PDA

View Full Version : [AD&D 2nd edition revised] Looking for something similar to 3.5 Warlock

Snow
2010-01-02, 02:22 PM
I'm about to start dm a AD&D 2nd rev. campaign in Ravenloft. The characters (and the players) no nothing about ravenloft they are coming to the setting from different parts of the planes (so far two from planescape, one from spelljammer, and one from faerun) I allow every AD&D setting except Dark Sun.

A player wants to play with a 3.5 warlokc - eldritch knight, I have been running mad, reading all the books looking for a kit or alternative class that could be similar to the 3.5 Warlock but without success.

Also someone wants a beguiler - spellthief. For this I was thinking an spellslayer from Al-Qadim or a shadowwalker from FR.

jmbrown
2010-01-02, 02:35 PM
Pretty sure no class or kit exists that gives someone what is effectively infinite spell casting. The mystic comes close but that's only because he gets spell-like abilities... which he can use once per week. The witch also comes close in that she can automatically brew potions and hex people.

I recommend just creating a new kit yourself. Give him eldritch blast but limit his spell casting progression to that of half his level. Also, make his drawbacks in his appearance so he instills a -4 penalty or so to reaction rolls. He is touched by the devil, sort to speak.

LibraryOgre
2010-01-03, 03:21 AM
There's nothing really like a 3.5 warlock in 2e. If you have Spells and magic, however, you might try looking at a priest from there, hedged about with taboos and religious restrictions (flaws), but with a variety of at-will granted powers.

For a beguiler, look to a Song Mage, perhaps using the channelling rules from spells and magic. It's not a precise fit, but it lets them cast any spell they want. For the spell thief aspect, there's not a lot that can be done... MAYBE adapt something like the spellfilcher (from Complete Elves), but that's not the least bit what they're looking for.

jmbrown
2010-01-03, 03:24 AM
The Complete Book of Necromancers also contains a write up for a "traditional" necromancer kit (evil guy in pointy hat, goatee, and black robes). He gets a variety of dark boons that he can use multiple times per day as a result.

hamlet
2010-01-04, 09:58 AM
Lord I hate the Options books. Give me strength . . .

Anyway, if you're looking for something sorta kinda like a warlock (meaning all kinds of blasty at will), you really won't find anything. Unlimited wandering damage seriously doesn't function within the AD&D paradigm and I highly recommend against homebrewing something like that into it.

However, the Spellfire whomajigger from the Forgotten Realms books (Hall of Heroes had it I think) skirts that realm, though you do have to recharge and such and run the risk of meltdown if you're not careful.

Just a reminder, if you are in Ravenloft, beware that any pact with non-deity entities (and often with deities themselves) is the bullet train to becomming lost to the demi-plane forever. Nothing good comes from such pacts in Ravenloft.

LibraryOgre
2010-01-04, 10:23 AM
Lord I hate the Options books. Give me strength . . .

I generally hate 'em, too, but if you've got a specific idea, starting with a priest is generally the best way.

However, the Spellfire whomajigger from the Forgotten Realms books (Hall of Heroes had it I think) skirts that realm, though you do have to recharge and such and run the risk of meltdown if you're not careful.

Not a bad option, actually. I'd forgotten about that.

hamlet
2010-01-04, 10:58 AM
Not a bad option, actually. I'd forgotten about that.

Yeah, but the restrictions (load limits, expulsion limits, involuntary absorption of permanent items, involuntary absorption of beneficial magics, etc.) would have to be scrupulously enforced/inflicted. Otherwise, it gets to be too ridiculous.

SpellFire User: Oh man, I'm really hurting here. Can you heal me so I can keep fighting?

Priest: Sure thing. I cast Cure Serious Wounds on you. You regain . . .

DM: Whoa, hold up there. Your spell fails.

Priest and SpellFire User: Huh?

DM: Yeah, he absorbed it.

SpellFire User: Oh No . . .

DM: Oh yes. That spell puts you over your capacity. Please make a saving throw at -2. {to other players} You all may want to stand back . . .

Players: Oh crud . . .

Matthew
2010-01-05, 04:32 PM
Ah, another thread on the same subject. :smallbiggrin:

I think if the idea is to find classes suited to the desires of the players, you are really going to need to home brew these. A fighter/magician and magician/thief seem like good starting points for the Eldritch Knight/Beguiler (or Spell Thief), respectively.

Snow
2010-01-05, 04:51 PM
Thank you very much, all this information is really usefull. I'm know trying to homebrew something that won't unbalance the game.