PDA

View Full Version : The Arcane Speaker [P.E.A.C.H.]

Demons_eye
2009-12-24, 11:53 PM
This will be a thread for a wizard true speaker hybrid.

Requirements
Skills- True Speak 7 Ranks
Class Features- Must be able to cast 2nd level arcane spells must know at lest one Utterance.
Feats- Obsure Personal Truename
Spells- Magic Mouth (May remove if I can not work it how I want to)
Special- Must have discovered 5 truenames (If you have allies you MUST find these first and they count towards the five needed)

The Arcane Speaker
10 level prestige class
http://www.cam.hi-ho.ne.jp/hohko/ged111.jpg

Jack flees into the crowd looking back as if he had seen a ghost or worse. He does not pay attention and can not see a man rise out of the ground hovering in mid air. He runs into the man and is knocked to the ground fear in his eyes. 'My purse please?' the man says but gets no response, he says some thing in a strange lost langue and a moment later the would be thief hand over the purse to the man. He snaps his fingers and says while walking away 'Thanks'

The arcane speaker is part Mage part Silver tongue, he uses arcane magics and true names to boost both his ability at little cost. His roll is that of a wizard but

Features
Hit Die- d4
BAB and Saves- Good will Bad BaB
Skills-The Arcane Speakers class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int) TrueSpeak (Int) Use Magical Device (Cha)
Proficiencies- A Arcane Speaker gains no new proficiencies

{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spellcasting | Utterances
1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Page Out of a Wizard's Book/Sorcerers Charm | +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Know the Ally| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Know the Enemy| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Voice of the spell| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Speak the truth| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Special Utterance| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Spell spell| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Say that again| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Speak with me| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class
10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Open the door!/No not my name!| +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class

[/table]
Class Ability -
Page out of a wizards book- At the first level the Arcane Speaker melds his knowledge together. He may use his int modifier for his utterances instead of his charisma if he so wishes.

Sorcerers Charm- At the first level the Arcane Speaker melds his force of personality together with his true speaking powers. He may use his charisma modifier instead of his int for truespeak checks.

Know the Ally- An Arcane Speaker knows what you can say to an ally. At the second level if you know an allies true name they can chose to forgo the True Speak check to affect them.

Changing or effecting someones True name is dangerous. If you repeatedly use a an utterance is can be harmful and you must make a True speak check but the DC is halved, you must only make the check if you have effected an ally with the Know the Ally ability more then your class level. IE Cindy is a third level Arcane Speaker She uses the same utterance three times on an ally with out make the check. She must not start making the checks to affect the ally but the DC is halved.

Know the Enemy You can cast a spell that lets you gain knowledge. At the third level if you know at lest two divination spells you can spend two rounds to cast a spell that shows you some ones true name, you can use this spell as many times as you want but only last 3+ Class level rounds as the spell fades. You must study them without interruptions, if you already know their true name and cast this spell you gain a bonus of True name check divided by five on all true name checks for the spells duration. This reduces the CR of the foe by half IE the check it 15+CR

Voice of the spell As you go into your studies more you learn the true names of magic itself. At the fourth level the Arcane Speaker can make an Int check to reduce the cost of a metamagic spell. The check is Spell level + Meta Magic Cost, usable Int modifier a day+1 per 5 ranks in true speak.

Speak the truth The Arcane Speaker, at the fifth level, knows when people are ling and hate it. At will they can cast Zone of truth DC= True Speak ranks, they also know when some one as past there save.. They also have a grasp of basic magic with in the true speaker's world and can cast catrips at will (Subject to DM approval) along with magic mouth.

Special Utterance At the sixth level Arcane Speaker's can use the elements themselves to there advantage. They can use each of these spells int modifier a day of their chosen element.

Air
Obscuring Mist
Wind Wall
Gaseous Form

Earth
Magic Stone
Soften Earth and Stone
Stone Shape

Fire

Burning Hands
Produce Flame
Flame Blade

Water
Obscuring Mist
Fog Cloud
Water Breathing

Spell spell When reading from a scroll an Arcane Speaker of the seventh level gains a bonus to CL equal to True Speak Ranks/5

Say that again At the eight level the Arcane Speaker can recast a spell or say an utterance he cast/said last round as a free action. This is usable 3/day

Speak with me At the 9th level an Arcane Speaker can use the aid of others in his speaking. If he has ever used an utterance on a person they may help him in a speak check even if the person has no ranks in True Speak. Bonus is Check/5 Max one person helping at a time.

