PDA

View Full Version : Martial Swashbuckler [ToB base class]

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-07, 02:44 PM
Martial Swashbuckler

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/psychictheurge10/Swashbuckler.jpg

Why a Martial Swashbuckler?
Looking at the 3 ToB martial adepts, the Crusader seems counter-themed with its Delayed Damage and Retributive Strike abilities, the Swordsage seems boost-themed with its benefits with chosen disciplines and its Dual Boost ability, and the warblade seems stance-focused with its all-around combat bonuses and Dual Stance ability, so I thought a strike-focused class would be a good idea. Since the swashbuckler is widely seen as a 3-level dip class, I thought improving and ToB-izing it would be better than making an entirely new martial adept.

Hit Die: d10
Skills: Increase skill points to 6+Int per level; add Martial Lore and Sleight of Hand as class skills.

The Martial Swashbuckler
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances|Special
1|+1|+0|+2|+0|4|4|1|Weapon Finesse
2|+2|+0|+3|+0|4|4|1|Signature Move
3|+3|+1|+3|+1|4|5|1|Grace +1
4|+4|+1|+4|+1|4|5|1|Signature Move
5|+5|+1|+4|+1|5|5|1|Dodge +1
6|+6/+1|+2|+5|+2|5|6|1|Quick Recovery (Flank)
7|+7/+2|+2|+5|+2|5|6|2|Signature Move
8|+8/+3|+2|+6|+2|5|6|2|Quick Recovery (Flat-footed)
9|+9/+4|+3|+6|+3|6|7|2|Insightful Strike (attack action)
10|+10/+5|+3|+7|+3|6|7|2|Dodge +2
11|+11/+6/+1|+3|+7|+3|6|7|2|Grace +2
12|+12/+7/+2|+4|+8|+4|6|8|2|Signature Move
13|+13/+8/+3|+4|+8|+4|7|8|3|Misdirection
14|+14/+9/+4|+4|+9|+4|7|8|3|Insightful Strike (attack of opportunity)
15|+15/+10/+5|+5|+9|+5|7|9|3|Dodge +3
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+5|+10|+5|7|9|3|Acrobatic Skill Mastery
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+5|8|9|3|Panache
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+6|8|10|3|Improved Evasion
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+6|8|10|4|Grace +3, Dodge +4
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|8|10|4|Dual Strike[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the swashbuckler.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Swashbucklers are proficient with simple and martial weapons, light armor, and bucklers. Some of the swashbuckler’s class features rely on him being no more than lightly armored and unencumbered.

Maneuvers and Stances: A swashbuckler begins with knowledge of four maneuvers. Not all swashbucklers are created equal, and a given swashbuckler will have his own style of fighting. A swashbuckler has access to the Diamond Mind discipline automatically and may choose two other disciplines to which he has access based on his area(s) of focus; once chosen, the particular additional disciplines may not be changed:
Duelist: This type of swashbuckler is a master fencer, able to parry and redirect any attacks aimed at him. The swashbuckler gains access to the Setting Sun discipline.
Hero: An inspiration to allies, this type of swashbuckler dominates the battlefield with his sheer presence and always seems to have the perfect plan. The swashbuckler gains access to the White Raven discipline.
Acrobat: No matter how many foes he faces, this type of swashbuckler will tumble past all of them without getting a scratch. The swashbuckler gains access to the Desert Wind discipline.
Show-Off: Falling from heights, swinging on chandeliers, and leaping over opponents, this type of swashbuckler enjoys flashy attacks through the air with rapier and dagger. The swashbuckler gains access to the Tiger Claw discipline.
Perfectionist: This type of swashbuckler executes every parry, every lunge, and every strike with immaculate precision, and derides any who cannot do the same. The swashbuckler gains access to the Iron Heart discipline.
Avenger: Striking from the shadows and getting the drop on opponents, this type of swashbuckler metes out swift justice to his opponents before they know what hit them. The swashbuckler gains access to the Shadow Hand discipline and adds Hide to his list of class skills.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered swashbuckler level after that, a swashbuckler can choose to learn a new maneuver in place of one he already knows, exactly as other martial adepts can.

