PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Advice for Dread Necro BBEG?

Arakune
2009-12-21, 09:13 AM
I already know about the guides, but what about your personal choice?

Planing to go Dread Necro 20 for the extra undead and quasi-lichdom.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-21, 11:19 AM
I'd be tempted to include 20 toad skeletons in your Undead Army of Doom and use them for quasi-nanobot bonuses.

Ponce
2009-12-21, 11:38 AM
Toads don't have an attack. I'm not sure they can Aid Another in that sense, by RAW.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-21, 11:44 AM
Toads don't have an attack. I'm not sure they can Aid Another in that sense, by RAW.

That's a shame. I guess we'd have to upgrade to tiny creatures. Too bad though, since we can't fit as many of them in the enemy's square.

Arakune
2009-12-21, 11:46 AM
One funny thing I noticed: Dread Necros don't have Dimensional Anchor or Magic Circle against X, but they have the planar binding line spells...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-21, 11:49 AM
The Corpsecrafter line of feats in Libris Mortis is good to have, especially Destruction Retribution. Make the climactic confrontation occur in a room with a sand or loose dirt floor, or outside with the ground covered in leaves, or something similar. There should be dozens of undead zombies lying in wait, hidden just beneath the surface, preferably animated from something with a lot of HD that's not too big like Skullcrusher Ogres or Ambush Drakes. There should also be some flying zombies lurking overhead, probably Ambush Drakes again. They'll all have an action readied to leap upon the PCs when the order is given. They don't even need to pose much of a threat, just get in the way and soak up attacks. Destruction Retribution makes them explode with negative energy when destroyed, so the higher their HD the better.

If he's going to be a Lich, be sure he performs the ritual in the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present, and be sure to give him the benefits of his own Undead Mastery and Corpsecrafter feats. I'd give him Quicken Spell and Rapid Metamagic, as well as Versatile Spellcaster and Residual Magic. He should have a Ghostly Visage familiar which is always manifest over his face so they have to save vs paralysis every round, and it can spend a standard action each round to force a target to make the save again or be paralyzed. He should start out with Quickened Greater Dispel Magic and probably Waves of Exhaustion, and then another Quickened Greater Dispel Magic with Acid Fog. After that he can focus Maximized Split Ray Enervations and Quickened Blindness on anyone who gets out of the fog. They'll probably try to take out the zombies quickly and get a nasty surprise for it, hopefully his dispels will take down any protections they have from negative energy. Give him a few pieces of the Raiment of the Four set so he can use Freedom of Movement and Teleport if needed.

Arakune
2009-12-21, 12:00 PM
The Corpsecrafter line of feats in Libris Mortis is good to have, especially Destruction Retribution. Make the climactic confrontation occur in a room with a sand or loose dirt floor, or outside with the ground covered in leaves, or something similar. There should be dozens of undead zombies lying in wait, hidden just beneath the surface, preferably animated from something with a lot of HD that's not too big like Skullcrusher Ogres or Ambush Drakes. There should also be some flying zombies lurking overhead, probably Ambush Drakes again. They'll all have an action readied to leap upon the PCs when the order is given. They don't even need to pose much of a threat, just get in the way and soak up attacks. Destruction Retribution makes them explode with negative energy when destroyed, so the higher their HD the better.

Nice, but that strategy will go for the secondary BBnotsoevilG when the PCs invade his sanctum. Ideally.

If he's going to be a Lich, be sure he performs the ritual in the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present, and be sure to give him the benefits of his own Undead Mastery and Corpsecrafter feats. I'd give him Quicken Spell and Rapid Metamagic, as well as Versatile Spellcaster and Residual Magic. He should have a Ghostly Visage familiar which is always manifest over his face so they have to save vs paralysis every round, and it can spend a standard action each round to force a target to make the save again or be paralyzed. He should start out with Quickened Greater Dispel Magic and probably Waves of Exhaustion, and then another Quickened Greater Dispel Magic with Acid Fog. After that he can focus Maximized Split Ray Enervations and Quickened Blindness on anyone who gets out of the fog. They'll probably try to take out the zombies quickly and get a nasty surprise for it, hopefully his dispels will take down any protections they have from negative energy. Give him a few pieces of the Raiment of the Four set so he can use Freedom of Movement and Teleport if needed.

Can you benefit of your own undead mastery and corpse crafter feats? I'm planning to get undead leadership for some cultists, too.

Quicken, Corpsecraft, Destruction Retribution, Versatile Spellcaster, Residual Magic, Rapid Metamagic, Maximize spell, Split Ray. What I should drop for undead leadership? Can I put nimble bones in that?

TheCountAlucard
2009-12-21, 04:46 PM
Might I recommend tossing on Evolved Undead at least once? Boost strength and charisma, gain a spell-like ability, and fast healing 1 each time you take it? Count me in! :smalltongue:

Tiktakkat
2009-12-21, 05:36 PM
Mother Cyst, Fell Animate, Destructive Retribution

Put one "helpless prisoner" with a necrotic cyst in a room, surrounded by tons of tiny creatures with an attack, lizards say, with some fun incorporeal undead hiding nearby.
When the PCs come to free him, use fell animate necrotic eruption on said prisoner. (This is a base 9th level spell.
He blows up (barring getting a 20 on his save), causing 15d6 damage to everyone within 20 feet.
The PCs mostly likely survive, but the lizards are doomed.
They immediately animate.
The incorpeal undead wafts out.
The PC cleric turns him. Naturally, he affects the 2 HD lizards first.
They blow up, causing 2d6 damage per lizard affected to every PC within 10 feet of said lizard. (Necrotic eruption being a necromancy spell, fell animate having turned them undead, they qualify for destructive retribution.)
They do not kill any other lizard, leaving the rest to charge boldy to their doom, gnawing on the PCs every round until killed, releasing their 2d6 damage.

It should likely only work once, after which the players will not take a step without negative energy protection, or blow up your undead at close quarters, but that one time should be worth more than a few Evil DM chuckles.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-21, 06:26 PM
Don't forget to give him two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm). If the PCs are able to use flaws, I'll typically just give important NPCs/villains two extra feats, since most flaws that PCs take have little affect on their character anyway. Corpsecrafter and Undead Mastery are similar enough that you could use Undead Mastery as a substitute for Corpsecrafter in fulfilling prerequisites to save one feat. Villains don't need feats like Leadership or Undead Leadership, say he gained the benefits of it through RP without spending a feat on it.

Dusk Eclipse
2009-12-21, 06:40 PM
If he isn't already a lich by the time the PC face him you can try to do this.
Normally ALL Dread Necro's choose tomb tainted soul as a feat for unlimited healing right? well if this one does'nt choose it when the Party cleric tries a heal on him for tons of damage BOOM instant healing for the BBEG. you can make him disguise as an undead so the PC's try this.