PDA

View Full Version : Defense Cantrip: Intercept Arrow (PEACH)

Lysander
2009-12-12, 02:43 PM
Another spell in my quest to invent some handy cantrips:

Intercept Arrow
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: 1 ranged weapon projectile
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

A quick gesture causes a projectile heading towards the caster to stop in midair a few inches away and fall downward. Roll the projectile's damage when it is intercepted. If it would deal 6 or more damage on impact (before taking any type of protection into account) the spell cannot block it. If the projectile gets past Intercept Arrow it must still overcome the caster's AC to hit.

Narmy
2009-12-12, 02:54 PM
Hmmm.. I think that it's perhaps too strong for a cantrip. Then again, you did add a balancing factor.. But...

Teutonic Knight
2009-12-12, 02:58 PM
I don't know Narmy, seem pretty ok to me.

Narmy
2009-12-12, 02:59 PM
I'm thinking of it in these terms.

A cantrip that stops attacks, and pretty much halts all attacks from low levels.

My concern is that for low levels, this spell is over powered, and for higher levels, it's completely useless.

Teutonic Knight
2009-12-12, 03:15 PM
I see. In that case, I suggest lessening the damage needed to be dealt before the spell can not block it.

Siosilvar
2009-12-12, 03:18 PM
It's pretty much DR 5/(more than 5 damage) against one attack. c.f. Protection From Arrows (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromArrows.htm), at 2nd level and DR 10/magic against multiple attacks.

I'd suggest that it doesn't protect against magic projectiles.

Revan Ordo
2009-12-14, 08:47 AM
All in all, I have to agree with Siosilvar, it is basically DR: 5 / (more than 5 damage) from one ranged attack. As is, it is an okay cantrip, but it should be reworded so that it is clearer and mechanic-wise is more in line with the 2nd level spell Protection from Arrows. So I rewrote it as follows:

Intercept Arrow
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 immediate action
Range: Personal
Target: 1 ranged projectile
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
The caster gains resistance to one ranged weapon attack. The caster gains damage reduction 5/magic against the target ranged weapon.

Just my 2cp worth.