PDA

View Full Version : How to destroy a world? [3.5]

AngelisBlack
2009-12-28, 04:54 AM
Assuming that you have a good caster, Sorcerer or Wizard at CL 20, how would one caster destroy an entire world with only 9th level magic and below? There will be no use of summoning anti-matter with gate or anything similar, or an infinite chain of spells. We'll also assume that Wish and Miracle would be blocked.

Longcat
2009-12-28, 05:01 AM
Locate City bomb should do the trick.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-28, 05:08 AM
One casting of Create Greater Undead in a heavily urbanised area. leaves all the loot intact but does away with all the fleshy wastes of time:smallsmile:

drakir_nosslin
2009-12-28, 05:19 AM
Well, if you have a world that's orbiting around another body in some kind of space, you could always use numerous walls of force to direct the planet into the other body. This would probably destroy all of the more complex lifeforms on the planet, possibly the planet itself as well.

AngelisBlack
2009-12-28, 05:22 AM
One casting of Create Greater Undead in a heavily urbanised area. leaves all the loot intact but does away with all the fleshy wastes of time:smallsmile:

I mean an entire planet, and I said good aligned. Creating undead is an evil act, and the planet is kinda already overrun with demons, devils, and undead anyway. Also, the locate city bomb would be nice for one city, but I'm saying an entire planet.

Optimystik
2009-12-28, 05:27 AM
Gate in an Infernal. In addition to its own abilities, the 4 Balors/Pit Fiends it can summon per day should do the trick.

EDIT: I thought you meant "good" as in "skilled" not "morally upright." Why would a good caster want to destroy the world?

Eurus
2009-12-28, 05:27 AM
How much time do you have? Chained Disintegrates would do it eventually...

AngelisBlack
2009-12-28, 05:34 AM
Gate in an Infernal. In addition to its own abilities, the 4 Balors/Pit Fiends it can summon per day should do the trick.

EDIT: I thought you meant "good" as in "skilled" not "morally upright." Why would a good caster want to destroy the world?

Unfortunately, using gate to call an evil creature makes it an evil spell, thus an evil act. But it is a totally awesome idea though. Unfortunately knowing this DM, I'm sure part of the problem are the Infernals already on the planet. Are there any [good] divine avatars or something I can summon with Gate?

Narmy
2009-12-28, 05:36 AM
Can't we just figure out how to kill the Tarassque using the E6 system instead?

Optimystik
2009-12-28, 05:40 AM
Unfortunately, using gate to call an evil creature makes it an evil spell, thus an evil act. But it is a totally awesome idea though. Unfortunately knowing this DM, I'm sure part of the problem are the Infernals already on the planet. Are there any [good] divine avatars or something I can summon with Gate?

Plenty. Getting them to destroy the world is another matter.

You could always gate in something neutral, like an Anaxim, or create a living spell that can kill everyone given enough time, like a Cloudkill. But just about everything you do will make you stop being good unless there's something pretty vile about this world I don't know.

AngelisBlack
2009-12-28, 05:55 AM
Plenty. Getting them to destroy the world is another matter.

You could always gate in something neutral, like an Anaxim, or create a living spell that can kill everyone given enough time, like a Cloudkill. But just about everything you do will make you stop being good unless there's something pretty vile about this world I don't know.

Actually said world has no innocents or anything. It is thankfully completely evil and therefore destruction of said world would not be evil at all. I like your idea of creating a living spell. If I had access to wish I'd start creating living Spheres of Destruction.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-28, 05:57 AM
ok, so... a little harder. I take it your DM isn't particularly fussed about which physics model he's using in this soon to be ash world?

In which case sticking an annihilation sphere at the core of the planet would eventually destroy the world, might take a while though...

or you could set up a series of everful bottles to drown the place..

or the commoner railgun aimed at the planet, meteor strike on demand...

or just leave and make some other rock a newly habitable world, once you've got 20th level casting there's no real reason to be tied down to one planet afterall.

