PDA

View Full Version : [Base Class] Twilight Child (No Vampires Involved)

Setra
2009-12-02, 01:49 AM
The Twilight Child
"Go now, child of the gods"

The Twilight Child is a creation of the gods, given life from their divine power, her body formed by the arcane energies of the universe. She is a living embodiment of her God's will. If her parent god desires peace, she is a bringer of peace, if her god desires neutrality, then so shall she, and if her god desires war, she will become the bringer of death.

However, while she will always begin her life matching her god's alignment, she can develop her own way of thinking, and even pursue other goals.

Alignment: Any, she matches her parent god's alignment at birth
Race: Any, she is formed from pure magical energy that can take the shape of any race.

Hit Die: D8
Class Skills (4+Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Concentration, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Heal, Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Arcana), Spellcraft, Survival

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Twilight Children are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and light armor.
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th

1st|+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Magical Nature|-|-|-|-|-|-

2nd|+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Light Armor Casting|0|-|-|-|-|-

3rd|+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Mettle|1|-|-|-|-|-

4th|+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|DR 1/-|2|0|-|-|-|-

5th|+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Doublecast|3|1|-|-|-

6th|+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Wounding Light|3|2|-|-|-|-

7th|+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Medium Armor Proficiency|3|2|0|-|-|-

8th|+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6|DR 2/-|3|3|1|-|-|-

9th|+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6|Medium Armor Casting|3|3|2|-|-|-

10th|+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7|God's Protection|3|3|2|0|-|-

11th|+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Spell magnetism|3|3|3|1|-|-

12th|+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|DR 3/-|3|3|3|2|-|-

13th|+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8|Triplecast|3|3|3|2|0|-

14th|+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|Heavy Armor Proficiency|3|3|3|3|1|-

15th|+11/+6/1|
+9|
+5|
+9|Spell Diversion|4|3|3|3|2|-

16th|+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|DR 4/-|4|4|3|3|2|0

17th|+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Heavy Armor Casting|4|4|4|3|3|1

18th|+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Improved God's Protection|4|4|4|4|3|2

19th|+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|DR 5/-|4|4|4|4|4|3

20th|+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Twilight Strike|4|4|4|4|4|4|4[/table]
A twilight child is born as one, thus, no class can multiclass into twilight child, however the Twilight Child can multiclass into classes related to the gods (ie. Cleric, Paladin) safely.

A Twilight Child CAN multiclass into other classes, however this turns her into an ex-twilight child, as she is no longer looked after by the gods.
Spells
A twilight child casts both arcane and divine spells, which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard and cleric spell lists respectively. She may cast any of these spells without preparing, as her magic is inherent, and as close as she is to her god, she need not ask for spells.

The twilight child's key casting ability is Constitution, and as such she may gain bonus spells at high constitution. However she can only use her bonus spells as Arcane, not divine.

Upon reaching 8th level, and at every third twilight child level after that (11th, 14th, and so on), a twilight child can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, she “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level spell the twilight child can cast. A twilight child may swap only one of each spell type (Arcane and/or Divine) at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.
Abilities
Magical Nature (Su): Due to the inherent magical nature of the twilight child, she can use level 0 spells from the cleric and sorcerer/wizard spell list, these abilities can be used a combined total of 3+ your con modifier, and do not count against your spells known.

Armored Casting (Ex): Starting at second level, a twilight child can ignore the spell failure chance of light armor, and receives a -10% spell failure chance while casting in any heavier armor. This bonus never effects shield.

At 9th level, she can ignore the spell failure chance of medium armor, and receives a total of -20% for heavy armor.

At 17th level, the twilight child no longer has to worry about spell failure chance from body armor.

Mettle (Ex): The twilight child, given her nature, can resist magical attacks with greater effectiveness than others. Beginning at 3rd level, she can draw on her nature to shrug off effects that would hinder even the toughest warrior. If you succeed on a Fortitude or Will Save that would normally produce a lesser effect on a save (such as saving throw half) you instead negate the effect. You do not gain this benefit if you are unconscious or sleeping.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 4th level, a twilight child gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the twilight child takes each time she is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. At levels 8, 12, 16, and 19 this damage reduction rises by 1 point. Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

Doublecast (Su): Starting at 5th level, a twilight child can cast two spells in a single round, as a full round action. These spells must have a casting time shorter than a full round action. This ability can be used once per day, with an additional use for each third constitution modifier. (+3, +6, +9)

Wounding Light (Su): The twilight child is gifted with unusual strength in her divine spells, and as she channels them through her body they provide a unique effect. The spell hinders your toughness, the spells remember the way to you, and it even troubles your mind.

