PDA

View Full Version : Making a new world: Magic System PEACH [3.5, W.I.P.]

FlamingKobold
2009-12-23, 01:00 AM
I was recently inspired by another thread on the homebrew and decided to try one myself. I’ve been DMing for years, and I’ve recently just gotten annoyed at the magic system. My goal is to create a whole new system of magic that makes slightly more sense. This is really mainly for a new campaign world that I’m creating, and magic is going to be a large part of it, so I figure there’s no better place to ask for critique/help than the playground.

Basically, there are going to be 6 different kinds of magic: Soul-Calling, Demon-Binding, Shadow-Weaving, True-Speaking, Element-Channelling and Essence-Welding. Accordingly, the practitioners are dubbed Callers, Binders, Weavers, Speakers, Channellers and Welders, respectively. As a quick rundown:

Soul-Calling
The Caller requests a soul-pact to be formed between himself and a soul that resides in the Faerie Court. (Side note: In this world, souls go to the faerie court if they are benevolent). The Lords of the Court decide whether the Caller’s soul is strong enough to sustain another (sufficient level) and, if it yes, are likely to grant the request. These function kind of like soulmelds, in that they are a lot of the time just one specific item that the Caller may utilize, but it can also involve the Faerie Soul almost replacing the current soul, at which point the changes are significant. There is no limit to the number of pacts that can be formed, but they take time to forge and each body can only harbor a finite number of souls.

Demon-Binding
A binder does exactly what its name implies: it binds a demon to its servitude. At its most basic function, binding involves a ritual that first summons the demon in question, then imprisons it inside a prepared circle, where it remains until it is bound to the material plane and to the service of the binder. More powerful binders can bind and control more and more powerful demons.

Shadow-Weaving
This involves the Weaver integrating himself with the shadow weave, communicating with the nefarious shadows that reside there. This can have many effects, which vary from small amounts of shadow power, such as illusions or invisibility, to large-scale effects, like ripping a hole between the material plane and the shadow weave, allowing shadows to infest the world. Weavers have a very negative reputation in the world, and often practice in secret.

True-Speaking
The path of the Speaker is arduous. They go through years of poring over old tomes in long forgotten libraries, and still none are able to master the True Language. However, Speakers can voice their commands in True Speech and the laws of reality bend to their will. True-Speaking involves conversations with existence itself. Speakers are the most uncommon and most feared of all magicians.

Element-Channelling
Channellers gain their powers from the Masters of the Elemental Planes. They can often channel power of many different elements, but most focus on one or two. The extent of the channelling varies with power, from a small firebolt shot from a finger to a metrapolis-crushing tsunami.

Essence-Welding
Welders are the ultimate craftsmen of the land. While they cannot directly have dialogue with any of the cosmic powers as other magicians can, they “eavesdrop” on the conversations, taking the power of Callers, Binders, Weavers and Speakers and channeling it into a weapon. Welders combine the goods of the material plane with the powers of metaphysical creation, but cannot use the raw power without such mediums.

So what do you guys think? This is a rough draft, so any criticisms and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’ll try to stat out as much of it tomorrow as I can, but I probably won’t be able to do much on Christmas Eve or Christmas day, but I’ll try to get it done before the next semester begins.

Note: this world is based on the power of communication, which is why these have to do with speech and bargaining.

Altair_the_Vexed
2009-12-23, 07:37 AM
This looks like an interesting start - I'm keen to see how it will translate into actual spell mechanics.

FlamingKobold
2009-12-23, 12:23 PM
SOUL-CALLING

Souls that are called have varying power and location to be bound to on the Caller’s body. Thus, the number of souls that a Caller can utilize simultaneously is limited by two factors: soul-strength (measured in soul-points) and the body itself (2 arms, 2 hands, 2 legs, 1 torso, etc. for most callers).
Alright, I’m not sure how to do tables, so anyone that could tell me/convert the following information to a table would be awesome. Total Soul-strength is base soul strength+ 2x cha mod.

LEVEL – BASE SOUL STRENGTH – HIGHEST LEVEL SOUL
1. 1 1
2. 2 1
3. 4 2
4. 7 2
5. 11 3
6. 16 3
7. 22 4
8. 29 4
9. 37 5
10. 46 5
11. 56 6
12. 67 6
13. 79 7
14. 92 7
15. 105 8
16. 121 8
17. 137 9
18. 154 9
19. 172 10(?)
20. 191 10(?)

The Soul-point value of a given soul is based off of the psionics power point system. For example, a level 1 soul would be 1 SP, a level 4 soul 7 SP, etc.
Sample Souls:

Warrior
Level: Varies
Description: You call the soul of a warrior, long dead, who lends you his weapon. It takes the form of any one handed or light weapon. The power of the weapon varies with level. The total enhancement bonus of the weapon depends on how many SP you spend. The enhancement bonus is equal to one half (rounded up) of SP spent.
Augmentations:

Soul of the Leader: All allies within 60 feet of you when you swing get a +4 morale bonus on attack and damage rolls for one minute. +4 SP, minimum level: 4

Soul of the Witch Hunter: An Magician struck by the blade must make a Will Save (DC 14+Cha mod) or have one magical effect, caller’s choice, be instantly dispelled and they may not use magic of any kind for 1d6 rounds. +6 SP minimum level: 6

Soul of the Paladin: You may make smite attacks on any evil foe once per encounter as a standard action. You get +(cha mod) to hit and +(Caller level) damage. If the foe is not evil or the attack misses, the ability is still used for the encounter. +4 SP minimum level: 6

Soul of the Titan: any foe by the blade must make a fortitude save (DC 17+Caller’s CHA mod, or 21, whichever is higher) or by stunned for 1d4 rounds. +8 SP minimum level: 14

Soul of the Hero: anytime you drop a foe with the weapon, the following effects occur: all allies within sight gain +6 morale to attack and damage and 10 temporary hitpoints, you gain 1 temporary HP/Caller level, and all enemies within sigh must make a Will save (DC 18+Cha mod) or be shaken. Those who fail by five or more become frightened, and those who fail by ten or more become panicked. +10 SP, minimum level: 18

Soul of the Cavalry: Anytime you make a mounted charge attack and hit, the damage is tripled. +2 SP minimum level: 2

Soul of the Tactician: You gain the effects of the Spring Attack feat while using the weapon. +4 SP minimum level: 6

(Suggestions?)

Defender
Description: A set of chainmail-like armor covers your torso. It has no arcane spell failure chance or check penalty and provides +2 AC. In addition, it has an enhancement bonus or special abilities) equivalent to half the SP spent (rounded up).
Augmentations:

Soul of the Stalwart: The armor provides medium fortification and +2 deflection to AC, but you move at half speed and can only take one action per round. +2 SP minimum level: 2

Soul of the Arcane Duelist: You gain spell resistance 10 + Caller Level, and +Cha mod AC vs. summoned creatures (Shadows and Demons) and Magic Weapons. +6 SP minimum level: 8

Soul of the Hero: Any foe that comes within 30 feet of you is shaken (Fort save DC 16 + Cha mod). Any magical effect that would be harmful to you (the attack of a summoned creatures, targeted True-Speech, the strike of a magic weapon, etc) is reflected upon the user unless they make a caster Level check DC (20 + 2x Cha mod) +10 SP minimum level: 18

Soul of the Commander: All allies within line of sight are immune to fear effects. +2 SP minimum level: 4

(Suggestions?)

Lesser Angel(?)
Level: 3
Description: Large wings sprout from your shoulder blades which allow you to fly at a speed of 60 ft with average maneuverability.
Augmentations:

Soul of the Angel: 80 feet with good maneuverability. +2 SP minimum level: 8

Soul of the Greater Angel: 100 feet with perfect maneuverability. +4 SP minimum level: 10

Traveller
Level: 1
Description: You wear boots that make you unnaturally fast. They give you +20 feet movement.
Augmentations:

Soul of the Water-Walker: You may walk on mild water as though it were normal terrain. +4 SP minimum level: 6

Soul of the Mountainwalker: You take no penalties for moving through difficult terrain.

Soul of the Longstrider: You gain + 40 feet movement. +4 SP minimum level: 4

Soul of the Windrunner: You gain +80 feet movement. +8 SP minimum level: 10

Soul of the Climber: You may move normally on any solid surface, so long as you take at least a move action every round. Otherwise the effect ends and you fall. +8 SP minimum level: 12

Lesser Oversoul
Level: 4
Description: Your soul fuses with that of a member of royalty from the Faerie Court. A ghostly outline of a Hound Archon Extend from your body, and you use its statistics (But your own HP and Saves). You lose the following abilities: Spell Like Abilities, Change Shape, Magic Circle Against Evil, Teleport and Tongues.
Augmentations:

Oversoul: You take the form of an Astral Deva, with the same restrictions as above. +6 SP minimum level: 12

Greater Oversoul: You take the form of a Solar, with the same restrictions as above, plus the damage reduction is overcome by any evil (not epic) and you lose Spellcasting. +10 SP minimum level: 18

Professional
Description: You obtain headware appropriate for the effect (Determined by DM). It grants you a +6 bonus on any one kind of profession or crafting check.

Scholar
Description: You gain a bonus to all knowledge checks equal to the SP you spend.
Augmentation:

Soul of the Loremaster: You gain the ability to make bardic knowledge checks, but based on your Caller level rather that Bard level. +4 SP minimum level: 6

Mount
Description: You call the soul of a knight from long ago who lends you his mount. It is treated as a fully trained warhorse, but can’t attack.
Augmentations:

Soul of the Charge Leader: You gain a +5 to hit and deal x2 damage on a mounted charge. +4 SP minimum level: 8

Soul of the Great Mare: The Mount’s AC is 25 and has a movement speed of 100 feet. +6 SP minimum level: 10

Soul of the Dragonrider: The Mount has the appearance of a large dragon, but can’t attack. It is immune to magic, has an AC of 30, 150 HP, and a fly speed of 100 feet (average). +10 SP minimum level: 14

Shield-Bearer
Description: A shield appears in your hand. It provides +2 AC.
Augmentations:

Soul of the Arcane Soldier: The shield provides spell reflection (as the spell) and spell resistance 15+2x cha mod. +6 SP, minimum level: 10

Soul of the Giant: Any foe whose attack misses your AC by 2 or less is stunned (DC 17+Cha mod fortitude save negates) +4 SP minimum level: 8

Soul of the Hero: Any targeted ranged attack (Magic or mundane) is negated. The Caller may perform a shield-bash attack as part of a full round action that deals 1d8 + str mod damage and knocks the foes prone (Fort save DC 17+Cha mod negate). In addition, the shield provides +6 AC and DR 10/evil and magic. +12 SP minimum level: 18

Soul of the (not sure): The shield provides DR 5/-. +4 SP minimum level: 6

Demon-Binding

There is a 4 step process to a permanent binding
1. Preparation: A location for the ritual to take place must be found and prepared. This involves drawing intricate magical symbols in and around a magic circle. The circle and symbols must be drawn with specially prepared materials whose cost is the target CR^4 (credited to siosilvar).
2. When the location is dark (no lighter than moonlight) candles are lit around the circle, which iis itself lit on fire. The binder (and any number of assistants, see below) begin the ritual, which requires knowing the name of the target (pretty easy to research). After one hour, the target is plane-shifted to the center of the circle.
3. Opposed rolls occur (feats can have effect on this. will be added later) between the binder and the target. The Binder rolls 1d20+level+int mod vs the target’s 1d20+CR+wis mod. The Binder gain’s bonuses from specific items and from having more assistants (see below).
4. If the binder wins, then he gains full control over the creatures mind, as though they were dominated. This is a permanent effect. If the target wins, several effects can occur, as given by the table below.

(Participant) [failed by 5 or less] {failed by 6-10} ((failed by 10+))
(Binder) [knocked prone] {prone, 1d4 damage/CR} ((stunned, 1d6 damage/CR))
(Assistant)[no effect] {knocked prone} ((prone, 1d4 damage/CR))
(Demon) [1d6+2 round] {1d4+1 round} ((1 round))

Note: the “Demon” row gives how long the demon stays on the material plane before being sent back to where it came from.
Note: No matter what the outcome, all materials use are burnt and cannot be reused.

ASSISTANTS:
All assistants must have at least one level of binder. The maximum number of assistants is given by the binder’s level/2, rounded up. Each assistant must make a DC 14 intelligence check. If unsuccessful, nothing happens. If successful, the primary binder gains a +2 bonus on his opposed roll (cumulative).

