PDA

View Full Version : Na'vi [Avatar-inspired, 3.5e]

Lubirio
2009-12-29, 04:50 PM
Alright, since you're reading this thread, I'll assume you guys should all have heard of the new movie Avatar, it came out December 18th, and my boyfriend's taking me to see it (IMAX 3d!!) tomorrow night. :smallredface:

I have watched the trailer and it seems that there's a species (the Na'vi) on Pandora, the planet introduced in the movie. I'm going to try and make a D&D representation of them, based on what I see tomorrow. For now I'm just gauging interest to see if anyone would like to help me in this little project.

Lubirio
2009-12-29, 04:51 PM
This will be the post I'll put the finished product and possibly some other stuff people come up with.

From what I have seen so far (based on the trailer) I suspect the race Na'vi will have an LA of +2 or +3 (Humanoid [Na'vi]), and no racial HD. High physical stats, no mental stat penalty, possibly high wisdom and some natural armor.

This final writeup, by jmbrown, is believed to be the most accurate, and can be used as you see fit (as far as I know):
Na'vi
+2 strength, +6 dexterity, +4 constitution, -2 charisma. na'vi are lithe and limber but can be gruff and stubborn.
Monstrous Humanoid
Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, and his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character. They are tall large creatures.
Na'vi' base land speed is 40 feet. Na'vi have a climb speed of 20 feet. Na'vi are natural climbers, able to scramble up trees with ease. A na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing na'vi. Also, na'vi add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
Low-Light Vision: A na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. Na'vi retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Bio-luminescence: in conditions of non-magical darkness, Na'vi give off light in clear illumination to a range of 10ft and shadowy illumination to a range of 20ft, this ability can be suppressed as a free action, and activated again also as a free action, when suppressed, Na'vi give of light on shadowy illumination to a range of 5ft.
+4 racial bonus to Jump, Tumble, and Balance checks: na'vi are accomplished acrobats at home in dense jungles.
Natural Armor +3. Na'vi have particularly thick hides.
Damage Reduction 5/slashing or piercing. Na'vi bones and muscles are reinforced by natural forming carbon fiber that protects them against crushing and falling.
Neural Queue. The na'vi can use this to bond with any willing animal that also has this neural link (called a 'whip' on animals). A hostile animal must be pinned for one round before the na'vi can force the bond.

A bonded animal's attitude is helpful and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi receive a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation, and receives an inherent +5 to Ride checks while riding the bonded animal only.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the link is broken and the surviving creature is dazed for one round. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider, but they both use the highest modifier of the two.
Racial Hit Dice: A na'vi begins with one level of monstrous humanoid, which provide 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +0, and Will +2.
Racial Skills: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.
Racial Feats: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid level gives it one feat.
Automatic Languages: Common, Na'vi. Bonus Lanuages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Ranger
Level Adjustment: +1

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-29, 04:57 PM
I like this, and will give you some tips for their stats:

Do not open unil you have seen the movie.
Based on elves.
Large size.
Swap proficiency with longswords to shortswords or scimitars.
Wild empath (grants bonus if they gain the ability from another source)
Favoured class ranger.
Not sure about the hair-beast thing

Lubirio
2009-12-29, 05:02 PM
Thanks, I will appreciate your input once I've seen it, and if I'm not too distracted by the movie/my boyfriend, I'll try to pay attention to the specifics myself. :smallsmile:

Edit: I should probably specify that I'm trying to make this for D&D 3.5e, I'll put it in the thread title.

Primal Fury
2009-12-29, 06:11 PM
That movie was awesome. Almost made me cry...

Anywho
I would definitely give them Ride as a racial skill, and the mind-link thing would provide BIG bonuses to that skill. I almost want to say it's some sort of mind control.

Bibliomancer
2009-12-29, 06:26 PM
It was an amazing movie (although, to be fair to certain critics, if you didn't have your eyes open for any of it the movie began merely above average).

Large size category, yes.
Land speed 50 feet.
+4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom seems appropriate
I'd actually say 3 HD monstrous humanoid (d8 HD, Good BAB, Good Fortitude Saves, Starting Skill points = 6 x (2 + Int modifier), class skills Ride, Survival, Spot, Listen, Climb, Balance, Jump) which contradicts your above post, because this would reflect that all Na'vi have a certain warrior-nature essence, thus giving them a good starting BAB and some skills.
Wild Empathy (overall modifier = Cha modifier + 3 [racial HD] + 5 [large bonus] + levels in any class that grants wild empathy)
Improved Animal Companion: if a Na'vi takes a class which grants an animal companion feature, their level in the class counts as three higher than normal for the purposes of animal companion special abilities and selecting a new animal companion.
Quasi-prehensile Tail: +3 bonus on Swim, Balance, and Climb Checks
Racial Skill bonuses: +2 bonus on listen, spot, ride, handle animal, and survival ckecks
LA +2

Note that this would make it ECL 5, which is which appropriate for a race capable of challenging humans wielding what are effectively minor artifacts.

Lubirio
2009-12-29, 06:27 PM
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it even more now, but I'll look more into both your ideas when I've seen the movie and I'm back online (probably 2 days from now :smallredface:), but we can work on some ability changes that aren't spoiling the movie for me?

I was thinking +2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, maybe +2 Wis?

Zeta Kai
2009-12-29, 06:46 PM
Na’vi
Warrior 1
Large Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16HP)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40’ (8 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +2 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+8
Attack: Longspear +3 melee (2d6+1/×3) or Longbow +5 ranged (2d6+3/×3, 100’)
Full Attack: Longspear +3 melee (2d6+1/×3) or Longbow +5 ranged (2d6+3/×3, 100’)
Space/Reach: 10’/10’
Special Attacks: N/A
Special Qualities: Bonding Tendrils, Darkvision 60’, Monstrous Humanoid traits
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 13 (+1), Dex 17 (+3), Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 8 (-1)
Skills: Balance +7, Hide +3, Jump +3, Listen +4, Spot +6, Survival +4
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: warm forest
Organization: Solitary, squad (2-4), company (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants & 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 20% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, & 3 7th-level captains)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: no coins; standard goods; ½ standard items
Alignment: often Chaotic Good
Advancement: by character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Na’vi as Characters
Na’vi characters possess the following racial traits:

+2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
Large Size: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but he or she uses Medium-size weapons, gains a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, & his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.
Space/Reach: 10’/10’
A Na’vi’s base land speed is 40’ (8 squares)
Darkvision 60’
Racial Hit Dice: a Na’vi begins with 3 levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, & base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +3, and Will +3
Racial Skills: a Na’vi’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier); its class skills are Balance, Hide, Listen, Spot, & Survival; they also have a +2 racial bonus on Balance, Hide, & Spot checks
Racial Feats: a Na’vi’s monstrous humanoid levels give it 2 feats
+2 natural armor bonus
Bonding Tendrils: A Na’vi as a set of tendrils at the end of its queue. These tendrils allow them to form a special bond with any mount that also possesses at least one set of tendrils as well. While bonded with a compatible mount, a Na’vi ...
Weapon & Armor Proficiency: a Na’vi is automatically proficient with all simple weapons
Automatic Languages: Na’vi
Bonus Languages: Common
Favored Class: Barbarian

http://www.pandorapedia.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/us:navi.jpg?cache=&w=600&h=338

Eldan
2009-12-29, 06:51 PM
From how they look in the movie, I could almost imagine them having slight build as well, as paradoxical as that sounds for large creatures.

