PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Witch Doctor

DizzyD
2009-12-17, 09:29 AM
So I have this character concept but I am not sure if its possible without altering a little class fluff, most likely the Artificer class, but maybe a wizard or druid would work as well. It might take altering a spell list as well. The concept is that of a Witch Doctor. He would be a caster type character, but instead of casting he brews potions and oils that have the effects he wants. I don’t need a lot of possible spells/potions, but I was hoping for some healing some damage and maybe some enhancement type abilities. By enhancement I’m thinking poison tipped darts. That’s the other thing, I was hoping he could use a blowgun. It just works with the image in my head.

I really like the mechanics of the Artificer, but the spell list has very few infusions that match the character concept. Most of them focus on constructs, which is understandable but not what I want. I think the druids spell list is more of what I’m looking for. I would rather have the character more nature oriented magic than arcane so the druid makes since, but even the druids spell list lacks some of the damage dealing spells. Now that I think of it a cleric spell list might work well. If I’m not mistaken, it has decent damage dealing spells like fireball (which would make an awesome potion) and the healing spells I would need.

The game I’m currently in is a Dawnforge campaign so the characters are definitely powerful. I’ve already ran the idea by the DM and he seems interested in it. In the game each character has a special Item that the DM has customized for us. I was thinking about a mobile lab type item. Like a rope trick that was a lab inside. In Dawnforge, all the races have special abilities. Some of them have a special ability that makes them require less sleep. I was thinking that while the others were forced to sleep, the Witch Doctor would stay up brewing his potions for the next night. All just fluff…
Anyway, I’m looking for suggestions. Please help

P.S. Other than druid, I have never played a caster before. Typically not my style, but this character concept seems really cool to me. So… If you could reference any content for your ideas so I can take a look at them. I have access to most of the 3.5 library. Thanks!

BooNL
2009-12-17, 09:33 AM
You could easily refluff spells as using potions.

A prepared caster (wizard, druid, clerc, etc.) has to select spells every morning and expends them as the day progresses. You could say your character spends an hour each morning brewing potions, ready to be consumed or thrown that day.

Alchemy rules in 3.5 are pretty wonky, there's some nice stuff there but most of it doesn't scale well.

Zom B
2009-12-17, 09:52 AM
Please tell me you have class abilities called Oo ee oo ah ah, Ting tang, and Walla walla bing bang.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-17, 10:36 AM
Sounds like the concept may work better as a prestige class.
though my vision of a witch doctor and yours may be different.

I would suggest looking at the alchemist spell vial class out of magic of ebberon( i belive (refluffed of course)) and starting with a base of Spirit shaman (with potentialy a different list) if you use the Spell compendium the druid spell list gets a few more good dmg spells.

If your looking for a good shamanistic style full caster Spirit shaman is a great class... easily refluffed into what you want...
All you would need to change is the ghost busting powers... and call your spirit guide or Mojo/JuJu.

Pluto
2009-12-17, 10:37 AM
Anyway, I’m looking for suggestions. Please help.

I'm doing something similar and it sounds like you're off to a good start.

It shouldn't break anything to switch the Artificer's focus on equipment to something like the Cleric's. Spell lists are maleable (see the Witch in the DMG). And even that won't especially matter with an Artificer (you'll still have access to every spell list in the game via spell trigger and spell completion items).

Djinn in Tonic wrote some alternate alchemy rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75871) that I've been using pretty heavily with my character. I think they do a pretty good job scaling alchemical items with level.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-17, 10:38 AM
I'm doing something similar and it sounds like you're off to a good start.

It shouldn't break anything to switch the Artificer's focus on equipment to something like the Cleric's. Spell lists are maleable (see the Witch in the DMG). And even that won't especially matter with an Artificer (you'll still have access to every spell list in the game via spell trigger and spell completion items).

Djinn in Tonic wrote some alternate alchemy rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75871) that I've been using pretty heavily with my character. I think they do a pretty good job scaling alchemical items with level.
actualy that brings up a good point look at the witch spell list in DMG i thionk it may fit pritty well.

DizzyD
2009-12-17, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the witches spell list and I don't think I like it. Form altering and charm spells isn't really what I'm looking for, and that seems to be what the Witch focuses on. I guess I should give a little description of what my idea of a witch doctor is.

In short, My idea of a witch doctor is someone who knows the power of "dark magic" but uses it for good. Does that make since?

After glancing over most of the spell lists, I think that the cleric spell list shows the most potential. Its got allot of what I want. And a little delve into necromancy might be an interesting addition.

Farther suggestions are welcome.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-17, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at the witches spell list and I don't think I like it. Form altering and charm spells isn't really what I'm looking for, and that seems to be what the Witch focuses on. I guess I should give a little description of what my idea of a witch doctor is.

In short, My idea of a witch doctor is someone who knows the power of "dark magic" but uses it for good. Does that make since?

After glancing over most of the spell lists, I think that the cleric spell list shows the most potential. Its got allot of what I want. And a little delve into necromancy might be an interesting addition.

Farther suggestions are welcome.

Have you thought about refluffing a warlock? judging by your description it may be more of what your looking.

Optimystik
2009-12-17, 12:20 PM
Or Dragonfire Adept - you still use invocations, but can fluff the breath weapon by drinking some concoction beforehand. Heck, you could even really drink something and think that's where your powers are coming from, when in reality the power was within you all along.

DizzyD
2009-12-17, 12:25 PM
Invocations are out... My DM despises them...

Optimystik
2009-12-17, 12:30 PM
Invocations are out... My DM despises them...

Use Dragon Shaman (PHB2) then, who gets auras instead.

Draz74
2009-12-17, 12:40 PM
Heh. "Knows the power of dark magic but uses it for good" -- sounds like the exact reason Dread Necromancer would be allowed to be non-Evil (Neutral).