PDA

View Full Version : two questions for my campaign.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-23, 11:40 PM
One. An important NPC is going to kill a not so important NPC. I'm wondering which of these lines are more intimidating/less cheesy.

"you lie silent there before me. your tears they mean nothing to me. The love you never gave, I give to you. You really don't deserve it, but now, there's nothing you can do. So sleep in your only memory of me my dearest mother. Here's a lullaby to close your eyes goodbye. it was always you that I despised. I don't feel enough for you to cry, oh well. Here's a lullaby to close your eyes goodbye."

yes. that is from the silent hill song room of Angel.:smalltongue:

and the much shorter one. In this version the NPC who is going to die offers the other several things and the other NPC responds "no. I'll never trust a single thing you say. you knew your lies would divide us but you lied anyway. Your lies may have helped you to rise up above us all but what goes up has got to fall"

before you ask, no, the NPC is NOT a DMPC. the NPC is Lawful evil and I'm Neutral good.:smalltongue:

the other question is this. When Asmodeus was good would him and Bahamut have been friends/acquaintances or would they have not of known each other? (either 4th edition or 3.5. doesn't really matter which)

tahu88810
2009-12-23, 11:49 PM
I find that having an NPC say song lyrics is always incredibly cheesy, since the words will have a sort of lyrical feel to them when said regardless of how you put it. It's better to just make it up on your own. Now, using those songs for background music? Depending on the song, it can be pretty awesome.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 12:05 AM
and the second question?:smallconfused:

tahu88810
2009-12-24, 12:07 AM
Oh, I've got no clue for that. It really depends on how the DM wants to depict them, I think. It's conceivable that they at least knew each other, one being a god and the other being almost a good and all.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 02:13 AM
Can nobody else help me?:smallconfused:

Fhaolan
2009-12-24, 02:41 AM
In my experience actually trying to say lyrics will come out wrong somehow and damage the atmosphere you're trying to project. Mainly because the players will get mentally distracted by the song.

As for Asmodius and Bahamut... I'm having difficulty with that one because when I was introduced to the characters (1st edition AD&D) the two characters had absolutely nothing to do with each other. I find the newer versions a bit jarring as they seem to imply a much smaller multiverse where the deities and demi-deities from various pantheons all went to the same high school or something... :smallsmile:

Shhhh!
2009-12-24, 02:44 AM
As for the Asmodeus/Bahamut question, the answer is a mighty, resounding up to you. The story for the fall I use, that came from some random older DnD source, would have Bahamut still being part of Io while Azzy was serving...whatever god of good he overthrew, and that the split of Io came shortly after the Fall, but Myth cycles of your game are more or less meant to be changed to whatever works for you. Do you want them to have been old buddies? Make it so, it'll work. Would you rather they not have met, or have been distant? Works too. Now, as for advice (which you should ignore, I'm horrible at advice), take their relationship from their personalities. If Asmodeus is a borderline corrupt control freak, I can see Bahamut disliking him, unless in your game, that's Bahamut's thing.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 02:55 AM
I meant friends when Asmodeus WASN'T a corrupt evil control freak and was instead a holy good control freak.:smalltongue:

Shhhh!
2009-12-24, 02:59 AM
I meant friends when Asmodeus WASN'T a corrupt evil control freak and was instead a holy good control freak.:smalltongue:

Well, yes, but from what I recall, he was kinda a little on the pushy side even when he was good. I think, and again I'm so far from my books and the urge to go digging through the internet for the info, that he rebelled because Goodymcgoodgod wasn't being harsh enough with the Demons And the mortals. He didn't one day decide to be the ultimate tyrant, he's always been in favor of Control over Free-will, and when the god he served refused to push the button, so to speak, he decided to try and push it himself.

-edits for FUN- Again, if you want him to be different, go for it. All myths can be true, All legends can co-exist, there's no reason for you to not change it. So let me ask you a question, Do you want them to have been friends? Not would they have been, but do you, as DM want the backstory to have involved a friendly kinda broship between the Tyrant and the Paragon? it would make for some interesting RP, especially if it's public knowledge, or at least widely known.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:03 AM
well if you could tell me what book it's IN that would greatly help.

Shhhh!
2009-12-24, 03:09 AM
well if you could tell me what book it's IN that would greatly help.

I would, but I can't remember, and Azzy's story seems to be changed every time he gets mentioned in a book. Fitting for a liar? Who knows. At any rate, the wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asmodeus_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)) article has a few variants on his origin listed, and you could crib whichever ones you wanted from there.

Gralamin
2009-12-24, 03:36 AM
the other question is this. When Asmodeus was good would him and Bahamut have been friends/acquaintances or would they have not of known each other? (either 4th edition or 3.5. doesn't really matter which)

In 4th Edition, Asmodeous was an Angel servant to He Who Was (Probably his most powerful one), who was a good god. If I remember my timeline correctly, Io was slain way before He Who Was was, and so there would be a good chance he would of been on first name basis with most of the Gods.

In 3rd Edition, he was a servant of all the original Good Gods, and so yes it is possible (See Pact Primeval from Fiendish Codex 2)

Mystic Muse
2009-12-24, 03:43 AM
ah. thanks everybody.

KillianHawkeye
2009-12-24, 10:26 AM
In 3rd Edition, he was a servant of all the original Good Gods, and so yes it is possible (See Pact Primeval from Fiendish Codex 2)

Minor correction: according to the origin story in Fiendish Codex II, Asmodeus was the servant of the Lawful gods in the time before Good and Evil. It was only when he got tainted by his war against the demons that the gods realized their was more to alignments than Chaos and Law.

So by that story, Asmodeus was probably never actually Good.