Maneuvers Readied: A swashbuckler may ready all four of his maneuvers known at first level, and may ready more maneuvers as he advances in level. A higher-level swashbuckler may ready more maneuvers than he knows due to his Signature Move class ability (see below). A swashbuckler readies his maneuvers by exhibiting fancy bladework, taunting his opponents, and generally showing off and “psyching himself up” for at least 5 minutes before a fight.

A swashbuckler can recover all expended maneuvers except his Signature Move(s) (see below) by taking the total defense action, as the swashbuckler effortlessly parries his opponents’ attacks and bemoans their lack of skill. The swashbuckler may not initiate any strikes in the round in which he recovers maneuvers through the total defense action. In addition, every time a swashbuckler successfully feints against, trips, or disarms an opponent, he regains a single Signature Move of his choice.

Weapon Finesse (Ex): A swashbuckler gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at 1st level.

Grace (Ex): A swashbuckler gains a +1 competence bonus on Reflex saves at 3rd level. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and to +3 at 19th level. A swashbuckler gains this bonus only when wearing light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load.

Signature Move (Ex): At 2nd level, a swashbuckler develops his own idiosyncratic style and begins to favor particular strikes over others. A swashbuckler may choose a single strike he knows with an initiation time of one standard action to be able to ready more than once; this is an exception to the normal rule that a given maneuver may only be readied once. At 4th level, 7th level, and 12th level, he gains an additional signature strike.

Any maneuvers designated as Signature Moves cannot be recovered by Adaptive Style, Sudden Recovery, or any other means aside from those denoted in the swashbuckler class description; a swashbuckler's technique requires a certain flashiness and a certain pacing, which the overuse of signature maneuvers would defeat.

Dodge (Ex): At 5th level a swashbuckler receives a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against melee attacks. This bonus increases by a cumulative +1 at 10th and 15th level. A swashbuckler gains this bonus only when wearing light or no armor and carrying no more than a light load.

Quick Recovery (Ex): As a swashbuckler perfects his fighting style, he becomes better able to utilize his maneuvers and can get a “second wind” with less effort. Starting at 6th level, a swashbuckler regains one Signature Move whenever he successfully attacks a flanked opponent, and starting at 8th level a swashbuckler regains one maneuver of his choice whenever he successfully attacks an opponent who is denied his Dexterity bonus to AC.

Insightful Strike (Ex): A swashbuckler is able to strike his opponents with more speed and power and with less effort. At 9th level, he may initiate one of his Signature Moves in place of a single attack action, allowing him to initiate the strike as part of a full attack action, and at 14th level he may initiate a Signature Move in place of a single attack of opportunity. These do not replace each other; a 14th level swashbuckler could make a full attack with one of the attacks being a Signature Move and make one "strike of opportunity" between turns.

This ability may not be used in conjunction with maneuvers that grant extra attacks, extra full attacks, extra attacks of opportunity, or the like, only in conjunction with a normal full attack or attack of opportunity.

Misdirection (Ex): Starting at 13th level, a swashbuckler’s maneuvers become more effective as he tricks and unbalances his opponents at just the right time for him to strike. The swashbuckler may substitute a Bluff or Sleight of Hand check (swashbuckler’s choice) in place of another discipline’s key skill when initiating a maneuver.

Acrobatic Skill Mastery (Ex): At 16th level, a swashbuckler masters the flashy acrobatics that most associate with swashbucklers. He may take 10 on Jump, Balance, and Tumble checks even under stress, and every time the swashbuckler makes a successful Jump, Balance, or Tumble check (as long as that check is not made as part of a maneuver), he recovers one maneuver of his choice.

Panache: A 12th level swashbuckler is an expert when it comes to outwitting his opponents. He may substitute his Intelligence modifier for another discipline's key ability modifier when determining the save DC of a maneuver.

Improved Evasion (Ex): An 18th level swashbuckler gains improved evasion, as the rogue special ability.

Dual Strike: A 20th level swashbuckler has mastered his signature style such that he can strike twice in the time it would take another warrior to strike once. He may initiate one of his readied Signature Moves at the beginning of his turn as a free action.

The-Mage-King
2009-12-07, 02:48 PM
...Nice...