Solaris
2009-12-28, 06:00 AM
Living Disintegrate, if you want to go with the Grey Goo route rather than the Deathcloud route.

AslanCross
2009-12-28, 06:34 AM
Launching a Sphere of Annihilation aimed at the center of the planet would destroy it eventually. Unfortunately the Sphere is an artifact and as such is only available at the DM's discretion.

The surest way I can think of would be a Wish spell. :P A Solar has access to Wish, and as such, Gating in one would probably do the trick.

Johel
2009-12-28, 06:41 AM
Build the following item :
Magical Trap
Trigger : Timed (1 round)
Reset : Autoreset
Spell : Disintegrate (CL11)
CR : 7
Cost : 33.000 GP, 2.640 XP
Aim it for the ground, step away.

Alternatively, cast Animate Object + Permanency on a Sphere of Annihilation.
Then instruct it to go straight down in the ground.
Monitor its daily progress with Discern Location.
Once it's about to reach the other side of the planet, Teleport there.
Instruct it to stay 20 feet away from you.
Go a few miles away.
Then instruct it to go straight down in the ground...

To speed up the process, have more spheres/traps.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-28, 06:44 AM
Relativistic Kill Missile.

Storm Bringer
2009-12-28, 08:59 AM
it is VERY diffcult to destory a 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iorn (http://qntm.org/?destroy)

edit: although futher reading suggets and a variant on the sphere of allication trick would work, if you could turn off the spheres anti-gravity (i.e. let it fall towards the earth, and then use aborsed mass to pull more mass towards it.

Johel
2009-12-28, 09:28 AM
it is VERY diffcult to destory a 5,973,600,000,000,000,000,000-tonne ball of iorn (http://qntm.org/?destroy)

edit: although futher reading suggets and a variant on the sphere of allication trick would work, if you could turn off the spheres anti-gravity (i.e. let it fall towards the earth, and then use aborsed mass to pull more mass towards it.

...this makes me wish to put things into perspective. :smalleek:

Earth volume : 1,084 × (10^12) km³
1.000 cubic feet per disintegrate.
1 disintegrate / 6 seconds

That's 14.400.000 cubic feet / day
0.02832 m³ = 1 cubic feet
That's 407.808 m³ / day
1.000.000.000 m³ = 1 km³
That's 0,000407808 km³ / day
1 year = 365 days
That's 0,1744992 km³ / year
6,21 x (10^12) years to disintegrate Earth with a single Disintegrate Trap.

I...think we better search another way around this problem. :smalltongue:

Choco
2009-12-28, 09:44 AM
Cast Gate to call something from the Far Realm that can then open some greater gate to bring the old gods to the material plane.

I don't think completely insane counts as evil, so you should be good doing this :smallamused:

mostlyharmful
2009-12-28, 09:46 AM
I would imagine you wouldn't need to reduce the mass by more than 5 to 10 % before there's some truely horrendous results on the surface as the tectonic plates start being too large for the magma upwells that support them. you're looking at crust instability on an ever increasing scale leading to a propperly hellish environment with the atmosphere and oceans boiling off and all kinds of toxic gasses upwelling, not to mention the effect of a steadily reducing gravity on the atmosphere. Really how destroyed does a planet have to be before it's considered gone? Uninhabitable? Unstable? Totally obliterated?

Johel
2009-12-28, 10:11 AM
I would imagine you wouldn't need to reduce the mass by more than 5 to 10 % before there's some truely horrendous results on the surface as the tectonic plates start being too large for the magma upwells that support them. you're looking at crust instability on an ever increasing scale leading to a propperly hellish environment with the atmosphere and oceans boiling off and all kinds of toxic gasses upwelling, not to mention the effect of a steadily reducing gravity on the atmosphere. Really how destroyed does a planet have to be before it's considered gone? Uninhabitable? Unstable? Totally obliterated?

Since that one is inhabited by demons, nothing short of obliterated will do.
Unstable just means the demons feel at home.
:smallbiggrin:

josh13905
2009-12-28, 10:11 AM
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.....