Starting at 6th level, whenever a foe fails a saving throw against one of your divine spells, they take a saving throw penalty equal to 1/4 your total twilight child level, rounded down.

Armor Proficiency (Medium): A twilight child is now proficient in Medium Armor.

God's Protection (Su): Starting at 10th level, a twilight child has gained enough favor from her parent god to be awarded the gift of their protection, this amounts to Spell Resistance equal to her current twilight child level +10.

Spell Magnetism (Su): At 11th level, a twilight child's spells begin to have a sort of magnetism in her body. Whenever she succeeds in hitting an enemy through their spell resistance, she may ignore 10 SR when using a spell of the opposite type. This effect lasts for two rounds, or until another spell hits. If you land another spell, this effect is refreshed to apply to the most recent spell that has hit.

Armor Proficiency (Heavy): A twilight child is now proficient in Heavy Armor.

Triplecast (Su): Once reaching 13th level, a twilight child may now cast three spells in a single round, providing they are all of a lower casting time than a full round. This ability is a full round action, and consumes two uses of Doublecast.

Spell Diversion (Su): Once per encounter, starting at 15th level, whenever a spell requiring a reflex save is hurled in your direction (whether you make your spell resistance or not), you can make a special reflex save. If the roll exceeds the saving throw required by 5, you may make an attack roll at the spell, treat the saving throw as AC, and if you hit the spell, you can send it flying harmlessly into the sky.

If the twilight child rolls a critical, she can send the spell flying back at the caster. However if the attack roll fails, she is hit by the spell regardless.

Improved God's Protection (Su): The twilight child's spell resistance is increased to her current twilight child level +20.

Twilight Strike(Su): Once per day, a twilight child may combine the effects of one divine, and one arcane spell into her weapon. She then makes a single attack roll at her enemy, if this blow lands, she rolls for damage, then the arcane spell hits, followed by the divine spell.

If these spells require a reflex save, they automatically hit. The enemy takes a -10 to making their fortitude save against this attack, and a -5 to their will save. You also get a +10 to bypass their spell resistance.

This does not trigger spell magnetism, and can only be used with melee weapons.

Ex-Twilight Children
If the child grossly violates the code of conduct required by her god , she loses all of her divine spells as well as God's Protection. She can still gain levels as a twilight child, however she does not gain divine spells.

However, if the twilight child refuses to go back to her parent god's way of thinking, she can instead embrace nature, and become resume her training this way, this replaces her cleric spells with those of the druid. She can only do this if she has a neutral alignment

---

Sorry if something has been done like this before, I just had this really neat idea and it went from there... any thoughts?

Ps. In case it wasn't apparent, which I'm afraid it might not be, her spells per day are like that because half are reserved for arcane, and half are reserved for divine.. I realize this is rather complicated, sorry.

Edit: I admit I did a lot of copy/pasting on things like DR and certain abilities.. so if you see any mention of Monks or Barbarian that I missed.. :smalltongue:

arguskos
2009-12-02, 03:12 AM
What spell lists does a Twilight Child draw spells FROM? It doesn't say. I'm assuming they draw from the Cleric list and the Sor/Wiz list, but spelling it out might be a good thought.

Setra
2009-12-02, 10:53 AM
What spell lists does a Twilight Child draw spells FROM? It doesn't say. I'm assuming they draw from the Cleric list and the Sor/Wiz list, but spelling it out might be a good thought.
It's mentioned but I guess it's kinda buried
A twilight child casts both arcane and divine spells, which are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard and cleric spell lists respectively.

It's right under where it says 'spells'.

DracoDei
2009-12-02, 02:52 PM
How do you decide if the spells from high constitution are arcane or divine slots?

Looks PERHAPS a bit weak at low levels, but might be OK.

Setra
2009-12-02, 03:40 PM
How do you decide if the spells from high constitution are arcane or divine slots?

Looks PERHAPS a bit weak at low levels, but might be OK.
Edit: In my original post I had it as Arcane only for bonus spells, but I seem to have accidentally deleted that

Edit Edit: I couldn't think of any good abilities to put in at low levels, if you can think of any to help the class at low levels please share them.

Realms of Chaos
2009-12-02, 06:27 PM
Some tips that might make this competative

Some tips that may make this thing competitive
1. As this thing doesn’t really have anything to do at first level, I would remedy that. Perhaps an ability that lets you spend a full round action to imitate the effect of a cantrip or orison a number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier.
2. You don’t gain access to new spell levels at levels 3 and 6 so there is no reason to have dead levels there.
At 3rd level, I would put an ability so that if your opponent fails a saving throw against one of your divine spells, it takes a penalty against the next arcane spell you cast within the next round (and visa versa)
At 6th level, I would put up a similar ability that gives you a bonus to spell penetration checks with spells if you have succeeded on one against the target with a spell of the opposite type (arcane/divine) within the last round.
3. This thing isn’t really that powerful so unless you are trying to balance it against the bard(?), I’d do away with spells known and just grant it full access to both spell lists. While it is more spell access than any other class gets, you get very few spells per day and only get up to 6th level.
4. As all of your bonus spells are arcane, I’d give your divine spells a boost so that they can keep up.