As for the tendrils: a +4 bonus to wild Empathy, and a charm animal-like effect? Perhaps Alertness, like a familiar, while bound?

Also, I'd make the favourite class ranger, or perhaps scout. I don't think we've seen anything like rage.

Lubirio
2009-12-29, 06:56 PM
I can understand a large creature to have slight build, but why randomly only able to wield medium-size weapons and nothing else relating to being "smaller than large"? :smallconfused:

Remember, I have not seen the movie yet, so those tendrils is a major spoler I'd rather not have seen. :smallannoyed:

Also, if a Na'vi has 3 racial HD, it can't have a level of warrior and still only have 3 total HD. :smallwink:

Rithaniel
2009-12-29, 07:58 PM
Lemme give this a whack....

Na'vi:

+4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom

Humanoid (Na'vi)

Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but he or she uses Medium-size weapons, gains a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, & his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.

Na'vi base land speed is 60 feet.

Slight Build: The physical stature of the na'vi lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller. Whenever a na'vi is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the na'vi is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. A na'vi is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. A na'vi can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of a na'vi remain those of a creature of their actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Brain Stem: The na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extention of their brainstem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A na'vi, as a full-round action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who posesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though, to do so to an unwilling creature, the na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, then, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, then, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, and their additudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful', and neither will try to harm each other after this point. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond.

+2 racial bonus on all saving throws.

Natural Balance: A na'vi may move their full movement while using the Tumble or Balance skill without suffering a penalty or increasing the DC of the check.

Speed: When running, a na'vi multiplies their speed by ×6 instead of the normal ×4, taking the Run feat increases this to ×7 and wearing medium or heavy armor decreases it to ×5.

Automatic Languages: Common and Na'vi. Bonus Languages: Any.

Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass na'vi takes an experience point penalty, their highest-level class does not count.

LA: +2

Temotei
2009-12-29, 08:01 PM
This is kind of funny, because I was thinking of making a Na'vi race. Now I don't have to! More work on the debaser class. :smallsmile:

I'm agreeing with the others--especially Bibliomancer and Rithaniel, although both builds could be in need of a bit of altering. I'm too lazy to do it though. :smallsigh:

Anonymouswizard
2009-12-30, 03:39 AM
As the OP has not seen the movie can we have anything related to the race in spoilers for the moment?

Like this
And the tendril thing is very important.

jmbrown
2009-12-30, 06:22 AM
If you haven't seen something it's a good idea not to make a topic about it until after the fact. You can ask people to put stuff in spoiler tags but what constitutes a spoiler differs from person to person. A lot of things people mention appear in the official trailers but some people consider anything they haven't seen a spoiler.

My point is it's better to be safe and avoid all discussion completely. Anyway, here's my take on the race.

Na'vi
# +2 strength, +6 dexterity, +4 constitution, -2 intelligence, +2 wisdom, -2 charisma. na'vi are lithe and hardy but they're stubborn, insular, and ignorant of the outside world.

# Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

# Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.

# A na'vi's base land speed is 40 feet.

# A na'vi has a climb speed of 20 feet. na'vi are natural climbers, able to scramble up trees with ease. A na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing na'vi. Also, na'vi add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.

# Low-Light Vision: A na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

# +4 racial bonus on Jump, Tumble, and Balance checks: na'vi are accomplished acrobats at home in dense jungles.

# Natural Armor +4. Na'vi have particularly thick hides.

# Damage Reduction 2/-. Na'vi bones are reinforced by a natural chemical that makes them resistant to damage.

# Bonding Tendrils. The tendrils in a na'vi's braid can be used to bond with animals in order to share a collective conscious. Bonding with a willing animal is as simple as combining tendrils. A hostile animal must be knocked unconscious through non-lethal damage or pinned for at least one round.

A bonded animal is friendly to the na'vi and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi receive a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the survivor takes 1d6 nonlethal damage per hit dice of the fallen creature. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider although they use the highest will save between them.

# Racial Hit Dice: A na'vi begins with three levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +1, and Will +3.

# Racial Skills: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

# Racial Feats: A na'vi's humanoid levels give it two feats.

# Automatic Languages: Common, Na'vi.

# Favored Class: Ranger

# Level Adjustment: +3

Zeta Kai
2009-12-30, 06:30 AM
If you haven't seen something it's a good idea not to make a topic about it until after the fact. You can ask people to put stuff in spoiler tags but what constitutes a spoiler differs from person to person. A lot of things people mention appear in the official trailers but some people consider anything they haven't seen a spoiler.

Thaaaaaank you. I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, here's a spoiler (unspoilered on purpose):

Colonel Quaritch is the most bad-ass antagonist in movie history. He commands respect from the audience like no other. Enough so that his presence makes you wonder if the protagonist is really doing the right thing.

jmbrown
2009-12-30, 07:04 AM
This listing is for the typical na'vi warrior.

Na'vi
Large Monstrous Humanoid
HD 3d8+6 (18 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); 20 ft. climb
Init: +7
AC 16 (-1 size, +3 dex, +4 natural armor); touch 12; flat-footed 13)
BAB +3; Grp +7
Attack Longspear +7 melee (2d6+1) or Dagger +7 melee (1d6+1) or Longbow +9 ranged (2d6)
Full-Attack Longspear +8 melee (2d6+1) or Dagger +8 melee (1d6+1) or Longbow +10 ranged (2d6)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (20 ft. with longspear)
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, DR 2/-, bonding tendrils
Saves Fort +5 Ref +4 Will +4
Abilities Str 13, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Balance +7, Climb +11, Handle Animal +1, Jump +9, Listen +2, Ride +2, Spot +2, Survival +2, Tumble +7
Feats: Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes
Environment: Dense forest
Organization Solitary, pair, scouting party (4-8), hunting party (6-10), war band (10-20 plus 2 3rd level warriors and 1 6th level leader), tribe (100-200 plus 20 3rd level warriors, 10 6th level leaders, 1 9th level druid, 1 12th tribe leader, and 200% noncombatants)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class

Royalwarrior
2009-12-30, 08:48 AM
I was looking over the write up that was done.... Good work! But there is a mod. that my boyfriend and i have been talking about. The Na'vi as a race do not work with other races well and for that should get a -2 charisma mod as a playable character.

paddyfool
2009-12-30, 08:53 AM
A penalty to charisma-related skills, perhaps. But Chr itself reflects more than those skills alone.

urkthegurk
2009-12-30, 12:08 PM
A penalty to charisma-related skills, perhaps. But Chr itself reflects more than those skills alone.

Not for dwarves, it doesn't. Charisma is weird.

Also:

Brain Stem: The na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extention of their brainstem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A na'vi, as a full-round action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who posesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though, to do so to an unwilling creature, the na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, then, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, then, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, and their additudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful', and neither will try to harm each other after this point. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond.