You're all assuming that this world is as big as the earth. :) Sorry wanted to point that out.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-28, 10:16 AM
Assuming that the world is governed by the normal rules of physics and you don't mind a little silliness, an extremely literal interpretation of wall of force should do the trick.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-28, 10:18 AM
Since that one is inhabited by demons, nothing short of obliterated will do.
Unstable just means the demons feel at home.
:smallbiggrin:

Interestingly while Devils are for the most part immune to fire Demons are fine with Electricity so while they could be comfy with the uberstorms whipped up by the disruption in the magnetic field as the iron core is devoured they would probably not be ok with the supervolcanos to the face or sudden massive subsidance as mountains fall on you and you get sucked down holes in the crust.... They're tougher than most humanoids but they can't survive everywhere... just sayin':smalleek:

Voldecanter
2009-12-28, 10:22 AM
Easy , Just Make Items that Utilize All the Known Fire Spells and make sure that they reset every few seconds , Direct them to the Earth's Core , in your spare time Use Spells such as soften Earth and warp this and that to continuously make the hole towards the earth's core even bigger and longer , the earth should be destroyed before everyone knows what to do with themselves .

Lysander
2009-12-28, 10:29 AM
You have to clarify what you mean by "destroy." Do you mean destroy every creature or destroy the planet itself?

The first is straightforward but time consuming. Just create or bind a wide variety of monsters and order them to go out and kill everything. Use divination spells to find out where creatures are hiding to help guide your minions. Teleport around the planet and use fire spells to burn ecosystems and then salt the land. Duel and defeat any challenger too powerful for your monsters. After everything is destroyed either order your monsters to kill themselves or relocate them to another plane.

The second is trickier. If you don't have a time limit, create an unaging creature that can plane shift at will, give it a shovel, and have it scoop up dirt and teleport with it to another plane, return and repeat until the planet's mass is gone.

TheWerdna
2009-12-28, 10:32 AM
As said by someone earlyer, just cast a bunch of walls of forces to change the moon's orbit so it hits the planet.

Step one: find a way to survive in a vacume

Step two: Buy a couple hundred scrolls of Wall of force

Step Three: Telport into the area of the moons orbit.

Step Four" Make a giant wall that will redirect the moon's orbit into the planet.

Eldan
2009-12-28, 10:43 AM
I'd use gates. You need two of them.

Step one:
Go to the astral plane, or any other plane. Create a cube of six walls of force. Step 2: On one side of the cube, open a gate on the planet's surface, pointing downward.
Step 3: On the other side of the cube, open a gate to the center of the planet's sun.
Step 4: Watch, from far, far away.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-28, 10:52 AM
Open a gate to the plane of water -- flood the earth with infinite water.

Darius Rae
2009-12-28, 10:53 AM
You could just keep putting walls of force in the orbital path of the planet. I don't know how big you could make them or how many you could make, but anything that passes completely through a planet is going to do terrible things to it, think a meteor that doesn't stop when it hits the planets surface. The dust build up from a few of these will freeze out anything that is non-magical or doesn't have sufficient shelter.

Eldan
2009-12-28, 11:01 AM
Right... since the wall of force is completely indestructible and immovable, is one of them enough to stop the planet? Also, would the planet just smash itself to bits on the wall, due to it's momentum, or would most of it move on, making a wall of force-sized hole in the planet?
Anyway, the consequences should be funny to watch.

Lysander
2009-12-28, 11:02 AM
You could just keep putting walls of force in the orbital path of the planet. I don't know how big you could make them or how many you could make, but anything that passes completely through a planet is going to do terrible things to it, think a meteor that doesn't stop when it hits the planets surface. The dust build up from a few of these will freeze out anything that is non-magical or doesn't have sufficient shelter.

The question is...what are the Walls of Force relative to? Because when cast they're fixed in space relative to that planet. So if you put a WoF in the path of the world, would it just move along with the world rather than colliding with it?

That brings up an even bigger question. Are we talking about a universe with realistic physics or DnD physics? In that case the "planet" is just a flat plane and it might not move. There would be nothing for it to collide with.

