrying Great Sword
+1 Insecapable Great Sword
+1 acidic Great Sword
+1 Flaming Great Sword

current free items

Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
Pouch (belt) x1
Rations (1 day) x10
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Sunrods x2
Waterskins x1

GreenMuffin
2009-12-08, 10:25 PM
Mock table of contents.

1. History
sub. 1. Dex
sub. 2. Sinistro
sub. 3. The Great War
2. countries & History of Dex
sub. 1. Adul
sub. 2. Hostis
sub. 3. Shorn
3. countries & history of Sinistro
sub. 1. Perex
sub. 2. Bestiola
4. countries & history of the seas
sub. 1. Catinus sea
sub. 2. Gem sea
5. Homebrew Races
sub. 1. Gemsh
6. Characters
sub. 1. Marquat

need a good name for the world

found one.... Mundia

GreenMuffin
2009-12-12, 03:17 PM
Adul

There once was a small "human" tribe called the Adulescentulus. They lived a relatively peaceful life. They lived off the land and lived in prosperity. they lived like so for thousands of years. They were completely unaware of any land besides their village. Goblins were not yet born in these times. Then, a Deva named Camael, who was the first to discover Inlumo, Stepped out of Inlumo. He wandered through the wood of Shorn for a very long time. Then he came to Adul. He saw only one village where he could find rest, and that was the village of Adulescentulus. He walked there and saw the primitive ways in which they lived. He went and changed the way people there thought. He taught them to make weapons out of metal. He taught them everything that was normal. Suddenly, the Adulescentulus' eyes were opened. They quickly discovered the building of cities. the new ways to create art. This was known as the age of revelation. Many Adulescentulus were not happy with this, and continued to live their life of peace. Then Camael saw death, and realized he was in the wrong plane. He decided to leave, but then realized that no one knew the true nature of the force of magic. many Shamans of the Adulescentulus knew more minor magic, but none mastered what he called "true" magic. He brought some of the most trusted Adulescentulus to him. He taught them the ways of magic. He then announced to the Adulescentulus that he was leaving. He told them that someday, he might return. With the absense of Camael, the Adulescentulus fell into war. They split up into two large groups. One group called itself the humans, and the others the goblins. They were under constant war. The Goblins looked for another land to live in, and they found another land and they named it Hostis. Soon, fighting came to a minimum. Only a couple skirmishes along the border. The humans built a huge castle. They decided who should be the start of the bloodline of kings. They hosted a huge tournament. Whoever won became king. The king was picked and his bloodline became the kings after him. They made many cities outside this castle, but the castle is where the most important stuff happened. Then, the Great War insued. afterwards, another time of relative peace came in. Then, the presense of Shorn awakened the humans and they went to take over.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-12, 03:19 PM
Hostis

In the time before the goblins, Hostis was inhabited by goliaths. They considered hostis to be sacred. They were later forced out by goblins. So many of the goliaths were killed that goliaths are often reffered to as a myth. They were forced to move to Kor. thus, only a couple dwarves that live in the mountain of Kor in Shorn know any personally.

After the goblins split from the humans, the goblins knew that they needed some tactical advantage, so they searched for something that would make them stronger, stronger than the humans. Soon, they found a plant that, when crushed and fed to them, appeared to make them stronger. This drug spread throughout. They were not aware about the side affects. Soon, their skin turned black and shriveled. Some that were stonger to the affects grew immense and very powerful, while some that were weaker grew smaller, more hunched. There were fewer of the stronger ones, and they all decided to form their own culture and call themselves the Orcs. Then, in the goblin tribe, some wished to separate themselves from the goblins, so they did and called themselves the hobgoblins. They all continued attacking the humans until a time of realtive peace. Then each segment of the goblins made their own large city. Then, they learned about Shorn, and did not reveal it to the humans until a goblins was captured by the humans. The orcs learned first and they managed to get the largest portion of Shorn.

The castle of Shon has the highest defenses of any city. In fact, they were so focused on defenses that they kinda forgot to have a village. The village is so small That it is amazing everyone can fit in there. A lot of people don't. they sleep in the holds of catapults or anywhere they can find.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-12, 03:51 PM
"The world of Mundia!"

coming soon to a thread near you.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-13, 09:48 PM
Dex

Dex is where the tall people live. In the very beginning, there was only inhabitants in the Fey Wilds and in one small village in which lived the Adulescentulus. As their populations grew, they began to build cities and towns. In fact, the only forests that are left are where the elves currently live. All the rest have been destroyed. Dex is a huge wasteland of political chaos and destruction.

Sinistro

Sinistro is the land of peace. It is where the small people live. The dwarves live in the northern continent, which is full of mountains where they live. The halfling live in the southern continent which has very rich soil. The land is full of trees. They have no government. No choices large choices are made, and they live in complete harmony. The only war they have ever faught is the great war, and that was to protect their land. Most of the time they sit and smoke or read or involve themselves in the arts. After the great war, they continued their land of peace, but with a worried air. They would not let any of the large folk enter their shores.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-13, 09:57 PM
Perex

Perex is at the edge of a continental plate, although no one during that time knew what a continental plate was. As a result, Perex is almost completely covered with tall mountains. The entire dwarven civilization started in the largest mountain, the mountain Bnorn. They lived under the ground for thousands of years. Bnorn had many trees growing on it, and the dwarves had adapted to eat the roots. As their population grew, they began to venture out into the land of light. They made a couple villages above ground, but not very many. However, the land of light brought them one thing, Hops. Beer soon became a booming industry. They made lots of it and lived very happily. At the first contact with the halflings, dwarves took up the anvil and made the Halfling tools for farming and whatnot. weapons were only made for hunting. They prospered this way for a long time until the great war came.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-14, 08:53 PM
Bestiola

Bestiola is the southern land of halflings. The halflings started on the Chinga valley. There they farmed their crops. They discovered tobacco and began smoking it in long pipes. They lived an easy and carefree life. Soon, some halflings spread throughout bestiola looking for the easy good life. They met with the dwarves, who supplied them with tools to help them with their farming. In exchange, halfings gave them tobacco, which both greatly enjoyed. Then the great war started.

GreenMuffin
2009-12-18, 10:47 PM
Gem Sea

Unlike the Catinus sea, teh Gem sea is rich in life. The Gemsh live in the Gem sea. Many fish also live in the Gem sea. There are very few islands in the Gem sea. Only two or three, which are inhabited by barbarians and monsters. most of the Gem sea has been charted, mostly by the Gemsh. I hope to have more than this.

GreenMuffin
2010-01-03, 05:26 PM
ok, after a couple more edits, the final thread will be up.

EDIT: slight delay. probably up over the weekend