PDA

View Full Version : Was the Sesame Street Reference Intentional?

FoE
2009-12-12, 12:56 AM
I was reflecting on the Start of Darkness when I finally got a (possibly unintentional) joke that I had missed all along, namely, the MitD's appearance on the very last page of SoD. (ZOMG SPOILERS LOL!)

Anyways, I thought the joke on the last page was the MitD questioning why the cover of SoD didn't match the events of the book. But then I finally realized that it could have been a tongue-in-cheek reference to The Monster at the End of This Book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_at_the_End_of_This_Book:_Starring_Lova ble,_Furry_Old_Grover), which I loved was a little kid. (I would cackle evilly as Grover approached his inevitable doom.)

So I was wondering: was this intentional? Or am I reading too much into this?

The MunchKING
2009-12-12, 01:11 AM
Probably reading too much into it, but it's a cool coincidence.

(I had the same book...)

HotAndCold
2009-12-12, 01:17 AM
Well, there certainly is a monster at the end of the book (and several within it), but I kind of doubt it was an intentional reference. Bit much of a stretch for my tastes.

(I adored that book, though.)

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-12, 01:35 AM
Well, there certainly is a monster at the end of the book (and several within it), but I kind of doubt it was an intentional reference. Bit much of a stretch for my tastes.

(I adored that book, though.)

Agreed. Particularly because there is a monster at the end of every book.

FoE
2009-12-12, 01:41 AM
Agreed. Particularly because there is a monster at the end of every book.

:thog: Thog not monster. Thog sad that you said that.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-12, 01:47 AM
:thog: Thog not monster. Thog sad that you said that.

I said at the END of the book. Although I am calling V, Elan, Miko, MitD, Roy and belkar monsters. They are in the monster manual right?

FoE
2009-12-12, 01:50 AM
I said at the END of the book.

:thog: Thog was at end of Origin of PCs. Thog feel so unloved.

Although I am calling V, Elan, Miko, MitD, Roy and belkar monsters. They are in the monster manual right?

:vaarsuvius: We are all in the Monster Manual somewhere, are we not?

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-12, 01:55 AM
:thog: Thog was at end of Origin of PCs. Thog sad that you not remember him, and now Thog will go cry into ice cream sundae.

You mean you never read past page 26, where thog is? You only read the first half of the book? I recommend reading the rest of the book to the end, where V is.
Edit: Either that or we have different editions.

SaintRidley
2009-12-12, 02:05 AM
:vaarsuvius: We are all in the Monster Manual somewhere, are we not?

Speak for yourself, pointy. Some of us...

:elan: :roy: :nale: :miko: :haley:

aren't.

Even though one of those might belong. I think we all know which.

FoE
2009-12-12, 02:07 AM
Edit: Either that or we have different editions.

Perhaps I'm mistaken. I seem to remember that Thog is in Origin of PCs and says "Thog not in this book. Thog sad." But I forget where.

Speak for yourself, pointy. Some of us aren't.

But Humans are in the 4E MM and MM2, so ... TAKE THAT, YA FILTHY HOOMANS!

The Extinguisher
2009-12-12, 02:12 AM
Perhaps I'm mistaken. I seem to remember that Thog is in Origin of PCs and says "Thog not in this book. Thog sad." But I forget where.

It's in the middle. Just like Miko complaining about the wasted space in No Cure for Paladin Blues.

T-O-E
2009-12-12, 08:21 AM
It should have been titled "He who fights with monsters..." to signify the complex alteration in Grover's personality over the course of the novel and as a reference to Nietzsche, who the writer shamelessly cribbed several existential elements from.
Still, it is a tragically underrated classic that manages to pinpoint the human condition and our societal values in opposition to change. Fascinating, truly.

This book WILL change your life.

SaintRidley
2009-12-12, 05:52 PM
But Humans are in the 4E MM and MM2, so ... TAKE THAT, YA FILTHY HOOMANS!

:haley: We never upgraded!

Starscream
2009-12-12, 06:24 PM
Speak for yourself, pointy. Some of us...

aren't.

There is a race called Elan, though. I was upset to learn that they are not in fact dimwitted blonds who annoy their foes with lute music.