PDA

View Full Version : Jotun, the new monthly magazine [need submissions]

Surgo
2009-12-13, 11:04 PM
What This Is?

This is a magazine featuring homebrew creations of all sort, published every month. We have three goals:

To stop good homebrew creations from quickly fading away into obscurity by dropping off the first forum page.
To create a magazine of creations that people can actually use in their game. (In other words, avoid the "Dragon Magazine problem".)
To create a publication that people will want to read.

To accomplish the above, we have several methods:

Publish the magazine every month, taking the best of the previous month and beyond.
With each entry, include a small blurb about its relative balance level to other classes, so DMs can immediately know whether or not the entry is suitable for inclusion in their campaign.
Upload and index all back issues and their content to the Dungeons and Dragons Wiki (http://dungeons.wikia.com), so all old magazine content is easily searchable, discoverable, and usable.
Keep an archive of PDF forms of the magazine.
Publish only material that has been checked for quality.
Publish a large variety of types of material, to keep the magazine from becoming stale and/or boring.

What's Accepted?

We want homebrew creations of all sort! In addition to creations like classes, feats, etc., we're also looking for purely- or mostly-fluff creations. Stuff like cities, locations, planes, organizations, buildings -- if it's something that would be good for a game, we want it!

For our first issue, I'd really like a mix of everything. In addition -- remember when Dragon Magazine would devote a big section to a layer of the Abyss or a demon lord or both? It would be really, really cool if we could get somebody to do something like that for our first issue.

Also, art! Even if we can't get art for every section (which we can't), we could really use some cover art and a couple more pieces to help spruce up the magazine.

Who's Who?

On Board
Surgo: Editor-in-chief, publisher and typesetter.
Djinn_In_Tonic: Editor, judge.
lesser_minion: Editor, grammar pirate.
Nepphi: Editor, judge.
Temotei221: Grammar pirate.
Milskidasith: Judge.

Confirmed Submissions for Issue 1
None yet (have to go through judges).

Unconfirmed Submissions for Issue 1
Elvenblade: Unknown fluff piece.
InaVegt: "Theory of Magic" fluff piece.
Ichneumon: Lobsterkin 4e piece.
Pramxnim: Some PrCs.
Fako: An undead swarm monster.
Eldan: Diseases of the Planes.
TabletopNuke: Art.
Gamerkid: Stuff.

How do I Contribute?

If you want to submit: Go to our Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/jotun-magazine) and post a new discussion topic for your submission. Make the title somewhat descriptive of what the content is. You don't have to upload your stuff there -- you can provide a link to a forum thread, or wiki article, or whatever.

The old submission text is in the spoiler.
I'm in the process of setting up a Google group for the magazine*, but I want to make sure we have the name finalized before we do that. Until then, please Private Message all submissions to me and when we get the group going I'll put them there.

If you want to be a content/inclusion judge: PM me.

If you want to be that annoying grammar nazi who checks all spelling, grammar, following the rules of D&D publications, etc.: I would really love it if you PMed me and got on board.

* It occurs to me that that new Google Wave thing would be a good way to do this, but we're not all on it so that's out.

Daracaex
2009-12-14, 12:25 AM
To create a magazine of creations that people can actually use in their game. (In other words, avoid the "Dragon Magazine problem".)

Why can't people use Dragon content in their games?

EDIT: If you want to use Wave to talk about something like this, I've got 22 invitations just sitting there with nobody to take them. I can throw a few out there if people want them.

Temotei
2009-12-14, 12:26 AM

It's not liked.

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 12:29 AM
It's not liked.

And difficult to acquire. (Speak not of the internet)

Will you be doing only 3.5 content, or will 4e, Saga, and other systems appear as well, if a good piece is written?

I also assume completely fluff articles, in the vein of the "Ecology" articles would be accepted?

As someone who participated in Footprints, I might be on board, we'll see how busy I get.

Elfin
2009-12-14, 12:53 AM
I'd be happy to do regular fluff pieces.

Temotei
2009-12-14, 01:01 AM
I claim grammar piracy! :smallbiggrin:

Milskidasith
2009-12-14, 01:03 AM
I can be the really annoying guy that comments on balance until I realize the TC just doesn't want to change out his "awesome" idea no matter how broken it is, then finds a different homebrew to fix.

It's what I do best!

Temotei
2009-12-14, 01:04 AM
I can be the really annoying guy that comments on balance until I realize the TC just doesn't want to change out his "awesome" idea no matter how broken it is, then finds a different homebrew to fix.

It's what I do best!

Does that mean my radiant monk was never broken, since you didn't post in it? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Sorry, that was kind of off-topic.

TabletopNuke
2009-12-14, 01:08 AM
What size and format of files should we use when submitting artwork?

Sadly, my schoolwork will prevent me from doing regular illustration as other contributors' request. However, a lot of my finished artwork is from my Breakdown setting (the link is in my signature). When I submit Breakdown material, can I include the occasional drawing?

Milskidasith
2009-12-14, 01:12 AM
Does that mean my radiant monk was never broken, since you didn't post in it? :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Sorry, that was kind of off-topic.

My point-out-broken-stuff-fu may be strong, but I am not omniscient, nor do I like monks. :P

Temotei
2009-12-14, 01:18 AM
My point-out-broken-stuff-fu may be strong, but I am not omniscient, nor do I like monks. :P

:smallbiggrin: Hehe. Even heavy armor-wearing sun- and light-based monks that have hardly any connection to the core monk except a couple class features (usually upgraded) and fists?

Plus, you seem to know many things others do not, and you see things others cannot. :smallamused: Pretty dang strong.

jmbrown
2009-12-14, 01:29 AM
What's accepted? D&D material that complies with the OGL? Any RPG material? 3.5 only?

TabletopNuke
2009-12-14, 01:43 AM

TEACH ME! I try my best to help people on the board, but sometimes I am doubtful of my judgment.

If we intend to turn out 100% completed work for this magazine, we need to really get on board about PEACHing each others material. I try to critique at least 5 other homebrews for each one I post, but I sometimes have trouble getting mine looked at. I'm sure other people have the same problem.

InaVegt
2009-12-14, 06:20 AM
I will be submitting for this.

I have a plan for a big fluff article (with some crunch) too, I'll PM the bare bones idea to you later.

Vic_Sage
2009-12-14, 06:29 AM
It's not liked.
Then those people won't like this either most likely seeing how Dragon nowadays is actually useful.

Anyway, may throw down some stuff for this.

Bhu
2009-12-14, 07:13 AM
Any submission guidelines?

Ponce
2009-12-14, 07:58 AM
I'm not certain I quite grasp why some kind of e-zine would promote the use of homebrew. Mucking around with pdfs is fairly inconvenient compared to simple forum/wiki entries. The only use I see for a formatted pdf is to print it off and bring it to the table. Turning it all into a magazine type thing seems like wasted effort.

That being said, I think an extremely high level of quality control would be necessary for something like this to take off. I'm talking Simon-level scrutiny here.

Eldan
2009-12-14, 08:08 AM
A suggestion: I have, in my signature "Diseases of the Planes", written from the perspective of a Gnome NPC I have often used in my games: players tend to find lore documents written by him. I'd like to submit these diseases, or, if people like it, I could even provide more such content. "Findelwald Tungsten's Planar Weirdness" is a broad enough subject that I could keep writing fluff on it for almost forever. Locations, monsters, cultures... well, just about anything that is mostly fluff.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 08:15 AM
Replies, from last post to first post:

Any submission guidelines?

Was something lacking from the OP? Just send me a link to your submission.

