PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Jumping and Difficult Terrain

LibraryOgre
2009-12-14, 10:18 AM
Would you allow someone to jump to avoid the terrain cost of difficult terrain?

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 10:21 AM
If the difficult terrain is caused by something on the ground, yes.

InaVegt
2009-12-14, 10:22 AM

If they can make the jump check... sure.

Remember the rules about running starts and the like, though... it's not as easy as it might seem (for longer distances)

I'd also rule the jump and running start need to be in a straight line.

Yakk
2009-12-14, 10:29 AM
Is the difficult terrain a bunch of brambles extended a good 5' up?

Then no.

Is the difficult terrain a slippery surface, from which the PC does NOT jump, but rather jumps over?

Then yes.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-14, 10:30 AM
So... it WOULD be possible for my warforged to do a flying drop kick across that damnable Icy Terrain...

Yakk
2009-12-14, 10:51 AM
Possibly! It depends if the icy terrain is like a floating blizzard, or an ice slick.

nightwyrm
2009-12-14, 10:58 AM
So... it WOULD be possible for my warforged to do a flying drop kick across that damnable Icy Terrain...

Yes, and that would've been cool.

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 11:07 AM
It's a proven fact that Warforged do 1000% better at navigating icy terrain by jumping around rather than running through it.

Hal
2009-12-14, 11:11 AM
Not only would I allow it, but I would encourage it. I heartily approve of actions that aren't necessarily on the character sheet, and I think that in-combat acrobatics/atheltics checks don't get used often enough.

Of course, after you do it the first time, my monsters are gonna hold actions to pelt you with arrows mid-leap. Sorry, them's the breaks :smallbiggrin:

LibraryOgre
2009-12-14, 11:19 AM
Not only would I allow it, but I would encourage it. I heartily approve of actions that aren't necessarily on the character sheet, and I think that in-combat acrobatics/atheltics checks don't get used often enough.

Of course, after you do it the first time, my monsters are gonna hold actions to pelt you with arrows mid-leap. Sorry, them's the breaks :smallbiggrin:

As I would expect.

Hzurr
2009-12-14, 03:39 PM
Wow...so just when I think our campaign is getting a bit too creepy Japanese Manga-y with the tentacle monsters and all; now we're going to add flying robots to it.

*sigh*

I miss just having you guys kill Goblins...

Kurald Galain
2009-12-14, 03:54 PM

Yes.

Note that the result of this ruling is that difficult terrain becomes mostly irrelevant by the end of heroic tier. Then again, that doesn't strike me as problematic - is a Big Darn Hero really going to be fazed by some junk on the ground?

Thajocoth
2009-12-14, 03:56 PM
Absolutely. On Saturday, in a game I was running, the villain dropped the king over water... Sure, water isn't technically difficult terrain, but you swim at 1/2 your speed. The barbarian rolled to see how much of the water he could leap over to minimize speed halving from swimming. He had 2 squares of a head start and was double-moving. Natural 20. He lept over just enough water to land right next to the king, with enough movement left to swim down 2 squares to where the king was, at the bottom, struggling to get his armor off that he wasn't proficient in to begin with. That was awesome.

I love when players say "Can I do X, which is an awesome thing not on any of my cards?"

Artanis
2009-12-14, 04:00 PM
Wow...so just when I think our campaign is getting a bit too creepy Japanese Manga-y with the tentacle monsters and all; now we're going to add flying robots to it.

*sigh*

Is fighting tentacled robo-goblins an option? :smalltongue:

Kurald Galain
2009-12-14, 04:01 PM

Sure. Have you made your Ninja Zombie Robot character yet? I'm still waiting for the proper paragon path to make him a Pirate as well.

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 04:49 PM
Sure. Have you made your Ninja Zombie Robot character yet? I'm still waiting for the proper paragon path to make him a Pirate as well.

Sword Coast Corsair wasn't enough for you, then?

Hzurr
2009-12-14, 05:06 PM

*weeps openly*

???

Ok, that actually sounds kindof cool...

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-14, 05:11 PM
I may be wrong, but isn't jumping a standard action?

Mando Knight
2009-12-14, 05:13 PM
Jumping is part of a move action (PHB 182).

LibraryOgre
2009-12-15, 12:49 AM

Please note: Optimus Prime has a goal to recreate the warforged race. He has openly speculated about the advantages of using a dwarven body plan, instead of linebacker (lower speed, yes, but better center of gravity; may be able to design in features of dwarven physiology, such as simple to repair systems and good balance... plus, he'd be taller than everyone).

It is possible, in our encounter with the mindflayer, that he will come to conclusions about the usefulness of face tentacles.

Thus, we may see tentacled robo-dwarves in the nearish future.

(And one of our party members is a monk... aka NINJA! So, we're covered).

Sir Homeslice
2009-12-15, 05:41 AM

*sigh*

Why are you sad?

Flying Robots are AWESOME.

Hal
2009-12-15, 06:37 AM

*sigh*

What kind of power bonuses do they get if they spend a round (or more) charging up and screaming loudly?

Jack_Banzai
2009-12-15, 12:03 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing....

Kurald Galain
2009-12-15, 12:03 PM

Ah, I guess I missed that one. Let me guess, FRPG?

LibraryOgre
2009-12-15, 12:05 PM
What kind of power bonuses do they get if they spend a round (or more) charging up and screaming loudly?

Hzurr hates you, now. ;-)

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-15, 01:06 PM
Speaking of crazy jumping:

Barbarian Utility 2 (Tiger's Leap) gives you a +5 to Athletics and lets you jump as far as you roll.

Can you move Speed-1 and then jump on the last square for Xtreme movement?

valadil
2009-12-15, 01:14 PM
If appropriate I'd allow it. The 5' of brambles suggestion would not be passable with a jump.

I'd also punish bad failures. ie, fail by 10 or more and you slip on the ice or your leg gets caught and you lose the rest of your movement getting back up or freeing yourself. I'd do this because if you don't players will bunny hop over all weird terrains, and that just isn't accurate.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-15, 01:16 PM
I'd also punish bad failures. ie, fail by 10 or more and you slip on the ice or your leg gets caught

Given the DCs involved, it's not physically possible for most characters to fail by 10 or more. Just sayin'.

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-15, 01:22 PM
Yes, they may jump as appropriate to the terrain in question... Also, I think people are getting a little conservative with 5ft high thickets of brambles, most of the ones locally are somewhere between that and 10ft.

Also, might be worth having them roll a percentile die to see whether they shake loose any mundane kit whilst jumping (unless they have already stated that everything is firmly secured).

Mando Knight
2009-12-15, 01:26 PM
Speaking of crazy jumping:

Barbarian Utility 2 (Tiger's Leap) gives you a +5 to Athletics and lets you jump as far as you roll.

Can you move Speed-1 and then jump on the last square for Xtreme movement?

No, Tiger's Leap takes up your entire move action, and jumping normally can't exceed your speed.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-15, 01:36 PM
No, Tiger's Leap takes up your entire move action, and jumping normally can't exceed your speed.
Hmm... I can, in fact, see the reading of the rule to work out that way.

Well, I guess I'll have to stop doing it, even though my personal canon of construction is "when in doubt, take the most awesome interpretation of a rule" :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2009-12-15, 02:04 PM
That way lies Footwork Lure sliding the target 300 squares before ending up in the proper position. And that way lies errata nixing that idea.