PDA

View Full Version : Does supernatural / spell-derived energy resistance protect your items?

Grumman
2009-12-03, 08:05 AM
My DM thinks that despite possessing Fire Resistance 10 from a supernatural equivalent to Resist Energy, my character is still vulnerable to being set on fire when hit by a fire elemental, and her items are still vulnerable to being destroyed by that fire. I would like evidence that I can present that he is incorrect, and that my character isn't going to end up in a rather embarrassing predicament if she keeps no-selling their puny attacks.

Optimystik
2009-12-03, 08:20 AM
I seem to recall that any worn equipment is considered part of the creature unless targeted by effects (like Sunder) that specifically target equipment, but I don't have a rule quote for you yet. Perhaps someone more savvy can dig it up.

Cyclocone
2009-12-03, 08:45 AM
Well, Resist Energy specifically says that it protects equipment as well.
So what is the ability in question, does it say it works like Resist Energy?

Grumman
2009-12-03, 08:52 AM
Well, Resist Energy specifically says that it protects equipment as well.
So what is the ability in question, does it say it works like Resist Energy?
The Spellwarped creature template from MM3 has an ability that can grant you a number of benefits, including +4 to STR, DEX or CON, or Energy Resistance 10.

Edwin
2009-12-03, 08:57 AM
I think the general consensus is that if you have Energy Resistance, all your items are protected as well, unless specifically targeted by an effect. As already mentioned.

Also, I read somewhere that if you resistance to an energy type, you are immune to none-magical damage from a similar source. So energy resistance fire 1 or above would make you immune to regular fire. Not sure if its true, and I never used it myself, just thought I'd point it out.

Sinfire Titan
2009-12-03, 09:28 AM
I think the general consensus is that if you have Energy Resistance, all your items are protected as well, unless specifically targeted by an effect. As already mentioned.

Also, I read somewhere that if you resistance to an energy type, you are immune to none-magical damage from a similar source. So energy resistance fire 1 or above would make you immune to regular fire. Not sure if its true, and I never used it myself, just thought I'd point it out.

DMG 2 I believe, part of the lava section.

Edwin
2009-12-03, 09:30 AM
DMG 2 I believe, part of the lava section.

Makes sense. The example given was that the character could swim in a lake of lava, because he had resistance fire 10.

DonEsteban
2009-12-03, 12:52 PM

It "feels wrong" to me, but there it is:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/environment.htm#lavaEffects

This is a strange anomaly, because I can't find anything similar anywhere else. The description of "Resist energy" http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resistenergy.htm explicitly includes "natural sources" so it seems that it would provide only resistance, but not immunity to natural fires. It also states that it "protects the recipient's equipment as well. But it says nothing about a fire elemental's burn ability.

So until proven wrong I would say that your DM is right although there is some evidence for your cause.

PS We are talking about 3.5 here, do we?
PPS This would be a nice one for the "simple Q&A thread".

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-03, 01:18 PM
PPS This would be a nice one for the "simple Q&A thread".Do you honestly consider this simple? This is the sort of thing that gets it's own thread after the "Simple Q&A" people give up on it.

Sliver
2009-12-03, 01:28 PM
Well the environment section in the SRD says that the items take the same amount of damage as the character, and looks like it includes any noninstantaneous fire.. Although I don't think my assumption was special (like, I know SilverClawShift's DM did the same to her..) so I guess unless there is some special rule that says that your resistance doesn't protect your items, I accept that it will..