20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+6|Zephyr|
+4|
+70ft[/table]

Game Rule Information
Abilities: the most valuable ability scores for a wind dancer are Wisdom and Dexterity. Wisdom increases the effectiveness of his powers. Wind Dancers are naturally agile and dexterous. Dexterity increases his AC. Strength of course increases damage from melee attacks so combat oriented wind dancers should invest. Constitution is of course important for health.

Alignment: Any, usually chaotic

Hit Die: d8

Class Skills
Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Professions, Search, Sense Motive, Slight of Hand, Spot, Tumble.
Skill points 4 + Int. (x4 at 1st level)

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Wind Dancer is proficient with light armor but not shields. They are proficient with all simple and martial light melee weapons as well as all simple and martial ranged weapons. Wind dancers are also proficient with scimitars, rapiers, and falchions.

Unarmored Speed Bonus: A wind dancer gains an enhancement bonus to her base land speed as indicated in the speed bonus chart provided that the she is unarmored, is not wielding a shield and isn’t carrying a medium or heavy load.

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmored and unencumbered, the wind dancer adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a wind dancer gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five wind dancer levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the wind dancer is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Evasion (Ex): As long as a wind dancer is unarmored and carrying no more than a light load, if subjected to an attack that allows a Reflex save for half damage, a Wind Dancer takes no damage on a successful save.

Wind Talk (Su): A wind dancers master over the element of air allows her to carry her words over distances that should not be normally possible. When using this ability a Wind dancer may create the effects of a message spell. This ability is usable at will with a caster level equal to his wind dancer level.

Cutting Wind (Su): At 1st level, A Wind Dancer can use the wind to attack her enemies by shaping it to a slicing blade of air. As a standard action that does provoke an attack of opportunity, a wind dancer can make a ranged attack against any foe within a number of feet as indicated by the wind dancer table. At 5th level the damage done by this attack and the maximum distance at which this attack can be used increases by 1d6 and 5ft, respectively. 1d6 and 10 ft at 1st level, 2d6 and 15 ft at 5th level, 3d6 and 20 ft at 9th level, and so on. The damage done by this attack is slashing damage. Additionally, at 9th level the number of creatures that can be targeted with this ability increases to 2, and increases further to 3 targets at 17th level. The same target cannot be targeted multiple times with this ability during the same use of this ability. A wind dancer may use this ability a number of times per day equal to her wisdom modifier.

Wind Bubble (Su): Using her mastery over the air, a wind dancer can create a swirling vortex of powerful wind around herself. This protective bubble serves to protect her from projectile attacks. At 2nd level she gains a 10% miss chance for projectile weapons such as bows, cross bows or thrown weapons, but not projectile spells such as fireball or lightning bolt. This miss chance increases to 20% at 6th level, 30% at 10th level, 40% at is 14th level, and 50% at 18th level. The wind dancer may activate or suppress this ability as a free action.

Ride the Winds (Su): At 5th level, a wind dancer gains the ability to fly. The wind dancer’s fly speed is equal to her Wisdom modifier × 10 feet with Good maneuverability. The Wind Dancer may not hustle when traveling overland with this flight ability, nor may she run when traveling locally. If the wind dancer’s wisdom modifier ever drops to +0 or below for whatever reason, then she looses the ability to fly, falling immediately to the ground if she was aloft when her Wisdom modifier dropped to +0.

Wake (Su): A wind dancer in motion can clear paths through the battlefield with nothing but the power of wind. In any turn in which a wind dancer uses his entire round for movement, all creatures adjacent to any square the wind dance moved through must make a DC (10 + 1/2 wind dancer level + wisdom modifier) or be knocked prone. A successful save negates this effect. Using this ability leaves the wind dancer fatigued. A wind dancer cannot use this ability when he is fatigued.

Air Thrust (Su): As a full round action that does not provoke at attack of opportunity, a wind dancer may shoot a burst of air forceful enough to knock people back. In a 60ft line emanating from the wind dancer, all creatures must make a Fort Save (DC = 10 + 1/2 Wind dancer level + Wisdom Modifier.) or be flung back a number of feet equal to 5 x (save DC – the opponents save result) and are knocked prone. If the opponent is stopped before he reaches the distance he would have been pushed, he takes damage equal to 1d6/10ft remaining. Creatures that succeed on their Fortitude saves are not knocked back but are knocked prone. Creatures that larger than the wind dancer get a +4 circumstantial bonus to the save for every category larger than the wind dancer that the creature is. Alternatively, the creature gets a -4 for every category smaller it is.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Improved evasion is like evasion, except that even on a failed saving throw the character takes only half damage.

