PDA

View Full Version : Need Balanced Feats and Spells for Fire-based spellcaster.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-11, 08:54 AM
One of my players is wanting a Sorcerer whose spells are almost completely focused around fire in some way. I pointed out such feats as Bloodline of Fire, Elemental Spell Focus, Blistering Spell, and Searing Spell. As for spells, he loves the Cauterize and Ignite cantrips that I created a while back (see below) and we house-ruled an arcane version of Produce Flame. He really would like to get some unique fire-based spells that deal damage or are utilitarian. I would normally undertake to create new spells and feats for this, but I've become increasingly busy at work and my free time has suffered greatly. Any ideas would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks.

Cauterize
Necromancy [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a touch of your hand there is a bright flash of light and a wave of heat that seals the target’s wounds closed.

With a touch, you cause a dying creature to become stabilized in the most painful way imaginable as you simultaneously sterilize and sear its wounds closed. This deals no damage, but causes severe pain in the victim that grants a – 2 penalty to all actions taken by that creature for 1d3 rounds.

Ignite
Conjuration [Fire]
Level: Duskblade 0, Sorcerer/wizard 0
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Target: One creature or object.
Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see description)
Spell Resistance: No

Your outstretched finger glows bright red and radiates heat like an ember, enabling you to set objects alight.

Make a melee touch attack that deals 1d3 points of fire damage and causes flammable objects (i.e. cloth, fur, oil, paper, wood, etc.) to ignite. A held object touched is allowed a Reflex save (DC = spell save (10 + spellcasting modifier)) to avoid catching fire. If the object catches fire, it is subject to the rules for catching fire in the DMG.

sdream
2009-12-11, 09:37 AM
Burning Hand - Level 1
Swift action

For one round per level one of your hands bursts into intense flame. You may make melee touch attacks for 1d4+level fire damage, or add that damage to unarmed or dagger blows. The fire is harmless to your hand, but may ignite long sleeves or any of your gear or allies it contacts.

sdream
2009-12-11, 09:49 AM
I don't recall if it was a real spell or a joke modification one of my friends made, but

Flamejet - level 3
You gain a flight speed of 10'/level for one round/level, and anyone adjacent must make a reflex save to negate being knocked prone and taking d6 fire damage /2 levels. Non-prone enemies might still get attacks of opportunity on you when you leave the square, and if you are elevated at the end of the spell you fall.

sdream
2009-12-11, 09:57 AM
Bonfire - level 1
Casting time - 1 full round.
For 12 hours a large blaze hovers a couple feet off the ground, burning without fuel. It radiates warmth and light in the same radius and is as difficult to extinguish as a large bonfire. It may be used to cook and burn items, but only the incredibly unwary could burn themselves in it.

sdream
2009-12-11, 10:12 AM
Firebars - level 2
Duration - minute/level

You may create 10' square per level of bars of fire. The bars glow with dim flames and have a rubbery tenacity. Cutting them has no effect although they may be burst through with a strength or escape artist check (at spell DC). Also anyone adjacent to the bars when they go up may make a reflex save to jump to the other side as they form. You may shape the bars into walls, cages, ladders, ramps or bridges, but they can only support up to spellDC*10 pounds and cause d6 fire damage /2 levels to anyone who comes into contact with them (such as by attempting to pass through). Creatures less than small size can pass through them without hindrence or damage (although animals will usually avoid them). The barrier created must be contiguous, and cannot be bent at greater than a 90 degree angle or stacked closer than 5'.

sdream
2009-12-11, 10:16 AM
Make sure your players pick up items/spells of fire resistance/immunity. They are probably going to come in handy.

onthetown
2009-12-11, 10:21 AM
My boyfriend is thinking of doing this in an upcoming campaign (to complement my ice mage). I let him borrow Sandstorm, since I'm using Frostburn. It took a bit of searching, but I was able to download Frostburn off of the internet (since I lost my copy), so I'm betting you could find a free download PDF of Sandstorm and give it to your player.

