PDA

View Full Version : I See Red [3.5 Feat, PEACH]

Fortuna
2009-12-21, 11:08 PM
I See Red [Rage]
Prerequisites: Ability to Rage, Con 17
Benefit: Whenever you are under the effects of a status effect that permits or permitted a saving throw, you may expend a daily use of rage as an immediate action to make a new saving throw with a +5 morale bonus. If you succeed, then the effect is ended and you enter a rage. This ability is used at your discretion, even while under the effects of a dominate or charm spell.

How does that look? Too powerful? Too weak?

Surgo
2009-12-21, 11:17 PM
Too powerful / too weak compared to what?

Apalala
2009-12-22, 06:20 AM
Compared to natural spell, weaksauce. Compared to toughness, omghax.

Latronis
2009-12-22, 06:27 AM
Half all effects?

+2 Str, +2 Con, +1 Will Saves, -1 AC?

What about Duration? Only effected by new Con?

Does this allow you to enter the mini-rage and get around the only once per encounter proviso?

Eloel
2009-12-22, 06:53 AM
Half all effects?

+2 Str, +2 Con, +1 Will Saves, -1 AC?

What about Duration? Only effected by new Con?

Does this allow you to enter the mini-rage and get around the only once per encounter proviso?

half again the usual effects

It's, I think, 1.5x effects...

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-22, 07:38 AM
I think its pretty balanced. Considering 19 Constitution will not be very sought after for most barabarians. Usually its strength for them, so it will be difficult for them to get.

Zom B
2009-12-22, 08:03 AM
I'm seeing a few avenues where this could be abused.

Round 1: Drink DC 11 poison, willingly fail Fort save.
Round 2: Activate this feat. You were going to use a Rage usage anyway, so not like you're wasting a use of rage. Since your Con is 19, you'd have to roll a 5 as a first-level barbarian. Oh, wait, no, you get a +5 bonus on the roll, so you can only fail on a 1.
The poison dealt with, your Rage you were going to use anyway is now at 1.5x effectiveness.

I think it would be fine to either have the barbarian not enter a rage at all afterwards (use a rage to 'power through' the effects), or to enter a normal rage, but for half duration (since most of their energy was expended in battling the affliction).

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-22, 08:11 AM
Can you actually willingly fail a save? I can understand reflex failure, and maybe will, I guess. But Fortitude? That's supposed to represent your body's natural antibodies at work, right? You have to be some supermonk to have that much control over your body.:smalleek:

Zom B
2009-12-22, 08:28 AM
Interesting. I can only find reference to voluntarily failing saving throws against spells in the SRD. I thought you could willingly fail any save.

A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result. Even a character with a special resistance to magic can suppress this quality.

Either way, the concept still stands. Get the most uncharismatic sorcerer you can find and have them cast Flare on you every combat.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-22, 08:37 AM
Well they did spend the time to get 19 consitution rather than strength and a feat for it. Modifying the bonuses by half shouldn't be too much of a buff.

DaTedinator
2009-12-22, 09:26 AM
No, that sort of logic would work if it was, say, Charisma or something - some sort of feat to make a normally low-priority ability score be useful - but Constitution is useful for everyone, especially the stereotypically low-AC Barbarians.

It's the half again the normal effects that is really the thing breaking this feat. I think just forcing them to go into a rage to get the benefits is fine. It's nice because, hey, rage, but not as nice because if you want the benefits, you can't save your rage for a different opportunity.

paddyfool
2009-12-22, 11:13 AM
As said before, this is a fine feat aside from the 1.5x boost to the effects of rage. Standard rage alone should be fine for this. And with standard rage, you could make it a little more accessible - Con 17+, say.

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 12:30 PM
Alright then, I have taken that advice.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-22, 12:44 PM
One thing I noticed is there is practically no reason for a barbarian not to set himself up for a situation to always use this feat. There are a few marginally useful buff spells that could be dropped down on him (which technically offer saves) that he could then later negate and gain more strength than usual. One possible alteration is to force the user of the feat to burn two daily uses of rage instead of just one, instead.

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 12:46 PM
I just fixed that... It now only grants normal rage effects.

Zeta Kai
2009-12-22, 01:06 PM
I just fixed that... It now only grants normal rage effects.

In that case, I think it is a balanced & useful feat. And [Rage] feats are inherently awesome; it's like metaRage. :smallcool:

For the record, the VUACS project has 6 [Rage] feats, but none are like this.

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 01:30 PM
Yay! I am always happy when I try my hand at something new and it comes out well.