Maelstrom (Su): By increasing the air drag on herself and spinning rapidly, a wind dancer can create a powerful vortex with enough strength to hamper all within, or even lift them right off the ground. A Wind Dancer may, by spending a Full round action that does provoke an attack of opportunity, create a powerful whirlwind with a radius of (5 x wisdom modifier)ft. the area within this whirlwind is considered difficult terrain. All creatures within this area are subject to a fort save (DC = 10 + wind dancer level + wisdom modifier) or are lifted into the air and are considered slowed. Creatures get a +4 to this check for every size category larger than the wind dancer. Those lifted are considered flat footed and cannot move. They may act normally but must make a concentration check (DC 25 + spell level) in order to cast any spells. Creatures caught inside take a -4 penalty to dexterity as well as a – 2 to all attacks. Creatures who do succeed on this check are not lifted but are still considered slowed. A wind dancer may continue to spend full round actions to maintain this maelstrom until she wishes to stop or she is physically stopped by a successful attack or some outside force. Maintaining or activating this consumes a wind dancers entire turn, she may not take any action in a turn he is maintaining or activating a maelstrom, even if he has an ability that grants him an extra action; Doing so will immediately end the current maelstrom and creating another uses up another daily use of the maelstrom class feature. A maelstrom lasts as long as the wind dancer desires to maintain it, but doing so longer that a number of rounds equal to 2x the wind dancers wisdom modifier will result in the wind dancer becoming fatigued. If maintained for longer than 4x wisdom modifier rounds the wind dancer will become exhausted. When a wind dancer ends a maelstrom (Whether by force or by choice) the maelstrom will continue until the beginning of the wind dancers next turn. The wind dancer is immune the effects of his own maelstrom class ability. A wind dancer may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier.

Zephyr (Ex): At 20th level becomes one with the air itself, her type changes to Elemental and she gains the following elemental traits:
• Dark Vision out to 60 feet
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning
• Does not need not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Lastly, like the wind, a wind dancer is insubstantial and cannot be contained. At 20th level a wind dancer becomes incorporeal; though this ability cannot be used to move through things that are air tight. A wind dancer can suppress and activate this ability as a free action. This ability extends to equipment on the wind dancer's person.

-0-

This is my first attempt at making a class as well as my first time posting on this site. Id really like some feedback, criticisms, and any words any one has to offer.

I see one obvious flaw with the class already, and that is that it doesn't make sense for it to a base class, because as a base class it means that any one can wake up one morning and decide to be a wind dancer; but with the concept I'm working with, its less of a class and more of a race.

If there are any ways of fixing that small problem then I'd like to hear what you think. as of right now, the whole thing seems a little overpowered but that's why I'm bringing it here to seek the advice of some more experienced home brewers.

The Inspiration for this class comes from my obsession with the speedsters and the superhero genre.

Also, if anyone cares, im going to be doing one for each classical greek elements. earth, water, fire, wind...

Lastly, what does P.E.A.C.H. mean and how do I put stuff into a spoiler box?

-0-

Solved some flaws pointed out by Milskidasith, and tried to fix some errors.

Wind Bubble states that is does not protect against projectile spells, this includes rays i believe.

Changed to Full BAB.

Swapped some abilities around. Tell me if im getting farther or closer to from or to a workable solution. changed air thrust from stunned to knocked prone. if thats still not good give me a clue on how to make it better.

...Uhhh....

The main concept of the class isnt to be a damage dealer, its to be a guy who uses wind to move his enemies around. knocked back, knocked prone. just keeping them from maintaining their footing really.

tell me if im even close to accomplishing something like that.

Added the Wake (Su) ability. but im thing of switching it out and trying to work in something that will let the wind dancer shape his air thrust ability.

considering scrapping dynamic strike altogether, doesnt quite mesh with the class or the concept.

onthetown
2009-12-11, 06:59 AM
P.E.A.C.H.: Please Examine and Critique Honestly, or something similar.

To add a spoiler, put the tag [ spoiler] without the space between the bracket and the word, before the text you want to put in it. When you want to end it, type [ /spoiler] without the space.

I like the class. Very creative take on one of the elemental manipulater ideas that fly around. (Get it? Fly? Ha... ha...)

Mulletmanalive
2009-12-11, 09:39 AM
though, if you're going to spoiler, put the whole block in one spoiler. Multi spoilering doesn't help any and gets really frustrating...

As an aside, using , here's the code you'll need for a spoiler: [noparse]Whatever you're putting in a spoiler

I kinda stopped reading after a brief moment [i'll admit this] but there's a conflict in Cutting Wind, where there are two statements about what can be done at 2nd level. The way the table reads makes it seem more like it is somehow based on melee reach...which would be an interesting mechanic, wind making the effective blade length of the sword longer...

