PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Druid help

Hannes
2009-12-28, 05:37 AM
So, I've never made a caster before, so I figured maybe I could ask you guys if this is okay. Mind, it's supposed to be a low-power, low-magic campaign.

Anyway, I haven't picked up any equipment yet (want to ask the DM first), but my character sheet is here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=175577).

Is this okay?

Simba
2009-12-28, 05:42 AM
Greetings to Tallinn!

A Druid is usually not good for a low-powered campain as it is one of the strongest classes there are. But as you did not take any "power powers" it should be ok. Why did you take all those combat feats? You will usually fight in animal form, where your STR is much higher and DEX might be lower.

Hannes
2009-12-28, 05:58 AM
Because, well, magic is really, really, really disdained in the place the game takes place in. I don't think I'd be running around in animal form much. Also, it's core-only.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-28, 06:43 AM
Then why be a druid?

Optimystik
2009-12-28, 06:57 AM
It sounds like you just want to be able to fight and turn into an animal. If your setting is so unfriendly to magic, may I suggest the Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) instead of a druid?

Hannes
2009-12-28, 09:58 AM
Well, I'm joining in on a campaign others have been playing for some time and the DM specifically asked me to be a druid as he has parts of the backstory made up already. I was just wondering if I effed something really up or not...

Optimystik
2009-12-28, 10:01 AM
You should ask him to be sure, a wild shape ranger could fit most druid fluff just as easily, while being a lot more acceptable to a low-magic setting.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-28, 10:10 AM
Well, I'm joining in on a campaign others have been playing for some time and the DM specifically asked me to be a druid as he has parts of the backstory made up already. I was just wondering if I effed something really up or not...

Perhaps you should ask your DM if he'd care to play the character for you as well.

Simba
2009-12-28, 10:13 AM
Perhaps you should ask your DM if he'd care to play the character for you as well.

LOL, nicely said!

He prolly has decided how he wants to bring the character into the group and a Druid would fit that story. A Ranger - especially one of the Wild Shape Variant - should fit the story just as well!

mostlyharmful
2009-12-28, 10:22 AM
There's some nice alt class features in the SRD for a druid that tones them down a little and adds quite a bit of ranger flavour to the mix if you want a halfway house.

here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druid) they are (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#druidVariantDruidicAve nger)

mutually exclusive but both worth a look.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-12-28, 10:44 AM
Weapon Finesse and Dodge are both wasted feats. You'll almost always have a higher Str than Dex when Wild Shaped, and in your normal form your Str score is only one point lower than Dex anyway. Weapon Finesse gives you +1 to hit when you're in a form that you won't ever be fighting in two levels from now, so it won't ever even apply. Dodge is a very weak feat, only worth taking if you need it as a prerequisite for a worthwhile feat or prestige class.

Better choices would include Improved Unarmed Strike and Improved Grapple, especially since many good Wild Shape forms have Improved Grab anyway. Spell Focus: Conjuration and Augment Summoning are also good choices. It shouldn't raise too many eyebrows in a low-magic game since Summon Nature's Ally conjures woodland creatures, and you can just describe them as showing up out of the bushes like they were there all along, then scampering off when the spell ends or limping away if defeated.

Killer Angel
2009-12-28, 11:22 AM

lol...
but don't be too harsh: if he's joining a campaign on the run, the DM can ask for a specific figure, depending on the circumstances. That said, of course the DM shouldn't be too much specific, leaving some freedom in the character generation.

Hannes
2009-12-28, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions..

ericgrau
2009-12-28, 03:00 PM
How do you have full casters in a low magic game? This will only spell disaster for the poorly equipped non-casters. Forward link in sig to DM for tips to fix it, or else he needs to gimp the casters.

If you're trying to avoid an abusive druid just don't wear magic items while wildshaped (I wouldn't do this regardless) and avoid using spells that usually can only be countered with magic (since this is a low magic campaign). If OTOH your party members have few magic items all the time, even a naked wildshaper will be abusive. Like I said, talk to the DM.

sonofzeal
2009-12-28, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions..
Everyone here is trying to help. Druids are infamously powerful, with very little effort, and can do serious harm to the balance of any game, let alone a "low-power" game. That said, if the DM wants one then the DM wants one...

- Weapon Finesse is only a +2 to attack with melee weapons for you, that's not generally worth the feat unless you're getting +3 or better and/or using melee weapons constantly. You have spells, and eventually you'll have bear-claws. I'd recommend Improved Initiative instead, as that will give you a chance to buff or lay out an Entangle.

- Dodge and Combat Reflexes are usually only worth taking if you have a specific plan for them, and the latter is mostly useful for polearm users. Unless you're planning on going that route, I'd recommend "Spell Focus: Conjuration" and "Augment Summoning".

- I'd recommend "Produce Flame" as a standard combat spell for you at this level. It's quite viable from levels 3-7 or so, and probably going to more damage, much more reliably (since it's a touch attack), than your physical weapons.

- I'd recommend "Cure Minor Wounds" in at least one lvl0 slot. It's not useful healing in combat (almost no healing is, don't waste your combat turns this way unless you're low on options), but it automatically stabilizes anyone who's bleeding to death.

- I'd recommend putting Constitution as a higher priority. You still use your normal hitpoints when in Wildshape, and you should be expecting to fight in melee that way at some point. Animals generally have poor AC compared to player characters, so you'll be needing whatever hp you can get.

Aldizog
2009-12-28, 04:29 PM
If you're not going to be running around in animal form much, then the Shapeshift variant from PHBII might not be appealing -- I was going to suggest that to take advantage of your high Str and Dex, as well as to tone down the power and the paperwork.

Since you're a strong in human form, and you normally expect to be in human form, then Shillelagh and Barkskin might be good spells to have on hand for when you mix it up in melee at low levels. Those aren't obvious magic, and so might be better in certain situations. Take Still Spell and/or Silent Spell if you really need your magic to be subtle.

Crafting feats are always good and appreciated by the party, especially Craft Wondrous Item.