Eldan
2009-12-28, 11:04 AM
In that case, we also can't destroy the planet's core...
Can we use Walls of Force to dump a black hole on it, given enough time?

Carden
2009-12-28, 12:09 PM
None of you are thinking clearly. We want to push the planet into the sun. All you have to do is make a massive wall of force in its orbit to stop it from orbiting and, viola, planet heads rather quickly towards the sun. Sure, anything with fire resistance would last through the heat, but what about the fusion once you get IN the sun? Or the Gamma Radiation? Or the resultant supernova from giving the sun an iron core? Heck, if you timed it right, you could maybe smash the planet into other planets on the way, effectively crushing large areas. Just make sure to close all the portals off the rock before you get started, 'cause this will take a while.

Lysander
2009-12-28, 12:17 PM
There's a problem with introducing a wall of force into relativistic physics. A wall of force cannot move. But movement is relative. Space isn't a location. It's just an x,y,z axis things fly around in.So if a planet is moving towards a "stationary" wall of force in space, by definition the wall of force is also moving towards the planet. Which violates the spell description.

InkEyes
2009-12-28, 12:32 PM
Nobody's brought up the Anti-Osmium bomb yet? I'm sure at the very least 685 quadrillion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010735&postcount=38) hp damage would leave an impressive crater in the evil planet. Your DM will probably also end up throwing his entire collection of books at you, but paper-cut related casualties are to be expected. Especially if your DM expects you to easily blow up an entire friggin planet.

deuxhero
2009-12-28, 12:32 PM
Can wish mimic martial maneuvers like it can divine spells? If it can, use iron heart surge to end the sun/gravity/the ocean/the core/the atmosphere.

Solaris
2009-12-28, 12:59 PM
There will be no use of summoning anti-matter with gate or anything similar, or an infinite chain of spells. We'll also assume that Wish and Miracle would be blocked.

I'm amazed it took to the second page.

ZeroNumerous
2009-12-28, 01:22 PM
I'm amazed it took to the second page.

Anti-osmium is made with true creation and is not summoned. It is quite real and quite there.

However: It seems that you don't want to destroy the world so much as just get rid of everything living on it. So might I suggest a very simple but very elegant solution?

Craft 10 items of Prestidigitation that can be activated at will.
Summon(not call! Very important) ten humanoid jerks for one hour.
Use Wish, Miracle or gate in a Solar to cast Energy Immunity(Fire) on your jerks.
Use true creation to summon a tower made of tantalum hafnium carbide, a refractory compound with the highest known melting point to man: 4488 K.
Teleport or plane shift to someplace that is not the planet you are on.

Now, order your humanoid jerks to start using Prestidigitation to raise the temperature of your tantalum hafnium carbide by 35 F degrees per use. This is +350 F degrees per 6 seconds or +3,500 F degrees per minute. The summoned jerks will continue to do this for the full hour, at which point your tantalum will probably have sublimated. If not: It will be at a temperature of 210,000 F or 116,000~ K. IE: Twenty times hotter than the surface of our sun.

The result will ignite the very oxygen in the air around it, probably carve a massive hole through the planet as it melts the crust and ultimately burn off the entire atmosphere. That will kill everything and anything that breathes oxygen or is not fire immune. Unfortunately most devils/demons/what-not are fire immune, but fortunately...

Outsider Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType)

Outsiders breathe, but do not need to eat or sleep (although they can do so if they wish). Native outsiders breathe, eat, and sleep.

EDIT: Best part of this plan is: You don't even kill anyone you don't wanna kill. Your summoned jerks will just pop back to their plane when they die and/or run out of time.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-28, 01:45 PM
Wizard5/FrostMage10/Archmage5

Freeze all water in the entire possible world.

