PDA

View Full Version : Book 2- Text 2 theory.

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-02, 10:22 AM
Okay dudes, in Text update 2 for Erfworld 2 (http://www.erfworld.com/2009/11/book-2-text-updates-002/), we get the comment from Janis that Parson "may war so terribly that it breaks war itself"

Thing is, this seems to be parallel in a way to the plot arc in Gundam Wing, where the final two factions end up in a battle intended to be so devastating that it destroyed the desire for war.

Is this a deliberate parallel or not, do you reckon?

Noble Savant
2009-12-02, 01:32 PM
The idea of a war so horrid that people stop warring altogether wasn't invented by Gundam Wing. It's been used in countless other settings.

If you really want to get into things, that arc of Gundam Wing was most likely inspired by Europe post-WW1. A great deal of the people from that time became pacifists, or at least incredibly reluctant to war again.

This was in fact a major factor in WW2, as the British and the French, the biggest european empires were incredibly tolerant of Germany's advances and and other acts that would of led to Germany being crushed 50 years beforehand. Even after they "declared war" on Germany, it was Germany that actually began the attack on them.

Rad
2009-12-02, 04:11 PM
It could be the even older idea of an universal empire, So war in erfworld would cease because there would be only one side.
While this is fascinating, and will probably arise in the plot, I do not think it will be what happens.
Why? Because this is something that, while extreme, can conceibvably happen within the rules of Erfworld. It doesn't change the world: it only changes the state it is in (maybe in a permanent way if there is no way to have part of a side rebel and form a new one, due to low loyalty or such). I expect Parson to be able to really break the rules and do so.
Just my 0.02 shmuckers anyway

PonceAlyosha
2009-12-03, 12:08 PM
Okay dudes, in Text update 2 for Erfworld 2 (http://www.erfworld.com/2009/11/book-2-text-updates-002/), we get the comment from Janis that Parson "may war so terribly that it breaks war itself"

Thing is, this seems to be parallel in a way to the plot arc in Gundam Wing, where the final two factions end up in a battle intended to be so devastating that it destroyed the desire for war.

Is this a deliberate parallel or not, do you reckon?

The fact that the phrase "break war" is used so repeatedly makes me suspect Parson will end up going against those attuned to the Arkentools. I mean, Tools.

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-03, 01:47 PM
The fact that the phrase "break war" is used so repeatedly makes me suspect Parson will end up going against those attuned to the Arkentools. I mean, Tools.

Or just turn them against each other in catastrophic ways?

Faramir
2009-12-06, 10:38 AM
Okay, here's a theory. I have no idea how he could get there but it would be consistent with Parson's mindset and probably with the general game based setting of Erfworld:

What if he manages to change the rules of the game entirely? From a combat based game to, for example, a trade based game?

I apologize if this theory has been advanced before, I don't remember seeing it but I haven't followed all threads.

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-06, 02:50 PM
Okay, here's a theory. I have no idea how he could get there but it would be consistent with Parson's mindset and probably with the general game based setting of Erfworld:

What if he manages to change the rules of the game entirely? From a combat based game to, for example, a trade based game?

I apologize if this theory has been advanced before, I don't remember seeing it but I haven't followed all threads.

Alternatively, we could just have the next Dave Arneson on our hands in the form of Parson Gotti.

Faramir
2009-12-06, 09:19 PM
Alternatively, we could just have the next Dave Arneson on our hands in the form of Parson Gotti.

Okay, I have an even harder time figuring out how this could work but I love the idea!