Other than that, I guess Spell Compendium and Complete Arcane would probably have some pyro stuff. There's a lot of fire-based spells lying around.

I recall seeing a fire dancing sort of class around the Playground awhile ago, and I think it had some interesting fire-based feats?

Lysander
2009-12-11, 10:33 AM
Here's a pretty useful feat:

Friendly Fire [metamagic]
You can modify your fire spells to only deal fire damage to those you choose, sparing any allies or noncombatants in their area of effect. This protection does not extend to non-magical fires merely started by your spells. A friendly fire spell uses a spell slot two slots higher than normal.

Narmy
2009-12-11, 05:59 PM
I'm definitely subscribing to this and coming back to gather some information.

I would have to agree with the one previous poster. The Spell Compendium, and the Complete Arcane are both GREAT books for the purpose your desire.

I actually created a spell similar to Ignite, though I like yours better. Mine didn't set things on fire, lol.

Though, I think perhaps that being able to do 1d3 damage, PLUS set things on fire with it, might be a tad bit powerful for a cantrip.

Especially when comparing that it should be roughly the same except, a different name and elemental damage than. Acid Splash, or Ray of Frost or whatever it's called.

Narmy
2009-12-12, 02:41 PM
Here you are, I found one in my collection.

Burning Spell (Metamagic)
Your spells gain the ability to ignite your foes.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast spells with the [Fire] descriptor
Benefit: When casting a spell with the [Fire] descriptor that deals hit point damage, your targets must make a Reflex save (DC equal to the spell's DC) or catch on fire (dealing 1d6 damage per round until the flames are extinguished). The spell must successfully deal damage in order to have this effect. A Burning Spell uses up a spell slot one level higher than the spell's actual level.
Normal: Most [Fire] damage spells deal instantaneous fire damage that does not threaten to ignite the target.

Lysander
2009-12-12, 02:55 PM
This might be a useful spell if he's setting fires everywhere:

Freeze Flame
Abjuration [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Range: 20 ft/level radius
Duration: 1 minute/level (D)
Saving Throw: No

All non-magical fire (whether originally started by magic or not) in the spell's area is frozen in time. It clings to whatever it is burning but does not consume it further, does not spread, and does not emit heat or deal damage. While frozen the fire can still be extinguished by normal methods such as wind, water, and smothering.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-14, 08:27 AM
Thanks everyone. So far this is turning out great. I appreciate pointing out using the Complete Arcane and Spell Compendium, I already suggested those books as sources for my player and while he liked some of the fire spells in those books, he wanted more.

Bonfire (by sdream) and Freeze Flame (by Lysander) look to be great spells. I think my player will also really like the Burning Spell metamagic feat (by Narmy). Great job to each of you.

Riyoukaze, Thanks for suggesting Sandstorm. There were a few spells and feats in that book that were really helpful.

Narmy, As for my ignite cantrip, I agree that at first glance it may seem a tad overpowered for a 0th level spell. Also consider that it requires a melee touch attack to hit the target, and that getting into melee range to use the spell would not be the wisest of moves for a low-level spellcaster.

To sum up, thanks and keep the ideas flowing.

Narmy
2009-12-14, 09:15 AM
MY BAD. I didn't notice that it said melee touch, I was reading cauterize. Therefore the below text is pointless. aside from the ranged touch attack version which I mentioned below after my pointless talk.

You REALLY need to list that in your feat then. As of right now, it says plain out touch.

It doesn't specify melee or range, and as such. I assumed a ranged touch attack. Which is the same as all the other 0 level 1d3 damage spells.

If you want a RANGED touch attack version.

Take Acid Splash, rename it to Ember Swarm, and the damage to fire instead of acid.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-16, 08:26 AM
Narmy,

Thanks for the idea of a ranged touch attack fire cantrip. My player even likes your spell's name Ember Swarm.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 09:51 AM
Arcane version of fire seeds or whatever.

