PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Weirdass Scenario

Stormlock
2009-12-19, 03:13 AM
What do you think would occur if a staff of power were broken inside an antimagic field, and then either removed from the field or the field dismissed/dispelled?

If figure either it could (boringly) do nothing and act as a nonmagical chunk of wood the entire time, or explode fantastically the instant it leaves the field, making for an excellent weapon for anoyone possessing a staff, an antimagic field, and a throwing arm.

sonofzeal
2009-12-19, 03:15 AM
Eh..... as much as I'd like it to be fun, I'm 95% sure nothing happens. DM could houserule otherwise, though.

Gralamin
2009-12-19, 03:19 AM
Well, it's powerful enough to punch a hole in a plane to the Astral Plane. And last time I checked, you could teleport in an antimagic field (I think? I don't remember the dumb intracities of what applies), which already brings you to the Astral Plane. So I'd likely allow it to work for consistency, but I'm unsure how things would really work.

Stormlock
2009-12-19, 03:20 AM
If it were me I might just houserule the staff kicks the AMF's ass. I always wanted to play a wizard that gets swallowed by a dragon and then breaks a staff inside it's guts. Definition of blaze of glory imo.:smallcool:

Keld Denar
2009-12-19, 03:26 AM
I believe there is a section in the DMG that describes artifacts as being transcendant of mortal magic. You can't just cast Dispel Magic on an artifact to supress it for a couple rounds, and you can't just destroy it by normal means.

Thus, Staff of Power is probably not even affected by AMF. You couldn't cast the spells through it, as the spells would be supressed, but the fact that its still a Staff of Power wouldn't be supressed, which would mean it would still explode in a retributive strike just fine.

Roc Ness
2009-12-19, 03:28 AM
Actually, the staff of power isn't an artifact. I think your talking about the staff of magi.