What's accepted? D&D material that complies with the OGL? Any RPG material? 3.5 only?
Let's stick to 3.5e and 4e for this. Pretty much everything is OGL compliant so I'm not worried (go ahead and use martial disciplines or whatever). The magazine itself will be under the Creative Commons license.

What size and format of files should we use when submitting artwork?
Uncompressed or lossless-compressed TIFF would be best. Please no PSDs, I don't have Photoshop.

While I'd hope that people would want to actually print them off...300 dpi is really unnecessary; nobody uses printers like that.

Will you be doing only 3.5 content, or will 4e, Saga, and other systems appear as well, if a good piece is written?
4e and stuff should be fine. Saga appearing would mean that something good was actually written for Saga (oh snap!).

I also assume completely fluff articles, in the vein of the "Ecology" articles would be accepted?
Yes, very much so -- we want those articles! I hope that's completely clear in the first post.

EDIT: If you want to use Wave to talk about something like this, I've got 22 invitations just sitting there with nobody to take them. I can throw a few out there if people want them.
People say Dragon content balance was hit-or-miss; really, it's because they never said what they were trying to balance towards. Probably because the writers themselves didn't know.

If you could toss a wave invite my way? morgon DOT kanter AT gmail.

I'm not certain I quite grasp why some kind of e-zine would promote the use of homebrew. Mucking around with pdfs is fairly inconvenient compared to simple forum/wiki entries. The only use I see for a formatted pdf is to print it off and bring it to the table. Turning it all into a magazine type thing seems like wasted effort.

That being said, I think an extremely high level of quality control would be necessary for something like this to take off. I'm talking Simon-level scrutiny here.
It won't just be a PDF -- that would be silly. PDF is convenient for those who wish to print.

I'm not worried about quality control. I've been doing that for months already with another project. I don't know what Simon-level means, but I'll assume it means high -- yeah, we've got that.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-14, 08:24 AM
WotC would never have allowed any official or semi-official admission that the balance in 3.5 was terrible. It would hurt the brand's reputation and diminish sales. Saying that something is balanced "as a Rogue" in Dragon Magazine would have been a huge no-no.

Anyway, I'll probably contribute some stuff, just because I like getting my stuff out there, but I suspect that Ponce LeRue is right - I just don't see this accomplishing the stated goals.

Vic_Sage
2009-12-14, 08:26 AM
If you're submitting something and it's mechanical (not just fluff), make sure you give a small note about what it's balanced towards!YOUR SUBMISSION WILL BE REJECTED IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS!
That's about as clear as a windshield covered in oil in the middle of a hailstorm and it's foggy out.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 08:29 AM
Ignore this post -- magazine policy is changed.
My apologies, then. I'll add some examples:

"This class is meant to be around the level of the core Rogue in power."

"This prestige class isn't meant to be any more powerful than the Monk. If your campaign only includes people playing around the power level of the Monk, this should be fine in your game."

"This class is meant to play with the big boys -- Wizard, Cleric, Druid."

That more clear?

Eldan
2009-12-14, 08:31 AM
Oh. well, in that case, would someone look at my suggestion above and comment on balance? I have no idea what diseases should be balanced against.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 08:34 AM
Ignore the spoilered part -- magazine policy is changed.
Ugh...I am not communicating well at all, and for that I apologize to you. For something like diseases, you really don't have to worry about it. For stuff like classes or feats you do -- pretty much anything a DM would have to stop and think about including. I don't think a disease (or even a spell) really requires that level of scrutiny.

I missed your submission before -- added to the list! I think I like it -- good and flavorful.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-14, 09:01 AM
I'll be honest...I don't think these supposed "balance guidelines" are really necessary. It also taxes me, as an editor/judge, since, rather that judge the class on its own merits and determining its balance, I've also got to balance it against the (possibly incorrect) statement of the original writer. Also, that sort of balance is subjective: Rogue power can mean many things --> Are we talking a normal rogue, or a Two-Weapon Fighting Rogue/Fighter Tri-Keen designed to flank foes and stack up hundreds of d6s with wands of wraithstrike? Both are rogues.

I'd rather leave that up to us. For example:

"The _____ is overall a balanced class of moderate power, but potential DMs should be warned that, in conjunction with Two-Weapon Fighting and the Leap Attack feat, the _____ is capable of dealing incredibly large amounts of damage in a single round. If you allow the _____ in your game, keep an eye out for this sort of build, and let the player know ahead of time if you'd prefer to avoid it."

Surgo
2009-12-14, 09:05 AM
That's fine with me. My goal was to not saddle the judges with extra responsibility -- if you're willing to take the responsibility, you got it. It's probably better this way.

InaVegt
2009-12-14, 09:08 AM
Submission sent.

Athaniar
2009-12-14, 10:14 AM
Did my submission just disappear?

Surgo
2009-12-14, 11:34 AM
Did my submission just disappear?

Apparently; I can't find it in my PM box :( Send again?

Athaniar
2009-12-14, 11:39 AM
I did send it to Djinn for evaluation.

EDIT: If it isn't accepted, can I send another of my works to be evaluated?

Surgo
2009-12-14, 11:52 AM
Certainly. The reason I didn't put your name up under potential contributors is because I wasn't aware you submitted anything!

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 12:06 PM
Is there a standard format for submissions (i.e. MS Word, MS Excel, etc.)? I don't know BB code well enough to submit anything via PM (except fluffystuff).

nepphi
2009-12-14, 12:16 PM
I think it will take me too long to organize a first adventure to have it ready for the first issue, so that will wait til issue 2 I think. I'll stick to my editorial functions for issue #1 since we seem to have a lot of eager participants.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-14, 01:58 PM
My stuff doesn't typically have trouble being forgotten, but if you feel like nabbing anything of mine, feel free.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 02:02 PM
Is there a standard format for submissions (i.e. MS Word, MS Excel, etc.)? I don't know BB code well enough to submit anything via PM (except fluffystuff).

If it's not a plain text file I'd prefer you use Word's "export to PDF" feature because I don't actually own MS Word and I'm not sure what the other judges can open.

Milskidasith
2009-12-14, 02:26 PM
Why am I not on the list for judges? I offered my services and feel perfectly capable of judging the mechanical balance of anything submitted.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-14, 02:33 PM
If it's not a plain text file I'd prefer you use Word's "export to PDF" feature because I don't actually own MS Word and I'm not sure what the other judges can open.

If you have microsoft works you can use the word processor.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 02:39 PM
Well, as you know, I already submitted my submissions.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 02:42 PM
Why am I not on the list for judges? I offered my services and feel perfectly capable of judging the mechanical balance of anything submitted.
I probably just missed your post, and you didn't PM me so I didn't see that either.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 02:44 PM
On another note:

Unconfirmed Submissions for Issue 1
Elvenblade: Unknown fluff piece.
InaVegt: "Theory of Magic" fluff piece.
Ichneumon: Lobsterkin 4e piece.
Pramxnim: Some PrCs.
Fako: An undead swarm monster.
Eldan: Diseases of the Planes.
TabletopNuke:[/b] Art.

why am I not on this list? :smallconfused: Or is this for the "Jotun-only" submissions? :smallconfused:

Surgo
2009-12-14, 02:46 PM
Once again...I just missed your post / PM. The list isn't going to be 100% accurate at any given time, but we won't forget to credit anyone.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 02:47 PM
Once again...I just missed your post / PM. The list isn't going to be 100% accurate at any given time, but we won't forget to credit anyone.

Okay, got it. Sorry, didn't know that list wasn't final.

TabletopNuke
2009-12-14, 03:09 PM
I can contribute my madness feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129960) now, and my Breakdown stuff once it's further along. I submitted i to Djinn, but I fear it may have been lost in the depths of the internet, as I have gotten no response.