It seems like the bond actually doesn't break if you move further away. Sure, you can't issue commands, but I don't think the creature's attitude will ever move away from 'helpful,' and it will generally come when you call. Sure, you can do this with regular training, but I think this implies that if you step of your mount you're in danger of having it attack you.

Lubirio
2009-12-30, 01:18 PM
Well, for the moment I was just gauging interest for how many people would like to help, not actually asking anything from anyone yet, sorry. :smallredface:

Also, it seems like a lot of people have spoilered some stuff, does it amount to anything like Zeta-Kai graciously unspoilered previously? (also, I think I can make out the story-giveaway from the trailer. :smallwink:)

Arbitrarious
2009-12-30, 01:44 PM
Ehh... The story isn't really the reason you go see Avatar. It's the FX which are very, very good.

Temotei
2009-12-30, 03:01 PM
Thaaaaaank you. I agree wholeheartedly.

Also, here's a spoiler (unspoilered on purpose):

Colonel Quaritch is the most bad-ass antagonist in movie history. He commands respect from the audience like no other. Enough so that his presence makes you wonder if the protagonist is really doing the right thing.

Nicely put. :smallamused:

Zexion
2009-12-30, 05:35 PM
The "bonding tendrils" work somewhat like the "mind link" psionic ability, albeit with a range of touch. Also, the ability seems to be empathetic, and does not require a common language.
The ability needs a common name on these forums. From the wiki, it can apparently be called a Lekku (like the Twilek from Star Wars), a neural interface, or an Mind Link. I support calling it a Lekku.
Bonus feat as Brachiation perhaps? Their lifespan should be as a gnome (which is standard in the movie), or as an elf if you want the Na'vi to play a more tribal, long-living, mystical reserve of knowledge. Also, when they die their souls fly to the Eywa tree, which is kind of like a soul capture accessible by means of the same

Some people should work out the statistics for the other creatures of Pandora, such as the Banshee, the Great Leonopterix, and the direhorse (not the same as a Dire Horse). There are good pictures and information at the Pandora wiki.

Lubirio
2009-12-30, 09:17 PM
I have just come back from watching the movie (it's great!) and I belive the mind link thing was called thayheala or somesuch, the great leonopterix was Toruk, and the banshee ikra, don't quite remember the Direhorse though, also there's the viper wolf and of course the Thanator (don't know these in the Na'vi tongue).

What people have worked up seems pretty good to me, but now I'll need some sleep, I'll take a better look at it later. :smallredface:

Zexion
2009-12-30, 11:04 PM
Are we going to call the abilities by their Na'vi name, or their human slang counterpart? Because this is really confusing.
Concept for the Great Leonopteryx:

GREAT LEONOPTERYX (NA'VI NAME: TORUK)
Colossal Animal (Wingspan: 80 ft., Head-to-Tail Length 40 ft.)
Hit Dice: 20d8+360 (450 HP)
Initiative: +18
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 200 ft. good (40 squares)
Armor Class: 28 (-16 size, +18 Dex, +16 natural) touch 10, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+71
Attack: Bite + 23 melee (4d6+12) or Claw +18 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: Bite +23 melee (4d6+12) and 2 Claws +18 melee (2d6+12)
Space/Reach: 80 ft./40 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Air Mastery, Eywa Connection,
Saves: Fort +30, Ref +30, Will +13
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 46, Con 46, Int 2, Wis 24, Cha 24
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +36, Listen +23, Swim +3, Spot,
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Wingover, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Ability Focus (Claw)
Environment: Sky
Organization: Solitary (sometimes rode by Na'vi warrior)
Challenge Rating: I don’t really know about assigning challenge ratings, any suggestions?
Advancement: Large 1-2 HD, Huge 3-6 HD, Gargantuan 7-11 HD, Colossal 16+
Level Adjustment: -

Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. I am now going to work on the direhorse (Na'vi name Pa'li)

Temotei
2009-12-30, 11:16 PM
Are we going to call the abilities by their Na'vi name, or their human slang counterpart? Because this is really confusing.

GREAT LEONOPTERYX (NA'VI NAME: TORUK)
Titanic Animal (Wingspan: 80 ft., Head-to-Tail Length 40 ft.)
Hit Dice: 20d12+360 (490 HP)
Initiative: +18
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 200 ft. good (40 squares)
Armor Class: 28 (-16 size, +18 Dex, +16 natural) touch 15, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+71
Attack: Claw +5 melee (2d6+36 slashing)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (4d6+36 piercing)
Space/Reach: 80 ft./40 ft.
Special Attacks:
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Air Mastery, Eywa Connection,
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
Abilities: Str 82, Dex 46, Con 46, Int 6, Wis 24, Cha 24
Skills: Balance +11, Climb +36, Listen +23, Swim +3, Spot,
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Wingover, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow, Ability Focus (Claw)
Environment: Sky
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: I don’t really know about assigning challenge ratings, any suggestions?
Advancement: Large 1-2 HD, Huge 3-6 HD, Gargantuan 7-10 HD, Colossal 11-15, Titanic 16-25, Megafine 26+
Level Adjustment: -

Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. I am now going to work on the direhorse (Na'vi name Pa'li)

Titanic? How about huge or colossal?

Zeta Kai
2009-12-31, 12:08 AM
The toruk really wasn't that big. Colossal = 64’ or more, in height or length. He wasn't even that large. I'd say Gargantuan, tops. His size was merely one factor in his dominance of the Pandoran food chain.

Temotei
2009-12-31, 12:19 AM
The toruk really wasn't that big. Colossal = 64’ or more, in height or length. He wasn't even that large. I'd say Gargantuan, tops. His size was merely one factor in his dominance of the Pandoran food chain.

Flying wins on Pandora too--just like D&D.

GFawkes
2009-12-31, 12:23 AM
Here's my swing at making a Na'vi race:

Humanoid(Na’vi)

Base Land Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)

Large

Size/Reach: 10/10

Special Qualities: Slight build (for purposes other than space or reach, count as one size category smaller), Tsahaylu (See below), Tail (+2 on Balance and Tumble checks, can move full speed no penalty while doing so), low light vision, Nature loving (+2 on any checks related to plants or animals, such as Animal Handling, Wild Empathy, Ride), Poison Resistance (All effects related to poisons are halved, such as duration and stat loss), Wild Empathy

Special Attacks: None

Modifiers: +2 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom

Feats: Track, Self-sufficient, Martial Weapon Proficiency (Longbow), Martial
Weapon Proficiency (Composite Longbow), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bolas)

Languages: Automatic{Na’vi}, Learnable {Any}

Favored Class: Male; Ranger, Female; Cleric.

Alignment: Usually Neutral Good, cannot be Evil.

The Na’vi worship Eywa and can choose the domains of Plant, Animal, or Sun.

