PDA

View Full Version : custom class-the Wanderer. i have no clue what i'm doing

Acero
2009-12-05, 07:43 PM
i'm home-brewing a class called The Nomad. Wanderer

This is what I'm going for (hard to find and kill)

if you were suddenly dropped in the middle of nowhere, this is the class you would want to be.

if you ticked off a lot of people in high places, you want to be this class.

if you go no one else, you better be a Wanderer

light armor, scimitars and maybe knifes, some illusion and healing ability.

uses CON, WIS, and maybe DEX, INT. or CHA

Neutral-Lawful Neutral-Good

feat list:
diehard
something for speed
TWF
abundant step (jumping on dunes)
favored landscapes (desert and wasteland)
martial weapon proficient: knives and scimitars
simple weapon proficient: unarmed
GTWF

skills:
dig/burrow
concentrate
ride (camel?)
survival
jump

would this work? how should i stat it? how should i improve this? all help is good help

Bibliomancer
2009-12-05, 07:48 PM
A good start would be to rename it the Bedouin to avoid confusion with the psion sub-type of the same name.

Apart from that, start with ranger and remove everything that couldn't be used in a desert/grassland. Add an ability to burrow/survive sandstorms too. Anything the Fremen from Dune would do would be appropriate, so endurance and diehard as bonus feats, probably. Fast movement as well.

kamikasei
2009-12-05, 07:57 PM
Before you decide on mechanics, think about what it's meant to do. What's the concept?

We can't give you any useful advice aside from "that's too weak/strong" unless we know what you're aiming for.

ghashxx
2009-12-05, 11:00 PM
Basically making the Fremen from Dune would seem to be pretty effective. So things about quick clotting blood to minimize water loss and a concentration on knives, probably duel wielding. definitely lawful if you're really going Fremen as they have an incredibly binding code of conduct, but this part comes down to fluff. Unarmed combat would also be a nice flavor feat (always capable of fighting no matter the circumstances).

Actually I think maybe gestalting rogue and ranger would be pretty good. Naturally you should check out Sandstorm.

And as for the knives, maybe fiddle a bit with crit range or actual damage dice size with class progression so a 20th level dude be using daggers with great crit ranges (like 15-20 and keen etc don't stack) or they're dishing out 2d6 each.

Heck, I want to play something like this.

Lappy9000
2009-12-05, 11:57 PM
Try to think of something new and cool to make the class attractive. In other words, you don't need to make a new form of magic casting, but don't just splice pre-existing class features together.

Acero
2009-12-06, 01:17 PM
all noted. thank you

gdiddy
2009-12-06, 02:21 PM
Give them daggers or kukris, but give them a scaling ability to ignore armor and shields. Capstone: Enhancement and Deflection are halved. Down side: It's a dagger.

Acero
2009-12-06, 11:45 PM
This is what I'm going for

if you were suddenly dropped in the middle of nowhere, this is the class you would want to be.

if you ticked off a lot of people in high places, you want to be this class.

if you go no one else, you better be a Wanderer.

please help. i have no clue what i'm doing

Glimbur
2009-12-07, 08:36 PM
It sounds like a Ranger to me, to be honest.

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-07, 08:53 PM
There is a class in the AEG Swashbuckling Adventures book that's called the Wanderer and does exactly what you want it to do, assuming it's a Base Class you're after.

As the book is out of print and the class is OGC, i could provide a copy if you like [PM me for that]. The basic jist of the class is that they wandered the world for years, surviving and learning all sorts of trades. I don't think it has Abundant step, but that sort of thing can be had from various prestige classes that are easily enough entered.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-07, 09:14 PM
Also, you should use a table; I find it helps a lot with trying to pace things and see exactly what the character is getting at each level. It's probably easiest to do this in Excel or Calc or something, but if you want to show us a table that you come up with, use something like this (quote my post to see the code):
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special
1st | +0 | +2 | +0 | +2 | Some bonus
2nd | +1 | +3 | +0 | +3 | Some other bonus
3rd | +2 | +3 | +1 | +3 | Yet another[/table]

The standard questions, right off the bat, are: Poor (1/2 level), Medium (3/4 level), or Good (level) BAB, and which saves are Good (2 + 1/2 level) or Poor (1/3 level). For this, Medium BAB and Good Fort/Will, Poor Ref saves seem most appropriate, I think. That or three good saves, but that's pretty rare in 3.5 and should probably stay that way.

Once you've figured those out, start filling out levels with features. You have a pretty good list of things to get - what order do you want to get them at? Also, a list of feats that anybody could get might not be that interesting - what is going to be unique about this class?

On spellcasting, I'd probably keep it very light for something like this; maybe a Bard's progression?