Latronis
2009-12-22, 08:58 PM
In that case, I think it is a balanced & useful feat. And [Rage] feats are inherently awesome; it's like metaRage. :smallcool:

For the record, the VUACS project has 6 [Rage] feats, but none are like this.

Metarage feats sound surprisingly awesome

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 04:32 AM
OK, I will add another Rage feat, because I can. Incidentally, I am drawing the names for all of these from one specific source - the first person to get it gets a cookie.

One Step Ahead[Rage]
Your anger fuels your reactions, keeping you that little bit ahead of everyone else.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+, ability to Rage
Benefits: While raging, you gain a +4 bonus to initiative. This increases to +8 when the Mighty Rage ability is gained.

Latronis
2009-12-23, 05:04 AM
names of songs from an old music band?

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 05:09 AM
Which one?

Latronis
2009-12-23, 05:11 AM
Well I Didn't wanna say incase i was wrong but Split Enz

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 12:54 PM
Your cookie, sir.[/bad English accent]

Zaydos
2009-12-23, 01:56 PM
How would this even work though? How often do you begin battle already raging, besides until 20th level Improved Initiative is better. Would it boost your initiative midbattle? That's kind of complicated and lack-luster (and imp init is still better).

Milskidasith
2009-12-23, 02:11 PM
Here's how I can see it:

One Step Ahead[Rage]
Your anger fuels your reactions, keeping you that little bit ahead of everyone else.
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15+, ability to Rage
Benefits: At the start of combat, you may begin raging as an immediate action (that can be taken flat footed). If you rage in this way, you gain a +6 penalty to initiative; this increases to +12 whenever you gain Mighty Rage.

That way, you get a bigger initiative boost than improved initiative, but you have to burn your first rounds swift action and start raging immediately, even if that limits it's effectiveness.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 02:30 PM
That works, thanks.

Latronis
2009-12-23, 07:20 PM
Message To My Girl[Rage]
Your barely checked emotions allow you to send a quick message whenever you rage
Prerequisites: Charisma 15+, ability to Rage
Benefits: Whenever you enter a rage you may send a message to anyone on the same plane with whom you maintain an intimate relationship, as per the sending spell with a caster level equal to your character level from a class that grants the rage ability.

>_>

Fortuna
2009-12-30, 08:32 PM
I Don't Know Why Sometimes I Get Frightened [Rage]
Your rage allows you to, somehow, forget your fear.
Prerequisites: Ability to rage, Wis 7-
Benefits: While raging, any saves against fear that you make use your Wisdom modifier times minus one, instead of your Wisdom modifier, for determining your bonus.

Because I felt like reviving it, and am currently listening to the Enz on my iPod.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-30, 10:58 PM
you gain a +6 penalty to initiative; this increases to +12 whenever you gain Mighty Rage.

+6 penalty made me lol

Temotei
2009-12-30, 11:06 PM
+6 penalty made me lol

:smallbiggrin: Nice catch.

Drolyt
2009-12-31, 12:58 AM
I Don't Know Why Sometimes I Get Frightened [Rage]
Your rage allows you to, somehow, forget your fear.
Prerequisites: Ability to rage, Wis 7-
Benefits: While raging, any saves against fear that you make use your Wisdom modifier times minus one, instead of your Wisdom modifier, for determining your bonus.

Because I felt like reviving it, and am currently listening to the Enz on my iPod.

I'm confused. This feat essentially reverses your wisdom modifier for fear effects? Very situational, no one would ever use it. Maybe if it also worked once per rage against any effect that allowed a will save I would consider using it, but even though fear effects can be powerful this is just too situational to ever use. I enjoy the naming scheme though. :)

Temotei
2009-12-31, 01:06 AM
I'm confused. This feat essentially reverses your wisdom modifier for fear effects? Very situational, no one would ever use it. Maybe if it also worked once per rage against any effect that allowed a will save I would consider using it, but even though fear effects can possible this is just too situational to ever use. I enjoy the naming scheme though. :)

I think it should just be constant.

Fortuna
2010-01-01, 12:37 AM
History Never Repeats [Rage]
Your mistakes in the grip of bloodlust are never forgotten.
Prerequisites: Ability to rage, Intelligence 9+
Benefits: Whenever you are hit while raging, you no longer take a penalty to armor class due to your rage for the next round.

Latronis
2010-01-01, 01:21 AM
History Never Repeats [Rage]
Your mistakes in the grip of bloodlust are never forgotten.
Prerequisites: Ability to rage, Intelligence 9+
Benefits: Whenever you are hit while raging, you no longer take a penalty to armor class due to your rage for the next round.

Even if it applied for the remainder of the rage it's a fairly small to burn a feat on