Also, a few of the 3.0 metacreativity powers for psionics dealt fire damage at low levels, let me try to translate them over the next few days.

Flaming shroud
Conjuration (creation) [fire]
Level: wizard 6
Casting time: 1 action
Range: medium (100ft/=10ft/level)
Target: one creature of large size or smaller
Duration: instantaneous
Saving throw: reflex negates
Spell resistance: yes
You encase the target in a shroud of hellish fire. If the target fails their reflex save the take 1d6 damage per level (max damage 20d6).

Lysander
2009-12-16, 10:36 AM
Melt
Transmutation 1 [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz
Components: V, S, M
Target: Creature or object touched
Duration: Concentration

Melt deals a slowly increasing amount of fire damage to anything you touch. On the first round it deals 1 point of damage, on the second it deals 2, on the third 3, and so on until it reaches a maximum damage per round equal to ten times your caster level which you can maintain indefinitely. If your contact with the target is broken the spell ends, making it hard to use Melt on creatures that are not immobilized.

dangerprawn
2009-12-16, 12:32 PM
Take these two feats:
Spell Thematics: Fire
Energy Substitution: Fire

Now his energy spells do fire damage, and his utility spells look like fire.

Mage Hand is a burning hand. Mage Armor is armor made of translucent flame. Shield is a hovering circle of fire. Expeditious Retreat leaves a brief, harmless trail of fire footprints.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-16, 12:58 PM
AnonymousWizard,

Thanks for the suggestion and the spell. Looks good so far. Looking forward to seeing the metacreativity powers translated.

Lysander,

I like the concept and it is a cool idea, but I'm not sure about the balance.

Dangerprawn,

Interesting feat ideas. I'll have to take a closer look at Spell Thematics feat. I think I have always overlooked it.

Milskidasith
2009-12-16, 01:05 PM
Flaming shroud is horribly underpowered (reflex negates and average damage with no side effect to a single target at sixth level is bad). Melt is very OP when you consider that you can destroy practically any object with it, but that's utility, not combat.

dangerprawn
2009-12-16, 01:12 PM
Dangerprawn,

Interesting feat ideas. I'll have to take a closer look at Spell Thematics feat. I think I have always overlooked it.

I think with just those two feats you can do a lot. Spell Thematics is pretty much just limited by your imagination, and Energy Substitution lets him have things like a Cone of Fire (cone of cold), Melf's Fire Arrow, Firebolt (lightning bolt), Fire storm (ice storm), Fire Fog (acid fog), Otiluk's Fiery Sphere, etc.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 01:24 PM
Melt
Transmutation 1 [Fire]

Melt deals a slowly increasing amount of fire damage to anything you touch. On the first round it deals 1 point of damage, on the second it deals 2, on the third 3, and so on until it reaches a maximum damage per round equal to ten times your caster level which you can maintain indefinitely. If your contact with the target is broken the spell ends, making it hard to use Melt on creatures that are not immobilized.

Ummm... their is a better balanced Wu Jen spell under this name.

Lysander
2009-12-16, 01:44 PM
How about this then:

Burning Grasp
Transmutation 1 [Fire]
Casting Time: 1 minute

Your touch deals 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 5d6) each round. The spell ends if you break contact with the target. Its long casting time makes Burning Grasp impractical for use it combat. Burning Grasp can heat, melt, or ignite objects depending on the material. The hand you use to touch the object is immune to fire damage for the duration of the spell.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-17, 08:47 AM
Lysander,

Not bad. I would make the following changes personally, but it isn't bad as written.

Burning Grasp
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Drd1, Sor1/Wiz1
Saving Throw: Will partial

With a touch you raise the temperature of the creature or object touched causing it to take 1d10 points of fire damage +1 per 2 caster levels (maximum +10). For each round that you maintain contact with the creature or object it continues to take the damage. Creatures and held objects are allowed a Will save each round to reduce the damage by half.