Also, the heading for the speed bonus reads Unarmed, while the description talkn about being unarmoured.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-11, 10:03 AM
The capstone is my favorite part. I was initially underwhelmed when I read Zephyr ("Oh, great; you turn into an outsider; whoopee."), but then I saw that they get Freedom of Movement at all times. That is seriously sweet.

Personally, I would scrap the damage reduction in zephyr, though; DR10 doesn't matter that much at 20th level & beyond. I would change it to being constantly incorporeal, but with Ghost Touch. I think that would be more useful at higher levels, & more flavorful, as well.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-11, 10:27 AM
thanks for all the feedback.

In the table I removed the +'s from the cutting wind ability and changed the description to read "a wind dancer can make a ranged attack against any foe" if that helps solve any confusion, let me know.

I originally did consider making that ability extend his melee attacks, but the idea behind the ability is that he is using the wind as a weapon; not improving his weapon with wind. If that makes sense.

-0-

Great idea, Zeta Kai!. I think I'm going to do that. One thing though, if I make him incorpreal then does he still need freedom of movement? and do you think I should change it so that he only gets freedom of movement when exposed to air, it doesn't make sense that he gains his wind powers when
submersed in water or whatever.

Also, he becomes an elemental at 20th, not an outsider.

Edit: I changed the abiltiy to make him incorpreal. I don't think I like how I worded it though so if any one has any improvements I'd love to hear them.

deuxhero
2009-12-18, 09:43 PM
That's a painful first level...

Balance wise, it looks like a Warlock with preset evocations. Would be neat as a prc, but doesn't really look that hot as a base class.

Dynamic strike has to be an error, it's Cutting Wind without an AoO as a full action that has slower damage progression.

Haven
2009-12-19, 12:53 AM
They should really get Cutting Wind at first level--maybe switch that and Evasion.

Milskidasith
2009-12-19, 01:21 AM
First off, since this appears to be a melee class, full BAB is a must. Seriously, why penalize them? Reflex save is borked because it should be +12 at level 20, and D8 hit die on a class like this is, again, weak.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Wind Dancer is proficient with light armor but not shields. They are proficient with all simple and martial light melee weapons as well as all simple and martial ranged weapons. Wind dancers are also proficient with scimitars, rapiers, and falchions.

Reasonable.

Unarmored Speed Bonus: A wind dancer gains an enhancement bonus to his speed as indicated in the speed bonus chart provided that the she is unarmored, is not wielding a shield and isn’t carrying a medium or heavy load.

The bonus should be untyped, because otherwise it wouldn't stack with magic, making the bonus barely more effective than a cheap item (I.E. the soulknife problem).

Evasion (Ex): If subjected to an attack that allows a Reflex save for half damage, a Wind Dancer takes no damage on a successful save.

I'd assume this only works while unarmored.

Wind Talk (Su): A wind dancers master over the element of air allows him to carry his words over distances that should not be normally possible. When using this ability a Wind dancer may create the effects of a message spell. Caster level equal to his wind dancer level.

It should mention that this is at will. Otherwise, this is fine.

Cutting Wind (Su): At 2nd level, A Wind Dancer can use the wind to attack his enemies by shaping it to a slicing blade of air. As a standard action that does provoke an attack of opportunity, a wind dancer can make a ranged attack against any foe within a number of feet as indicated by the wind dancer table. At 2nd level the damage done by this attack and the maximum distance at which this attack can be used increases by 1d6 and 5ft, respectively. 1d6 and 10 ft at 2nd level, 2d6 and 15 ft at 6th level, 3d6 and 20 ft at 10th level, and so on. The damage done by this attack is slashing damage. Additionally, at 10th level the number of creatures that can be targeted with this ability increases to 2, and increases further to 3 targets at 18th level. The same target cannot be targeted multiple times with this ability. A wind dancer may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier.

Wind Bubble (Su): Using his mastery over the air, a wind dancer can create a swirling vortex of powerful wind around himself. This protective bubble serves to protect him from projectile attacks. At 3rd level gains a 10% miss chance for projectile weapons such as bows, cross bows or thrown weapons, but not projectile spells such as fireball or lightning bolt. This miss chance increases to 20% at 7th level, 30% at 11th level, 40% at is 15th level, and 50% at 19th level. The wind dancer may activate or suppress this ability as a free action.

Does this differentiate between magical attacks (like, say, a Ray attack) and basic projectile attacks? While it would be significantly weaker, I just can't see air somehow blocking a weightless ray of pure energy.

Dynamic Strike (Su): by decreasing the air resistance around his weapons and himself a wind dancer can strike with devastating speed and force. As a full round action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity may make a single attack at his highest base attack bonus. This extra damage is 1d8 at 4th level, and increases by 1d8 every 4 wind dancer levels.

This doesn't match the table in damage. Furthermore, the damage dealt sucks. Badly. Even with this classes meh BAB, losing an iterative attack for minimal damage isn't useful.