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 03:12 PM
I can contribute my madness feats (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129960) now, and my Breakdown stuff once it's further along. I submitted i to Djinn, but I fear it may have been lost in the depths of the internet, as I have gotten no response.

I haven't gotten a PM from Djinn either, I assume he's just being very through with his judging.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 03:18 PM
I've created a Google Group (http://groups.google.com/group/jotun-magazine) for discussing content for the upcoming magazines. If the people interested in judging and editing and whatnot could please PM me their email addresses, I'll add them to the group. Then we can upload all the homebrew submissions and get judging.

edit: Turns out you can add yourself to the group, so go ahead and do that if you want.

lesser_minion
2009-12-14, 03:27 PM
I just sent you a PM asking to be accepted as a grammar nazi and editor.

How should we handle style?

Quite a few rules in the English language have more than one interpretation, so we need to work out a policy on Grammar nazism.

Otherwise, we run the risk of either having one person edit in serial commas at the same time as someone else edits them out.

Mixing American and British spelling probably wouldn't be a great idea either.

I'm not sure whether it would be better to just let style guidelines evolve on their own, or to try and work them out in advance.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 03:30 PM
Whenever possible, we should follow the style of D&D books for the edition the material is for. For 3.5 that means italicized spells and SLAs, Capital Bolded Abilities (Su), and the like.

But that doesn't really address the issue you brought up, so let's try to throw down some rules right now. You're the grammar nazi, not me, so your words carry the most weight, but I'm throwing down the vote for American English. The rest I really just don't know enough about to make an informed decision.

That said it'll probably be an evolving thing because I'm sure we can't come up with a set that covers everything, and something will slip through said set and then get dealt with which creates future precedent and policy.

lesser_minion
2009-12-14, 03:35 PM
Whenever possible, we should follow the style of D&D books for the edition the material is for. For 3.5 that means italicized spells and SLAs, Capital Bolded Abilities (Su), and the like.

But that doesn't really address the issue you brought up, so let's try to throw down some rules right now. You're the grammar nazi, not me, so your words carry the most weight, but I'm throwing down the vote for American English. The rest I really just don't know enough about to make an informed decision.

That said it'll probably be an evolving thing because I'm sure we can't come up with a set that covers everything, and something will slip through said set and then get dealt with which creates future precedent and policy.

I'm more comfortable using British English, but I guess you're right - the books use American English.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-14, 03:37 PM
Mixing American and British spelling probably wouldn't be a great idea either.

I think it'd be better to just leave it as which one the person who made the class put it as. It's not much of a difference, an extra u is some words (colour) or a missing e or something isn't gonna change much.

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 04:01 PM
I've almost done a "Ecology" type article. Since DDI still uses the term "Ecology of the X", I've called the article Monstrous Ecologies.

I in no way claim ownership of any future article of this type, and give free reign to anyone to use the name.

I hope to have a PDF to send you guys soon.

nepphi
2009-12-14, 04:01 PM
This is as good a time as any to ask; what guidelines should we set up (broadly speaking, I'll work on them more specifically) for adventure/side quest submissions? Do we want to require art and maps, and if so what minimum quality are we going for?

Gamerlord
2009-12-14, 04:07 PM
This is as good a time as any to ask; what guidelines should we set up (broadly speaking, I'll work on them more specifically) for adventure/side quest submissions? Do we want to require art and maps, and if so what minimum quality are we going for?

Anyone know a good tile mapper? :smallconfused: I'm not too good with drawing maps.

dsmiles
2009-12-14, 04:09 PM
I've almost done a "Ecology" type article. Since DDI still uses the term "Ecology of the X", I've called the article Monstrous Ecologies.

I in no way claim ownership of any future article of this type, and give free reign to anyone to use the name.

I hope to have a PDF to send you guys soon.

What, pray tell, are you doing an ecology on? I wouldn't want to step on your toes if I decide to do an ecology.

Surgo
I don't want to set hard and fast guidelines for this because adventures have a tendency to be surprising, but I strongly suggest that maps are included where relevant. Dungeon maps where combat will take place, especially.

lesser_minion
I think it'd be better to just leave it as which one the person who made the class put it as. It's not much of a difference, an extra u is some words (colour) or a missing e or something isn't gonna change much.

I think something will probably evolve some time in the future. There are a few things that I will probably enforce, but I think you're right - allowing writers to use whichever spellings they preserve might not be an issue.

For pronouns, I'd suggest using 'she' for characters or Dungeon Masters of unknown gender and 'he' for players or monsters of unknown gender. IIRC, the books seem to use them randomly.

I'd also suggest hyphenating words such as 'co-operate' and 'co-ordinate', in the very least.

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 04:48 PM
What, pray tell, are you doing an ecology on? I wouldn't want to step on your toes if I decide to do an ecology.

Kruthik. I decided the little critters needed some love.

Temotei
2009-12-14, 05:02 PM
I probably just missed your post, and you didn't PM me so I didn't see that either.

Plus, Milskidasith has that "Simon" thing going on sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

...comes off a bit stand-offish sometimes, but gets the job done.

Gralamin
2009-12-14, 05:04 PM
Article submitted to Google Group, let me know what you think.

Temotei
2009-12-14, 05:24 PM
Also, if you want a base class in there somewhere for 3.5, I'm coming up with one right now. It should be complete before the week's end.

lesser_minion
2009-12-14, 05:24 PM
Before I horrify anyone, I'm using my real name (Peter Williams) on the group pages.

blueknight21
2009-12-14, 05:25 PM
I hate being another person to say this but i also sent a pm to be a grammar Nazi. just making sure.

i agree with Dark Fiddler on this, partially.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-14, 05:27 PM
I'm definitely interested in this; I'll get to work submitting my Witch Doctor (see signature) soon, though the Improved Mojo brews are unfinished (read: nonexistant).

lesser_minion
2009-12-14, 06:49 PM

Google Docs will open .doc files and .odt files, which covers the two most common document formats.

It's actually easiest for me if you submit things in one of those formats, because then I can edit them directly and produce a revised version and a marked-up PDF with the changes.

I can also handle .abw and .docx, but not everyone can, so I'd suggest avoiding them.

PDFs are a lot harder to work with, and I don't think many of our editors can really do much with them.

Surgo
2009-12-14, 09:49 PM
I wasn't aware we could do that with Google. Go ahead and use .docs, I guess we all can upload them thanks to Google!

Kroy
2009-12-14, 11:53 PM
I am thinking of making a skirmish based martial adept, using some of the homebrew disciplines (with permission, of course). Would this be acceptable?

Elfin
2009-12-15, 12:25 AM
I've written out an (admittedly rough) draft of my article, and sent it to both Surgo and Djinn_In_Tonic.

lesser_minion
2009-12-15, 07:48 AM
At the moment, e-mail submissions, Google Groups discussions, or links to files on Google Docs (or a similar service) are probably best.

That way the Grammar Pirates can go through them at the same time as the Quality Ninjas.

dsmiles
2009-12-15, 08:27 AM
Kruthik. I decided the little critters needed some love.

OK, no worries there. I'm not even sure what a Kruthik is.

Surgo
2009-12-15, 08:42 AM
I am thinking of making a skirmish based martial adept, using some of the homebrew disciplines (with permission, of course). Would this be acceptable?

Yeah, should be fine.

Narmy
2009-12-15, 08:51 AM
So Surgo, did any of my material qualify, just curious?

I was told by a few people that on a scale of 1-10 my PrC class was a 7. Was a 7 good enough?

Surgo
2009-12-15, 08:57 AM
I don't know. It hasn't gone through all the balance ninjas yet.