With these changes the spell can still be used in combat, although it isn't really made for that purpose and there are better 1st level combat spells out there, but it does grant it a little more versatility making it more worthwile to learn/prepare this spell. Just my 2cp worth

Lysander
2009-12-17, 10:11 AM
That looks like a good fix!

Another spell idea:

Inner Spark
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Target: You
Duration: 10 min/level
Saving Throw: See text

The caster can emit a tiny flame from a finger at will. Turning this fire on or off or switching it to another finger is a swift action. This flame is identical to that of a burning candle and can be used for illumination or to start other fires.

Narmy
2009-12-17, 10:31 AM
Just use Ember swarm >.>

Works exceptionally well if you go with unlimited cantrips within reason.

In fact... give me a second.

Ember Swarm
School conjuration (creation) [fire]; Level sorcerer/wizard 0
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect one missile of fire
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw none; Spell Resistance no

You fire a small orb of fire at the target. You must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit your target. The orb deals 1d3 points of fire damage. This fire disappears after 1 round.

Alternately you can use this spell to conjure up small embers that fly within 5 ft. of you. They provide illumination equal to that of a candle and the spell lasts for 10 minutes/level. This alternative cannot be used as an attack.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-17, 12:20 PM
Inner Spark and Ember Swarm both look like keepers.

So far this is a good start as a resource for the Pyro-based spellcaster. Keep the ideas coming.

Lysander
2009-12-17, 01:54 PM
Here are some more spells:

Flame Weapon
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Target: Weapon touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)

Flame Weapon gives a weapon a +1 enhancement bonus on attack rolls and causes it to deal one bonus points of fire damage. Alternatively you can give it a +1 enhancement bonus and cause one third (rounded down) of the weapon's normal damage to be dealt as fire damage instead of its normal type. The weapon glows as bright as a torch for the duration of the spell.

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang). A monk’s unarmed strike is considered a weapon, and thus it can be enhanced by this spell.

Fireproof
Transmutation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Target: Object touched
Effect: Fireproof
Duration: Permanent

You grant an object Damage Reduction 5 to fire damage. Armor enchanted this way does not provide more protection.

Material Component

You sprinkle ruby dust (worth 5 gp/lb of material affected) on the target item.

Narmy
2009-12-17, 03:57 PM
Doesn't flame weapon, or flame blade already exist as a spell?

If it's flame blade, than flame weapon I can understand. Think that I might use that one.

Also, in the case of Elemental resistances. I.E. Fire, it's Resistance, not DR.

Common mistake, as both are essentially the same thing, and as to why we use two different terms.. I'm not sure.

I think that a flame weapon would/should be able to cast on a natural weapon, perhaps at a higher level to show mastery over the elements so as to function that.

They harm the enemy, and not yourself.

Lysander
2009-12-17, 04:20 PM
Doesn't flame weapon, or flame blade already exist as a spell?

If it's flame blade, than flame weapon I can understand. Think that I might use that one.

Also, in the case of Elemental resistances. I.E. Fire, it's Resistance, not DR.

Common mistake, as both are essentially the same thing, and as to why we use two different terms.. I'm not sure.

I think that a flame weapon would/should be able to cast on a natural weapon, perhaps at a higher level to show mastery over the elements so as to function that.

They harm the enemy, and not yourself.

Whoops, my mistake. I guess it's just for purposes of filing. One is protection against everything with some exceptions, another is protection against one thing, so they accomplish the same thing but work differently. I'll change it.

And another spell:

Unburn
Transformation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One object or creature
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You undo up to 5d4hp of fire damage that was inflicted within a single round. The Unburn spell is powerful enough to turn ash back into a fully intact object. Unburn can heal living creatures, but can only repair corpses killed by fire and not restore them to life. Attempting to repair a burnt object from only a portion of the ash will result in an incomplete object.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-18, 08:19 AM
Lysander,

Unburn is a very interesting spell. Basically it reverses fire damage to creatures or objects. It is sort of a healing spell, but it isn't at the same time. I like it, but I'm not sure about balance. I'll have to give this one a think.

lightningcat
2009-12-18, 08:35 PM
Here's a pyomantic spell I made.