Ride the Winds (Su): At 10th level, a wind dancer gains the ability to fly. The wind dancer’s fly speed is equal to his Wisdom modifier × 10 feet with Good maneuverability. The Wind Dancer may not hustle when traveling overland with this flight ability, nor may he run when traveling locally. If the wind dancer’s wisdom modifier ever drops to +0 or below for whatever reason, then he looses the ability to fly, falling immediately to the ground if he was aloft when his Wisdom modifier dropped to +0.

Fair enough, though getting the ability to fly later than casters really ruins any benefit this class would have in terms of flight.

Air Thrust (Su): As a full round action that does not provoke at attack of opportunity, a wind dancer may shoot a burst of air forceful enough to knock people back. In a 60ft line emanating from the wind dancer, all creatures must make a Fort Save (DC = 10 + Wind dancer level + Wisdom Modifier.) or be flung back a number of feet equal to 5 x (save DC – the opponents save result.) If the opponent is stopped before he reaches the distance he would have been pushed, he takes damage equal to 1d6/10ft remaining. Creatures that succeed on their Fortitude saves are not knocked back but are stunned for one round. If a creature effected by this attack is braced against a solid object he is immune to the knock back of this ability but is still stunned for one round. Creatures who larger than the wind dancer get a +4 circumstantial bonus to the save for every category larger than the wind dancer the creature is. Alternatively, the creature get a -4 for every category smaller it is.

Saving against this is worse than failing your save. If you fail your save, you're pushed back and take some damage, but are OK, (though how you can be pushed farther than the attack goes is a bit odd), while if you pass your save, you lose an entire round being stunned.

Improved Evasion (Ex): Improved evasion is like evasion, except that even on a failed saving throw the character takes only half damage.

Reasonable.

Maelstrom (Su): By increasing the air drag on himself and spinning rapidly, a wind dancer can create a powerful vortex with enough strength to hamper all within, or even lift them right off the ground. A Wind Dancer may, by spending a Full round action that does provoke an attack of opportunity, create a powerful whirlwind with a radius of (5 x wisdom modifier)ft. the area within this whirlwind is considered difficult terrain. All creatures within this area are subject to a fort save (DC = 10 + wind dancer level + wisdom modifier) or are lifted into the air and are considered slowed. Creatures get a +4 to this check for every size category larger than the wind dancer. Those lifted are considered flat footed and cannot move. They may act normally but must make a concentration check (DC 25 + spell level) in order to cast any spells. Creatures caught inside take a -4 penalty to dexterity as well as a – 2 to all attacks. Creatures who do succeed on this check are not lifted but are considered slowed. A wind dancer may continue to spend full round actions to maintain this maelstrom until he wishes to stop or he is physically stopped by a successful attack or some outside force. Maintaining or activating this consumes a wind dancers entire turn, he may not take any action in a turn he is maintaining or activating a maelstrom, even if he has an ability that grants him an extra action; Doing so will immediately end the current maelstrom and creating another uses up another daily use of the maelstrom class feature. A maelstrom lasts as long as the wind dancer desires to maintain it, but doing so longer that a number of rounds equal to 2x the wind dancers wisdom modifier will result in the wind dancer becoming fatigued. If maintained forlonger than 4x wisdom modifier rounds the wind dancer will become exhausted. When a wind dancer ends a maelstrom (Whether by force or by choice) the maelstrom will continue until the beginning of the wind dancers next turn. Until this time, the wind dancer is considered affected by the maelstrom as if he had succeeded on the fortitude save. A wind dancer may use this ability a number of times per day equal to his wisdom modifier.

The wording implies that the Maelstrom slows you while you are maintaining it, which prevents you from making a full-round action to maintain it. Just make the wind dancer immune to the effects; it's not that powerful.

Zephyr (Ex): At 20th level becomes one with the air itself, his type changes to Elemental and he gains the following elemental traits:
• Darkvision out to 60 feet
• Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning
• Does not need not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Lastly, Like the wind, a windancer is insubstancial and cannot be contained. At 20th level a wind dancer becomes incorpreal; though this ability cannot be used to move through things that are air tight. A wind dancer can suppress and activate this ability as a free action. This ability extends to equipment on the wind dancer's person.

Useful.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-19, 04:53 AM
wow, that was incredibly insightful. time for an overhaul...

Zexion
2009-12-19, 02:29 PM
You could take some ideas from the Airbender class that was finished a while ago.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-31, 06:54 AM
removed the useless dynamic strike stuff, couldn't do anything with it.

added an unarmored ac bonus, identical to the monk progression. fixed an error with the Save DC's for class abilities, used to use entire class level instead of 1/2. except for maelstrom which is supposed to be that way.