PDA

View Full Version : Build idea - optimising backstory

Heliomance
2009-12-09, 03:32 PM
Basic idea: Bard/Rogue, Changeling Rogue or Expert, 6th level. Leadership. Maxed Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering). List in the backstory that you are the main architectural contracter for whatever town you're based in, and that you and your company (your followers) designed and built a good proportion of the noble residences in town. Incidentally, you conveniently designed them so that you could easily get in - keeping a copy of the keys, making sure the secret escape tunnel was openable from outside, etc. Alternatively, maybe you were commissioned to design the town jail, and you hid a set of lockpicks in every cell where only you knew where they are. The point is, you can now get in and out of all the most important buildings in town easily!

Glimbur
2009-12-09, 03:38 PM
You're a pretty terrible architect if you hid a set of lockpicks in every jail cell. Prisoners have nothing but time, so someone with enough Int and/or ranks in Search will take 20 and find them.

Zovc
2009-12-09, 03:39 PM
I'd say this is just as vulnerable to a DM saying "no." I mean, if the DM doesn't want something to happen, his word is final, according to the game's rules.

To quote Flight of the Conchords:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmLHOGT0v4c (1:40)
Brett: "...they have to deal with all the imaginary stuff, like--uh--rogue unicorns, for example."
Jermaine: "Okay, sure, there are a lot of things I haven't thought about, I guess."

Optimystik
2009-12-09, 03:42 PM
Were Knock and Passwall not complicated enough for you?

Boci
2009-12-09, 04:29 PM
Why am I reminded of the PC who claims to be a prince in their background story and at some point demands his inheritance? I'm not saying this is bad, but its a similar concept. I'd talk to your DM about this beofre you even write the background story and see if he agrees. If he does, he can tell all the players and it could work out well. Spring it on him and it will not.

Ormagoden
2009-12-09, 04:34 PM
Were Knock and Passwall not complicated enough for you?

Opti you never fail to make me chuckle!

But on subject...

It sounds neat, it also sounds like something a huge group of people would have to be in on.

Also as above springing it on your DM won't work. I for one would say no. Especially if you just happen to bring up your back story right after I incarcerate you for groping the kings daughter or some such.

If you really wanted it, I'd find a way to work it out though. You'd just be involved in whatever organization wanted those architectural changes in the first place.

Skeletor
2009-12-09, 04:35 PM
Planning to fail is failing to plan.

Screw the Jail idea, and if he's built so many houses what's he done to his fortune? Why risk what sounds like a profitable company to steal from your clients. Hell you'd probably be better off cutting corners in construction and inflating your prices.