PDA

View Full Version : Pre-set Illusion Spell

Lysander
2009-12-03, 11:48 AM
Illusion spells are insanely flexible, but the lower level ones all have a duration of concentration. Not very useful if you want to drop an illusion as a distraction and go somewhere else.

Introducing pre-set illusion spells. They're like a video recording, appearing the same way and moving with the same motions each time they're cast. They also have a duration of 1 min/level and allow a choice of one repetitive sound. Do you think this is fine at level one or should it go up to level two?

Lingering Image
Illusion (Figment)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Effect: Visual figment
Duration: 1 min/level
Saving Throw: Will disbelief (if interacted with)
Spell Resistance: No

You create a visual illusion chosen from a small list of pre-set figments, some matched by pre-set sounds if the caster chooses to include them. The illusions look and act the same each time they're created and the caster retains no ability to manipulate the image. The images do not react to stimulus. When the spell is cast you may pick which way the image faces.

The possible images are:

*A sleeping ogre laying on the floor with a club in its lap. Matched by loud snoring.
*A standing armored knight holding a sword with its face obscured by a helmet. No sound.
*An open wooden treasure chest filled with glittering gold coins. No sound.
*An angry black hound, matched by barking.
*A small crying human girl in a white dress holding a doll. Matched by weeping.
*A 10x10 foot brick wall. No sound.
*A 5x5x5 foot unmarked wooden crate. No sound.
*A cluster of three skeleton warriors, occasionally turning to face different directions. Matched by the quiet intermittent clattering of bones.
*An angry small viper coiling in place on the floor. Matched by hissing.
*A skittish deer, grazing in place and occasionally looking around warily. No sound.
*An alluring female human bellydancer. Matched by quiet footsteps as she dances in place.
*A hideous ten foot tall freak, a vaguely humanoid figure with numerous legs, claws, tentacles, and mandibles sprouting from its body. It has no eyes and stumbles around blindly grasping for prey in a 10x10 ft area. Matched by quiet moaning and snuffling
*Any of the above images, but it vanishes one round before the spell is set to expire and mocking laughter plays.

Because the images appear the same for each casting of Lingering Image, any magician that knows the spell can instantly recognize it as an illusion. Images with animation operate on a subtle loop, and a person watching carefully for a minute may make a base DC 15 spot check to notice the unnatural repetition. They may make a new spot check for each minute they watch.

Material Component
A chicken eye

Chrono22
2009-12-03, 03:49 PM
I think this would be better represented by a metamagic feat, rather than needing to rewrite every illusion spell.
Earthbound Spell, from the PHB2, might work.

You could also use a Glyph Seal (magic item compendium) to the same effect.

dsmiles
2009-12-03, 03:56 PM
It's limited in scope and effectiveness. Especially with the low Spot DC. I think it's balanced for level 1.

Lysander
2009-12-03, 04:26 PM
I think this would be better represented by a metamagic feat, rather than needing to rewrite every illusion spell.
Earthbound Spell, from the PHB2, might work.

You could also use a Glyph Seal (magic item compendium) to the same effect.

It doesn't alter any other illusion spells. This is just a more limited form of illusion that trades flexibility in exchange for a figment that doesn't require your concentration. A wizard could learn both Silent Image and Lingering Image and use whichever is more appropriate.

erikun
2009-12-03, 06:11 PM
This seems more appropriate for 2nd level, equal to Minor Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorImage.htm). The 1st level illusion does not include sound.

Arguably 3rd level, because I'm not seeing how this is weaker or more limited that the illusions based on concentration.

Lysander
2009-12-03, 06:43 PM
This seems more appropriate for 2nd level, equal to Minor Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorImage.htm). The 1st level illusion does not include sound.

Arguably 3rd level, because I'm not seeing how this is weaker or more limited that the illusions based on concentration.

It's limited in that you can only choose from 12 different illusions that appear the same each time. If those 12 things don't fit your current situation you're out of luck. Meanwhile the concentration based spells let you simulate anything you could possibly want and control it. Being able to make your illusions react makes them far more believable.

Chrono22
2009-12-03, 06:47 PM
There is no way this is a 3rd level spell. Even 2nd level is a stretch.

I'd say it falls evenly into what other 1st level spells can do.

Lysander
2009-12-03, 08:08 PM
What do you think of the list of figments? Do you think there should be more choices? Less? Do the particular ones currently on the list work? Can you think of anything specific I should add?