PDA

View Full Version : Scion of an archdevil [3.5]

sombrastewart
2009-12-31, 02:50 PM
Hello, everyone. I'm a lurker around here that greatly appreciates the knowledge this place has and have come to beg some help. I rarely play casters, but in this particular case, I've got a concept I'd like to do. And yes, this is cross-posted at another board, but I like having lots of input.

First off, the restrictions for this 3.5 game; Core and Completes only, shying away from Leadership and no psionics. The GM for this game also has something against ToB, even though he admits it's not overpowered. (Don't ask, I've tried to figure it out, he just doesn't like it.) Please don't ask about going outside these, it won't be allowed.

What I'm trying to do is create a character (for an evil party) that has the backstory of being a scion of one of the archdevils of the Nine Hells. He doesn't know which one, but he has suspicions on the level of power they have as well as the philosophy he was instilled with: accrue power, become worthy of your heritage.

My old character was a Warlock 7/ Binder 1/Hellfire Warlock 3, but we're running the Expedition to Castle Greyhawk and doing so rather unforgivingly, and he didn't do well at all, so I'll need a bit more power than that. While Favored Soul has a bit of flavor that kind of fits, I know it's not the most optimal choice.

Best ideas I've got are either Favored Soul or Cloistered Cleric (which I'm pretty sure I can get away with). My line of thought on the cleric was that he's devoted to the idea of the the Hells instead of one particular entity (because he doesn't know which entity). Again, not playing casters gives me an issue on spell choice and domains to pick. As of right now, there's a bard, an assassin and a wizard/rogue/swiftblade (I think). The bard has Leadership for a big mess of people, which has the GM pretty aggravated, and this is after he originally played a serious CoDzilla as his last character.

Ability score rolls: 18, 15, 13, 13, 10, 8

The best I idea I have involving the cleric is to advance until I can qualify for Contemplative, to pick up extra domains. Contemplative is nice and all, but I'm not sure how it stacks up with other divine PrCs. I had also thought about maybe trying to work out Dweomerkeeper, but again, not being familiar with casters means I'm not sure about the best way to go about it. I had considered the idea of doing with a Sorc/Favored Soul for some attribute synergy, but the ability to spontaneously convert to a particular spell is kind of lost with those classes.

I want to say thanks in advance to anyone that takes time to offer some thoughts, and I'm more than happy to cough up more information if I haven't provided enough.

Thurbane
2009-12-31, 08:19 PM
It's a shame Fiendish Codex II isn't on the list, it's ideal for all your devilish needs...

Zaydos
2009-12-31, 08:49 PM
Which is odd since the old character he listed used a prestige class from it and a class from Tome of Magic. Dweomerkeeper is web enhancement I think, so I've never touched it just heard it's OP. Without Versatile Spellcaster (RoD) + Heighten Spell to get into Mystic Theurge early it seems unlikely to be worth it.

If you're starting at the same level as your old character you listed then couldn't you start out as a Cloistered Cleric 10/Contemplative 1? Better yet if you're willing/have room to spend a feat you could go Cloistered Cleric 5/Divine Oracle 5/Contemplative 1. Not sure. I've played ages but never really optimized before. That would hurt your lore ability as a cloistered cleric, but give you 5 domains (Knowledge + 2 as Cloistered Cleric + Divination from Divine Oracle + 1 of choice).

And how often did I get ninja'd?

sombrastewart
2010-01-01, 01:01 AM
Which is odd since the old character he listed used a prestige class from it and a class from Tome of Magic. Dweomerkeeper is web enhancement I think, so I've never touched it just heard it's OP. Without Versatile Spellcaster (RoD) + Heighten Spell to get into Mystic Theurge early it seems unlikely to be worth it.

No, Hellfire Warlock was from Fiendish Codex 2, the GM was very clear about this next one adhering on the Core/Completes thing.

Dweomerkeeper strikes me as not quite as useful if you're not abusing things like Supernatural Miracle. I had considered it in using Sorc/Favored Soul for some attribute synergy, but that makes the spontaneous conversion useless.

Gnorman
2010-01-01, 06:37 PM
Alter the fluff and alignment restriction of the Malconvoker (make it an opposed Diplomacy check instead of a Bluff vs. Sense Motive one) and take that. Summon the hordes of the hells to do your bidding.

mabriss lethe
2010-01-01, 06:58 PM
mage of the arcane order anyone. perhaps refluff it so that your spellpool comes from a fiendish pact. you can borrow from the power of the devils, but you have to repay it or they cut you off. (and possibly send spellthief kneebreakers to your door to collect on the debt.)