Open the door! At the 10th level the Arcane Speaker as reached the pinnacle of his power. He must chose if he is evil or good. If he goes the path of evil he has chosen: open the door he has stopped death form taking him. He acts as if he was a linch in the sense you must kill his Phylactery before killing him for good. He gains no other bonuses a Lich gets.

No not my name! At the 10th level the Arcane Speaker as reached the pinnacle of his power. He must chose if he is evil or good. If he goes the path of good he has chosen: No not my name. He gains the ability feared and sought after by all. Nondetection as all the time, you know if anyone says your name in 100 miles and your name can not be put on paper and is forgotten if not some how retold in three days. You also have the ability of Truename Backlash except its 3d6 per HD 5d6 if you all ready have the feat

So..... Besides the grammar and bad English in general what you think?

Narmy
2009-12-24, 11:59 PM
The ability is listed as, Close The Door.

Though in the description it is listed as, Open The Door.

Demons_eye
2009-12-25, 12:04 AM
When I wrote it I tried to remember how it was in the book so I called a friend and he told me the guy opened the door and could not shut it. This makes no sense unless you have read A wizard of earth sea, but ya I forgot to change when he told me.

Tim4488
2009-12-25, 01:31 AM
If I read Know Your Ally correctly, it's far too powerful. It would essentially allow unlimited buffing... not to mention the healing utterances... with no Truespeak check, and therefore no limit?

Maybe I misread, though. I haven't played with Truenaming rules in a couple years.

Demons_eye
2009-12-25, 01:55 AM
True.... I wanted it to be more easy to buff you allies but I don't want it unlimited. Any ideas?

DragoonWraith
2009-12-25, 08:20 AM
Rather than "Wizard+ Truenamer", you should probably do something like this:
{table=head]Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Special | Spellcasting | Utterances
1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 | Page Out of a Wizard's Book | +1 level of existing spellcasting class | +1 level of existing truenaming class[/table]
You could use "+1 level of wizard spellcasting ability" if you really want to make it wizard-specific, but that strikes me as unnecessary.

Demons_eye
2009-12-25, 02:44 PM
Thanks! I did not really think about that. I just thought most people would enter with wizard and never though about Sorcerers. Updated with Sorcerers charm

DragoonWraith
2009-12-25, 09:36 PM
...err, there's also Bards and potentially Beguilers (via Advanced Learning) who could qualify (add Dread Necromancers, Warmages, and Wu Jen if you remove the Magic Mouth requirement, which you really should consider because it's a really poor spell for a PC - no big deal for a Wizard, but a spontaneous caster is really not going to like taking it).

Demons_eye
2009-12-25, 09:45 PM
Well its is the Arcane Speaker so so long as its an arcane caster meh. As for the mouth thing I wanted to work some ability to truespeak and cast spells in the same round so long as you use magic mouth but I rethought it and tried a different angle. Might as well remove it.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-25, 10:42 PM
Sure, but there's several arcane spellcasters out there - I think I listed all the base classes, though there's also Suel Arcanamach as another possibility (odd choice for this, though).

Demons_eye
2009-12-25, 10:59 PM
It would not matter? Was not spouse to be wizard only but its the only arcane I though of at creation. So long as its arcane it can enter.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-25, 11:04 PM
Oh, sorry. I thought Page Out of a Wizard's Book/Sorcerer's Charm were specifically for people entering from those classes. Well, I mean, they're for the advantage of those characters, obviously, but you know what I mean. Sorry, that was my fault.

Demons_eye
2009-12-25, 11:16 PM
Well if a Bard or Beguiler wanted to enter they still could use cha for true speak checks or int for true speak DC's.

DragoonWraith
2009-12-26, 10:06 AM
Yeah, that makes sense. I get it, and that's a good idea.