Narmy
2009-12-15, 09:30 AM
-Grasps exactly what you mean, but decides to go the funny route.-

You have balance ninja's -Gazes up at you with starry eyes- Ooooo

Surgo
2009-12-15, 10:45 AM
Also, people, your submissions will get judged much faster if you submit them on Google Groups (as a Google Document if possible, see my post about "We don't need PDFs anymore" for information on how to do that) instead of waiting for me or someone else to submit them!

Elfin
2009-12-15, 01:46 PM
Ok, posted the draft on the Google Group.

Gamerlord
2009-12-15, 02:05 PM
Also, people, your submissions will get judged much faster if you submit them on Google Groups (as a Google Document if possible, see my post about "We don't need PDFs anymore" for information on how to do that) instead of waiting for me or someone else to submit them!

What if we just link to the topic it was posted first on? :smallconfused:

Ichneumon
2009-12-15, 02:39 PM
Okay, I've added my submission to the google-thingy.

Gamerlord
2009-12-15, 05:43 PM
Eh, I might as well Copy and paste my PM into that google thing.

EDIT: Uh oh, the Urso one isn't working!

Rappy
2009-12-15, 05:57 PM
EDIT: Maybe next issue. Family issues have prevented me from being able to work much on anything for this endeavor.

Kallisti
2009-12-15, 06:11 PM
Sign me up as editor and grammar pirate.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-15, 06:15 PM
Later tonight I'll begin the process of posting my thoughts and opinions about the balance of your creations. Bear in mind that I am notorious for being exceptionally brutal with my criticism: don't be offended, please. My end goal is for us to have something better as a result of my critique, not for me to derive some terrible satisfaction out of tearing you apart.

That said, I'm also a pretty good judge of balance, so, if I say something is seriously out of whack, it probably is. :smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2009-12-15, 06:30 PM
Later tonight I'll begin the process of posting my thoughts and opinions about the balance of your creations. Bear in mind that I am notorious for being exceptionally brutal with my criticism: don't be offended, please. My end goal is for us to have something better as a result of my critique, not for me to derive some terrible satisfaction out of tearing you apart.

That said, I'm also a pretty good judge of balance, so, if I say something is seriously out of whack, it probably is. :smallbiggrin:

I'm used to being torn apart verbally, and everything you say I can improve on!

Gralamin
2009-12-15, 09:59 PM

Brutal Critics are the best critics

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-15, 11:45 PM
Alright. Lobsterkin (I think that name might need a change...just sounds a little kitschy) have been critiqued, but I'm sick, tired, and have a final tomorrow, so that's probably it for me.

That said...is there a way to use bold or italics on a google group? If so, what is it?

Bhu
2009-12-16, 03:08 AM
Replies, from last post to first post:

Was something lacking from the OP? Just send me a link to your submission.

Language, content allowed, etc. Basically I tend towards stuff dor either humorous or horror campaigs a lot, and sometimes it can be a bit risque...

Athaniar
2009-12-16, 03:10 AM

As mentioned, brutal criticism makes a good judge. We can't improve if we don't know what's wrong, can we?

Gralamin
2009-12-16, 03:19 AM
Alright. Lobsterkin (I think that name might need a change...just sounds a little kitschy) have been critiqued, but I'm sick, tired, and have a final tomorrow, so that's probably it for me.

That said...is there a way to use bold or italics on a google group? If so, what is it?

Not in Discussions.

Surgo
2009-12-16, 09:04 AM
Language, content allowed, etc. Basically I tend towards stuff dor either humorous or horror campaigs a lot, and sometimes it can be a bit risque...

The entire staff is made up of adults, so go ahead with all of the above.

Elfin
2009-12-16, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the input, Djinn; I definitely agree that it could use more.
I'll get to work and cook some additional substance up.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 03:08 PM
When my mana system based on area and earthsea magic system are a bit more developed I would like to submit them, but they need work. I'll see if earthsea magic could make it into the second issue? That's the one that has fewer balance issues, due to the fact that you only know X words.

Surgo
2009-12-16, 03:32 PM
A general point: We're going to need more submissions to have a magazine.

Fortuna
2009-12-16, 03:36 PM
The magic systems in my sig are going to be getting finished and polished heavily in the upcoming weeks. If you want, I could make a push to finish one and do them in a multi-part thing over multiple issues. How does that sound?

Surgo
2009-12-16, 03:43 PM
As far as magic systems in the first issue, I was actually going to use my prerogative as editor-in-chief to include mine :-P. Next issue, perhaps we can use another.

Fortuna
2009-12-16, 04:00 PM
Fair enough. I do almost feel that once mine is fleshed out, it would do better as a multi-part piece.

Gamerlord
2009-12-16, 04:09 PM
If I can find a good dungeon tile mapper, I might do a short 4e dungeon delve for Jotun's second issue or latter.

jmbrown
2009-12-16, 06:30 PM
Is there a deadline for material for the first issue? I ask because I work better under deadlines.

Also, unless someone else claimed it, I might be able to do a cover art piece. I say might because I'll be on holiday vacation for the next 2 weeks which means one of two things:

A) I have all the time in the world

and

B) My childhood buddies find out and mob me with party plans.

If it's the former I can probably whip up a full, colored page.

Edit: I think my first submission will involve my sudden interest in underwater campaigns. Maybe a template, merfolk as a player character race, and some equipment.

Bhu
2009-12-17, 05:08 AM
So is there a theme for the 1st issue or is anything allowed?

I could do a monster of the month thingie :smallbiggrin:

Or maybe some items or a PrC...

OOOH WAIT!!!!

New Flaws: I could do various forms of insanities as Flaws.

Narmy
2009-12-17, 05:44 AM
Well, I already submitted my 3 completed works to Surgo.

So, that's some submissions, perhaps update the title of the topic to include that you want/require submissions?

DragoonWraith
2009-12-17, 06:09 AM
Ironically, the thing I'd be most interested in publishing is the one I can't (or at least, can't publish the image). The Dualist is still my favorite one of my works, I think.

Actually, in general - art's going to be an issue. I mean, I use images I find on the Internet and credit/ask permission from the artist when I can find him or her, but usually I can't...

Are there any artist's out there who might be interested in doing work for this?

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-17, 06:48 AM
I can most likely make some manga-style sketches for my own work if needed, but then anything I make can't go in till I find a scanner. Maybe if we borrows the Giant's style for the iside images, and then the cover could be a group of adventurers facing the monster of the month or something like that.

Just an idea. I'll see if I can churn out different magic systems for an ongoing article. The first two will be earthsea and mana (based on the MtG interpretation), though I think that I can create a few more. When A20 is finished and a new name is created I'll write up some fluff for it and publish it as a series of articles, including a new setting.

lesser_minion
2009-12-17, 07:01 AM
If and when I finish writing up Starlight, and the two settings I have in mind for it, I'll consider writing them up as articles as well.

That will be a long time, however.

Gamerlord
2009-12-17, 06:39 PM
Well, I have started thinking about stuff I can make for the second issue,and I thought about making a 4e revision of my tainted races, one race a issue, starting second issue.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-17, 06:43 PM
Well, I have started thinking about stuff I can make for the second issue,and I though about making a 4e revision of my tainted races, one race a issue, starting second issue.

Before you do, here's one of my biggest questions about the tainted races: why didn't you simply make "tainted" a template? If that answer is obvious to you, then what do all the races have in common that makes them all "tainted?"

Finally, I'd rather put all the tainted races together, rather than a 1-per-issue thing...1 race isn't really an entry on its own, in my mind, unless you've got a lot of fluff to go with it.

Gamerlord
2009-12-17, 06:47 PM
Before you do, here's one of my biggest questions about the tainted races: why didn't you simply make "tainted" a template? If that answer is obvious to you, then what do all the races have in common that makes them all "tainted?"