Blazing Strike
Evocation [Fire]
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Your hand ignites in white hot flames that quickly spread to your target.
Your successful melee touch attack deals 1d8 points of fire damage caster level (max 15d8) + 1 point of fire damage per caster level (max +25).

Revan Ordo
2010-01-06, 09:19 AM
Lightning Cat,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply back on your spell. I like the direction you are going with this spell, but it is a bit unbalanced in my opinion due to the extra damage you are dealing in comparison with other 3rd level spells. With a couple of tweaks it could be much better and more balanced. If I'm not mistaken the average 3rd level spell has a maximum damage die cap of 10, so maybe change it to that. As for the +1 damage per caster level, that looks okay as is, maybe it should have a cap of +20 maximum, not sure though. As for the damage die it should probably be d6 instead of d8. Also since it requires a melee touch attack to hit the target, you might want to remove the Reflex save.

Changes I would make before comparing to similar spells:

Have it deal 5d6 damage + 1/ 2 caster levels (max +10 at 20th).
Give it a duration of 1 round / 2 caster levels granting more uses of the touch attack. Nix the Reflex save.

Just my 2cp worth.

Latronis
2010-01-06, 09:52 AM
Hmm

why not cap it at 10 dice, remove the bonus damage and add an ignite effect.

Target must make a reflex save or catch on fire, taking 2d6 points of fire damage per round until it takes a full-round action to extinguish the flames or the duration expires. The fire damage persists for 1 round per three? caster levels.

At touch range the higher than standard die size is fine IMO, taking too many dice becomes a bit extreme though especially with extra damage on top. And in my opinion there's not enough catching fire effects with fire spells

Lysander
2010-01-06, 10:05 AM
Are you still looking for fire spells? I thought of another potentially useful one:

Controlled Demolition
Evocation [Fire]
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 2 + 1 round/2 caster levels
Saving Throw: Reflex half

You prepare to unleash a series of blasts on an area. Controlled Demolition is cast on the point in space the spell's spreads emits from. After a two round delay on the third round after it is cast an explosion identical to a Fireball spell's blast blossoms from that point, and this repeats each round until the spell ends. Creatures trying to move through the area on any round a spread is emitted may make a reflex save to avoid damage, just as with fireball.

Material Component
A tiny ball of bat guano and sulfur.

Revan Ordo
2010-01-06, 01:06 PM
Latronis,

Good idea for changes to Blazing Strike. I also happen to agree with you about there not being enough catching fire effects with fire spells. Which is why my pyro player created the metamagic feat below:

Burning Spell [Metamagic]

Fire spells you cast cause creatures and objects affected to catch on fire.

Prerequisites: Any one metamagic feat, ability to cast spells with the fire descriptor.

Benefits: Spells you cast with the fire descriptor that deal damage cause the target to catch on fire if they fail a Reflex save causing the creature or object to take 1d6 points of fire damage each round until a full-round action is taken to extinguish the flames or they are completely doused with water. Spells with the fire descriptor that already cause the target to catch on fire deal an additional +1d6 points of fire damage each round. Burning spells take up a spell slot 1 level higher than the spell's actual level.

Lysander,

I like your Controlled Demolition spell. I ran the idea by my pyro player and he wants to learn the spell, but wants a few tweaks. When we finish the tweaks I'll post what we came up with.

Also I have recently created another metamagic feat to be used with spells that have the fire descriptor. Although I"m not certain it is balanced. I would like some input to balance / improve it.

Incinerating Spell

Fire spells you cast leave your foes a smoking pile of ash.

Prerequisites: Burning Spell Metamagic Feat, Able to cast 5th level spells one of which must have the Fire Descriptor.