Tsahaylu: The Na’vi word for the mental bond between them and another creature. To use Tsahaylu, a Na’vi must make a touch attack against a creature that can receive Tsahaylu, such as Toruk or an ikran. If the creature is unwilling, it must be pinned to make a successful bond. When Tsahaylu is effective, the two creatures are mentally linked. They cannot be flanked at all, not even by an Epic Level Rogue. If you get creative and, say, blindfold them, then they can be flanked. When one of the creatures takes damage, the other makes a DC (10 + damage taken) Will Save or takes half the damage as nonlethal damage. Since bonding effectively makes them the same being, the Na’vi and the creature can share Will Save results.

Level Modifier: +2

Racial Skills: Ride, Survival, Animal Handling, Tumble, Balance, Climb

Lubirio
2009-12-31, 09:17 AM
So far, I think people have come up with great stuff, but a combination of it all seems best to me. If you disagree, please tell me, but this is what I think the Na'vi are like:

Na'vi
+4 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Humanoid (Na'vi)
Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, and his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.
Na'vi Base land speed is 50ft. Na'vi have a climb speed of 20 feet. A Na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 5, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing.
Low-Light Vision: A Na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. A Na'vi retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+3 natural armor bonus.
Wild Empathy at character level, any other way of gaining this special ability stacks, but instead adds half the normal bonus.
Tsahaylu, see below.
+3 racial bonus on Swim, Balance, and Climb checks
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, Ride, Handle animal, and Survival checks
Automatic Languages: Na'vi. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Favored Class: Ranger (Male), or Druid (Female)
Level Adjustment +3

Tsahaylu: The Na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extension of their brain stem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A Na'vi, as a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who possesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though to do so to an unwilling creature, the Na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, their attitudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful'. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond. Even if the bond has been broken, if a bond has existed previously, the attitudes of the two beings will never be worse than 'Indifferent'.

I have used ideas from various people, and I'll credit all who've posted with an idea when we're finished and we finalize the production of the Na'vi playable D&D race.

I am especially open to an alternate idea for Tsahaylu, and could you please provide me with a link to the Pandora wiki?

Debihuman
2009-12-31, 09:22 AM

If this creature is being statted as an Animal it uses d8 for hit dice. It has 450 hit points. You should be aware that Animals cannot have Int more than 2. If it has a higher Int, it is a Magical Beast and uses d10 which would give it 470 hit points.

This is not a Titanic animal. It is only 40 feet long from head to base of tail putting it clearly in the Gargantuan territory (32-64 feet). Colossal is 64+, or 64-128 ft. if you are using expanded size rules. In any case, it is clearly not a Colossal creature, much less a Titanic one.

Melee attacks are BAB + Str modifier + size modifier. For a Gigantic creature, the size modifier is -4. Your attack lines don't indicate which attack is the primary attack and which is secondary.

Furthermore, I am not convinced that this creature is as powerful as Str 82. These are probably comparable to dragons but more streamline. Even accounting for an increase of power, your stat has it doubly more powerful than a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon, which is considerably bigger and heavier than this creature. Realistically, this creature is streamlined and not very thick. You can't give it fantastical abilities and keep it a believable animal. I'd put it down to Str 35 at best.

Here is the new attack line using Str 35 (as I noted above) as a factor. Bite would be its primary attack and claws secondary. It can also use its crest to make a slashing attack but that should probably be a special attack.

Attack: Bite + 23 melee (4d6+12) or Claw +18 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack: Bite +23 melee (4d6+12) and 2 Claws +18 melee (2d6+12)

Space/Reach: These creatures are streamlined to be aerodynamic so they don't take up as much space as they are long. Similar to a dragon, they should have 20 ft space and 15 reach (20 ft with bite). Wingspan isn't a factor of reach; wings can be folded.

Debby

Zexion
2009-12-31, 03:36 PM
Of course. http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Avatar_Wiki

I will soon edit this post to show the monster entry for the direhorse. After that, I will work on the banshee.

According to the Pandora wiki, the Great Leonopteryx has a 80-foot wingspan, I thought that put it in the Titanic size category, which I though gave it a +64 bonus to Strength. I was wrong, however. I have now edited my post to show your ideas and contributions. Thank you.

In this case, wings are a factor of reach, as it very clearly used the claws on the ends of it's wings to slice... things.

AustontheGreat1
2009-12-31, 04:59 PM
So far, I think people have come up with great stuff, but a combination of it all seems best to me. If you disagree, please tell me, but this is what I think the Na'vi are like:

Na'vi
Humanoid (Na'vi)
Large: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, and his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.
Na'vi Base land speed is 50ft. Na'vi have a climb speed of 20 feet. A Na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 5, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing.
Low-Light Vision: A Na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. A Na'vi retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
+3 natural armor bonus.
Wild Empathy at character level, any other way of gaining this special ability stacks, but instead adds half the normal bonus.
Tsahaylu, see below.
+3 racial bonus on Swim, Balance, and Climb checks
Automatic Languages: Na'vi. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
Level Adjustment +3

Tsahaylu: The Na'vi have an evolutionary adaptation, an extension of their brain stem that ends in a highly responsive clump of tendrils that grip at anything that is presented to them. A Na'vi, as a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity, can present this clump of tendrils to the clump of tendrils of any other being who possesses this evolutionary adaptation. This can be done with a creature whether they are willing or not, though to do so to an unwilling creature, the Na'vi must win in a grapple and pin them first. After the presentation of this clump of tendrils, the two clumps grip each other, and form an extremely tight bond, through which both creatures can feel. While this bond has been formed, the two creatures are in constant communication, and any danger that one is aware of, both are aware of. Neither creature can be flanked or caught flatfooted, unless both are flanked or caught flatfooted. As soon as the two creatures form this bond, they immediately see into each others memories, and instantly understand each other, their attitudes towards each other immediately improve to 'Helpful'. In order to keep a bond steady, the two creatures must be within 10 feet of each other, moving farther away breaks the bond. Even if the bond has been broken, if a bond has existed previously, the attitudes of the two beings will never be worse than 'Indifferent'.

I have used ideas from various people, and I'll credit all who've posted with an idea when we're finished and we finalize the production of the Na'vi playable D&D race.

I am especially open to an alternate idea for Tsahaylu, and could you please provide me with a link to the Pandora wiki?

You gave them 2 separate bonuses to climb. was it intentional?

Gorgondantess
2009-12-31, 05:11 PM
You gave them 2 separate bonuses to climb. was it intentional?

Creatures with a climb speed have a +8 bonus to climb: the +3 is on top of that, apparently.

urkthegurk
2009-12-31, 06:52 PM
Unbreakable bones: resist bludgeoning and falling damage 10.

Is falling damage bludgeoning??

Lubirio
2009-12-31, 07:53 PM
the double climb bonus wasn't intentional, sorry, also, I can do Reinforced bonus: DR 2/- for a net result of:

Na'vi
Humanoid (Na'vi)
+3 natural armor bonus.
Tsahaylu, see below.
Reinforced Bones: Na'vi get Damage Reduction 2/-, this stacks with any Damage Reduction gained of the same type (for example the barbarian class ability).
+3 racial bonus on Swim and Balance checks
Level Adjustment +3

What do you think, is this any good?

Trixie
2009-12-31, 08:06 PM
Um, they weren't all that great. I'd give them +4 Str, +2 Con, -4 Int and +2 Wis.