Finally, I'd rather put all the tainted races together, rather than a 1-per-issue thing...1 race isn't really an entry on its own, in my mind, unless you've got a lot of fluff to go with it.
Well...I guess I didn't think about a template, for one, I never had made a template before, while I had made races before, also, I guess I just plain didn't think about that :smalltongue: .

Eldan
2009-12-17, 06:49 PM
I was recently contacted by the publisher of a periodicum, a magazine, as he called it, by the name of Jotun. The name was chosen, he informed me, to honour the publisher's sponsor, a giant by the name of Burlew. While I have, in my travels, come into contact with many of the Thursar and Jötnar, it was still a novelty to me to hear of one interested in the, still experimental and untested, art of the printing press and I agreed to write down, from time to time and whenever my travel arrangements allowed me the time to do so, a little story or report about my most recent travels, and send it to this literary agent, a simply delightful sentient wolf from a place he refered to as "Moose".

Or in other words, I'll try and type up some other planar oddities to submit.

By the way: am I seeing this correctly, you can't format a post on this google site?

Dragon Elite
2009-12-17, 07:36 PM
I joined the Google group as "Dragon" and posted my Deep kobolds. I may have an adventure for the next magazine and I can make 2-4 Monsters per month for it.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-17, 07:43 PM
and then the cover could be a group of adventurers facing the monster of the month or something like that.

What would really be awesome is if we had a group of adventurers we kept using whenever we need them, sometimes posting their exploits (leading into quests, perhaps). Like the ones from the PHB, but not sucking.

Although that might be getting a bit out of the focus area...

Fortuna
2009-12-17, 07:45 PM
If someone cares to provide me with a couple of ideas for the characters, I am a decent writer and have long periods of nothing to do, so I could write that sort of an introduction/interlude/epilogue to each piece, or a couple of pieces per issue, or whatever. Interested?

Eldan
2009-12-17, 07:47 PM
Well, if you want to use him, you can have Findelwald Tungsten for a party. I've never completely statted him out, but he's a gnomish Archivist with a very, very high constitution score.

Fortuna
2009-12-17, 07:56 PM
Cool. I will be trying to avoid stereotypes as much as possible, and that is a good start. I am also considering a barbarian who is afraid of the dark, and possibly an elven wizard who is agoraphobic.

Eldan
2009-12-17, 07:58 PM
Well, you should go read my disease article. You'll see a lot about him there. His basic characteristic is that he has a kind of... cheerful scientist attitude. A strange new disease which eats his small intenstine is "delightful". The frost giant's warhammer is "wonderfully rustic".

Fortuna
2009-12-17, 07:59 PM
That's right, I read that a while back. Yep, he'll definitely be part of it, if this whole idea gets approval from on high. I must say that the fake latin irritates me, and I would dearly love to be able to correct it, but the thread is too old.

Gamerlord
2009-12-17, 08:06 PM
I have an idea for one of those characters:

Bamacourius Dakakakakaka XII : Orc wizard, not a blaster caster, despite the name, his major flaw is that not only is he a know-it-all, he grew up in a community of know-it-all-type people, so he thinks the entire party always knows that obscure piece of data that he in fact, is the only person in the party who knows.

An example:
Bamacourius Dakakakakaka XII: A vile beholderkin! ATTACK!
Stabby mcstabby the half-orc barbarian: Whut is a beholderkin?
Bamacourius Dakakakakaka XII: What? EVERYONE knows what a beholderkin is!

So therefore, he automatically assumes you know about the fact that *Insert obscure monster* can only be slain by a sword made of metal from *Insert obscure cave* .

Fortuna
2009-12-17, 08:11 PM
Perfect. He will replace the agoraphobic wizard.

So, thus far we have an archivist and a wizard. I think I will have a barbarian, but rather than scared of the dark we'll have him be incredibly civilised, speaking in a bad english accent, and then exploding into volatile rage and ruining his top hat. Then he says "Frightfully sorry, chaps."

Still looking for a nice idiosyncrasy for the rogue-type, though.

Eldan
2009-12-17, 08:13 PM
So, wait. We have a strange, intelligent archivist, a strange, intelligent wizard, and a strangely cultured barbarian.
Shouldn't the last character be an uncivilized, dirty, rude and smelly bard?

Fortuna
2009-12-17, 08:17 PM
Done. Oh, that is most definitely done. For added fun, he does his bardic music off of Perform (Rap). Or possibly Perform (Breakdance), not sure yet.

Eldan
2009-12-17, 08:27 PM
Don't try to get too far away from classical DnD culture. I'd suggest staying close to something that could theoretically happen in a pseudo-medieval magical culture. I mean, he can still play the goblin battle-lute.

Fortuna
2009-12-17, 08:33 PM
Fair enough then. How about Perform (Lewd Limericks)? Also, how long should these pieces be? A paragraph per article, therabouts?

Eldan
2009-12-17, 08:46 PM
Lewd Limmericks could work, yes. So, I guess his prefered medium is ink-on-outhouse-door?
Well. Long, greasy hair, dirty clothes, stubble, cleaning his teeth with a dagger and performing limericks. World's only bard with 8 charisma.

And now: Inspiration!

There once was a gnome in Sigil...

Jogi
2009-12-17, 10:00 PM
If I can find a good dungeon tile mapper, I might do a short 4e dungeon delve for Jotun's second issue or latter.

Still thinking about that dungeon?

Gamerlord
2009-12-18, 02:19 PM
Still thinking about that dungeon?

Yes, why do you ask?

Only problem is, the only one I can find is the dungeon tile mapper on the D&D site. And that one is less-than-stellar.

EnderChant
2009-12-18, 06:37 PM
Hey, I would dig this. I don't know what I'd submit yet, but color me interested.

Jogi
2009-12-19, 01:20 AM
Yes, why do you ask?

Only problem is, the only one I can find is the dungeon tile mapper on the D&D site. And that one is less-than-stellar.

Maybe we could use Masterplan. It's map-maker is almost the same as the one wotc provides, but with the addition that you can draw them yourself, scan and the put it in tiles in a really simple way. Additionally, Masterplan is the ideal program to make any 4e adventure. It'd be perfect for a dungeon.

If you wanna check it out here it is. (http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/)

Temotei
2009-12-19, 01:44 AM
Alright. Sorry I haven't joined until now. I've been busy and sick, so it's hard to get online. I just joined the group. I'll get to pirating in a day or two. :smallbiggrin: Although, the mummy template I have commented on.

Debihuman
2009-12-19, 07:04 AM
Just joined and linked to two prestige classes. I think I will hold off submitting anything else at the moment.

Debby

Bhu
2009-12-19, 07:13 AM
I just joined the google group. This time of year is twitchy for me because i work massive overtime, but I'm working on some stuff offline. Anything in particular you don't have yet you'd like to see?

Gamerlord
2009-12-19, 07:40 AM
Maybe we could use Masterplan. It's map-maker is almost the same as the one wotc provides, but with the addition that you can draw them yourself, scan and the put it in tiles in a really simple way. Additionally, Masterplan is the ideal program to make any 4e adventure. It'd be perfect for a dungeon.

If you wanna check it out here it is. (http://www.habitualindolence.net/masterplan/)

Thanks, I'll check it out. :smallsmile:

Gamerlord
2009-12-19, 08:14 AM
Argh, it says I have no "Tile library" . :smallconfused: Can't build a map now.
Edit: Never mind, found one.
EDIT: Argh, no wilderness icons, only indoor dungeon ones.

