PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining Telepathy [3.5]

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 01:31 PM
I am playing a Fighter 1/Erudite 3, and I want him to communicate via Telepathy except in exceptional circumstances (basing this idea of Anastasis from Final Fantasy XII (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TzGGWMT-qA) [35 secs in]).

I'm currently using an item of Mindlink, but that only allows me to link with 1 person at a time (If orgot about the Augmentation thing until someone used it in game).

Is there any way for me to get true Telepathy at this level?
Or some other way of communicating with multiple people telepathically via an item?
Is Telepathy alone worth a +1LA?

Thanks
K-B

JeenLeen
2009-12-04, 01:48 PM
I don't know of any. I would like to warn of an abuse of telepathy (and a reason to want it.)

If you have Telepathy (not a spell or psionic power, but telepathy itself), you can get the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness, which is a very hard to hide from form of vision.

I could see Telepathy being at least close to +1. Maybe it and something else, since LA hurts so if buy-off or other mediating means aren't allowed.

What race are you? That could be a factor.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 01:58 PM
I don't know of any. I would like to warn of an abuse of telepathy (and a reason to want it.)

If you have Telepathy (not a spell or psionic power, but telepathy itself), you can get the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness, which is a very hard to hide from form of vision.

I could see Telepathy being at least close to +1. Maybe it and something else, since LA hurts so if buy-off or other mediating means aren't allowed.

What race are you? That could be a factor.

Currently Maenrad, though I think a little persuasion could let that be changed (as long as I'm Humanoid).

I have no intention of cheesing it, I literally just wanna be a Psychic that is "above" talking unless absolutely required.

Draz74
2009-12-04, 02:00 PM
I have no intention of cheesing it, I literally just wanna be a Psychic that is "above" talking unless absolutely required.

If you can find the old Druid Handbook, I think it described a race that was exactly like that under the Race Suggestions section. (The Handbook was more concerned about being able to communicate while Wildshaped than it was about fluff, of course.)

JeenLeen
2009-12-04, 02:02 PM
Psicrystals get telepathic link with their owner at level 1. At level 5, they get telepathic speech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#telepathicSpeech).

This works like telepathy, so I could see a DM letting you communicate telepathically through the link with your psicrystal, then have it speak for you. Since it is an aspect of your personality, you could consider it you talking to them even, just after a moment of thought/processing through your psicrystal.

There would be no 'real' delay according to game mechanics, as telepathic speech (like regular speech) is a free action: you talk to your psicrystal and it relays the thoughts to your comrades.

Edit: this would make you have to wait a level, so it doesn't answer your query. Also, the text says "owner" being level 5, not having 5 manifester levels, but I could see a DM making it be that you have to have 5 Erudite levels before you can use telepathic speech. (And maybe it states owner levels means manifester levels somewhere in the text.)

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 02:04 PM
Well other than the obvious mindbender dip, Hellbred get Telepathy at 15 HD for the mind aspect, and Ghostwise Halflings get it at level 1.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-04, 02:10 PM
Psicrystals get telepathic link with their owner at level 1. At level 5, they get telepathic speech (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#telepathicSpeech).

This works like telepathy, so I could see a DM letting you communicate telepathically through the link with your psicrystal, then have it speak for you. Since it is an aspect of your personality, you could consider it you talking to them even, just after a moment of thought/processing through your psicrystal.

There would be no 'real' delay according to game mechanics, as telepathic speech (like regular speech) is a free action: you talk to your psicrystal and it relays the thoughts to your comrades.

Edit: this would make you have to wait a level, so it doesn't answer your query. Also, the text says "owner" being level 5, not having 5 manifester levels, but I could see a DM making it be that you have to have 5 Erudite levels before you can use telepathic speech. (And maybe it states owner levels means manifester levels somewhere in the text.)

That would require 5 Erudite Levels, but I'm liking the way your mind works.

Well other than the obvious mindbender dip, Hellbred get Telepathy at 15 HD for the mind aspect, and Ghostwise Halflings get it at level 1.

Ghostwise Halflings (thanks Draz for the Druid Handbook idea) can only commune with 1 person at a time, which is he same problem I currently face.

And I'd really rather not wait 11 levels before getting it, though thanks for the suggestion.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 02:25 PM
Well, if you have 5 levels of Erudite, a case can be made for them qualifying as psions and picking up the ACF giving them Telepathy of 5' per manifester level. Might take some finagling but within reason I would think.

ex cathedra
2009-12-04, 02:27 PM
Level 5 Telepaths (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) get scaling telepathy based on manifester level.

Douglas
2009-12-04, 02:31 PM
I think one of the soulmelds from Magic of Incarnum can grant telepathy. As I recall you have to bind it to one of your chakras, but this is doable with two feats and no class levels, though the chakra bind feat may require a higher level than you have.

KellKheraptis
2009-12-04, 02:34 PM
Level 5 Telepaths (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a) get scaling telepathy based on manifester level.

Generally speaking that is correct. If you wanna split hairs with a really cheesy razor, Dragon Magic allows it. A Discipline Focused Erudite can pick up the ACF, and if he later PsyRefs out (as in, has learned all the nice discipline only powers), he still can keep the ACF as he shares the "spell list" (read : power list) with the class in question. Dicey and super shaky, but there it is. The easiest way is to just ask the DM if you can give up a feat the same way the Telepath did, since you can already do the exact same things he can, and it costs you the same price it does him.

awa
2009-12-04, 03:44 PM
you need to be level 6 to take the feat (i think maybe its level 9 not positive)
edit im talking about the incarnuim meld