Favored class: Ranger (gains special companion if one).

LA +3, Large, rest of the skills as above.

Lubirio
2009-12-31, 08:14 PM
How could you not give them any Dex bonus is my main question to that, and why would you decrease int by 4? 2 sounds more like it I think...

Trixie
2009-12-31, 08:54 PM
Honestly? Yes, I'd give them -2 to Int because, frankly, they don't seem to be that smart (plus, they're not yet on the stage where evolutionary pressure begins selecting intelligence traits over simple brawn) and another -2 because they lack education, no, the whole concept of skills as something codified. It's not like Int gives them penalty to anything and most "skills" they do try to improve/pass on are actually other things in D&D (like BAB and stat modifiers). They already have big bonuses in the skills where they're supposed to excel, so there's no need to make them skillmonkeys. They never were, they're fine with focusing on one-two skills.

As for Dex - because most of the skills they demonstrate (like climb or arrow damage) are strength based in D&D (which is why I gave them more strength than this puny +2), they didn't make that much of an impression to me and the whole thing was beginning (IMHO) to turn into a stat Mary Sue. Most iconic LA +2-3 races, like Drow have nowhere near these modifiers and the same LA. If they have LA/Hit dice +5-6 - fine, give them all these modifiers, but they won't make a viable race in my opinion then, just another CR 5 monster.

GFawkes
2010-01-01, 01:48 AM
Honestly? Yes, I'd give them -2 to Int because, frankly, they don't seem to be that smart (plus, they're not yet on the stage where evolutionary pressure begins selecting intelligence traits over simple brawn) and another -2 because they lack education, no, the whole concept of skills as something codified.

I wouldn't say that they aren't smart, just ignorant. In the movie, that was the first human tech they had ever seen. They didn't have any better ideas than 'use arrows'. As for their skills, I'd say that they are smart in that aspect. I bought the Pandora survival guide, and it seems that they train their skills from when they are kids, so they are intelligent about those things.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-01, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't say that they aren't smart, just ignorant. In the movie, that was the first human tech they had ever seen. They didn't have any better ideas than 'use arrows'. As for their skills, I'd say that they are smart in that aspect. I bought the Pandora survival guide, and it seems that they train their skills from when they are kids, so they are intelligent about those things.

Five thousand years ago, the average human was at the same tech level as the na'vi. In astronomical terms, 5,000 is the blink of an eye.

BTW, I like how we're all dancing around the numbers, with no real consensus emerging. We've all seen the same movie, & there's like 10 different takes here on the critters in it.

GFawkes
2010-01-01, 02:05 AM
Five thousand years ago, the average human was at the same tech level as the na'vi. In astronomical terms, 5,000 is the blink of an eye.

So you're saying that humans were stupider 5000 years ago?

BTW, I had the poison thing in my version because the Pandoran atmosphere is full of toxins that render it unbreathable to humans, but the Na'vi can breathe it just fine.

Rithaniel
2010-01-01, 04:17 AM
like Drow have nowhere near these modifiers and the same LA. If they have LA/Hit dice +5-6 - fine, give them all these modifiers, but they won't make a viable race in my opinion then, just another CR 5 monster.

Uh huh, and you forgot the part where the Drow suck. In fact, you forgot the part where everything with LA or Racial HD in the Monster Manual sucks. If you don't understand what I mean by this, then I will explain, using the Drow as an example:

Drow are standard elves, with +2 Int, +2 Cha, SR, three SLA's, and some stuff no one cares about, who start 2 levels behind everyone else. The logic behind this is that these SLA's can be pretty useful, and people thought the racial ability score boosts would matter.

Now, lets compare to another type of elf: the grey elf. Grey elves are standard elves, with +2 Int, -2 Str, who start at the same time as everyone else. Now, they don't get the SLA's, so, the arguement is holding up, but, then they get half of the racial ability score boosts that the drow get, and then a penalty. You could argue that this matters, but, first, name a class that uses both Int and Cha at the same time. Oh dear, looks like you only care about the half that... both are getting. Though, lets look at the grey elves favored class, oh, what do you know, it's wizard. Looks like you don't care about that penalty to Str. Oh, but wait...

Don't wizards get the spells that the Drow get as SLA's all by ecl 3. Oh, what do you know, they do (except for faerie fire, but why would you care?).

So, let me ask you a question: Why should I be starting at ecl 3, when I could have been a grey elf wizard, and done the SAME THING by the SAME LEVEL, only, much, much better?

Just cause someone else made the mistake, doesn't mean we all have to.

----

Now, there are a few things that I'm noticing in the creature builds, and I have a couple of comments, but first, yeah, I forgot about the 'after the bond is broken' thing, good catch. Now then, some of this stuff doesn't make much sense. For example, the 'natural empathy' thing: that doesn't make any sense at all, they get their boost to communicating with animals via their brainstem. Do you honestly think these guys would know how to even handle a puppy if they met it? No, all their 'natural empathy' stuff, comes from being able to make a link with something else, and being in constant communication with it. So, you don't need to make a check to communicate, since that is what you are already doing.

Now, next up, a comment that goes back to my racial build. Natural balance, seemed like a no-brainer, from my point of veiw. Think about that scene where--

(Justin Case to the rescue)

Jake was chasing after the girl na'vi for the first time, and they went out across that branch that was extremely high up. Yeah, he faltered for a moment, but he didn't fall or lose his balance. In fact, after a second, he wasn't even worried about it. Then, after a day, he found himself running across these things.

--So, that must mean that their balance a natural part of being a na'vi, like their bodies are accustomed to it, or whatnot.

As a rule of thumb, I generally do not mess with mental ability scores because of 'how they grew up' or 'what situation they are in', since, they could very well have not been in that situation, or grew up that way. For example, if a na'vi were to be picked up by grey elves as a kid, and rigorously trained and educated by them, do you think that kid would be ignorant in any way, shape, or form? Obviously not. A racial penalty to a mental ability score, should not be given, unless there is a specific racial reason for it. Such as 'their brain is less evolved' or 'they have difficulty absorbing new information'. So, no, there would not be a single mental ability score penalty for the na'vi.

Also, the na'vi are far from having emmense strength, since the girl na'vi (forgot her name, so sue me)--

was struggling to get out from underneath that viper cat thing when it was killed and landed on her.

--So, they obviously aren't 'big strong brute' types. Indeed, they were far more limber and lithe, hiding, balancing, moving silently, dodging stuff, etc, etc. Though, I can see the jump/climb arguements. Why not just add a little skill line that states 'a na'vi can use Dex instead of Str for the purpose of climb and jump' (maybe swim, not sure though, can't remember them swimming in the movie).

As for the natural armor thing/DR thing, if you guys were forgetting, it was their bones that were reinforced, not their skin. This would mean that they can get cut, bruised, or skewered, just like everyone else, and would likely not get DR, maybe you could justify the natural armor as 'they're bigger, that means their skin is thicker', but, eh, it doesn't make sense.

----

Also, for a final note, LA, cannot possibly work, at all, once you get past +3 LA, because the difference in hp that you are going to have, is, at that point, so staggering, that you might as well have been a kobold.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-01, 04:31 AM
So you're saying that humans were stupider 5000 years ago?

