PDA

View Full Version : Mage's Magnificient Mansion Questions

Lysander
2010-01-03, 04:46 PM
This spell raises some issues.

1. What happens to creatures that remain inside when the spell expires or is dispelled? Are they unceremoniously dumped out through the entrance or do they remain stranded in some extradimensional limbo?

2. Can you choose what the walls are made out of? I assume you can't create golden pillars, chop them up, and take them outside with you. Or if you can create them, they aren't real and cease existing when taken out of the mansion.

3. What happens if you cast Mage's Magnificient Mansion while inside a previously cast mansion?

4. What would an area dispel magic do if cast inside a mansion?

5. The only way to enter the mansion is through its portal, but is it possible to plane shift out of the mansion?

Flickerdart
2010-01-03, 05:02 PM

1. What happens to creatures that remain inside when the spell expires or is dispelled? Are they unceremoniously dumped out through the entrance or do they remain stranded in some extradimensional limbo?

2. Can you choose what the walls are made out of? I assume you can't create golden pillars, chop them up, and take them outside with you. Or if you can create them, they aren't real and cease existing when taken out of the mansion.

3. What happens if you cast Mage's Magnificient Mansion while inside a previously cast mansion?

5. The only way to enter the mansion is through its portal, but is it possible to plane shift out of the mansion?
1. They get dumped out.
2. The spell doesn't mention removing bits of the house, but even if you could, they'd vanish after the 2 hours/level are up.
3. Yo dawg, we heard you liked MMM, so we put an MMM in your MMM so you can MMMMMM. M.
4. The same thing as if it's cast outside.
5. Yes.

rayne_dragon
2010-01-03, 05:24 PM

Depends on your DM. Some might laugh gleefully and look up obscure rules on multiple overlapping extradimensional effects before deciding that some sort of dimensional tear happens. Others might decide nothing happens or that the duration is extended. Some may have the second mansion open out into no longer existant space after the first expires trapping you between dimensions. Some might let you nest them will no ill effects.

I'd probably have it open a doorway onto the far planes, but that's just because I like having an excuse to use abberations since the Lord of Madness came out.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-03, 05:38 PM
For the record, RAW, with the exception of portable hole+bag of holding, NOTHING happens when multiple extra/non-dimensional areas overlap.

Ozymandias9
2010-01-03, 05:45 PM

2. They are the outcome of a non-instantaneous conjuration. They cease existing at the expiration of the spell.

3. There exists no specific rule to my knowledge, but if you're feeling spiteful, you might adjudicate based on the portable hole/bag of holding interaction rules.

Optimystik
2010-01-03, 05:45 PM
Regarding #3, I would simply have the spell fail if you decide to cast one while inside one. (Why would you want to anyway?)

Ozymandias9
2010-01-03, 08:37 PM
Regarding #3, I would simply have the spell fail if you decide to cast one while inside one. (Why would you want to anyway?)

To see if it goes boom?

Flickerdart
2010-01-03, 08:39 PM
BBEG: You have lured me inside your Magnificent Mansion in hopes to defeat me? Looks like you were a fool, and now you have run out of combat spells! Any last words before I kill you?
Mage: Just two. Magnificent Mansion!
BBEG: AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-04, 12:19 AM
3. What happens if you cast Mage's Magnificient Mansion while inside a previously cast mansion?So, there are these interesting things called vestiges...

Zaydos
2010-01-04, 12:32 AM
#3? I'd have it open a rift into the Astral Plane and the githyanki attack you all. While the BBEG (assuming he was within at the time) with his connections to evil people talks to the githyanki, hops on a dragon and starts casting from there.

Actually next high level game I run this might be the BBEG's evil party trap.

rayne_dragon
2010-01-04, 12:37 AM
For the record, RAW, with the exception of portable hole+bag of holding, NOTHING happens when multiple extra/non-dimensional areas overlap.

RAW is one thing, what your DM decides to do is another. I'm sure my DM would look up some sort of houserule for it, or worse: make something up. I also seem to remember something having to be done about people turning bags of holding inside out and running around wearing them as hats.... Playing around with extradimensional spaces is just asking for your DM to make trouble for you.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-04, 09:42 AM
Isn't a bag of holding 2 feet by 4 feet? How would that make a good hat?

And more importantly, why would you waste thousands of gp on a hat with no mechanical effects? An inside out bag of holding isn't really useful headgear.

I don't see the "Something has to be done" part of this.

Stegyre
2010-01-04, 10:12 AM
For the record, RAW, with the exception of portable hole + bag of holding, does not address the issue.*

Saying nothing is not the same as saying that nothing happens. (Among other things, the second offers some protection from GM discretion; the first does not.)

*Even this is not entirely true. There are occasional other mentions in the rules about unspecified "hazards" of bringing one extradimensional space into another. However, the PH+BH situation is the only one where the rules explicitly state what happens. As has been discussed elsewhere (repeatedly) this is just a relic going back to 1st edition. In practical effect, this area is left to the GM's discretion, caveat player.

bosssmiley
2010-01-04, 10:34 AM

Consult your DM...or your resident Dr Who fan. :smallwink: