PDA

View Full Version : A second edition situtation

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-10, 04:28 PM
So, i finally got my followers in second ed.

I got an 8th level fighter, an 8th level necromancer, an 8th level priest of Mictlantecuhtli (olman god of death), and a 7th level transmuter.

My question is where I should put my weapon proficiencies for my fighter.
the choices my DM gave are:
Blowgun, Bolas, Spear, Bow, Club, hand axe, dagger, and Javelin
I have eight proficiency slots with a max of three in one weapon. What do the pros recommend? I like the bolas, so I want at least two ranks in it. I actually prefer javelins to bows...so one or two ranks in those. But what else?

LibraryOgre
2009-12-10, 04:42 PM
So, i finally got my followers in second ed.

I got an 8th level fighter, an 8th level necromancer, an 8th level priest of Mictlantecuhtli (olman god of death), and a 7th level transmuter.

My question is where I should put my weapon proficiencies for my fighter.
the choices my DM gave are:
Blowgun, Bolas, Spear, Bow, Club, hand axe, dagger, and Javelin
I have eight proficiency slots with a max of three in one weapon. What do the pros recommend? I like the bolas, so I want at least two ranks in it. I actually prefer javelins to bows...so one or two ranks in those. But what else?

Hand axe is a good weapon, with some magical options. Javelins are nicely flexible, as are daggers. I'd suggest either daggers or hand axes, and probably a slot in club simply because it is very hard to long-term disarm someone who knows how to use a club... and they're not bad weapons, if you're facing man-sized creatures.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-10, 04:46 PM
Are you using weapon speed rules if so I belive spears are pritty quick and i would sugest taking that... though i am away from my books atm.

DonEsteban
2009-12-10, 05:33 PM
Wait, what do you mean "max of three in one weapon"? I thought it was one weapon -- one slot. What are you talking about?

Anyway, the problem with javelins (and bolas, I believe) is their short range. You should always have some kind of bow if you can afford it.

nepphi
2009-12-10, 05:38 PM
In 2nd ed, fighters can have multiple proficiencies in a single weapon. Proficiency, specialization, mastery, high mastery, grand mastery I believe, each with their own distinct bonuses.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-10, 05:38 PM
Wait, what do you mean "max of three in one weapon"? I thought it was one weapon -- one slot. What are you talking about?

Anyway, the problem with javelins (and bolas, I believe) is their short range. You should always have some kind of bow if you can afford it.

They may be using a system similar to either PO's Mastery or Bioware's Infinity engine's specialization rules. If you put three slots in a weapon, you had a +3 to hit/+3 to damage, plus the normal 3/2 (or, in this case, 2/1) attack rate.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-10, 05:40 PM

with proficency system to specilise in a weapon you had to be a fighter an have two or three open prof slots. 2 for melee and xbows and 3 for bows.

the benifits where numerous....

+1 to attacks,+2 dmg, higher attack rates, Bows had increase ranges... Also if before combat started the character had an arrow knocked or loaded he could fire it before any one got there initiatives...

archers in 2nd ed where alot of fun..

I think one of the players options allowed you to spend a 3rd slot to get some other bonus's

LibraryOgre
2009-12-10, 05:41 PM
Are you using weapon speed rules if so I belive believe spears are pritty pretty quick and i I would sugest suggest taking that... though i I am away from my books atm.

Spears are actually pretty slow... around 6 or 7, IIRC.

However, it is worth noting whether you're using style specialization... that can make a pretty big impact on what you spend your slots on.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-10, 05:45 PM

we use specialization and mastery rules. As a single class fighter he can actually get up to High mastery at this level, but I'd rather spread out his proficiencies now...

Also, can a javelin be used in melee? If so, does it say so somewhere?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-10, 05:49 PM
Spears are actually pretty slow... around 6 or 7, IIRC.

However, it is worth noting whether you're using style specialization... that can make a pretty big impact on what you spend your slots on.

Eaither way...

Spear is probebly your best bet on yoru list. now that im home spears do 1d8/1d6 which is nice... and there spead is a 6 which is 1 higher then a long sword...

If you want the best i would give him a bow and have him specalise they can be pritty awsome sauce if you do it right.

Siosilvar
2009-12-10, 06:01 PM
Either way...

Spear is probably your best bet on your list. now that I'm home spears do 1d8/1d6 which is nice... and there speed is a 6 which is 1 higher then a long sword...

Which is slower.

jmbrown
2009-12-10, 06:01 PM
I see your DM won't let him specialize in dart. I guess he doesn't appreciate fighters tossing, what was it, 5 darts per round with specialization at level 8?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-10, 06:04 PM
Which is slower.

ya never said it was faster.

jim:
ya it was ridculous

with a 18(01)
1d3+5 per dart was amazing.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-10, 06:16 PM
I see your DM won't let him specialize in dart. I guess he doesn't appreciate fighters tossing, what was it, 5 darts per round with specialization at level 8?
He does, but he won't include the strength bonus if you throw all five.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-10, 06:21 PM
He does, but he won't include the full strength bonus behind it.

even without the full str dmg behind it you will still be out dmging people just from the specilization

5 darts at +2 even +3(with some str)
would be doing 15-20 dmg base.

even a halberd doing a 1d10 dmg with full 18(00) str is doing
7-18 dmg (1d10+4 for str +2 for spec)

DonEsteban
2009-12-10, 06:58 PM
I begin to remember... Yeah, we used this once -- from Skills&Powers, I believe. And darts are awesome... :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, back on topic:

Also, can a javelin be used in melee? If so, does it say so somewhere?
I believe so. At least it nowhere says that you couldn't.

I don't know anything about the bolas, but it sounds cool from a flavour perspective. And as a general note, knowing one thing really good is often worth more than knowing several things okay, so I would take the highest level in a least one of the weapons. I would go for bola 3, hand axe 2, bow, club and dagger. It depends if you want him as a melee or a ranged type. It depends on a lot of things in your campaign, actually. In the campaigns I played, for example, you should usually always know how to wield a dagger, because there were so many of those lying around in dungeons ;)

Matthew
2009-12-20, 09:18 PM
I am pretty sure a javelin can be used in hand to hand combat. I suppose that begs the question, why use a spear? Looks like spears do better damage against large targets and have a two handed designation that does better damage as well, so it would seem reasonable as well as likely.