No, & if I have to explain myself to the person that I'm agreeing with, then my point is proven. :smallwink:

Humans were just as stupid as they are today, only back then, the average person had almost non-existent technology, & were equally lacking knowledge of the proper workings of the universe.

jmbrown
2010-01-01, 07:14 AM
Just as a reminder, the (important named) na'vi learned 6th-9th grade English in the course of 6 years or however long the humans occupied the planet before the movie began. I removed the intelligence penalty because it's clear they can grasp complex thinking and cognitive reasoning just as easily as a human.

I think their wisdom should be +0 as their wisdom is imparted mostly through the memories of their ancestors. Their strength should be +2 because the wiki says they're 4x stronger than human (average human has 10 strength giving him a max carrying capacity of 100lbs; a na'vi is large sized so that automatically makes them 2x as strong; 12 strength would give them a max carrying capacity of approximately 500 which is reasonable). I dropped the fact that they probably can't breathe oxygen simply because it doesn't fit in a D&D universe. Also, when the mental bond with an animal is broken through death, I made it so they're dazed for 1 round instead of taking damage.

As for natural armor, they run around near naked so a +3 bonus is reasonable. If they didn't have natural armor (+0 natural armor I attribute to having skin thickness similar to a human) they'd get cut and scrapped running through the forest in buckskins. Even American Indians wore simple clothing that covered their legs.

Finally, I modified their damage reduction from a dash to bludgeoning as it makes more sense. They die from a bullet just like anyone else but their natural carbons resist weapons that shatter or crush bones.

All of that equals to a reasonable LA of +2. I reduced the monstrous humanoid levels to 1 which reflects the fact that the race as a whole are are born into a role of natural hunters but they're not penalized for becoming artisans or craftsmen. They're not that physically imposing but they're not as dull or simple as the common D&D monstrous humanoid. Their natural skills make them inclined to hunting and scouting.

My final writeup:

Na'vi
# +2 strength, +6 dexterity, +4 constitution, -2 charisma. na'vi are lithe and limber but can be gruff and stubborn.

# Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters.

# Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.

# A na'vi's base land speed is 40 feet.

# A na'vi has a climb speed of 20 feet. na'vi are natural climbers, able to scramble up trees with ease. A na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing na'vi. Also, na'vi add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.

# Low-Light Vision: A na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

# +4 racial bonus on Jump, Tumble, and Balance checks: na'vi are accomplished acrobats at home in dense jungles.

# Natural Armor +3. Na'vi have particularly thick hides.

# Damage Reduction 5/slashing or piercing. Na'vi bones are reinforced by natural forming carbon that protects them against crushing and falling.

# Neural Queue. The tendrils in a na'vi's braid can be used to bond with animals. The na'vi can bond with any willing animal that also has neural link (called a 'whip' on animals). A hostile animal must be pinned for one round after which the na'vi can force the bond.

A bonded animal's attitude is helpful and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi receive a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the link is broken and the surviving creature is dazed for one round. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider although they use the highest will save between them.

# Racial Hit Dice: A na'vi begins with one level of monstrous humanoid, which provide 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +2, Ref +0, and Will +2.

# Racial Skills: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

# Racial Feats: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid level gives it one feat.

# Automatic Languages: Common, Na'vi.

# Favored Class: Ranger

# Level Adjustment: +1

Lubirio
2010-01-01, 07:46 AM
Now that I hink about it, your writeup (jmbrown = you) makes more sense, even though I generally dislike racial HD, but I think common shouldn't be an automatic language, because most Na'vi in the movie didn't speak English (common) but only Na'vi.

Can I put your writeup in the second post (of course giving you credit), with the change of common as a non-automatic language?

jmbrown
2010-01-01, 08:10 AM
Common is typical of all adventurers IE player characters. I wouldn't put it past me that at least a small percentage of elves in a typical fantasy universe don't speak common but all PC elves do.

But yes, do whatever you want with it.

Edit: Also, don't forget that monsters with 1 racial hit die can exchange it for a class level. A level 1 na'vi ranger would have an ECL of 3.

Edit 2: Ugh, more changes! Their LA is now +1. In my opinion, LA +2 or more should be reserved for creatures with bonuses totaling more than +10 (with at least 1/3 of that going to mental stats), creatures with multiple special qualities, and creatures with innate spellcasting.

My write up makes them physically imposing but +6 dexterity, natural climb, bludgeoning resistance, and a few skill bonuses aren't that great past level 5 when people start flying and crap. Level adjustment creatures suck because their natural abilities give them an edge at the minimum level but when everyone else is 3-4 levels higher than you, you fall flat on your face in any scenario. They're strong in low-magic or low-level worlds (E6 anyone?) but in a traditional D&D campaign I just can't give them level adjustment higher than 1.

Man, I could never be on a development team because I'd end up changing every tiny thing left and right.

Debihuman
2010-01-01, 11:53 AM
Zeta Kai --
My impression of the Na'vi is that they are Large and use Large weapons.

Why aren't Climb, Handle animal, Ride and Tumble class skills for a Na'vi?

• +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma

Not sure I agree with those racial adjustments but I need more time to ponder on this.

Debby

kyuubigan
2010-01-01, 12:12 PM
Zeta Kai --
My impression of the Na'vi is that they are Large and use Large weapons and have long limbs, giving them additional reach. Normally Large creatures only have a 5 ft. reach.

Why aren't Climb, Handle animal, Ride and Tumble class skills for a Na'vi?

I rather like JMBrown's race except for the +6 Con. I'd put it as +2 Con.

Debby

They do use Large weapons, and almost all Large creatures have a 10 ft. reach as a rule of thumb.

They do have Climb and Tumble as class skills, but they depend on the Neural Queue instead of making Ride checks. But I do agree that they need to have Ride as a racial class skill.

The reason the Na'vi would have such a high Con modifier is not only because they can take more punishment than humans, but their stamina is substantially higher than ours. They can run, climb, and fight for long periods of time without tiring. Think to the scene where Jake gets his banshee. Jake was the only one that was winded from the endless climbing, and that's because he was still somewhat out of shape compared to most Na'vi. I believe that most Na'vi take the Endurance feat right off the bat if they don't get it from a class.

I believe that jmbrown's interpretation of the Na'vi is fairly accurate, and I am looking forward to using this in the campaign I am planning. That is if it's alright with the author.

Debihuman
2010-01-01, 12:17 PM
If you read Zeta Kai's Racial Traits for the Na'vi, they use Medium Weapons although clearly the stat block presented them using Large weapons.

Na’vi as Characters
Na’vi characters possess the following racial traits:

* +2 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
* Large Size: As a Large creature, a Na’vi gains a -1 size penalty to Armor Class, a -1 size penalty on attack rolls, & a -4 size penalty on Hide checks, but he or she uses Medium-size weapons, gains a +4 size bonus on Grapple checks, & his or her lifting & carrying limits are 2× of those of a Medium character.

I missed that Large creatures (Tall) have 10 ft. reach. My error. Fixed previous post to reflect that.