Benefits: Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by an incinerating spell is entirely destroyed as if it had been disintegrated, leaving behind only a pile of smoking ash. An incinerating spell uses up a spell slot 2 levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Again, thanks everyone for your creativity and help in coming up with these great additional fire spells. I'm also interested in good balanced feats (metamagic or otherwise) for fire-based spellcasters.

Lysander
2010-01-06, 01:49 PM
Incinerating Spell looks pretty good. Perhaps it should allow a fortitude save against disintegration, success only means an additional 2d6 fire damage (which could still prove fatal)?

How about these feat:

Cutting Flame [Metamagic]

Benefit: Spells you cast with the fire descriptor that deal damage gain partially solid flames, forming briefly tangible sharp edges and points. Half of all fire damage the spell would normally deal also counts as slashing damage. In addition the spell also deals 1d4 extra slashing damage. Cutting Flame spells require a spell slot one higher than normal.

Improved Cutting Flame

Prerequisite: Cutting Flame

Benefit: Cutting Flame spells you cast are improved so that all fire damage they deal counts as both fire and slashing damage. The bonus 1d4 slashing damage also counts as fire damage.

Milskidasith
2010-01-06, 02:24 PM
Uhh... so for +2 spell levels you get an effect that you could replicate by just pulverising the body after the fight, if you were that concerned about the enemy getting rezzed.

Doesn't seem worth the feat slot at +0, quite honestly, let alone +2.

Cutting flame: 1d4 extra damage is really, really not worth a higher level spell slot, nor is getting resisted by any DR/material. Improved cutting just means it's resisted by both fire and cutting resistance for all the damage, if I remember right, but I don't recall the rules on having two types of damage at once very well.

Lysander
2010-01-06, 02:36 PM
Hmm. How about this instead:

Cutting Flame [Metamagic]

Benefit: Spells you cast with the fire descriptor that deal damage gain partially solid flames, forming briefly tangible sharp edges and points. For the purposes of bypassing damage reduction or energy resistance any fire damage those spells deal can be counted as fire or slashing damage, whichever is more beneficial. This can harm creatures resistant or immune to fire. A cutting flame spell also deals 1d6 additional force damage from the magic used to shape the flame. Cutting Flame spells require a spell slot one higher than normal.

I also came up with another spell:

Fire House
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, F
Effect: 20-ft.-radius sphere centered on self
Duration: 2 hours/level (D)

You create a fixed sphere of transparent crackling flames that casts dim illumination out to 60 feet from its perimeter. Typically half the sphere lies above ground and half below. Anything in the sphere's area when the spell is cast takes no harm from the flames. Those objects, creatures, and the caster can exit the sphere and return and still suffer no injury. To them the temperature inside the sphere is 70° F if the exterior temperature is between 0° and 100° F. An exterior temperature below 0° or above 100° lowers or raises the interior temperature on a 1-degree-for-1 basis.

Anything that was not in the sphere when the spell was cast suffers immediate fire damage upon entering, taking 1d6 damage per round. The fire however does not set things alight. The sphere does not provide any other protection, but rainwater that enters will quickly evaporate off objects within. Most predators are unwilling to approach those within and suffer the flames.

Focus
A red marble

Lapak
2010-01-06, 03:00 PM
The new version is much more worthwhile, Lysander. Make the [Force] descriptor explicit, so it affects incorporeals, and it definitely seems worthwhile.

I agree that Incinerating isn't worth one level, let alone two. How often do PCs NEED to utterly destroy their opposition? I'd either make it deal non-negligible additional damage and put it at +1 spell level, or I'd say it destroys all non-magic gear or treasure on the target in the process and make it +0.

Lysander
2010-01-06, 03:59 PM
One way to improve incinerating spell is if it kicks in at 10hp above whatever point a creature would be destroyed. So for a living creature that's 0. For undead or constructs that would be at 10hp. For many types of creatures an incinerating spell would effectively act as if their overall hp was 10 less. That could be worthwhile.

Latronis
2010-01-06, 08:59 PM
Why not just make it a feat that automatically applies to any [Fire] spell you cast instead of metamagic(with no adjustment).

