PDA

View Full Version : Channeling into Weapons

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 01:34 PM
Duskblade, Ordaned Champion, Spell Sword, Smiting Spell (Feat), ect.

Spells such as Shocking Grasp, Chilling Touch, ect, do they (Even though you are channeling the spell through the weapon) still require Somatic Components (Gestures)?

I can't seem to find it anywhere under the feature Channel Spell anywhere.

Duke of URL
2009-11-30, 01:38 PM
If the description doesn't say otherwise, all required components are still required. A RAI interpretation would say that hand gestures are not necessary, being subsumed by the weapon attack.

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 01:42 PM
Hmm... I see. Ok then. Thank you.

Moriato
2009-11-30, 01:45 PM
If the description doesn't say otherwise, all required components are still required. A RAI interpretation would say that hand gestures are not necessary, being subsumed by the weapon attack.

I disagree. The weapon attack certainly takes the place of the touch attack needed to hit someone with the spell, but I don't see why it would replace the somatic component needed to cast it.

Ormagoden
2009-11-30, 02:00 PM

I also do not agree with this.

Some feats that help with your blade wielding spell casting problems are.

Eschew materials (No materials means no need for free hands assuming somatic components are not in the spell)

Somatic weaponry (an oft overlooked feat that allows you to ignore somatic components for spells while wielding a weapon)

There is however something I'd like to point out to you all...

Although the rules don't mention it, letting go of a two-handed weapon with one hand or putting a free hand back on the weapon is a free action for you.

It can be extremely helpful in some situations.

The link to the original post is dead but that none the less is true.
Boo to the wizards purge boooooo.

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 02:06 PM
Some feats that help with your problems are.

Eschew materials (No materials means no need for free hands assuming somatic components are not in the spell)

Somatic weaponry (an oft overlooked feat that allows you to ignore somatic components for spells while wielding a weapon)

There is however something I'd like to point out to you all...

Quote from: wizards.com
Although the rules don't mention it, letting go of a two-handed weapon with one hand or putting a free hand back on the weapon is a free action for you.

The link to the original post is dead but that none the less is true.
Boo to the wizards purge boooooo.

Somatic Weaponry? I've never even heard of that thing? where is it?

Moriato
2009-11-30, 02:11 PM
Somatic Weaponry? I've never even heard of that thing? where is it?

It's from complete mage. Also, using a buckler instead of a larger sheild will leave your hand free for... well whatever, including doing somatic components.

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 02:20 PM
So wait... Let me get this right.

As long as a Wizard/Sorc has this feat and wielding a two hander. They don't need any Gestures to cast any spell that requires Gestures?

Moriato
2009-11-30, 02:25 PM
So wait... Let me get this right.

As long as a Wizard/Sorc has this feat and wielding a two hander. They don't need any Gestures to cast any spell that requires Gestures?

If you're weilding a 2 handed weapon, you don't need any feat at all. Your caster can free up a hand to do the somatic component just by taking one hand off the weapon for a second, it's a free action. In you were weilding a weapon in each hand, or a weapon a sheild, then you'd need a feat.

Ormagoden
2009-11-30, 02:28 PM
On a side note...I really like duskblades...ALOT.
My main character in my current campaign is a duskblade. :smallbiggrin:

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 02:30 PM
If you're weilding a 2 handed weapon, you don't need any feat at all. Your caster can free up a hand to do the somatic component just by taking one hand off the weapon for a second, it's a free action. In you were weilding a weapon in each hand, or a weapon a sheild, then you'd need a feat.

I understand... but... with the feat... A wiz/Sorc is then capable of casting spells while wielding a great sword and in full plate without incuring any Arcane Spell Failure, since the only spells effected by Arcane Spell Failure are the ones that require Somatic Spell Components (Gestures)... is that what you are truely telling me here??

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 02:40 PM
Am I wrong?? I'm right aren't I!

Ormagoden
2009-11-30, 02:40 PM
No somatic weaponry does not apply to arcane spell failure chance due to armor or shields. So it does not make you safe from spell failure however there is a enchantment called "twilight" that reduces the armor check penalty spell failure for armor.

The enchantment does not make your skin sparkle however.

Duke of URL
2009-11-30, 02:44 PM
Am I wrong?? I'm right aren't I!

All somatic weaponry does is ensure that you do not have to have a hand free. You still have to provide the somatic component, you can just do it with a hand holding a weapon or shield.

Ormagoden
2009-11-30, 02:46 PM
All somatic weaponry does is ensure that you do not have to have a hand free. You still have to provide the somatic component, you can just do it with a hand holding a weapon or shield.

Yup, basically you wave your weapon around to represent the somatic components. Hence "somatic weaponry". :D

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 02:54 PM
Ok now I'm confused. If Somatic Weaponry allows you to cast without using your hands, and Arcane Spell Failure under Armor in the PHB says that it only effects spells that require gestures.

"If the spell lacks sometic components, however, it can be cast with no chance of spell failure."

Wouldn't Somatic Weaponry then take care of that? What I would picture with Sometic Weaponry is someone dancing thier blade around or something like that before the spell is cast.

Duke of URL
2009-11-30, 02:55 PM
Ok now I'm confused. If Somatic Weaponry allows you to cast without using your hands, and Arcane Spell Failure under Armor in the PHB says that it only effects spells that require gestures.

"If the spell lacks sometic components, however, it can be cast with no chance of spell failure."

Wouldn't Somatic Weaponry then take care of that? What I would picture with Sometic Weaponry is someone dancing thier blade around or something like that before the spell is cast.

It doesn't allow you to cast without using your hand, it just allows you to cast using your hand despite the fact that you're holding a weapon in it. Waving the blade around (or whatever) becomes the somatic component, but it is still required, and armor can interfere with it.

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 03:00 PM
Hmm... Ok, I understand now about the Sometic Weaponry.

But what about for the Channel Weapon? Does it still require Gestures then?

Duke of URL
2009-11-30, 03:03 PM
Going back to my first post -- if nothing in the class ability says otherwise, it does not replace the need for somatic components.

Berserk Monk
2009-11-30, 03:05 PM
When I saw this thread, I thought it said changelings into weapons. Which is possible with a catapult.

Fastmover
2009-11-30, 03:06 PM
Cool then. Thanks all.

root9125
2009-11-30, 03:44 PM
When I saw this thread, I thought it said changelings into weapons. Which is possible with a catapult.

Huge ballista would be cooler, and also could be wielded by gargantuan creatures in place of followers with ranks in Profession (Siege Engineer).

Prime32
2009-11-30, 03:46 PM
Huge ballista would be cooler, and also could be wielded by gargantuan creatures in place of followers with ranks in Profession (Siege Engineer).Nah, use the morphball monk trick - have a +1 sizing morphing warforged who turns into a ballista. :smalltongue:

Slayn82
2009-11-30, 06:36 PM
Well, if you use an Guardian Familiar of the Complete Warrior, and its medium size, you could use alter self to turn it into any animate object of large, medium or small size. With is potentially any object potentially animable. Turn it into an iron maiden and combo with Visceral serpent. Since your familiar has all the skills you have, use Profession(Torturer) and go all Mortal Kombat on the enemy, or hurt the target for 50 points of damage per round.

FATALITY