PDA

View Full Version : Undispellable Permanency

Lysander
2009-12-29, 02:52 PM
Here's something I think a lot of people overlook. Permanency cannot be dispelled for spells that the caster put on themselves.

Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on you) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal.

So you can give yourself permanent See Invisibility or Darkvision and never need to worry about an enemy caster dispelling it.

Signmaker
2009-12-29, 02:56 PM
Quoted the section right, but a smidge out of context. Read higher up on the spell.Riiiiiiii-stop. There.

You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell. You cannot cast these spells on other creatures. This application of permanency can be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.

That's part of the "You-targeting" section of permanency. The part you quoted states that any non-You permanency spells function vs. Dispel 'as normal', whereas my quoted bit states the exception to the norm.

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 02:57 PM
IIRC, Dispel Magic can still suppress permanent spells for a limited time, it just can't end them.

Douglas
2009-12-29, 02:58 PM
So you can give yourself permanent See Invisibility or Darkvision and never need to worry about an enemy caster dispelling it.
Only for casters of equal or lower level than you at the time you cast it. Higher level casters can dispel it just fine, as Signmaker's quote says.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-29, 03:01 PM
IIRC, Dispel Magic can still suppress permanent spells for a limited time, it just can't end them.

yup, 's how I rule it and generally ask to play it.

Douglas
2009-12-29, 03:04 PM
yup, 's how I rule it and generally ask to play it.
That's a fine house rule, but RAW is that Permanencied spells on yourself are invulnerable to Dispel Magic from casters with caster level equal to or lower than the spell's caster level, and can be completely and permanently ended by Dispel Magic cast by someone with higher caster level.

Lysander
2009-12-29, 03:11 PM
Quoted the section right, but a smidge out of context. Read higher up on the spell.Riiiiiiii-stop. There.

That's part of the "You-targeting" section of permanency. The part you quoted states that any non-You permanency spells function vs. Dispel 'as normal', whereas my quoted bit states the exception to the norm.

Blarg. Dammit. Too good to be true I suppose.

mostlyharmful
2009-12-29, 03:11 PM
That's a fine house rule, but RAW is that Permanencied spells on yourself are invulnerable to Dispel Magic from casters with caster level equal to or lower than the spell's caster level, and can be completely and permanently ended by Dispel Magic cast by someone with higher caster level.

yes and it sucks.

Slayn82
2009-12-29, 03:17 PM
Not that much, its a good way to lure your enemies in casting Dispell Magic and be suckered by an archmage's mastery of Counterspelling.

Lysander
2009-12-29, 03:24 PM
You can also heighten the spells I assume to make them harder to dispel.

taltamir
2009-12-29, 03:26 PM
You = creatures

therefore it can be dispelled.

Signmaker
2009-12-29, 03:32 PM
You can also heighten the spells I assume to make them harder to dispel.

Dispels are CL-dependant, not Spell Level-dependant. So heighten does diddley.

Optimystik
2009-12-29, 04:01 PM
Instead, buff your CL to make them harder to dispel.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-29, 04:05 PM
You = creatures

therefore it can be dispelled.

It says spells cast on other creatures, and then mentions what happens to you specifically. Signmaker and douglas have it right.