Jogi
2009-12-19, 10:11 AM
Argh, it says I have no "Tile library" . :smallconfused: Can't build a map now.
Edit: Never mind, found one.
EDIT: Argh, no wilderness icons, only indoor dungeon ones.

Yes, but you can draw your on stuff or import wilderness images pretty easily. And the program is great for building an adventure.
EDIT: What I usually do is draw the map myself and scan it. Then turn it into a big Y x Z sized tile and place it in the map.

PS.: How do I join the wave?

Gamerlord
2009-12-19, 10:32 AM
Yes, but you can draw your on stuff or import wilderness images pretty easily. And the program is great for building an adventure.
EDIT: What I usually do is draw the map myself and scan it. Then turn it into a big Y x Z sized tile and place it in the map.

PS.: How do I join the wave?

By "Draw your own stuff" do you mean there is a program in there that lets me construct my own tiles?

Surgo
2009-12-19, 10:37 AM
There is no wave; there is a Google Group.

http://groups.google.com/group/jotun-magazine

Also where on earth are the people who said they were going to be Grammar Pirates and Balance Ninjas?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-19, 10:40 AM
Also where on earth are the people who said they were going to be Grammar Pirates and Balance Ninjas?

Having finals week. That said, I did still throw around some critique anyway.

Surgo
2009-12-19, 10:40 AM
Yeah, you're like one of the two people I saw.

But there was at least 10 people who mentioned wanting to either be a balance ninja or a grammar pirate.

Jogi
2009-12-19, 11:14 AM
By "Draw your own stuff" do you mean there is a program in there that lets me construct my own tiles?

No, lol, I meant draw like in getting pen and paper.

Gamerlord
2009-12-19, 12:07 PM
No, lol, I meant draw like in getting pen and paper.

Also, I don't think I have the equipment to scan that onto a computer.

nepphi
2009-12-19, 01:19 PM
I'm present and looking over the materials.

We're getting buried in snow, so I've been running around cleaning walkways.

Jogi
2009-12-19, 01:44 PM
Also, I don't think I have the equipment to scan that onto a computer.

Hmmm I do have the equipment. But then I'd need aproval for my drawing skillsplus descriptions of the rooms. :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2009-12-19, 01:52 PM
I'm working on correcting Findelwald Tungsten's Diseases of the Planes right now. It's pretty long, so I'll finish in a while.

Gamerlord
2009-12-19, 02:44 PM
Hmmm I do have the equipment. But then I'd need aproval for my drawing skillsplus descriptions of the rooms. :smallbiggrin:

Uhhh.... no thanks, that sounds like more trouble then its worth, I'll find a way to make due with what I have.

blueknight21
2009-12-19, 02:56 PM
But there was at least 10 people who mentioned wanting to either be a balance ninja or a grammar pirate.

yeah i'm one of those people. I just haven't done anything because i'm a very "do what you tell me" kinda person. i just need some minimal guidlines on which ones i should concentrate on or not so i know where to start.

Surgo
2009-12-19, 03:00 PM
I'd appreciate it if you commented on, honestly, everything that has been uploaded to the group so far (there's not that much there).

lesser_minion
2009-12-19, 03:50 PM
I'll see what I can do.

Sorry for being away for a bit.

playswithfire
2009-12-19, 09:01 PM
Joined the group earlier today. Have some stuff rattling around in my head to contribute (may use the monthly nature of this to make myself make more progress on my homebrew), but my computer died, so that's not an option for a week or so.

I'll do my best to do some commenting tomorrow.

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 07:57 AM
I'm working on that dungeon I mentioned, it is turning out bigger then I wanted though, instead of a dungeon delve, I'm ending up with a full-blown adventure! Hope you have enough room in the second issue for something like that!

Also, while the tiles it comes with are mostly dungeons, it does have two houses, I can use that for the city battles I needed in the adventure.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 11:13 AM
In the event that I can't upload a .doc or similar submission, is it alright to provide a link to my submitted entry? If not, how else can I submit (to my Lord and Master)?

Surgo
2009-12-20, 11:15 AM
Sure, but you can upload a doc. Just go to Google Documents (docs.google.com), upload it there, and right-click on it and go to the access level thing to share it with the group.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 11:18 AM
This is somewhat embarassing.

I, ah, I've forgotten my login name for my Gmail account. My nickname on the group should still be Lord Gareth, or else Knives. Could, ah, someone tell me my own address? Please?

Surgo
2009-12-20, 11:20 AM
It doesn't give me the whole thing when I click, but maybe this will be enough to remind you: [email protected].

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 11:30 AM
Oh my, the adventure I'm making has exploded from dungeon delve to full-blown adventure, if my math is correct, when I finish the module, it will be enough to bring 5 level 17 characters to at least level 18-19.

Is it a problem if the adventure is rather large? It'll be for the second issue at the very least.

Surgo
2009-12-20, 11:31 AM
No, it just needs to be good.

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 11:33 AM
No, it just needs to be good.

Got it, little warning though, it is pretty much plain hack-and-slash, and I have little experience with the program I am using to make it. The program I'm using also doesn't have a spellchecker, so I have no clue about the quality of the spelling.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 11:56 AM
Alright, I'm currently attempting to share my Witch Doctor - you'll find out pretty soon how well that ends up going. I'd appreciate any critique that can be thrown around, as well as any suggestions ya'll might have on Improved Mojo brews, of which I've currently written a whopping none.

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 12:29 PM
Argh, I just realized a major flaw in my adventure: TOO MANY SKILL CHALLENGES! I am WAY overdoing them! I have like 3-4 skill challenges already, and they are pretty much all for doing silly tasks like calming a panicked old man or finding a fort in the mountains! :smallannoyed:

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 12:48 PM
The above is why I don't play 4e ^_^

Alright, the Doctor is in, and I'd appreciate any critique and/or Improved Mojo suggestions that could be tossed my way, subject of course to time constraints, real life, et cetera.

@Surgo - You are aware that trying to keep up a monthly pace is going to be crazier than a CE Derro, right? We can try, but we may want to consider bi-monthly, or maybe even seasonal. It's not like we're working through the most efficient of mediums here...

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 12:58 PM
I am sure that we can try to keep it monthly, we just need a steady stream of submissions.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-20, 01:05 PM
@Surgo - You are aware that trying to keep up a monthly pace is going to be crazier than a CE Derro, right? We can try, but we may want to consider bi-monthly, or maybe even seasonal. It's not like we're working through the most efficient of mediums here...

I thought this as well. There are two ways around it: firstly, assemble a team of people who are willing to each do 1-2 unique creations for the magazine. That way we'll have a constant supply: 10 people dedicating 2 creations each month gives us at least 20 features.

Secondly, a bi-monthly or quarterly publication, which gives us more time to refine and improve.

Also, we need to make sure that we have ARTICLES, not just tiny features. 1 race should be posted to the forums, as should a single spell. This should, in my opinion, be for more in depth things: full prestige classes or base classes, adventures, the occasional article, and so forth. Make it what Dragon should have been, not just a collection of stuff I could find on the forum. It needs to be unique if people are going to actually bother to read it. We need to request things to make it special.

For example...I'm working on a treatise on the theory and practice of Roleplaying that I'd be willing to contribute, whether in monthly/bimonthly segments or, when it's done, all at once. That's something you won't find other places, and things like it may be a reason to read Jotun over the forums.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 01:07 PM
I am sure that we can try to keep it monthly, we just need a steady stream of submissions.

A steady stream of submissions which must be reviewed, spellchecked, edited for grammar/balance, reviewed again, et cetera, et cetera. Not to mention that, thus far, we have a rather random selection. I dunno, maybe it won't be as bad as I'm thinking, but I'm not certain that monthly is feasible.