It's only for one descriptor uses up a feat and is the most commonly resisted damage type as it is. So the no save death\bodily destruction isn't a huge deal if the spell has to reduce the hp to 0 or less anyway.

Also...

Stop, Drop and Roll
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1, Fire 1
Components: V, M
Range: Close
Target: One creature
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: None or Will Negates (See Text)

you utter a quick phrase which instantly causes one creature of your choice to believe they have become shrouded in flames, whether the creature can hear you or not. A creature that fails it's will save will immediately drop to the ground ignoring all other threats and roll around for 1 round attempting to put out the imaginary flames. The creature is considered prone for the duration.

If the spell is used on a creature that actually is on fire there is no saving throw, though the actions of the creature will generally douse the flames.

material component: A sprinkling of ash from a cremated corpse

Merk
2010-01-06, 09:26 PM
Spirit-Speaking Flame
Divination [Fire]
Level: Druid 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Target: One mundane burning flame
Duration: 1 minute / level (D)

You summon a local spirit into a burning flame. The spirit is bound to the flame for the duration of the spell as long as the flame is still burning. You are able to communicate with it and ask it questions (although it is under no specific compulsion to answer your question or answer it correctly). You may dismiss the spirit from the flame simply by extinguishing it, or if the spell effect ends.

Purifying Flame
Transmutation [Fire, Good]
Level: Cleric 1
Target: One mundane burning flame
Spell Resistance: Yes (See Text)

You imbue one mundane burning flame with the properties of holy water. If this flame touches any undead or evil outsider, the target(s) take an additional 2d6 holy damage. Targets with spell resistance may resist this effect. Once the flame is extinguished, it loses this quality.

Mage's Ignition
Conjuration [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Range: Medium
Target: 60 ft. emanation
Duration: 1 round / level

Casting this spell creates a magical gas that reacts with and empowers magical fire. Any spell effect with the [Fire] descriptor and dealing fire damage to one or more targets within the spell effect gains the following benefits:

+1 Caster Level
Deals bonus +1d6/spell level fire damage
Quickened

Revan Ordo
2010-01-07, 08:33 AM
Thanks everyone for keeping this thread alive with some really great contributions.

I particularly liked the second version of the Cutting Flame Metamagic Feat; Stop, Drop and Roll; Spirit Speaking Flame; Purifying Flame, and Mage's Ignition. All of these look really good. Some great ideas overall.

Also after reading your suggestions I have agreed to make the following changes to the Incinerating Spell metamagic feat:

Incinerating Spell

Fire spells you cast leave your foes a smoking pile of ash.

Prerequisites: Burning Spell Metamagic Feat, Fiery Spell Metamagic Feat, Able to cast 3rd level spells one of which must have the Fire Descriptor.

Benefits: Incinerating spells deal 1 extra point of fire damage for each die of damage the spell deals (This stacks with the extra damage from the Fiery spell metamagic feat). Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by an incinerating spell you cast is entirely destroyed along with all of its non-magical gear as if disintegrated, leaving behind only a pile of smoking ash. An incinerating spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Latronis
2010-01-07, 09:18 AM
Just a small thing but feats usually have a caster level as a prerequisite instead of a certain level of spell casting.

Lysander
2010-01-07, 09:34 AM
Here's another feat that might be useful:

Center Of The Inferno

Benefit: Whenever you would take fire damage from a spell that you cast with the fire descriptor, perform each required fire damage die roll twice. Deduct the result of the second die from the first die to determine how much damage you actually take. Count any negative numbers as zero. Whatever damage remains is then subject to any energy resistance, damage reduction, and other protections from harm. Center of the Inferno provides no protection against non-magical fire started by spells you cast.

Revan Ordo
2010-01-07, 10:23 AM
Latronis,

This feat does have a caster level requirement, it just isn't stated directly, it is implied (i.e. In order to cast a 3rd level spell you would need to have at least 5 caster levels (if a Cleric or Wizard)).