CHANNELING

The Channeller functions on a mana point system, with mana given by the same method as soul strength for a Soul-Caller. Total mana = base mana + 2x cha mod
LEVEL – BASE MANA
1. 1
2. 2
3. 4
4. 7
5. 11
6. 16
7. 22
8. 29
9. 37
10. 46
11. 56
12. 67
13. 79
14. 92
15. 105
16. 121
17. 137
18. 154
19. 172
20. 191

Unlike the soul system, where each bound soul takes up a certain amount of soul strength, every time a channeller uses her powers, she spends mana, which can be regained in a variety of ways. The simplest and most common way of regaining mana is by waiting, as given by the following table.
Activity – Mana regenerated per hour
Strenuous – 1
Mild – 2
Resting – 4
Sleeping – 8

Unlike the other magicians, Channellers are governed by very few rules. They merely link themselves to the desired plane and determine the magnitude, duration and location of the energy that they channel. Each of these variables changes the mana cost of a given effect. A Channeller starts with 4 ranks in every factor, 4 points to spend at 1st level, plus they get 2 points to spend across the categories (Each element is separate) each level. For each level, you may only increase a given category by 1. To determine the mana cost of an effect is a simple seven step process.

1. Pick a power level between 1 and ten. Multiply by 2. This is the base mana cost.
2. Choose the elemental plane that you will be connecting to. If it is your favored element subtract five (no minimum), and if it is the opposing element add five.
3. Set an area for the effect. The larger the area, the more mana, as given on a table below.
4. Decide on the duration of the effect (number of rounds damage is dealt). This affects mana cost as given on a table below.
5. Determine the distance from you that the center of the effect will occur. The impact on mana cost is given on the table below.
6. If you chose a rank in any category that you do not have access to, double the mana cost.
7. Determine any mitigating factors that apply (see below)

Power Level
{table=header]Rank|Result|Mana Cost
1|1d4|2
2|1d6|4
3|1d8|6
4|2d6|8
5|3d6|10
6|5d6| 12
7|7d6|14
8|9d6|16
9|12d6|18
10|15d6|20
11*|20d6|[/table]

Opposing Elements
{table=header]Element|Opposite
Fire|Water
Air|Acid [/table]

Area
1|6”|1
2|1’|2
3|2’|3
4|5’|4
5|10’|6
6|20’|8
7|30’|10
8|50’|15
9|75’|20
10|100’|30[/table]

Duration
1|1 round|1
2|2 rounds|2
3|3 rounds|3
4|4 rounds|4
5|5 rounds|5
6|1 minute|8
7|10 minutes|10
8|1 hour|15
9|1 day|20
10|1 week|30
11*|1 month|50
12*| 1 year|75
13*| Permanent|100[/table]
*Note: You may still only invest up to 10 ranks in a category

Range
1|Self|0
2|Touch|1
3|5’|2
4|10’|3
5|50’|4
6|100’|5
7|250’|6
8|500’|10
9|1000’|15
10|1 mile’|20[/table]

Ritual
{table=header]Mana Expended by Secondary Participants|Mana Reduction
1-5|1
6-10|2
11-15|4
16-25|6
26-50|10
51-75|15
76-100|20
101-200|30
201+|40[/table]

Material Aid
{table=header]Object|Reduction
Gem under 50gp|1
Gem 50-500gp|3
Gem 501-5000gp|5
Gem 5000gp+|7[/table]

Eldan
2009-12-23, 12:32 PM
So, basically, this is a mixture of the Incarnum and Binder systems? I can't say much more until we see a few more effects.

FlamingKobold
2009-12-23, 12:51 PM
Kind of. I actually started the campaign world and had the idea for the 6 magic classes before I'd ever read Magic of Incarnum of Tome of Magic. Then they came out and I'm like "Now it just sounds like I'm copying." Rough approximations:

Callers: Incarnates
Binders: Not like the base class, more like the Nar Demonbinder, I guess (Another class I didn't know of until after I made this up :smallannoyed: )
Weavers: Focused Illusionist
Speakers: I hate to say it, but trunamers (!) It won't be based on a skill, I promise.
Channellers: Focused Evokers
Welders: Artificers

This is just to say that these are near the desired effect, not that I'm copying them.