Get a barbarian to wack it with a hammer.

or lower the entire universe to absolute 0

Fcannon
2009-12-28, 01:51 PM
1.Find a Beholder Hive Mother (Lords of Madness p135) and hit it with Dominate Monster

2.Track down as many regular Beholders as possible (Hive Mothers can Dominate any number of other Beholders at will-since you control the Mother, you control them). Kill other Hive Mothers and have the one you control take over their hives.

3.Once you have several dozen Beholders, have them start drilling to the planet's core with their Disintegrate rays. Order all anti-magic eyes shut and have them ready actions to fire one after another. Make sure to buff them with fire protection once you breach the mantle.

Arcane_Secrets
2009-12-28, 03:14 PM
Actually said world has no innocents or anything. It is thankfully completely evil and therefore destruction of said world would not be evil at all. I like your idea of creating a living spell. If I had access to wish I'd start creating living Spheres of Destruction.

This might actually be on the right track. My initial idea based on what I've read so far is to come up with a living spell (MMIII) chained disintegrate that could be built using an awaken ooze spell analogous to awaken undead (8th or 9th level from Spell Compendium, so there would be precedent I think). Assuming it can self-propagate, given enough time it should be able to destroy everything that isn't immune to disintegration effects.

I'll try and think of some more.

The Deej
2009-12-28, 03:56 PM
What if you just used wish, and wished for something absolutely ridiculous? As in, you WANT it to backfire. The backlash alone for something epic enough ought to make a sizable dent in the population there at least.

Edit: talk of living spells makes me curious as to what would happen if on tried to make a living Wish spell. That seems like it could really **** up a planet.

AngelisBlack
2009-12-28, 04:22 PM
We'll also assume that Wish and Miracle would be blocked.

I definitely like the idea of the awaken ooze. I might be able to get that one in with a DM, but as someone else pointed out given the volume of a planet it would take a while. Also, I read the living spell monster description, and you can't use targeted spells with it. Living Sphere of Ultimate Destruction would be ok, Living Chained Disintegrate would not. Plus, how does one create a living spell anyway outside of Wish?

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-28, 04:54 PM
How many hp does the world have? I'm sure there's a munchinly way to sunder it.

Eldan
2009-12-28, 05:01 PM
Well, assuming the earth is made of solid stone, it has 15 HP/inch of thickness in every of it's sections. No idea how large those would be. The iron core would have twice that amount per inch.

Signmaker
2009-12-28, 05:04 PM
Angeh, quit with the hard questions. =P

Locate City bomb should do the trick.

Not even close, for several reasons that would otherwise detract the thread.

What qualifies as 'destroyed'? Disintegrated in to star dust? Sundered in half? Ceasing to be? One way or another, I'm sure a damage-abuse build can find a sweet spot for Strength Devotion and sunder the whole thing.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-28, 05:10 PM
1. Use one of the various destruction methods outlined here to drill a hole to the planet's core.
2. Fly down into the core (getting immunity to fire first would be smart), and cast Precipitate Complete Breach, from the Planar Handbook.

Congratulations, there is now a hole in reality sucking everything into it at the center of the world. Before too long, enough mass will get sucked in that the planet will collapse in on itself. Using Extend on it is a good idea, and if you can find a way to use Persist or Permanency on it that would be even better. Casting *more* Precipitate Complete Breach spells around it to increase the rate at which chunks of the planet get pulled off to other dimensions is nice but unnecessary. And angry extraplanar creatures might wander through to see what's going on, which is a nice bonus.

Signmaker
2009-12-28, 05:39 PM
1. Use one of the various destruction methods outlined here to drill a hole to the planet's core.
2. Fly down into the core (getting immunity to fire first would be smart), and cast Precipitate Complete Breach, from the Planar Handbook.

Congratulations, there is now a hole in reality sucking everything into it at the center of the world. Before too long, enough mass will get sucked in that the planet will collapse in on itself. Using Extend on it is a good idea, and if you can find a way to use Persist or Permanency on it that would be even better. Casting *more* Precipitate Complete Breach spells around it to increase the rate at which chunks of the planet get pulled off to other dimensions is nice but unnecessary. And angry extraplanar creatures might wander through to see what's going on, which is a nice bonus.