For example, at level one you would get: “-/0” 1st level spells per day (assuming that you are doing “arcane/divine”). You would get “0/1” at level 2, “1/2” at level 3, and so on. This actually grants some spellcasting at level 1 and ends up giving you 5 spell slots per spell level at 20th level, which is better than what is currently up.

Edit: Actually, seeing how your guy seems to be a bit armored fellow, evasion and improved evasion seem to make little sense. What I'd suggest is replacing it with my suggested ability above, giving this guy mettle (like a crusader or hexblade) at 3rd level (which really fits this guy better), the saving throw lowering effect at 6th level, and the spell penetration ability at 11th level.

Actually, what is up with the saving throws. Two pairs that I have never seen until now are heavy armor + good reflex and 6th level spells + poor will. It's okay to break the pattern, of course, but what is your rationale behind it?

Edit Edit: One more thing that this could probably get away with without being too powerful is having all good saving throws. The favored soul got away with it and it got full access to 9th level spells.

Setra
2009-12-02, 07:26 PM
Some tips that might make this competative

Some tips that may make this thing competitive
1. As this thing doesn’t really have anything to do at first level, I would remedy that. Perhaps an ability that lets you spend a full round action to imitate the effect of a cantrip or orison a number of times per day equal to your Constitution modifier.
Yeah I was really at a loss as for what to put there.. That sounds good.

2. You don’t gain access to new spell levels at levels 3 and 6 so there is no reason to have dead levels there.
At 3rd level, I would put an ability so that if your opponent fails a saving throw against one of your divine spells, it takes a penalty against the next arcane spell you cast within the next round (and visa versa)
At 6th level, I would put up a similar ability that gives you a bonus to spell penetration checks with spells if you have succeeded on one against the target with a spell of the opposite type (arcane/divine) within the last round. Thanks for the ideas, alright, I'll put those in.

3. This thing isn’t really that powerful so unless you are trying to balance it against the bard(?), I’d do away with spells known and just grant it full access to both spell lists. While it is more spell access than any other class gets, you get very few spells per day and only get up to 6th level. The original idea was 'Red Mage' which made my first thought go to 'bard.. but less singy, more slashy and casty'

Yeah I wasn't sure about it, but now that I think about it, having them separate really was a silly idea...

4. As all of your bonus spells are arcane, I’d give your divine spells a boost so that they can keep up.

For example, at level one you would get: “-/0” 1st level spells per day (assuming that you are doing “arcane/divine”). You would get “0/1” at level 2, “1/2” at level 3, and so on. This actually grants some spellcasting at level 1 and ends up giving you 5 spell slots per spell level at 20th level, which is better than what is currently up.
Maybe instead of just extra spells, do you think giving it access to domains might work?

Edit: Actually, seeing how your guy seems to be a bit armored fellow, evasion and improved evasion seem to make little sense. What I'd suggest is replacing it with my suggested ability above, giving this guy mettle (like a crusader or hexblade) at 3rd level (which really fits this guy better), the saving throw lowering effect at 6th level, and the spell penetration ability at 11th level.

Actually, what is up with the saving throws. Two pairs that I have never seen until now are heavy armor + good reflex and 6th level spells + poor will. It's okay to break the pattern, of course, but what is your rationale behind it?

Edit Edit: One more thing that this could probably get away with without being too powerful is having all good saving throws. The favored soul got away with it and it got full access to 9th level spells.Beyond red mage, I wanted a character who was good at 'not dying' hence Evasion, DR, SR, heavy armor, and the Spell Diversion. However I also figured that the character, in general, would be easily manipulated (due to being born as an adult with little experience), hence the low will save. As for reflex being high well... I just wanted a character who was an agile fighter in addition to casting.

I wonder if I could drop the heavy and medium armor, and maybe come up with something a little better.

Edit: Eh, screw it.. she doesn't need to be agile, I can't think of a good way to fluff it anyways, though I also just realized that 'easy to manipulate' would probably fall more under a sense motive penalty than a bad will save..

Edit Edit: I replaced the (now useless) capstone.. I think it might be a little too powerful though.. *cough* I was mostly hoping that by level 20 it wouldn't be as powerful as I thought it was.