PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e/Pathfinder Monster: Tonberry

magic_unlocked
2009-12-11, 05:24 AM
So... I thought i'd give a hand in making a vile monster from the various Final Fantasy games. I'm sure its been done before, but I did not want to go through the archives and find it, ya know?

So here it is, the Tonberry. I'd like constructive critiquing and all that jazz.

Tonberry
Small Outsider [Aberrant, Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar]
Hit Dice: 20d8 +300 +20 (420)
Initiative: +4 (+0 DEX, +4 improved initiative)
Speed: 15ft
Armor Class: 37 (+1 size, +1 dodge, +10 unearthly grace, +5 insight, +10 natural, +10 Base)
Touch/FF AC: 27/36
Base Attack/Grapple: +20/+24
Attack: Chef’s Knife (+30 melee 1d6 +4, +2d6 unholy, 17-20/x3)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Chef’s Knife, Everyone’s Grudge, Light of Penance, Words of Bane, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Aberrant Armor, dark vision (300ft), dimensional vagary, Immunity to death spells and death effects, Holy Vulnerability, Insight, Negative Energy Resistance 20, Spell Resistance 28, True Seeing (300ft), unearthly grace.
Saves: fort +37 / ref +22 / will +27
Abilities: STR 16, DEX 10, CON 40, INT 23, WIS 20, CHA 30
Skills: Pending
Feats: Diehard, Dieharder*, Die With a Vengeance*, Dodge, (B), Endurance (B), Improved Initiative, Improved Critical (Chef’s Knife), Improved Toughness (B), Quicken Spell-Like ability (vampiric touch), Weapon Focus (Chef’s Knife)
Environment: Any Underground
Organization: Solitary or troupe (1+2d4)
Challenge Rating: 19-21
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Treasure: Lantern of Unnatural Madness, Chief’s Knife
*Denotes homebrew feats. The combination of these two feats allows the Tonberry to die at -20 HP rather than at -10.

Fluff and Description: Pending

Special Attacks:

Chef’s Knife (Su): All Tonberries wield a corrupted sword called a Chef’s Knife. This knife ignores five points armor, regardless if it is natural or not. When a living creature is damaged by this weapon, it must make a fortitude save, DC 30, or die instantly. This death-effect functions only for creatures that have the taint of an aberration in their bloodline and for any aberration. This weapon is otherwise identical to a +1 unholy small short sword that has an augmented critical multiplier.

Everyone’s Grudge (Su): Whenever a Tonberry is attacked, by any source; the Lantern it wields automatically strikes back with a blast of corrupted, unnatural magic. The attacker automatically receives damage equal to its current level or Hit Dice (whichever is greater) multiplied by 1d4. A will save, DC 30, halves this damage.

This item is only made by Tonberries. The lantern is lit by a deep purple-black flame that illuminates, for the wielder only, in a 60ft radius as though it were bright daylight. Any non-aberrant creature that wields the Lantern must make a will save, DC 30, be forced to look into the mesmerizing flames. For looking at the mysterious flames, one sees strange beings, shapes and entities. Any character that looks at the Lantern’s flames must make another will save, DC 30, or be rendered permanently insane. By viewing these strange visions, a character gains 5 ranks in Knowledge (Forbidden Lore). As an additional effect, you can sense any Lantern within 100ft. A concentration check, DC 25, reveals the exact location.

It takes potent Arcane and Divine magic to rid the insanity effect and arcane users must make a Caster Level check, DC 28, or the spell is wasted to no effect. The only spells known to remove this affliction are Miracle and Wish. Lesser magics, such as break enchantment, limited wish, and remove curse, only remove the insanity effect temporarily for a number of days equal to the caster’s caster level. The wielder of this item is given the benefit of having Everyone’s Grudge as a special ability. Characters with aberration taint flowing through their veins, as well as other aberrations, are immune to the insanity effect.

Light of Penance (Su): This gaze attack uses the inherent rage and rancor suffused in all Tonberries. The target is afflicted with the slow spell for 20 rounds and takes 5d4 points of damage to a character’s MP pool. This damage is reduced form the character’s current highest MP pool value, should the target have multiple MP pools. This damage is also applied against a psionic character’s PP pool as well. Should a character not have MP or PP, she instead takes twice the indicated damage as non-lethal damage. A will save, DC 30, negates the slow effect and halves the MP/PP damage.
Note: If you include this monster in a game without Mana Points or Spell Points, the damage inflicted is 2d4 spell levels.

Words of Bane (Su): By speaking forbidden words and using vulgar gestures, a Tonberry can place a temporary greater curse effect on a single target within 30 feet. A will save, DC 28, negates this effect. The curse remains in effect for 20 rounds.

Spell-like abilities (Sp): At-Will— ranged (125ft) vampiric touch, 3/day— haste, 1/day— harm (Fort DC 26). Caster Level: 20.

Special Qualities:

Aberrant Armor (Ex): Any non-aberrant source that deals any form of damage to a Tonberry is automatically halved. Any other effects, such as a failed disintegration save, still apply.

Dimensional Vagary (Su): A Tonberry is always a certain distance away from any given character. The Tonberry chooses the strongest target and hones in on her. A Tonberry that selects the character of its choosing, a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, is automatically 50ft away. This distance closes by 10ft every round regardless of where the chosen character is or has moved. This effect allows the Tonberry to stand on air as though it were firm ground. This effect functions even if the selected target moves to another plane. The Tonberry can dismiss this effect as a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Holy Vulnerability (Ex): Tonberries take half-again (50% more) damage from offensive divine spells that do not deal negative energy damage and have the good descriptor.

Insight (Ex): The unnatural nature of a Tonberry allows it to see multiple time streams at once, to a very minor, limited effect. It gains its wisdom modifier as a bonus to AC and to attack rolls. This bonus is in effect even it is bound or helpless and looses this bonus if it becomes dazed, stunned or unconscious.

True Seeing (Su): A Tonberry is under a constant true seeing effect, as per the spell, true seeing; caster level 20; with the distance of 300ft.

Unearthly Grace (Ex): Tonberries constantly receive their charisma bonus to AC as a deflection bonus, and their charisma bonus to saving throws.

Edit 1.1: Listed suggested CR range, fixed any typos.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-11, 06:24 AM
Very nice. You've got a pretty tough monster right there. I'd say the CR should be in the 19-21 range, which is pretty scary.

For the record, below are the Tonberries from the FFX-d20 project for comparison. From what I see here, your version is much more optimized.

Tonberry
Master Tonberry
Don Tonberry

magic_unlocked
2009-12-11, 02:11 PM
Neat. I looked over your tonberries and they are awesome as well. As another note, That was the CR I was aiming for and I'm glad that I hit it so well.

Though, I do have a question, isn't there a "King Tonberry"? I think there's only one, well, it may have been "native" to FF VIII. *shrug* Should I include other treasure? I think that it would only have coins...