So THAT'S why Naboo has no lava at the center...

Randel
2009-12-28, 06:02 PM
A few ideas:

1. Use Major Creation or Wish to create Strangelets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelets) which are basically the subatomic particle version of infectious zombies. Create one teaspoon of strangelets and watch as the air, ground, people and pretty much everything else thats made up of atoms gets turned inside out and becomes more strangelets.

The problem is that once you activate it, then you've pretty much started a zombie apocolypse on a subatomic level that results in massive clouds of dust that 'infects' any and all matter that it comes in contract with. If you get any of it on you, you will die (unless you chop your limb off and plane shift the heck out of that dimension).

If anyone opens a gate to that world then the stranglets come in and destroy that new world. Not sure if eldrich abominations from beyond the stars could survive in Strangelet Town but if they can then you've just given them a weapon to destroy the universe.

2. Find some way to compress matter into a singularity and create a Black Hole. Maybe something involving a Walls of force and some sort of irresistible force compressing a lot of stuff into a single point. The result is a non-magical Sphere of Annihilation that weighs a whole lot and sucks stuff into it to get more powerful.

At this point you could probably just let it drop on the ground, sink to the center of the planet and make everything implode. Or if you really want to cause a riot then launch it into the Sun. The sun will go Nova and pretty much vaporize the entire solar system, then it will deteriorate into a Black Hole that will either suck in the exploded remains of the planet or will just make it all freeze now that the sun doesn't shine anymore.

Or if you think you can pull it off, maybe a Major Creation or something. Just try to create a few pounds of something in less size than the radius of an atom.

taltamir
2009-12-28, 06:05 PM
(ab)use broken metamagic reducer feats to lower arcane fusion to level 4.
Arcane fusion is a level 5 spell that when cast, casts a level 4 and a level 1 spell for you.
Make the level 4 spell the "reduced level" arcane fusion... you created an infinite loop giving you infinite free castings of a level 1 spell, during 1 single round...

Make the level 1 spell something that deals damage. attack the world with infinite magic missiles / lesser orbs of force / etc.

Signmaker
2009-12-28, 06:10 PM
(ab)use broken metamagic reducer feats to lower arcane fusion to level 4.
Arcane fusion is a level 5 spell that when cast, casts a level 4 and a level 1 spell for you.
Make the level 4 spell the "reduced level" arcane fusion... you created an infinite loop giving you infinite free castings of a level 1 spell, during 1 single round...

Make the level 1 spell something that deals damage. attack the world with infinite magic missiles / lesser orbs of force / etc.

Original post denies your concept.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-28, 10:37 PM
Find an Ubercharger. Cast Dominate Person. I believe you can guess steps 3 and 4.

Alternatively, get as high a UMD check as possible and a staff of Animate Object.

deuxhero
2009-12-28, 11:15 PM
Find Reshar's (or one from just about any warblade above level 3, but you want to be classy here) comb (or anything), make a Simulacrum, then have IT iron heart surge the sun/gravity/atmosphere/oceans/whatever.

d13
2009-12-28, 11:19 PM
Well... You're level 20...

Grow up a couple of levels, and Epic Spellcasting should do the trick :smalltongue:

Arcane_Secrets
2009-12-29, 12:55 AM
I definitely like the idea of the awaken ooze. I might be able to get that one in with a DM, but as someone else pointed out given the volume of a planet it would take a while. Also, I read the living spell monster description, and you can't use targeted spells with it. Living Sphere of Ultimate Destruction would be ok, Living Chained Disintegrate would not. Plus, how does one create a living spell anyway outside of Wish?

I'm still thinking through that issue, and I don't have a clear answer for it yet.

Solaris
2009-12-29, 01:17 AM
Anti-osmium is made with true creation and is not summoned. It is quite real and quite there.

I believe the OP meant 'no anti-matter at all'. Otherwise, the thread's problem was solved many moons ago.

My bad about the living disintegrate, though. I don't tend to pay that much attention to templates I don't intend to use.