Debby

kyuubigan
2010-01-01, 12:20 PM
Alright, I see what your talking about. Yeah it doesn't make sense for them to use Medium weapons at all. Their bows are HUGE, so huge that there is no way a human can wield them without suffering penalties.

But that doesn't matter to me as I'm using jmbrown's interpretation.

Debihuman
2010-01-01, 12:31 PM
Also, I think we're forgetting the reason that the Na'vi are so tall and lithe is that they live on a lower gravity planet. That means that as strong as they are, they'd be weaker on Earth. It was difficult to judge how strong the humans were in relation because they all had to wear so much equipment.

Debby

jmbrown
2010-01-01, 12:44 PM
Also, I think we're forgetting the reason that the Na'vi are so tall and lithe is that they live on a lower gravity planet. That means that as strong as they are, they'd be weaker on Earth. It was difficult to judge how strong the humans were in relation because they all had to wear so much equipment.

Debby

Not necessarily. I don't know the science behind how gravity affects musculature but as long as the difference in gravity isn't too drastically different (and it didn't appear to be) then their bodies would slowly adapt to the difference in gravity. They're large creatures and they ride powerful beasts so a +2 strength is reasonable.

I'm working on a viperwolf write up right now.

kyuubigan
2010-01-01, 12:46 PM
Pandora's gravity isn't much weaker than Earth's, but I do see your point.

Debihuman
2010-01-01, 02:50 PM
My notes are in red.

Na'vi

[Low-light vision is in color; Darkvision is in black and white. Normally, Monstrous Humanoids have Darkvision, not Low-light vision so you should mention this. Also, you might want to take note that the Na'vi take advantage of the indigenous bio-luminescence]

# Damage Reduction 2/-. Na'vi bones are reinforced by a natural chemical that makes them resistant to damage. [It is stated that their bones are reinforced with carbon fibers].

# Bonding Tendrils. The tendrils in a na'vi's braid can be used to bond with animals in order to share a collective conscious.

[The bonding tendrils also work with the native plant, The Tree of Souls].

Bonding with a willing animal is as simple as combining tendrils. A hostile animal must be knocked unconscious through non-lethal damage or pinned for at least one round.

A bonded animal is friendly to the na'vi and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi receive a +4 bonus to spot and listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the survivor takes 1d6 nonlethal damage per hit dice of the fallen creature. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider although they use the highest will save between them.

Debby

jmbrown
2010-01-01, 04:24 PM
You're looking at an old write up. I should probably edit that one out. The new one is a few posts up.

The reason I gave them low-light was because of the phospherescent plants. They really have no need for darkvision because their homeworld is naturally illuminated. I was also thinking along those lines because Sully created a torch although it was likely used as a scare tactic against the monsters.

GFawkes
2010-01-01, 05:25 PM
Here's the comparison of Earth and Pandora:

Diameter (km): Earth; 1275.27 | Pandora; 11447
Mass: Earth; 1 | Pandora; .72
Surface gravity: Earth; 1 | Pandora; .8
Atmospheric density: Earth; 1 | Pandora; 1.2
Surface Pressure: Earth; 1 | Pandora; 1.1

Debihuman
2010-01-01, 05:26 PM
I've totally botched the Na'vi so I'm going back to the drawing board and will post the correct stats eventually...

Monstrous Humanoids get good Reflex and Will saves, so a starting Na'vi would have Fort +0, Ref +3 and Will +3 (for two hit dice) [adjusted for stats of course]. If they only start with one hit die, they get Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +2. I'm not sure where you got other numbers from. This na'vi also gains +2 to Fort from being a first level warrior [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +3 are the base saves before ability modifiers are factored in ].

Also, I'm not convinced that the LA is only +1 as you presented it. +10 skills, + bond with animals and ride untrained, also they are Large and DR 5/slashing and piercing, +3 natural armor, plus they have a Climb speed. I'd peg this as closer to LA +2.

So here is the Na'vi (as using JMBrown's racial traits but with 2 racial HD)

Na’vi
Large Monstrous Humanoid, Warrior 1
Hit Dice: 3d8+12 (25 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +3 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
Attack: Large Longspear +2 melee (2d6+1/×3) or Large Longbow +5 ranged (2d6+3/×3, 100 ft.)
Full Attack: Large Longspear +2 melee (2d6+1/×3) or Large Longbow +5 ranged (2d6+3/×3, 100 ft.)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: DR 5/Slashing or Piercing, Low-light vision, Neural Queue
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 17 (+3), Con 18 (+4), Dex 19 (+4), Int 12 (+1), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 6 (-2)
Skills: Balance +11, Climb+15, Handle Animal+1, Jump +10, Listen+3, Ride+7, Spot+3, Survival +3, Tumble +11
Feats: Improved Initiative, Power Attack
Environment: Temperate forest
Organization: Solitary, squad (2-4), company (11-20 plus two 3rd-level sergeants and one leader of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 20% noncombatants plus one 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, five 5th-level lieutenants, and three 7th-level captains)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: no coins; standard goods; ½ standard items
Alignment: often Chaotic Good
Advancement: by character class; Favored class: Ranger
Level Adjustment: +2

The above na’vi started with the elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8). This na’vi gets 18 skill points (12 for her first hit die and 3 for each additional hit dice). I put 3 skill ranks in each skill. As a Large creature, the na'vi have a -4 to any Hide checks which I did not include. Since this na'vi has +4 Dex modifier, her Hide check is at +0.

Na’vi as Characters
• +2 strength, +6 dexterity, +4 constitution, -2 charisma. na'vi are lithe and limber but can be gruff and stubborn.
• Large size. -1 penalty to Armor Class, -1 penalty on attack rolls, -4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits double those of Medium characters. They use Large weapons.
• Space/Reach: 10 feet/10 feet.
• A na'vi's base land speed is 40 feet.
• A na'vi has a climb speed of 20 feet. na'vi are natural climbers, able to scramble up trees with ease. A na'vi has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. It must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC of more than 0, but it always can choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If it chooses an accelerated climb, it moves at double its climb speed and makes a single Climb check at a -5 penalty. It cannot run while climbing. It retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus on their attacks against a climbing na'vi. Also, na'vi add their Dexterity modifier to Climb checks instead of their Strength modifier.
• Low-Light Vision: A na'vi can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Na’vi do not have Darkvision as Monstrous Humanoids since their natural environment has too much bio-luminescence for this to have developed.
• +4 racial bonus on Balance, Jump and Tumble checks: na'vi are accomplished acrobats at home in dense jungles.
• Natural Armor +3. Na'vi have particularly thick hides.
• Damage Reduction 5/slashing or piercing. Na'vi bones are reinforced by natural forming carbon that protects them against crushing and falling.
• Neural Queue. The tendrils in a na'vi's braid can be used to bond with animals and with the Tree of Souls. The na'vi can bond with any willing animal that also has neural link (called a 'whip' on animals). A hostile animal must be pinned for one round after which the na'vi can force the bond.

A bonded animal's attitude is helpful and follows all commands (even ones it may not be trained in). Because of the shared consciousness, both animal and na'vi rider receive a +4 bonus to Spot and Listen checks. A bonded rider can take 10 on ride checks even if untrained or in a stressful situation.

