PDA

View Full Version : Church Inquisitor and Inspire Courage 3.5

NekoJoker
2009-12-22, 06:29 PM
Rapid Fire Round!
A quick one and i'll go. if it has already been posted I'll delete immediately.
At 5th level a Church inquisitor Prc (Complete Divine pg 26) is able to shrug of Compulsion effects, now Compulsion is mainly a Mind affecting effect as is the Bard's Inspire Courage feature. Does this mean that a Church Inquisitor is immune to the bard's song?

thx guys

The Glyphstone
2009-12-22, 06:34 PM
Compulsions are Mind-Affecting, but Mind-Affecting aren't always compulsions. Inspire Courage is Mind-Affecting, but it is not a Compulsion, so the Church Inquisitor isn't immune to it.

It's like the square and rectangle thing.

NekoJoker
2009-12-22, 07:36 PM
Excelent! now I can beggin poking my fellow players to get an Exalted Dragonfire Inspiration Bard to buff everyone into the stratosphere!
thx man

Signmaker
2009-12-22, 07:50 PM
Try to keep the DFI (ab)use to a minimum. DMs don't take it kindly when their tanks go down in two hits.

NekoJoker
2009-12-22, 08:05 PM
Yeah, i know. DFI is an awesomely powerful ability. I mean, adding all thos d6s to damage rolls is just plain awesome.
I tryied my hand with one of those build in a campaign I'm currently DMing and that bard turned out to be too powerful for her own good, so i had to tone it down I used the penalties from Words of creation to keep the character from using it over and over again, since each use would take some of her HP (I turned it to lethal damage to ake it more difficult) mind you, this is a DMNPC and she does not appear often.

Now, going back to the previous conversation I am just trying to build up my future party and since i will be playing with a mildly tweaked Church inquisitor i wanted to know if the inspire courage and the Paladin auras worked with this fellow

Signmaker
2009-12-22, 08:59 PM
mind you, this is a DMNPC and she does not appear often

I'm actually a major fan of having bards be the leaders of regiments, preferably two: One to DFI, the other for normal Inspire Courage. They make quite challenging encounters out of weenies, almost a 'striker' version of tucker's kobolds, geared to higher levels. Granted, they don't do much against fliers, but that's why they're not high-CR opponents, even with the DFI (kept to a minor to avoid TPKs)

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-22, 11:17 PM
I'm actually a major fan of having bards be the leaders of regiments, preferably two: One to DFI, the other for normal Inspire Courage. They make quite challenging encounters out of weenies, almost a 'striker' version of tucker's kobolds, geared to higher levels. Granted, they don't do much against fliers, but that's why they're not high-CR opponents, even with the DFI (kept to a minor to avoid TPKs)Equip each of them with a Light Crossbow. Cheap, simple weapon, and now they're dealing that same damage at range.