PDA

View Full Version : [4e] New Feat [PEACH]

nepphi
2009-12-12, 03:10 PM
Fiction and history are full of those amazing warriors who used a spear in one hand and a shield in the other. And we're not talking about a shortspear, we're talking about fourteen foot long pikes in the case of Alexander's Macedonians (at the extreme end of things). Having seen reenactors putting on demonstrations, it's pretty clear even fairly long spears (I've seen 8 footers moved fairly reliably) can be wielded one-handed by weekend fantasy geeks, let alone fighters as DnD defines them.

Since I have yet to see any feat that allows for this (I'll redact if I'm wrong), I propose the following feat;

Sarissa [Heroic Tier]
Prereqs 15 Str 15 Dex

Permits wielder to use any spear he is proficient with in one hand.

Thoughts?

Mando Knight
2009-12-12, 05:56 PM
Makes the Greatspear unambiguously the best weapon in the game. Most of the two-handed spears are two handed because of their reach.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-12, 08:09 PM
It basically provides a "more superior" feat to take after you have taken Greatspear, which, as Mando said, makes Greatspear the best weapon in the game. Better would be to homebrew a versatile spear with reach as a superior weapon, balancing it against everything else instead of adding a (huge!) bonus to some existing spears.

Ex: [Insert Name], +2 prof, 1d8 die, versatile, reach 2, spear, superior. I took about 5 seconds of thought on that, so its more than likely not balanced.

Talyn
2009-12-13, 09:53 AM
Heck, you can even call this versatile spear the Sarissa.

You can think of the Greatspear as something far thicker and sturdier - more like an oversized boar spear than a pike. The extra weight of the heavy head justifies the extra damage, and prevents it from being wielded one-handed.

nepphi
2009-12-13, 10:57 PM
Sounds good, thanks guys!

Versatile spear it is.