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 01:18 PM
@Dijinn
On another note, I'm still waiting for judging on the rest of my stuff, but I understand that you're busy with finals?

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 01:25 PM
I thought this as well. There are two ways around it: firstly, assemble a team of people who are willing to each do 1-2 unique creations for the magazine. That way we'll have a constant supply: 10 people dedicating 2 creations each month gives us at least 20 features.

Secondly, a bi-monthly or quarterly publication, which gives us more time to refine and improve.

Both of these sound like good ideas - hell, I could use a regular excuse to excercise my imagination. Actually, I had an idea for a PrC or two that you might be interested in, my friend, relating to F.A.T.E., Inc and Destiny Multiversal.

Also, we need to make sure that we have ARTICLES, not just tiny features. 1 race should be posted to the forums, as should a single spell. This should, in my opinion, be for more in depth things: full prestige classes or base classes, adventures, the occasional article, and so forth. Make it what Dragon should have been, not just a collection of stuff I could find on the forum. It needs to be unique if people are going to actually bother to read it. We need to request things to make it special.

Preach it, brother!

For example...I'm working on a treatise on the theory and practice of Roleplaying that I'd be willing to contribute, whether in monthly/bimonthly segments or, when it's done, all at once. That's something you won't find other places, and things like it may be a reason to read Jotun over the forums.

I'm looking forward to reading it ^_^

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-20, 01:43 PM
Both of these sound like good ideas - hell, I could use a regular excuse to excercise my imagination. Actually, I had an idea for a PrC or two that you might be interested in, my friend, relating to F.A.T.E., Inc and Destiny Multiversal.

Awesome. Perhaps we could even sneak the Ritualist in some day. :smallbiggrin:

And shoot me the PrC ideas. I'm always interested in your stuff!

Ichneumon
2009-12-20, 01:54 PM
@Djinn_In_Tonic: Thanks for the review. I agree.

Also, I've written a small quick-overview of my homebrew campaign setting. Now, I've written it mostly for my own players and I know not every homebrew campaign setting is worth reading by others or original enough, but would you potentially be interested in that sort of stuff? I could post it, and depending on how you like the idea, I maybe could turn it into a real "magazine" article or something.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-20, 02:13 PM
@Djinn - PM sent. I'm willing to do F.A.T.E. if you can cook up some Destiny :D

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-20, 03:35 PM
@Djinn - PM sent. I'm willing to do F.A.T.E. if you can cook up some Destiny :D

Certainly, my friend! :smallbiggrin:

Surgo
2009-12-20, 03:35 PM
I am liking the idea of bimonthly. I will write some stuff on undead for the undead submissions I made.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-21, 11:51 AM
Alright folks, I'd like to officially announce that Djinn and I are jointly working on a (pair of?) PrC's and a fluff article to go with F.A.T.E., Inc and Destiny Multiversal.

Hopefully we'll actually finish this project instead of burning out in a blaze of creative fire ^_^

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-21, 12:15 PM
Alright folks, I'd like to officially announce that Djinn and I are jointly working on a (pair of?) PrC's and a fluff article to go with F.A.T.E., Inc and Destiny Multiversal.

Hopefully we'll actually finish this project instead of burning out in a blaze of creative fire ^_^

Awww...but that means we can't use our typical mode of operation! ALL our projects get so tangled up in our combined creative energies that they consume themselves!

Narmy
2009-12-21, 12:21 PM
@Djinn_In_Tonic: Thanks for the review. I agree.

Also, I've written a small quick-overview of my homebrew campaign setting. Now, I've written it mostly for my own players and I know not every homebrew campaign setting is worth reading by others or original enough, but would you potentially be interested in that sort of stuff? I could post it, and depending on how you like the idea, I maybe could turn it into a real "magazine" article or something.

Add your comic adventure to the magazine?

Gamerlord
2009-12-21, 05:16 PM
I have a rough draft of my adventure almost done, I finished the first three "Dungeons" and am working on the aspect of Tiamat dungeon and then there is the final battle dungeon,also, this will take the PCs from levels 17-20. Then I need to spell check it, work out the rest of the problems, and figure out how to prepare it for submissions, then wait for the first issue to be done, then I immediately submit it :smalltongue: .

If you need to know, here are the main themes of the adventure:
Undead,Tiamat,Primordials, and Giants.

Gamerlord
2009-12-21, 05:47 PM
Ugh, another major flaw in the adventure: dragons aren't that impressive in it, there is an entire dungeon that is just dragon after dragon, until you face off against an aspect of Tiamat or whatever it is called, then it is off to the final dungeon!

In short, it makes dragons just another enemy.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-22, 10:36 AM
Ugh, another major flaw in the adventure: dragons aren't that impressive in it, there is an entire dungeon that is just dragon after dragon, until you face off against an aspect of Tiamat or whatever it is called, then it is off to the final dungeon!

In short, it makes dragons just another enemy.

Here's a thought...have 1 of each flavor of dragon in a branch off of a central area, and have each guarding a piece of the key for Tiamat. Then, to make the fights unique, have each path be a dungeon in its own right, relating to the dragon in question...

Blue: The path to the Blue dragon has subjective gravity, storm spells, flying creatures, and lightning traps. The fight with the dragon himself is in a tall column of empty space, with storm winds whipping around and lightning striking down from a central column of thunderous energy.
Black: The path to the Black dragon is a flooded, swamp-like dungeon with hanging plants...many of which are poisonous or deadly. Advanced Assassin Vines, Shambling Mounds and the like fill the place, and unknown horrors lurk in the swampy tunnels. The fight with the dragon takes place in a quick-sand like bog, with hallucinatory swamp mists obscuring vision as the dragon strikes from its misty concealment.
Green: The Green dragon's path is a veritable forest, with trees actually growing within the dungeon itself. A host of evil fey and powerful dire animals guard the path. The fight with the dragon itself occurs over and under a large subterranean lake, the dragon both flying above the water and taking refuge (and grappled PCs) under the surface.
Red: The path to the Red dragon is full of flames and elementals, heat radiating off the walls and floor (perhaps dehydration damage). The fight with the dragon takes place in the mouth of a volcano, the PCs hopping from rock to rock and hoping not to be knocked into the fires below.
White: The path to the White dragon is a cold wasteland of deep snow and arctic monsters. Elementals and advanced dire animals lurk within the snow, their white coats blending in until stronger monsters pick up the PCs presence, at which point the hidden menaces swarm them. The fight with the dragon takes place on a frozen lake during a blizzard, reducing movement and visibility for all but the enemy.

Ichneumon
2009-12-22, 01:26 PM
Add your comic adventure to the magazine?

Although that might be a cool idea, I don't think it would fit the format.

Gamerlord
2009-12-22, 02:22 PM
Here's a thought...have 1 of each flavor of dragon in a branch off of a central area, and have each guarding a piece of the key for Tiamat. Then, to make the fights unique, have each path be a dungeon in its own right, relating to the dragon in question...