AngelisBlack
2009-12-29, 02:52 AM
I believe the OP meant 'no anti-matter at all'. Otherwise, the thread's problem was solved many moons ago.

My bad about the living disintegrate, though. I don't tend to pay that much attention to templates I don't intend to use.

No problem, at least you're paying attention. For clarification, no antimatter at all. I tried getting the "Wall of Force vs Orbit" thing past the DM, but apparantly I can't do that. He says I can't use orbital physics or particle physics [No subatomic particles of any kind] nor could I sunder the entire planet. He did say that assuming I find a way to burrow to the core, I can try to place something there that would suck up matter like a Sphere. Trick is getting to the core and having Line of Effect. I did like the idea of the planar breech spell being used to completely engulf the planet. If any of the material goes to Celestia though, I assume my caster would have a lot to answer for.

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-29, 03:09 AM
Teleport to some technologically advanced planet.

Get space suits.

Teleport back to this solar system.

Use the higher level version of locate city bomb: locate planet bomb.

Teleport to your campaign world.

Watch DM cry.

OR

Pay an epic level wizard to cast locate solar system bomb while you teleport away to the aforementioned campaign world.

Watch DM cry.

Unless LCB is a 9th level spell you should be able to do this. Research a 7th level spell called Locate City Bomb; and a 9th level version called Locate City Bomb, Greater; and maybe the 5th level version Locate Town Bomb.

Randel
2009-12-29, 04:22 AM
Create a temporal paradox by going back in time and changing the past to remove whatever motivated you to go back in time.

Wish or some other sort of magic (there might be something from a book somewhere that lets you mess with time) might be able to do the trick. A magical backlash from a paradoxal Wish spell used to change the past could destroy the entire universe! (Or it might just be limited to the Milky Way Galaxy)

Radar
2009-12-29, 06:43 AM
To get to the core, one needs to get Earth Glide ability (Shapechange into an earth elemental or something), so that you can teleport yourself into solid material. Then one can Greater Teleport right into the core (probably, since greater version is not as restrictive as the regular Teleport). Otherwise, one can still Gate in from another plane.

I would recommend casting the Precipitate Complete Breach from a Time Stop and Teleport/Planeshift away immidietly. You don't want to be around, when it goes off.

AngelisBlack
2009-12-30, 12:58 AM
To get to the core, one needs to get Earth Glide ability (Shapechange into an earth elemental or something), so that you can teleport yourself into solid material. Then one can Greater Teleport right into the core (probably, since greater version is not as restrictive as the regular Teleport). Otherwise, one can still Gate in from another plane.

I would recommend casting the Precipitate Complete Breach from a Time Stop and Teleport/Planeshift away immidietly. You don't want to be around, when it goes off.

Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we have a winner. This solution allows one to get to the core and have line of effect, the correct spell to target the core, and even a way to get away from the disaster zone in time [which I hadn't even thought about]. I've presented this to my DM, and it seems to be perfectly alright with him. Thank you everyone for the help on this one. ^^ Heh, now he's going mad as to how much XP to give a person who basically killed a planet. Its going to be a nice introduction to epic levels nonetheless.

deuxhero
2009-12-30, 01:14 AM
Wait, I think heroics (martial study:(Ironheart surge)) can wor just as wellk.

Lysander
2009-12-30, 10:07 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like we have a winner. This solution allows one to get to the core and have line of effect, the correct spell to target the core, and even a way to get away from the disaster zone in time [which I hadn't even thought about]. I've presented this to my DM, and it seems to be perfectly alright with him. Thank you everyone for the help on this one. ^^ Heh, now he's going mad as to how much XP to give a person who basically killed a planet. Its going to be a nice introduction to epic levels nonetheless.

One problem. The core is made out of molten nickel/iron alloy. Earth glide doesn't work through metal.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 10:48 AM
I'd kill all life on the planet, since that seems to be the end goal, not specifically destroying the rock itself.

