PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming for Aberrant Wildshape

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-30, 01:14 PM
Build will be W.S. Ranger-5/ Rogue-1/Daggerspell Shaper-9/Warshaper or Nature's Warrior-5 (N.W if I decide to use mystic ranger variant to retain more spellcasting). No MoMF.

First: Someone mentioned to me that Aberrant Dragonmark can be used instead of Aberration Blood to meet the requirements for Aberrant feats. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Okay. I'll have access to aberration shapes ranging from tiny to large and I get to keep special attacks, so I need to pick a few good shapes (around a dozen or so) to keep on hand in flashcard format so I'm not slowing down play by going through books all the time. So far here is what I've picked, but I'm more than open to options and recommendations from you fine folk.

-Rust Monster (For metal barriers and baddies with nasty weapons/armor. Also very, very cute :smallbiggrin:)

-Chuul Good Str/Dex, swim speed, Constrict + Paralysis= Nom. My choice in case of water hazards. +10 Natural Armor too (Do I get my shapes NA?)

-Vivisector-(MMV) Flight is handy and I can assume this form early. Not sure if I'll get vivisection(EX) ability or not though. If so, yay! If not, I'll pass on this one. Lists a potion among it's equipment, so I assume it can use items.

-Hook Horror- Rend and power sunder can be useful in combat. Has a climb speed too. However, I'll be screwed if I fall on my back :smallwink:

-Deadly Dancer (ToM, page 80) Looks like a solid medium sized combatant shape. Can attack everything in range, so with Warshaper and Enlarge person it can slice up large areas of the battlefield. Also fast.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-30, 01:21 PM
Hello Beholder as a wildshape!

and in an epic campaign, my buddy did a druid with that feat. He Gargantuan and Colossal Wildshape and wildshaped into Metrioid Prime (D&D wiki) [Its an Outsider(Abberation)]

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-31, 09:52 AM
Ah! How could I forget about the humble Beholder! (And the beholder kin too)

Hmm... I'm not to keen on using the feats needed to get the eye rays though. Seems like a big investment for only one shape.

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-31, 12:28 PM
Ah! How could I forget about the humble Beholder! (And the beholder kin too)

Hmm... I'm not to keen on using the feats needed to get the eye rays though. Seems like a big investment for only one shape.

Beholderkin gives you a VAST baseline. Then basically anything from LoM is fair game. Aboleths, Illithid-Spawn, even others of Beholder-type. That said, there are books that have more Abberations, some, quite awesome.

and what feats are needed for eye rays? You don't need Natural Spell (Beholders CAN talk) and I cant think of any others.

Coidzor
2009-12-31, 12:33 PM
^: There's a set of feats that each time it's taken lets one take on one more Su/Ex ability when wildshaping into that form.

Believe it's good for all forms that are wildshaped into, as that each time it's taken, it just lets one get an additional Su/Ex ability from any and all wildshape forms.

Some believe it's only for specific Su/Ex abiliites or only for a specific Su/Ex ability in a specific form which would make the feat all but useless.

...Come to think of it. Brainstorm wouldn't be a bad name for an aberration...

AirGuitarGod32
2009-12-31, 12:50 PM
Using just a Few books (including two off-brand books, the Necromancer Games: Tomes of Horror I&II) I found a lot of Abberations

LoM: Basically anything stated in the book
Underdark: Lurker, Ineffable Horror, Annihilator, Mindwitness, Elder Brain
MMIII: harpoon spider, lifeleech otyugh, lurking strangler,
mindshredder larva, mindshredder warrior, mindshredder
zenthal, odopi, prismatic roper, quaraphon, rot reaver, runehound,
seryulin, shrieking terror, stonesinger, susurrus
MMII: avolakia, catoblepas, darktentacles, fihyrs, grell, hook
horror, ixitxachitls, julajimus, meenlock, moonbeast, morkoth, neogis,
psurlons, windghost, wyste
NG ToH I: Adherer, belabra, blood golem, boggart, bone cobbler,
bonesucker, carbuncle, carrion moth, crystalline horror, decapus, dust
digger, executioner’s hood, eye of the deep, fl umph, fogwarden, froghemoth,
gambado, gorbel, hell moth, lurker above, slime crawler, tentamort,
thessalmonster, trapper, vilstrak, volt, wolf-in-sheep’s clothing
NG ToH II: Arachnoplasm, bedlam, cerebral stalker, clamor, cragman, draconid, encephalongorger, gutslug, mawler, nuckalavee, sand kraken, slaughterford, tentacled horror
Psi Handbook: Folugub, Intellect Devourer, Neothelid, Temporal Filcher, Thought Eater

Keld Denar
2009-12-31, 01:59 PM
Does Wayne Brady have to choker (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/choker.htm) a beach?

Would take the feat Assume Supernatural Ability to gain the Quickness(SU) ability, but that would be totally worth it. Still gets Imp Grab and Constrict by itself, which is decent.

Plus, Chokers are AWESOME.

I'd suggest 1 level of NW for Constrict, especially for Choker or Chuul form, and put the rest in Warshaper. Warshaper is REALLY good.

Aberrant Dragonmark would not allow you to qualify for Aberrant Wildshape. Its just the Dragonmark that is an Aberration, not your whole self. If I was you, I'd take Aberrant Blood (Flexible Limbs) for the +2 grapple, which you would keep in all forms. Then take Inhuman Reach for the +5' reach, which again, you would keep in all forms. That combines with the +5' reach you get from Warshaper. As a large (tall) creature, you could have 20' reach with your natural weapons.