Blue: The path to the Blue dragon has subjective gravity, storm spells, flying creatures, and lightning traps. The fight with the dragon himself is in a tall column of empty space, with storm winds whipping around and lightning striking down from a central column of thunderous energy.
Black: The path to the Black dragon is a flooded, swamp-like dungeon with hanging plants...many of which are poisonous or deadly. Advanced Assassin Vines, Shambling Mounds and the like fill the place, and unknown horrors lurk in the swampy tunnels. The fight with the dragon takes place in a quick-sand like bog, with hallucinatory swamp mists obscuring vision as the dragon strikes from its misty concealment.
Green: The Green dragon's path is a veritable forest, with trees actually growing within the dungeon itself. A host of evil fey and powerful dire animals guard the path. The fight with the dragon itself occurs over and under a large subterranean lake, the dragon both flying above the water and taking refuge (and grappled PCs) under the surface.
Red: The path to the Red dragon is full of flames and elementals, heat radiating off the walls and floor (perhaps dehydration damage). The fight with the dragon takes place in the mouth of a volcano, the PCs hopping from rock to rock and hoping not to be knocked into the fires below.
White: The path to the White dragon is a cold wasteland of deep snow and arctic monsters. Elementals and advanced dire animals lurk within the snow, their white coats blending in until stronger monsters pick up the PCs presence, at which point the hidden menaces swarm them. The fight with the dragon takes place on a frozen lake during a blizzard, reducing movement and visibility for all but the enemy.
Hmmmm, I can try that, but I'm not sure the software I'm using will be capable of understanding it, I'll try anyway. Also, I don't think any paragon-level dire animals are in 4e.

potatocubed
2009-12-28, 08:02 AM
Do you have a standard template for 4e monster stat blocks? I have dozens I brewed up for my tabletop campaign that I'm willing to throw out for people to look at.

Surgo
2009-12-28, 04:36 PM
Do you have a standard template for 4e monster stat blocks? I have dozens I brewed up for my tabletop campaign that I'm willing to throw out for people to look at.

There's one on the 4e section of my wiki that's pretty easy to use. I don't do 4e myself so I can't help beyond that.

Surgo
2009-12-29, 03:38 PM
Where on earth are all these people who wanted to be balance ninjas? Zero balance replies to Mana-based spellcasting, one reply to the undead stuff (and none after I made changes addressing the issues)...

Gamerlord
2009-12-29, 07:21 PM
So, how is the magazine coming? Anyone still working?
Because I have yet to get back judging on my submissions, and it has been like almost a month.

playswithfire
2009-12-30, 09:03 PM
So, how is the magazine coming? Anyone still working?
Because I have yet to get back judging on my submissions, and it has been like almost a month.

I've been trying to comment on things when I have the time (just spent a couple days in Atlantic City, so no time) and I'll try to get to yours tomorrow. I may not be the best judge of balance, though.

Still waiting to get my computer back, so it'll still be a while before I have much I can contribute; maybe I'll catch issue 2.

imp_fireball
2009-12-30, 09:39 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4342919#post4342919

I don't know if this has already been shown, but it's a house rule sorta thing.

Credit goes to ChumpLump.

Temotei
2009-12-30, 11:45 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4342919#post4342919

I don't know if this has already been shown, but it's a house rule sorta thing.

Credit goes to ChumpLump.

Do you have his permission to post that?

imp_fireball
2009-12-30, 11:51 PM
Do you have his permission to post that?

No, but does it matter?

Temotei
2009-12-31, 12:27 AM
No, but does it matter?

He may not want it on the web, other than on these forums. Just saying. Not many people are going to say, "No! Don't make my work known!" But some will, inevitably. It's fine to link it here so we can look at it and gauge it early on, before it comes into the magazine (if it goes in at all), but before it goes into the magazine, we'll need his permission to take it.

Surgo
2009-12-31, 12:56 AM
For legal reasons, people must submit their own content if it isn't already under the Creative Commons license.

Athaniar
2009-12-31, 05:42 AM
Not that I'm in a hurry or anything, but when will my submission be evaluated?

Realms of Chaos
2010-01-06, 05:44 PM
I made a submission of my own, a base class that I posted a month or two ago and that was quickly forgotten.

I apologize that my opening post is a bit... verbose. I`d edit it but I can`t find the edit button (don`t ask).

Temotei
2010-01-06, 05:51 PM
Once I finish the fluff for the debaser class, I would gladly submit it.

Flarp
2010-01-18, 05:41 PM
Is this still in the works?

Surgo
2010-01-18, 06:22 PM
Well, I had the problem where only about a third of the people who said they wanted to submit actually submitted something, and maybe a fourth of the people who said they were going to edit did any editing.

I can't do the remainder of the work by myself very fast, so if it happens it happens slowly.

lesser_minion
2010-01-18, 06:53 PM
I'll be back in action pretty soon. Sorry about the unannounced break.

Flarp
2010-01-18, 09:41 PM
I'm not very good at making balanced homebrew, but I'd be happy to do a fluff piece or theory piece. What are you lacking that we need more of?

lesser_minion
2010-01-18, 10:06 PM
Fluff and theory pieces of all kinds should be useful.

If you have a concept for a piece of homebrew that you're worried about, then I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person who'd be willing to help you out with it.

Flarp
2010-01-18, 10:16 PM
Excellent - I've got basically no work to do for this entire week, so I'll get on writing that.

I'm toying with the concept of an article about how to make dynamic NPCs - and when and when not to use them.

EDIT: About how many words do you want?

Bhu
2010-01-19, 02:07 AM
I'm finally off work too. I can submit stuff.

lesser_minion
2010-01-19, 08:39 AM
@Flarp: As many as you'd like, I guess. 500 words gives us a short article, while 1200 words should be great, and we can probably handle anything up to 2000 words without trouble.

lesser_minion
2010-02-05, 06:12 PM
OK, 'pretty soon' took two weeks to arrive, annoyingly.

I've grabbed a few pieces of material for review, and I'll see what I can do about getting the results back.

I'm not sure how happy Surgo is to continue with this, but if anyone wants to keep it moving, I don't mind looking through material on the forums and re-tooling it into a submission.

I'd prefer to avoid the Group for now, simply because of the spam. If something better comes up, we could go with that, I guess.

Vaynor
2010-02-05, 08:49 PM
This looks pretty cool, and I'm definitely interested in participating. I can edit if you need, or I can include some of my already made homebrew as a submission (see link in my sig), or even create something new if you guys want.

Edit: I've been working on a lot of material for the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, I could go through all of that, edit it, add a few more things I was planning on adding, and add a bunch more explanatory fluff, and then put it all in as a whole article.

lesser_minion
2010-02-05, 09:18 PM
I know that a lot of people absolutely hated using Google Groups for this - would it be better to take it to Proboards or one of the other forum sites?

In theory, it might even be worth taking it to a hosting site and whacking together a full-blown fanzine. If we get enough material, anyway.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 10:37 PM
I know that a lot of people absolutely hated using Google Groups for this - would it be better to take it to Proboards or one of the other forum sites?

In theory, it might even be worth taking it to a hosting site and whacking together a full-blown fanzine. If we get enough material, anyway.

Temotei's works (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=User:Temotei).

The debaser doesn't have the fluff entered on the wiki, but if you want to see it, it's on the boards. I would guess it's fallen to the bottom of page two, maybe even page three.

lesser_minion
2010-02-05, 11:30 PM
Yes, there is Fax-Wiki, but not everyone who might be interested in submitting material has an account there.

I was thinking of something distinct from both dungeons.wikia.com and wiki.faxcelestis.net really.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 11:31 PM
Yes, there is Fax-Wiki, but not everyone who might be interested in submitting material has an account there.

I was thinking of something distinct from both dungeons.wikia.com and wiki.faxcelestis.net really.

Oh no. I meant you can look at the material there and use it. :smallbiggrin:

lesser_minion
2010-02-06, 12:49 AM
Oh no. I meant you can look at the material there and use it. :smallbiggrin:

OK. I will do.

Lord Loss
2010-02-06, 07:37 AM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but perhaps you could have a section devoted to veteran gamers giving un-veteran gamers tips on Dming/playing. Also, perhaps there could be a few stories about past games (Stuff like PsychoDm and Campaign Logs could go into that category).

My two cents, L.L

Bhu
2010-02-07, 07:21 AM
I put up a lil something at teh google group.