If either mount or rider dies while bonded, the link is broken and the surviving creature is dazed for one round. Spells or effects that require a will save affect both mount and rider although they use the highest will save between them.

• Racial Hit Dice: A na'vi begins with two levels of monstrous humanoid, which provide 2d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +3, and Will +3.
• Racial Skills: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 4 × (2 + Int modifier) for its first hit dice, and (2 + Int modifier) for each additional hit die. Its class skills are Balance, Climb, Handle Animal, Jump, Listen, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.
• Racial Feats: A na'vi's monstrous humanoid level gives it one feat.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Na'vi.
• Favored Class: Ranger
• Level Adjustment: +2

Debby

Debihuman
2010-01-02, 07:22 AM
Edit 2: Ugh, more changes! Their LA is now +1. In my opinion, LA +2 or more should be reserved for creatures with bonuses totaling more than +10 (with at least 1/3 of that going to mental stats), creatures with multiple special qualities, and creatures with innate spellcasting.

My write up makes them physically imposing but +6 dexterity, natural climb, bludgeoning resistance, and a few skill bonuses aren't that great past level 5 when people start flying and crap. Level adjustment creatures suck because their natural abilities give them an edge at the minimum level but when everyone else is 3-4 levels higher than you, you fall flat on your face in any scenario. They're strong in low-magic or low-level worlds (E6 anyone?) but in a traditional D&D campaign I just can't give them level adjustment higher than 1.

Technically they DO have more than +10 skills since they get Climb as a Speed which gives them +8 to Climb and they get to have bonded mounts and use Ride untrained and Take 10 with it. Those skills are in addition to the ones that they get from purely racial bonuses. Add all together, the Na'vi are much more skilled than average characters. Don't think that those skill bonuses don't matter because they do.

At level 5, the fighters aren't flying (not without magic). Adventuring Na'vi probably have the same access to wealth and magical items as other PCs so they'd have the same access to potions of flying and what not. On the other hand, they can fly with the Mountain Banshee after all. Certainly if your game is going to have Na'vi, it's probably going to have Mountain Banshee.

Anyone game for statting up the Mountain Banshee?

Debby

Lubirio
2010-01-02, 07:33 AM
I was thinking about the bio-luminescence, and came up with this:

Bio-luminescence: in conditions of non-magical darkness, Na'vi give off light in clear illumination to a range of 10ft and shadowy illumination to a range of 20ft, this ability can be suppressed as a free action, and activated again also as a free action, when suppressed, Na'vi give of light on shadowy illumination to a range of 5ft.

That and low-lightvision would replace darkvision. Sound reasonable?

Debihuman
2010-01-02, 08:12 AM
Actually, I thought the na'vis' bio-luminescence came from the war paint they used. Of course, that would be a nifty item to have at times.

Debby

Obrysii
2010-01-02, 08:56 AM
I apologize if this is no longer on-topic or can be regarded as useful, but here's how I would stat them out.

Na'vi Racial Traits
Str +4, Dex +2, Wis +4. Na'vi are strong, highly dexterious, and possess a deep wisdom.
Size: Large. Na'vi evolved on a low-gravity planet, and have grown to nearly double the size they would have on a normal gravity planet. Na'vi have a face/reach of 10ft/10ft and have all other benefits of Large size.
Speed: 40ft., Climb 20ft. Na'vi have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always take 10.
Durable Bones: Na'vi have a natural armor bonus of +4 due to the durability of their body, reinforced by naturally formed carbon fiber.
Tendril (psi): Na'vi possess a tendril at the base of their head which can connect with other compatible tendrils. All large lifeforms on Pandora possess this tendril, allowing a Na'vi to mindlink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm) with any large creature on the planet. Activating this ability is a melee touch attack, and is usable at-will. If a Na'vi possesses power points, they may augment it as per the power, though they may never target more than one creature at a time.
Naturally Psionic: Na'vi possess 2 power points, and gain additional power points equal to their Wisdom modifier.
LA +3. Na'vi are naturally powerful, and would be suitable as a 4th level character.

As a right of passage, all Na'vi must Mindlink with a Banshee - which requires the Na'vi to augment their Mindlink power using their natural psionic energy. As it is a test of adulthood, and an "average" Na'vi has Wis 14, they have sufficient power points to augment their Mindlink to an unwilling creature - such as the banshee.

Debihuman
2010-01-02, 11:24 AM
I think it's still relevant. Everyone has pretty much said the same things with a few variations here and there. I think the hardest part is to decide how many racial hit dice the Na'vi should have. That only becomes a headache if you are going to play a Na'vi rather than use them as NPCs.

Debby

GFawkes
2010-01-02, 02:22 PM
I should also say this: In the Pandora Survival Guide (book for the movie), it says that the average Na'vi is four times as strong as an average human. That might result in a strength bonus of some kind.

urkthegurk
2010-01-02, 02:42 PM
I think +2 is way to low. I know Pandora is a low-grav world, but these people are 10m ft tall.

According to the Avatar wiki: "A complex pattern of iridescent dots and lines, perfectly symmetrical, runs over the body, seemingly following the lines of the nervous or circulatory system. These are bioluminescent chromatophores, and they glow in the dark like fireflies" But they do paint themselves, too.

Stack that with low-light vision, and you're doing excellent. Can anyone think of a instance where they displayed darkvision, or are we just assuming that because they're cat people?

jmbrown
2010-01-02, 02:55 PM
I should also say this: In the Pandora Survival Guide (book for the movie), it says that the average Na'vi is four times as strong as an average human. That might result in a strength bonus of some kind.

As I noted on the last page, in D&D rules a large creature that's 4x stronger than a human has a +2 strength (humans have 10-11 strength average which is 100 pound max lift; double that for a large creature and increase it to 12 for a max lift of 500 pounds and some change).

Maldraugedhen
2010-01-02, 04:58 PM
[/lurk]
I would think the Na'vi would be more accurately represented with low-light vision and not darkvision, mostly because of the aforementioned torch scene. He was making the torch in part because he couldn't see the creatures. Yeah, he used it to frighten them off a bit, but humans (and he was still thinking as a human at that point) are highly sight-dependent creatures. If he was going to fight them off, he needed to be able to see them. Plus, we the viewers couldn't see them fully, either, until he had the torch right in their faces, and we were at least in part supposed to be getting the same sort of view he had--that's a good chunk of the point of the whole movie.
[lurk]

Debihuman
2010-01-02, 09:42 PM
Stack that with low-light vision, and you're doing excellent. Can anyone think of a instance where they displayed darkvision, or are we just assuming that because they're cat people?

I don't think the na'vi exhibited darkvision in the movie; but it is a trait of Monstrous Humanoids. Also, cats don't have darkvision; they have low-light vision (see MM page 270). Animals get low-light vision as an Animal trait.
It's easy to swap out low-light vision for darkvision, but it should be mentioned in the racial traits of the na'vi. There are always exceptions to the rules, just be aware of the rules and know when it is appropriate to change them.

Debby

Latronis
2010-01-03, 01:34 AM
Most animals shouldn't have low light vision anyway.