Galileo
2009-12-07, 02:58 PM
Cool. I really like the Sublime Way and the fluff for the Swashbuckler, so this is great. I'm not so sure about the option for Setting Sun being described as a Duelist path, though. It seems to me like it'd be more suited for a Brawler, considering that it relies heavily on hurling people into walls.

pyrefiend
2009-12-07, 02:59 PM
I don't have time right now to go into an in-depth review, but I will say that I think giving them Desert Wind is a mistake. It has a few maneuvers and strikes that fit the idea perfectly, but there are a ton that are focused on shooting fire, and that doesn't seem to fit at all.

Tavar
2009-12-07, 03:43 PM
I don't have time right now to go into an in-depth review, but I will say that I think giving them Desert Wind is a mistake. It has a few maneuvers and strikes that fit the idea perfectly, but there are a ton that are focused on shooting fire, and that doesn't seem to fit at all.

Considering that only some swashbucklers would have access to it, as they must choose their other 2 disciplines, I don't think it's a bif problem.

Overall, I like the class, as it seems rather elegantly executed.

Gpope
2009-12-07, 04:10 PM
SOLID. This is a really awesome class; it's reasonably elegant, it does a lot of unique things that distinguish it from the base ToB classes, and the mechanics reinforce the flavor in a big damn way.

There's just one thing that gives me pause. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general interpretation of Adaptive Style is that it refreshes your maneuvers when you re-ready them, right? If so, that could be pretty broken with the Swashbuckler. The ability to initiate extra standard action Signature Moves in a round is a tremendously powerful ability, which seems to be balanced by the fact that the Swashbuckler must pull off feints/disarms/trips to recharge Signature Moves--they can go nova in a big way, but then they'll be limited to a more normal output for the rest of the fight.

With Adaptive Style, they can load up and fire half a dozen Signature Moves in a single full attack (they're presumably going to get extra attacks from somewhere, TWF if nothing else), take a round to recharge, then do it again. That's not something you're going to see other initiators doing.

(Also, just for sake of clarity I might recommend having Insightful Strike specify that it only works with standard action strikes. This is technically redundant since that's part of the definition of a Signature Move, but it's a rather important distinction and I think it bears repeating.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-07, 06:44 PM
I'm not so sure about the option for Setting Sun being described as a Duelist path, though. It seems to me like it'd be more suited for a Brawler, considering that it relies heavily on hurling people into walls.

While the brawler-esque default flavor of Setting Sun doesn't quite fit the swashbuckler archetype, most of the maneuvers fit the swashbuckler just as well with a bit of reflavoring: Mighty Throw and Clever Positioning (and the other "move your opponent" maneuvers) are basically ducking under a blow and shoving your opponent, Feigned Opening and Baffling Defense already sound like swashbuckler moves, Scorpion Parry and Fool's Strike use enemies' strengths against them, and so on. A player who wants to use Setting Sun to represent that style of fighting can do so, and one who feels it doesn't fit can pick something else.

Considering that only some swashbucklers would have access to it, as they must choose their other 2 disciplines, I don't think it's a bif problem.

Precisely. As with the Duelist/Setting Sun option, the whole discipline isn't going to perfectly fit the swashbuckler, but anyone who wanted to use the parts that do fit and ignore the rest are free to do so.

There's just one thing that gives me pause. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general interpretation of Adaptive Style is that it refreshes your maneuvers when you re-ready them, right? If so, that could be pretty broken with the Swashbuckler.

...oh dear. I didn't even consider that; I think of Adaptive Style as "that swordsage crutch feat" and don't really consider it for other initiators. I'll edit in that you can't refresh Signature Moves with it.

EDIT: Note about Adaptive Style and other maneuver-refreshes added.

(Also, just for sake of clarity I might recommend having Insightful Strike specify that it only works with standard action strikes. This is technically redundant since that's part of the definition of a Signature Move, but it's a rather important distinction and I think it bears repeating.

I suppose it can't hurt to clarify. I'll do that.

And, purely for the sake of my ego:

...Nice...

Cool. I really like the Sublime Way and the fluff for the Swashbuckler, so this is great.

Overall, I like the class, as it seems rather elegantly executed.

SOLID. This is a really awesome class; it's reasonably elegant, it does a lot of unique things that distinguish it from the base ToB classes, and the mechanics reinforce the flavor in a big damn way.

