PDA

View Full Version : (3.5 Base Class) Twister of the Elements

Setra
2009-12-20, 03:20 AM
Alright, this is basically trying to make sense of one of my freeform rp characters. Technically speaking he's magelike, but he doesn't really cast spells so much as use elements. He also tends to fight in melee, so this should be fun.

Twister of the Elements
Hit Die: D8
Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Twister is proficient with all simple and martial weapons. He is also proficient with light and medium armor.
Class Skills: Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Spot, Survival, Swim, Use Magic Device
A Twister of the Elements gains 4+int skill points (x4 at first level)
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+1|
+2|Elemental Shots

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+1|
+3|Lightning Speed

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+2|
+3|Cool as Ice

4th|
+4|
+1|
+2|
+4|Hot Tempered

5th|
+5|
+1|
+3|
+4|Improved Shots

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+3|
+5|-

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+3|
+5|-

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+4|
+6|Evasion

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+4|
+6|

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+5|
+7|Greater Shots

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+5|
+7|Quickened Shots

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+6|
+8|Dextrous Evasion

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+6|
+8|Elemental Weapon

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+6|
+9|Improved Evasion

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+7|
+9|Magnificent Shots

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+7|
+10|-

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+8|
+10|-

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+8|
+11|-

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+8|
+11|Improved Elemental Weapon

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+9|
+12|Perfected Shots[/table]

Elemental Shots:
Fire: Fires out a sphere of fire that inflicts damage in a 20ft radius spread. It does 1d4 per Twister level and can be used Once Per Encounter. Reflex half.
Ice: Fires out a cone of ice that inflicts damage at a range of 60ft. It deals 1d4 per Twister level. Can be used Once Per Day. Reflex half.
Lightning: Inflicts electric damage in a 120ft. line, 1d4 per Twister level. Can be used once per encounter. Reflex half.

The save for any of these shots and any abilities the gain is 10+1/2 Twister level+con mod

Upgraded Shots
Fire increases in damage at levels 5, 10, and 15. From 1d4 per level to 1d6 per level, 1d10 per level, then finally 2d6 per level. At 20th level Fire Shot becomes incredibly intense, becoming able to bypass the effects of Evasion and Improved Evasion.

Each upgrade increases the number of times Fire Shot can be used per encounter. Two times at 5th, Three times at 10th, Four Times at 15th, and at level 20 it can be used 5 times per encounter.

Ice gains additional abilities at 5, 10, 15, and 20.
5: Targets who fail reflex save must make a Fort save or act as if Slow was cast on them.
10: Targets who fail reflex save must make a fort save or act as if under the effects of Freeze Armor (-6 to attack rolls, -8 to any dex related ability, casting a spell requires a Concentration check equal to 15+spell level, and the target cannot move)
15: Targets who fail the reflex save take 1d6 damage to both dex and int
20: Targets who fail the reflex save must make a fort save or be turned into ice, as if Flesh to Ice were cast on them.

At each upgrade, Ice Shot can be used an additional time per day.

Lightning gains additional abilities at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.
5: Targets who fail their reflex save must make a fort save or be subject to temporary blindness, this lasts an equal number of rounds as your caster level.
10: Targets who fail their reflex save must make a fort save or be subject to paralysis, this effect lasts an equal number of rounds equal to half your caster level.
15: The power of your lightning has been enhanced, it now deals 2d6 damage per level, and any creature killed by this spell is left as a pile of dust.
20: The speed of your lightning increases, doubling the reflex save needed to avoid it.

Lightning Speed: You gain a permanent +1 to your reflex saves. In addition, once per day you may cast Haste on yourself (CL equal to your Twister level)

Cool as Ice: You gain a permanent +1 to your will saves. In addition, you gain +4 to saves against fear.

Hot Tempered: When attacking an enemy who has attacked you within the last 5 rounds, you gain +5 damage at the cost of -1 to hit.

Evasion: If a Twister makes a reflex save against a spell, it no longer does damage against you. This ability can only be used with light or no armor, and if you are not helpless.

Quickened Shots: Once per encounter, you may use one of your shot spells as a swift action.

Dextrous Evasion: Your dexterity has grown as such that you may use evasion even in medium armor.

Elemental Weapons: You may form a single weapon from an element, this weapon is weightless and can be any size. As long as you are proficient with the base weapon you may use this weapon regardless of its new size. As well, the weapon deals an additional 1d6 damage per Twister level, of the type that you formed the element from. This weapon lasts for a number of rounds equal to your character level. You may not form ranged weapons or ammunition with this ability.

This ability can be used a number of times a day equal to your con modifier.

Improved Evasion: You now take only half damage on a failed reflex save, and still take no damage on a successful one.

Improved Elemental Weapons:
Whenever you form a weapon out of an element, they gain the same type of bonus on hit as the level 5 ability of shots. Fire does more damage, ice can slow, and lightning can blind.

This class isn't finished, but I've run out of ideas for good skills. The general idea is Blaster that also Blasts with weapons. Suggestions?

Milskidasith
2009-12-20, 03:27 AM
This is poorly worded. Just beginning, it says that your constitution modifier limits you, but it doesn't say how much it limits you. Then, it says that fire is 1d6 per twister level, and later says it advances (absurdly slowly) as you go in level, so I don't know which, unless you meant it deals 3*leveld10 damage at level 20, which is pretty absurd.

Setra
2009-12-20, 03:29 AM
This is poorly worded. Just beginning, it says that your constitution modifier limits you, but it doesn't say how much it limits you. Then, it says that fire is 1d6 per twister level, and later says it advances (absurdly slowly) as you go in level, so I don't know which, unless you meant it deals 3*leveld10 damage at level 20, which is pretty absurd.
Yeah the wording is definitely gonna be horrible, I'll need to reword it.. It's 3 AM and I'm feeling "creative". This generally sends my friends screaming.

In general I've always been told Blasters aren't as powerful as Utility casters (and I realize a Wizard will still destroy this character) so I figured the best way to keep it powerful would be to do absurd damage... in hindsight it is a bit much.

Edit: Cut it down to 2d6 per level, and gave it the ability to bypass evasion... the logic being that it's so hot it'll still deal half damage on a successful save due to ... that word I can't think of that means standing next to lava will still kill you. (Edit: Convection, that's the word)

Edit Edit: The part about the con limiting use (under shots) was from an ability I deleted and I missed that part.. the Shots have their own uses, though the Elemental Weapon is limited by con.. though hopefully it's clear enough on how that limits it.

Temotei
2009-12-21, 05:38 PM
Are the elemental shots supernatural abilities? You should specify each ability's type. Also, I think it's bad design to make the upgraded version bypass both evasion and improved evasion. I'd say just evasion would be enough...or maybe it could make them a "level" lower for the purposes of this ability.

Example: Level 20 twister of the elements uses his fire shot against a rogue with improved evasion. The fire shot burns so intensely and thickly that the rogue has a lesser chance of moving out of the way (improved evasion becomes evasion).

Also, separate the improved shots and perfected shots abilities. They should each have their own entry.

Work on that wording. I'm feeling lazy right now...otherwise I'd help with that.