PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic

Fastmover
2009-12-16, 11:14 AM
Hey guys,

I was wondering, is there a feat out there that can turn my ray into say an Orb, Cone, or Expanding Blast? I thought I had seen a feat some place that changed how a spell ended up, but I think I might have been imagining. Anyone able to help?

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 11:15 AM
You might be mistaking the effects of scult spell from complete arcane.

Fastmover
2009-12-16, 11:29 AM
You might be mistaking the effects of scult spell from complete arcane.

Hmm... it seems to say... "an area spell..."

Well crap. So it doesn't effect rays huh.

Is there a way to make a touch spell into then say an orb? Then Sculpt spell may work.

OMG PONIES
2009-12-16, 11:34 AM
Does the Archmage's Mastery of Shaping high arcana affect rays?

valadil
2009-12-16, 11:38 AM
Does the Archmage's Mastery of Shaping high arcana affect rays?
Short answer, no.

Long answer:

Mastery of Shaping

The archmage can alter area and effect spells that use one of the following shapes: burst, cone, cylinder, emanation, or spread. The alteration consists of creating spaces within the spell’s area or effect that are not subject to the spell. The minimum dimension for these spaces is a 5-foot cube. Furthermore, any shapeable spells have a minimum dimension of 5 feet instead of 10 feet. This ability costs one 6th-level spell slot.

Gensh
2009-12-16, 02:06 PM
I don't specifically remember a feat like that, but using Mutants and Masterminds for reference, changing a ray to any given area would probably have around a +4 modifier and would replace the attack roll with a reflex save.

kemmotar
2009-12-16, 02:11 PM
well if you insist on having a ray affect more people then you can twin and split ray it. Else, rays are usually powerful spells which is why they shouldn't affect an area. Of course this also means that you're going to have some trouble having a useful ray spell twinned and split without metamagic reducers...

Fastmover
2009-12-16, 02:45 PM
Hmm... I guess you guys are right then. I'll have to forget about it. Thanks all for your help.

Optimystik
2009-12-16, 03:09 PM
Spellwarp Sniper can turn area spells into rays, but not the other way around.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-16, 04:51 PM
What, it's not been said? fine:

I never meta magic I didn't like!
:biggrin:

...Stop looking at me like that.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-16, 11:08 PM
There are several magic items made for beholders' eye rays that normal casters can use as foci (for a certain number of uses) to manipulate ray spells. The lens of ray chaining is effectively Chain Spell, the lens of ray doubling is effectively Split Ray, and the lens of ray extending is effectively Enlarge Spell. The lens of ray widening is exactly what you're looking for:

Lens of Ray Widening: This magic lens functions as a lens of ray chaining, except that it instead widens any ray shot through it into a cone-shaped effect. The user no longer rolls to hit a target with the ray. Instead, any creatures caught in the cone-shaped area must make a DC 15 Reflex save to avoid the effect of the ray entirely. Each target in the area that fails to save is affected as if struck fully by the ray. This widening magic dilutes the original strength of the ray; creatures affected by the cone gain a +2 bonus on any saving throws made to resist or negate the actual effect of the ray. When widened, rays that normally affect objects (such as a disintegrate ray) now affect only creatures, unless the ray deals some form of energy damage, in which case objects automatically make their saving throw against the damage caused by the attack.

Strong universal; CL 15th; Craft Wondrous Item; Price 32,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

The relevant section of the lens of ray chaining:

A spellcaster can use a lens of ray chaining as an additional focus component to chain a ray spell as long as he holds the lens in one hand. A lens of ray chaining shatters into ruin after it is used nine times.

I could easily see turning the lens's effects into a feat, though the cost in prerequisites and spell levels would depend on how exactly the feat ends up working.

Siosilvar
2009-12-16, 11:11 PM
What, it's not been said? fine:

I never meta magic I didn't like!
:biggrin:

...Stop looking at me like that.
To steal a shtick...

YOUR HEAD CUT OFF.