:smallbiggrin:

Thanks for all the praise, guys.

pyrefiend
2009-12-07, 08:52 PM
Precisely. As with the Duelist/Setting Sun option, the whole discipline isn't going to perfectly fit the swashbuckler, but anyone who wanted to use the parts that do fit and ignore the rest are free to do so.

Well sure, but they're also free to take the stuff that doesn't fit, and doing so is a perfectly viable option, at least mechanically. A great deal of these swashbucklers are going to be masters of swordplay, agility, and unleashing huge torrents of fire. It's your class and your decision, obviously, but all the fire-themed maneuvers just make a total logical disconnect in my mind.

Tavar
2009-12-07, 08:59 PM
Well sure, but they're also free to take the stuff that doesn't fit, and doing so is a perfectly viable option, at least mechanically. A great deal of these swashbucklers are going to be masters of swordplay, agility, and unleashing huge torrents of fire. It's your class and your decision, obviously, but all the fire-themed maneuvers just make a total logical disconnect in my mind.

Why does it do that? Melee's been doing stuff like that for some time now, see Duskblade.

pyrefiend
2009-12-07, 09:19 PM
Why does it do that? Melee's been doing stuff like that for some time now, see Duskblade.

Sure but those classes have had obviously magical flavor, whereas this doesn't have many abilities that seem overtly magical.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-07, 09:33 PM

If by "great deal" you mean less than 1/6 of the class. :smallwink: Keep in mind that swashbucklers know Diamond Mind and two others, so it's entirely possible for a swashbuckler to use all Diamond Mind and Iron Heart maneuvers except for that Flame's Blessing stance they picked up to be able to do this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0119.html) without taking damage. There are at least 6 maneuvers in it with absolutely nothing to do with fire (more, if you're willing to reflavor stuff), and I think that's enough to offer it as a choice--because again, if you find it causes a logical disconnect you can ignore it, but if you like those maneuvers you can take it.

Tavar
2009-12-07, 09:36 PM
Sure but those classes have had obviously magical flavor, whereas this doesn't have many abilities that seem overtly magical.

So...the one's who take it have a magical flavor as well? And you don't seem to be complaining about the shadow hand stuff.

elliott20
2009-12-07, 09:59 PM
hmm... this looks great! great design direction that distinguishes it mechanically and flavor wise from the other base initiators, elegant design, and it is very customizable just like the others. Good job! This is definitely making it's way into the ToB netbook... if you're cool with that, of course.

My own concern, however, is mostly surrounding insightful strike. While it's COOL as heck, I wonder if there might be some potential abuse with this when you combine this with boost and stances that increases the number of attacks you can do. i.e. time stand still and a lot of Tiger Claw stuff is already fairly powerful since it can give you extra attacks. If you allow them to use strike maneuvers off of those, this guy can go nova in the most serious way. the thing is, I don't have the skill or the time to crunch numbers right now, so I can substantiate my concerns that well at the moment. anybody want to give that a go to see what they can do?

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-07, 11:07 PM
hmm... this looks great! great design direction that distinguishes it mechanically and flavor wise from the other base initiators, elegant design, and it is very customizable just like the others. Good job! This is definitely making it's way into the ToB netbook... if you're cool with that, of course.

As a matter of fact, this is an older class of mine which I reposted when I saw the ToB netbook project, so I'm perfectly fine with that.

My own concern, however, is mostly surrounding insightful strike. While it's COOL as heck, I wonder if there might be some potential abuse with this when you combine this with boost and stances that increases the number of attacks you can do. i.e. time stand still and a lot of Tiger Claw stuff is already fairly powerful since it can give you extra attacks. If you allow them to use strike maneuvers off of those, this guy can go nova in the most serious way. the thing is, I don't have the skill or the time to crunch numbers right now, so I can substantiate my concerns that well at the moment. anybody want to give that a go to see what they can do?

Keep in mind that it's full attacks and AoOs only, so those maneuvers that give you extra attacks wouldn't qualify.

...er, except that you can with Time Stands Still, it seems. Hmm. I'll put a note in there that you can't use it to replace an attack as part of a maneuver; I'd forgotten that some of them let you make a full attack and do something X. Good catch.

EDIT: So noted.

Surrealistik
2009-12-07, 11:25 PM
I like it.