Thus, wightpocalpyse combo + teleport. As a level 20 caster, you should be able to level at least a dozen areas per day. Probably more. Even without CL boosters, this turns any level 1s in an entire city into wights. If levels tend to be high, then target less areas per day, but nuke them more.

Resistance to cold 10 will decrease the actual cold damage, but it won't stop it all(use heighten spell as necessary to ensure this), so devils or demons will still die. I strongly suggest abusing CL boosters, if possible, though. The bigger the radius, the better/faster the effect.

24hrs later, the wights rise, kill off anything with enough HD to have survived the fell drained locate city, and turn them into more wights, while you're off elsewhere repeating the process.

It's not instant, but it builds momentum, and sheer numbers of level draining creatures can take down even ridiculously tough mobs. Devils mostly tend to resort to melee anyhow, so it's not as if they have a good way of stopping this.

Now, this has a couple of fun results. First off, it's not obvious who is doing it or where they are due to the huge spread of the blast plus time lag before reanimation. I suggest using invisible spell for added fun, and keeping mind blank up at all times.

Secondly, it leaves the precious loot available. In the 24 hrs before the area rises after dying off, grab anything that looks good. Anything still living will be sufficiently level drained as to be harmless.

A few weeks of doing this, and the entire world will be in ruins and wights will rule the earth. I strongly suggest bringing some way of avoiding level drain. At this point, there is nothing left living but wights and a few flying creatures(that'll eventually be hunted down if/when they land). Fly around and destroy the world at will. Perhaps by spheres of annihilation aimed straight down. Exact details are mostly irrelevant when you've just earned xp and loot for slaughtering the population of an entire world, putting you into epic levels.

Nanan
2009-12-30, 11:43 AM

As per rules in the DMG, you can not gain more experiance then is required to gain and max a single level from a singular event, such that destroying a planet at level 20 will only get you to level 21.9999

As a DM I would also say that destroying such a planet would draw the ire of the evil gods who would simply Wish you dead.

Anyway, I as a DM would say sure you can destroy the planet if you can do 1x10^30 damage to the planet with an assumed hardness of 10 per cubic foot. If it were so easy that a mear level 20 could go about destroying worlds then I doubt many worlds would be left from evil/crazy people having fun.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-30, 02:11 PM
As per rules in the DMG, you can not gain more experiance then is required to gain and max a single level from a singular event, such that destroying a planet at level 20 will only get you to level 21.9999

Yet another reason to break it up into multiple events. Annihilating a single city at a time is vastly more xp efficient.

taltamir
2009-12-30, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Nanan
Did you intentionally stop at the 4th nine after doing the math?
going from level 21 to 22 takes 22,000 XP. Since you will get 21,999 XP out of the 22k, dividing them gives you 0.999954 (54 repeating to infinity)
So yea, level 21.999954545454545454 etc

HCL
2009-12-30, 06:22 PM
How to break the game at level 1

Azurin Wu Jen with 15+
Fel Drain (Wu Jen Bonus)
Midnight Metamagic (1)
Improved Essentia Capacity (Human bonus)

Cast a fel drained hail of stone on some commoners/small animals, hide the bodies, and run like hell.

24 hours later they all come back as barrow wights and start killing everything and raising more. Come back and rebuke the original wights when you have some Dread Necro/Ur priest levels under your belt.

Nanan
2009-12-31, 02:04 PM
Did you intentionally stop at the 4th nine after doing the math?
going from level 21 to 22 takes 22,000 XP. Since you will get 21,999 XP out of the 22k, dividing them gives you 0.999954 (54 repeating to infinity)
So yea, level 21.999954545454545454 etc

Yes and we keep track to the 16th decimal place...

No, actually I am a mechanical engineer, as a default numbers are only kept to the 4th decimal place.

taltamir
2009-12-31, 04:12 PM
Yes and we keep track to the 16th decimal place...

No, actually I am a mechanical engineer, as a default numbers are only kept to the 4th decimal place.

what I meant was, did you guess... or did you do the math and find out it rounds up to exactly .9999 instead of .9998 or .99999