Level: Wizard/Sorcerer 9, Cleric 9,
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One Living Creature with Int 3 or greater
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: See text
Spell Resistance:No

The targeted creature is shown, in excruciating detail, their exact position and significance in the universe. This reduces all but the strongest to gibbering wrecks, recognizing their own powerlessness.

The targeted creature makes a makes a Charisma Check vs dc 23, with a bonus on the check equal to their Wisdom Penalty, or a Penalty on the check equal to their Wisdom Bonus.

If successful, the target is stunned for one round, though a fort save negates this effect.

If the target fails, it takes sufficient Wisdom and Charisma burn to set those stat's to 0.

Focus: A detailed map.

I saw the idea in an old thread, and decided to make it. Really not sure on the balance.

Milskidasith
2009-12-18, 01:07 AM
It's a decent spell, considering it knocks you comatose, and it manages to capture the spirit of the vortex. Then again, being a single target save or die at ninth level, it might need a little beefing up in terms of DC.

Tavar
2009-12-18, 01:18 AM
True enough...

Perhaps change the will save into a Cha check, with a bonus or penalty based on one's Int. DC 23?

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 01:23 AM
Shouldn't the focus be a single slice of fairy cake? :smallbiggrin:

Tavar
2009-12-18, 01:24 AM
Shouldn't the focus be a single slice of fairy cake? :smallbiggrin:

I'm sorry, I don't get the reference.

cha0s4a11
2009-12-18, 01:39 AM

The original "Total Perspective Vortex" was a device in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. It was originally designed to extrapolate the structure of the universe from a piece of cake and provide a comprehensive and utterly detailed representation of that universe to the person using it.

Unfortunately, that model showed everything, including the user, to scale and well.... this is pretty much the result.

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 01:39 AM

... Really? Wow, r-really? But you're spell is just like it! Down to the name! It's from the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy books (can't remember if it's the second or the third...). The Total Perspective Vortex is a device that shows a creature how infinitely small it is in the universe with a big map of reality, several smaller magnified maps of reality, and a red arrow that says 'You are here.' It's powered by a single piece of fairy cake. Just... wow. Talk about convergent evolution.

EDIT: Damn! Ninja'd!

Tavar
2009-12-18, 01:40 AM
Ah, I know the source, I just didn't remember that the device was powered by a piece of fairy cake.

The Tygre
2009-12-18, 01:43 AM
Ah, I know the source, I just didn't remember that the device was powered by a piece of fairy cake.

Ah. Then sir, I do appear a fool.

Mongoose87
2009-12-18, 02:14 AM
Personally, I'd make the penalty based on Wisdom, not intelligence. Zaphod's never struck me as dumb, just rash in the extreme.

Tavar
2009-12-18, 09:27 AM
Good point. I think my original intention was to leave Wisdom out of it because I was already changing the will save formula, but if it's a check instead....

Lapak
2009-12-18, 09:32 AM
You also don't have to take Zaphod as a model for who should and should not make the save. Remember, it wasn't anything inherent to him that caused him to survive.

Tavar
2009-12-18, 10:10 AM
True, but it also gives a nice twist to the spell. Plus, it's not like changing it from Int to Wisdom really changes much.